Start by marking “How to Boil Water: Life Beyond Takeout (Food Network Kitchens)” as Want to Read:
How to Boil Water: Life Beyond Takeout (Food Network Kitchens)

How to Boil Water: Life Beyond Takeout (Food Network Kitchens)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  281 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
- Shows beginning cooks how to do just what the title implies--and a lot more--without a hint of intimidations.- Features classic comfort foods such as no-flip fried eggs and soul-soothing grilled cheese for one and bolder, ethnic recipes like Tacos Picadillo and Southeast Asian Beef Salad.

- Exquisite photography and Food Network recipes, both inspire and build the confide
Published August 1st 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about How to Boil Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Boil Water

karen
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: eats
four stars because the food network is my guiding angel, and i support any book or magazine they put out because they have always been inventive in their recipes, clear in their directions, and i love the photography in this, and all of their books.

but, it is a cookbook for beginners, so if you are practically a celebrity chef like me, a lot of the techniques and tips will be old news.

but - man - those pictures.

for example, i make an amazing lasagna. but the picture of the one in here still make
Aja: The Narcoleptic Ninja
My parents LOVE to cook. They love to bake, they love to grill, they love making food in general. They also love teaching their kids. My mom taught me to use a computer before most of my classmates knew how to point and click. My dad put me on a bike and held me up, and after I finished my tantrum because he let go when he PROMISED he wouldn’t… I knew how to ride a bike.

Unfortunately, their cooking skills and their teaching skills don’t really mix. My mom’s idea of teaching me to cook was “don’
Elisa
Feb 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
got this as a christmas present (thanks sarah!). i've tried one of the recipes and managed to actually make decent chicken. i even made my first sauce from scratch!! the book assumes you know nothing and explains everything from how to hold a knife properly to where in your fridge to store various food items to where on the animal's body each cut of meat comes from. you know, the stuff i know nada about! it doesn't really give a whole lot of recipes, but it does a good job breaking down some bas ...more
Pam
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Good things about this book:
1. it does what it says, provides a way for beginners to start cooking the basics.

Bad things about this book:
1. in the middle of a recipe it says, "see know-how page 96". For me, I think putting the "know-how" in each recipe would be more clear for beginners, instead of having to flip pages back and forth while cooking.

2. It has lots of little colorful bubbles of info on the pages, making them distracting. What is important to the cooking, and what is fun info? Too b
Jessica
Apr 28, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who want to learn to cook
This book is really helpful for its tips, more than the recipes. None of the recipes looked particularly tantalizing, but it seems to be a good reference for how to cut vegetables and fruits, what parts of the meat you're eating, baking wisdom, etc. There are some pretty basic recipes (toast, pancakes, etc.) but also some more challenging ones (Thanksgiving). I wouldn't recommend this for someone who is already a good cook. In addition, I'd like to check out Alton Brown's I'm Just Here For the F ...more
Kat
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to learn how to cook
Recommended to Kat by: my sister :)
I love this book! Cooking was a mystery, and an intimidating one at that. This is the perfect book for someone who never learned the basics of cooking: Great recipes from scrambled eggs to Thanksgiving dinner, with step by step instructions that are incredibly easy to follow; lists of what items you'll need & how to stock your kitchen cabinets, pantry & fridge; tips on where and how to store items, how long things stay good, how to pick out decent produce....this book has been a lifesave ...more
Natalie
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One day I demanded that Sean start cooking for me, so he set this book down in front of me and I was surprised by how AMAZING it was! Like, I wanna start cooking again! (You're welcome, Sean!) It goes over basic stuff that I actually care about and is interesting, but doesn't make me feel like an idiot. I loved that it had a lot of vegetarian options, but also showed you how you could meat-up the dishes. It even has a wine/beer section! Which is something that I enjoyed getting educated about. A ...more
Chara
Mar 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was the first cookbook I ever bought and actually used. I still use it frequently, although I consider myself no longer a novice chef. Its great for simple ideas and basic recipes. Most of them have ideas for "add ons" to make each recipe more interesting. It gives you basic information about the tools in your kitchen and how to choose good produce.

I would consider it a "must have" for anyone beginning to cook!
Kurt
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. The photos,diagrams, and glossaries are both attractive and helpful. My mother gave me this book for Christmas in my first year to live alone, and I still go to it again and again for ideas (the cucumber-radish salad on the page with the salmon recipes is an impressive crowd-pleaser that really isn't difficult). It has forever changed the way I cut bell peppers, if nothing else. I can not recommend this book highly enough for beginning cooks.
Kellea
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This is a fantastic book. Great for anyone just starting out but also a great read for anyone who wants to know why certain basic procedures should be done when preparing for cooking and searching for the perfect foods. How to Boil Water by Food Network Kitchens would make a great graduation or newlywed gift.
William
Nov 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
This is by far my favorite cooking book. I purchased it for my wife a year or two ago, and for me being someone completely clueless on what to do and when as far as cooking goes it is the perfect companion.

