Start by marking “The Taken” as Want to Read:
The Taken

The Taken

She's a beautiful little girl, only ten years old with pretty blond curls. Why, then, does she strike such terror into all who see her? Because she died thirty years ago—a horrible, agonizing death in the middle of a raging thunderstorm. Tonight the storm has returned… and so has she.

She has returned from a shadowy realm unseen by the living to exact revenge on those respo
Mass Market Paperback, 323 pages
Published April 3rd 2007 by Leisure Books (first published April 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Taken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Taken

W.D.
Oct 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This review is going to be completely different than every other view I've done and possible will do after this one. I struggled with trying to figure out how to write it. Why? Because for me to talk about the writing of the book as as both a reader and a writer, it would mean I would have to get incredibly personal. Now, I have no qualms talking about myself in a conversation with a person who asks intimate questions about who I am. But there is difference in my mind when a person posts those s ...more
Randolph
Mar 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, fiction, owned
Mass market novel in the SK/McCammon mold that manages to rise above the mediocre by taking some chances with the usual horror plot tropes. Not Shakespeare by any means but buoyed up by above average prose and well drawn characters. A nice entertaining read with a bittersweet finish.
Josh
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
While not as ambitious or structurally impressive as The Hidden, the pacing in this one is perfect, and it's got atmosphere in spades. There are a couple of very effective gory bits, but for the most part it's a quiet, slow burn kind of story that goes in some interesting and unexpected directions. Endings can make or break a book for me, and the ending to this one couldn't be better. So sad, yet so hopeful. This is the second book I've read by Pinborough, and it certainly won't be the last.
Matt
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Decent supernatural novel set in a small town in England. I didn’t connect with any of the characters despite Pinborough’s attempts to make them relatable or interesting. I didn’t dislike any of them but I didn’t necessarily care about them either. That essentially sums up my attitude toward the book as a whole. It was ok but forgettable. The small town setting was not bad but it could have been explored more to add creepiness to the story. The plot was a little ambitious but I didn’t find it to ...more
Dylan
Jul 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any fan of horror and supernatural
Recommended to Dylan by: found on own
Shelves: my-bookshelf
I love this book! It's about a ghost that comes back in a storm bent on revenge for what happened 30 years ago in a thunderstorm. It's full of suspense, and a light gore factor. I highly recommend this book and this author!
Kasia
Jun 19, 2010 rated it liked it
After reading three of Pinbrough's horror novels I get a sense of her comfort laying in small village or town settings. Her strengths are apparent in the well placed sense of dread and creepiness woven from the beginning, she builds up good characters, places them in an interesting setting, makes the reader involved in their life and then sneaks in something malevolent, waiting to break it all apart. It's almost hard to read but I guess that's how authors get us to care.

Small rural town of Watte
Bandit
May 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, my second read by Pinborough. She's such a talented writer, I very much enjoyed the creepy claustrophobic atmosphere of a small village cut off from the world by a downpour and her characters are very well written, especially the main one of Alex. Very quick good read, I highly recommend this one.
Anne Hanks
Feb 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was my first book by this author and I enjoyed it quite a bit. The Taken tells the story of a terminally ill woman in a small antiquated village in the UK and the supernatural happenings surrounding the disappearance of a local child decades before. Very imaginative and I definitely recommend this book
Mark R.
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
**1/2

Sarah Pinborough’s “The Taken” opens with some familiar genre tropes: a mysterious death, ghostly children, small town families that go back years and years. The descriptions of the small England town are top-notch, while some of the narrative descriptions can be a little lazy (I don’t know how many times someone wondered, silently, “Just what the hell was going on?”).

A mean little kid named Melanie was killed years ago, but the older folks in town don’t seem to want to talk about it. But t
John Bruni
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
It took a bit of work for me to get into this one, which is unusual when I'm reading a book by Pinborough, whose work I love. It took maybe a quarter of the book before it clicked in my head, and I loved the hell out of the rest of it. There is a particularly gruesome scene that was the pivot point for me. And it was so well done that it kind of got to me, which is very hard to do. This marks the second time Pinborough was able to do this. There are several scenes that are really hard to read, i ...more
Alan
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. Great plot and good characters. Death is not to be feared, but embraced.
Elusive
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: review
In ‘The Taken’, the ghost of Melanie Parr returns to her childhood village in order to take revenge on those who have wronged her. Soon, a series of disturbing deaths incites fear in the hearts of the helpless residents. Alex – a woman diagnosed with ovarian cancer, her cousin Paul and his friend Simon band together to figure out how to put an end to this vicious cycle of murder.

After reading and loving ‘The Reckoning’ by this author, I had somewhat high expectations for this book but I found it
Derek
Jul 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Dear Brett,

This book was pretty good. I have been trying to get a hold of A Matter of Blood for a little while now because http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/ can't stop gushing about it and the whole The Dog-Faced Gods series. Since the library didn't have any of the latter-mentioned series, I thought I'd try one of Pinborough's other books as a primer. This particular book won out exclusively on ease of availability.