The diagrams breakdown the most basic of tasks in such a way that even a simpleton such as myself can follow the instructions with ease.
Julia
Aug 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books, owned
Great for beginners in the kitchen (as indicated by the title :P). Lots of pretty pictures but still meaty with good tips and content. A point-of-sale purchase that I'll actually use into the future!
Carmen
Mar 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Really I like it more for the instructional pictures on cutting and other techniques. Not all of the recipes appeal to me but the ones I have tried came out well. If you are like me and were never taught how to cook when you were younger, then this book is a perfect start!
Rociel
Apr 17, 2009 rated it liked it
i was given this book two summers ago and i sometime ilook inside and everything seems so brand new adn oh so yummy. I like this book. It make me feel healthy when really the menu is a little high in calories... but then again who's counting?... not me!
Mike Smith
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Good, solid cook book. I liked all the tips on buying, handling, chopping, etc. They like adding salt to everything, which seems to be common to most cookbooks. I thought salt was out of vogue as an additive because it's in so much processed stuff already.
Dayna
Oct 06, 2007 rated it liked it
I don't know why I originally gave this cookbook four stars. I never even cooked anything out of it. I do remember that I liked all the information and the way it's presented. It's certainly an attractive book. Covers the basics, across the board. Recommend for absolute beginners.
Jocie
Feb 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
If you are a visual-oriented person who doesn't know how to boil eggs or cut veggies, this books is for you!
Great illustration! A little too single-person-with-lots-of-time-and-money, though. A little too much meat for me, also.
Katie
Aug 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Don't laugh! It's a very helpful book! And the recipies are nice and easy!
Natalie
Aug 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks, 2008
Oh, ranch dressing!
Emily
Mar 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Awesome. A keep-with-you-at-all-times kind of reference.
Amy Sjoquist
Oct 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
Didn't read all the recipes but jotted down a lot of notes on basics.
Truly
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great food resource book!
Jules
Feb 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This is a good book for a new cook. It helps explain what kitchen terms mean, from how to zest a lemon to how to pick a side of meat.
Jessie
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-star-reads
This is a great book for novice chefs. It teaches knife skills as well as other fundamentals of cooking. The recipes are easy to make and well laid-out. This is a great first cookbook for someone.
Courtney
Jan 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
3.5 for me. But higher for people that have never cooked.
There are a few recipes I plan on trying. Curious how much flavor they have though.
Tasha
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Perfect cook book for people who know very little about cooking, AKA myself!
Lindsay
Jan 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Instructions on how to make microwave popcorn were nice... and I actually managed to successfully make it twice! 2/3 is not bad especially when you consider my track record.
James
Jul 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book features good tips for beginners and lots of pretty pictures, but the information is not organized well and a majority of recipes didn't appeal to me.
Kathleen
Feb 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Essential for anyone who is pretty helpless in the kitchen.
Leah S
Aug 06, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Betty Crocker's Cooking Basics: Learning to Cook with Confidence
  • Taste of Home: Simple & Delicious Cookbook
  • Martha Stewart's Dinner at Home: 52 Quick Meals to Cook for Family and Friends
  • Top Chef the Cookbook
  • Sky High: Irresistible Triple-Layer Cakes
  • The Book Club Cookbook
  • The Frankies Spuntino Kitchen Companion  Cooking Manual
  • Quick & Easy Chinese: 70 Everyday Recipes
  • Breakfast Comforts (Williams-Sonoma): With Enticing Recipes for the Morning, including Favorite Dishes from Restaurants Around the Country
  • Lidia's Family Table
  • Zingerman's Guide to Good Eating: How to Choose the Best Bread, Cheeses, Olive Oil, Pasta, Chocolate, and Much More
  • Saving Dinner: The Menus, Recipes, and Shopping Lists to Bring Your Family Back to the Table
  • Cooking
  • More Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: A Drop-Top Culinary Cruise Through America's Finest and Funkiest Joints
  • How to Bake: Complete Guide to Perfect Cakes, Cookies, Pies, Tarts, Breads, Pizzas, Muffins,
  • Mario Batali Simple Italian Food: Recipes from My Two Villages
  • Tyler Florence Family Meal: Bringing People Together Never Tasted Better
  • The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook: Stories and Recipes for Southerners and Would-be Southerners