First off, the book's premise of "lost kids coming back to exact revenge"
Morgan Dhu
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Horror is not my favourite genre, but every once in a while, I get a craving for a tale of the supernatural - largely, I think, because when done the way I like it, a horror story is above all a story about morality, about right and wrong, good and evil, justice and revenge, sacrifice and redemption. All that good archetypal gut-level stuff. And happily, I discovered as I read it that Sarah Pinborough's The Taken is my kind of horror story.

It's a classic haunted house story, on a wider scale -
Kendra
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I happened upon this book by chance and I would love to say that I was hooked from the beginning and I never put it down, but that isn't true, well at least half of it. I was hooked and thought the concept was really great I just couldn't stick with it. I started this book a while ago and always found my way back to it. It was interesting but for some reason it couldn't hold my interest. But then on the way home from work I thought I'd give it another chance and finish something I started an BOO ...more
Jan
In a small English farming village, Alex watches and a storm rages and her life falls apart around her. Inside the unrelenting storm, strange children are appearing and mysterious deaths are occurring. Slowly Alex unwinds the mystery of the last time such a storm came to town, 30 years ago.

This is a really good "ghost" story. It is creepy and compelling. I really liked many of the characters, flawed as they were. This is a great winter's read. Curl up with something warm to drink and enjoy.
Susan
Oct 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, supernatural
The beginning of the book felt a bit slow though this may also be attributed to the fact that I dislike being kept hanging for too long before getting the back story. Especially since the back story was a key factor to understanding what was going on in the present. Once the book got going, I found it to be an enjoyable "ride".
Martha
Oct 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
I learned from this book that I am right to avoid horror--I really don't enjoy it! I didn't actually find this book scary as much as gory/gross (although I understand that by horror standards this book is very mild), and there were quite a few minor editorial errors that I found irritating. I will say, however, that malevolent children always make for a nice creepy horror device.....
Shyla Warrington
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I sat down to read this one before bed, and I didn't stop until I turned the last page. I was up ALL night. The unique twist at the end, and the job that Alex ends up doing, they almost brought me to tears! I just find the whole concept very original and I'm not going to spill it for future readers by revealing the plot here :-) just know that it's miles away from your typical ghost story.
Karen Jones
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Pretty good horror story about evil children, particularly one evil child who seeks revenge against the people in the English village where she died. Satisfying ending. What I didn't like were the many grammatical and spelling errors. The writer is a hs English teacher...hmmm.
Elso
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
First take on "The Taken" by Sarah Pinborough is all good. Terror and just scary stuff is what you will expect. Small country towns adjacent to dense woodlands have always remained a fascination for me.
Deirdre Skaggs
Nov 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-reads
I had no idea that Sarah Pinborough is a horror writer when I picked this book up. I was pleasantly surprised--and reminded that I have a soft spot for good horror, as grotesque as that may sound.
Glenn Rolfe
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paperback-lbhc
Review to come....I really enjoyed this one.
Deepa
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing read! I got chills while reading this book. It was exciting, suspenseful, and tragic. Definitely recommend this book to those who love horror novels!
Karen
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: appeal-emotions
Pinborough's language deftly unsettles, disturbs, and evokes fear. She us a master at making your skin prickle in a few short paragraphs.
Sheryl
Aug 15, 2013 added it
A slow start, leading to a compelling old fashioned good scare. I was very disappointed with the ending. I had expected so more more.
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have a new favorite horror writer. There are parts of this book that will haunt me forever.
Paula
Feb 07, 2010 rated it liked it
I've give this one 3.5 stars if I could (but not 4).
alicia grant
Sep 07, 2008 rated it liked it
This was okay a little strange.Started off really good then got weird at the end.A small town has strange deaths and a girl who disappeared 30 yrs ago seems to be getting her revenge.
Ginny
Apr 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
I liked the whole story, but the ending wasn't how I expected. It could have been better.

• The Mountain King
  • Water Witch
  • My Vacation in Hell
  • A Darker State (Karin Müller #3)
  • The Nightmare Stone
  • Bad Things
  • Audrey's Door
  • Danny's Mom
  • The Darkest Part of the Woods
  • Inheritance
  • Graveyard Blues (Night Blues, #1)
  • How the French Won Waterloo - or Think They Did
  • Attic Toys
  • Nightsiders
  • Tom Rob Smith Trilogy
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • Shift (Gate of Orpheus Trilogy #1)
  • In Silent Graves (Cedar Hill #1)
Sarah Pinborough is the NYT bestselling and Sunday Times #1 Bestselling author of 'Behind Her Eyes' which has sold in over 25 territories thus far and is in development for television with Left Bank productions. She has also written books across a variety of genres including the YA thriller 13 Minutes (in development with Netflix). Her next novel 'Cross Her Heart' comes out from HarperFiction in t ...more