Start by marking “More Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: 200 Brand-New, Budget-Friendly, Slow-Cooker Recipes” as Want to Read:

The New York Times bestselling author of slow-cooker cookbook Make It Fast, Cook It Slow returns with budget (and gluten-free!) meals that will satisfy the entire family. Stephanie O'Dea's 200 delicious recipes include Baked Herbed Feta Smoky Bean and Corn Soup Maple-Glazed Pork Chops Moroccan Chicken with Lentils Apple-Pecan Bread Pudding Orange and Honey Tilapia Chocolat ...more
Published December 28th 2010 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about More Make It Fast, Cook It Slow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Make It Fast, Cook It Slow

Start your review of More Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: 200 Brand-New, Budget-Friendly, Slow-Cooker Recipes
Raelena
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love to cook, but here is the problem...I'm kiiiinda broke and honestly, I'm lazy (yeah, I will admit to that). If I can just throw stuff in a pot, come back 4-8 hours later and it is edible I am all for it. Slow-cookers are the way to go. This cook book has 200 recipes! All of them are simple and budget friendly. The majority of the ingredients for most of the recipes are things that I typically already have in the pantry. I really like the convenience of that.

The recipes are sorted by price:
Grace
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love to read Stephanie O'Dea's cookbooks. She knows how to create a fun atmosphere as she takes you along with her on her journey to create a new crock pot meal for each day of the year(first book) or how to cook creative meals with ingredients you probably have in your pantry (second book). She makes me chuckle when she says things like this, "Skin the bird (assuming you are using a whole chicken) and toss out the neck and the stuff from inside. (Shudder a few times.)" Her "verdicts" on each ...more
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the follow-up book to Make It Fast, Cook It Slow and is a great companion to the original book. What sets these two apart is that this book chunks recipes into price ranges that feed a family of four. It was a little confusing at first, but each chapter has the recipes listed on the first page, so if you are in a rush to find something to make there is a central location.
Tanya
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I am glad that I came across these books by accident as thry have quite a few good recipes in them. It's hard to find new and flavorful recipes using the crockpot. This lady has done and and I am thankful for that. I can't wait to make the rest of the yummy recipes I have found in this cookbook.
Chi Dubinski
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent slow cooker cookbook, with an emphasis on healthy ingredients and gluten free. I checked out a copy from the library, but I think I will purchase one for myself--too many good recipes.
Dolly
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: slow cooker fans
I have been a big fan of Stephanie O'Dea's food blog, A Year of Slow Cooking for a couple of years now. As a working mom who treasures home-cooked family dinners, I couldn't survive without my crockpot. I have experimented some with my crockpot, but I must admit that I mainly stick to family favorites. When I look up a recipe on her website, it's usually to get directions for something I've already decided to make.

When I discovered that she'd written some cookbooks, I thought it'd be interestin
Cory
Nov 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
Plenty of cookbooks claim to be perfect for the busy, health-conscious parent - this one actually is. The slow-cooker is genuinely a lifesaver for some of us, and like O'Dea's first book, this one helps you get the max from it. The recipes are designed with gluten intolerance in mind, there's plenty of vegetarian options, and all consider both nutrition and price. And the majority are kid tested and approved.

I do have a couple of minor gripes, though. Stephanie O'Dea's concept of healthy doesn't
Naomi
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this cookbook, but not as much as the author's first cookbook, Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: The Big Book of Everyday Slow Cooking. She didn't have as many good recipes as the later one. The other thing that I found re: all O'dea cookbooks is that you can go on the author's blog and all the recipes are on there. I was able to print off the majority of the recipes I wanted to add to my collection without purchasing the cookbook. ...more
Hilary
Loved her first book, which is what got me into making my own yogurt. This one focuses on budget friendly crock pot meals. Love crock pot stuff so I can focus on the kids during that bewitching hour of 4pm and not be stressed about what the heck I'm gonna cook for dinner. Btw, anyone have any good hints for meal planning? I am always trying new stuff, so the Master Meal Plan idea does not interest me.
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
A really great selection of recipes. I don't pay a huge amount of attention to the cost divisions, since sales and coupons make the cost of grocery shopping a crapshoot. That being said, the variety and instructions are excellent, and O'Dea's "verdicts" are entertaining. There are a number of recipes I'm adding to my notebook for future use!
Ashley
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this cookbook. Not only are there great recipes but they are budget friendly recipes. There was one thing I didn't like about this book and that is that there were absolutely no pictures. I like to see what my food is supposed to look like even if it never turns out looking the way it is supposed to. I look forward to trying some of these recipes.
Lei
Sep 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Although I have only made two of the recipes so far, there was a nice selection of recipes in this cookbook. The two recipes that I have tried (General TSO's Chicken and Red Potatoes with Rosemary and Garlic) were very tasty and the recipes were easy to throw together.
Darcy
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
While I haven't tried any of these recipes yet, I have marked about half to copy and try. I can't wait and will try to work one in a week. What I like about them is that the recipes look easy and the food is good comfort food.
Susan
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I checked this out at the library & it's definitely on my "to buy" list. The recipes are quick, easy & cheap, which are three pluses for me. My only issue is that she sorted the recipes by cost rather than type & it's a little difficult to thumb through if your looking for a specific kind of dish. ...more
Christiana
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-books
This woman is my slow cooking God. So far made the sloppy lentils and they were really good! I plan to make even more. You should see the post-it tags I have in this! Sweet potato chili: I'm coming for you.
Erin
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Not as good as the original, I didn't love the layout as much. But still this is a great slowcooker book and while you don't think of using this as much in the spring and summer you should. Your delicious meal is read when you get home and you don't have to heat up your house using the oven
Sylvia
Mar 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Not as good as the original "Make It Fast, Cook It Slow", but there are a few winners in this cookbook.
Heather
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Since I loved the first one so much, I went and bought this one too.
Holly
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love, as well as with her first cookbook, the recipes in this one!
I hate using my stove/oven and I love my crockpot
Carolyn
Oct 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Ok recipes. Not always healthful, and often lacking in flavor. I've picked through and tagged some favorites and will continue to refer back to them.
Karen
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Her first book was more fun to read, but this follow-up is also filled with some great looking crock-pot recipes, many of which are grain free, or easily adapted.
Shirley
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I didn't know all of the recipes are gluten free. I marked a bunch and there were new country dishes. These could be freezer make ahead meals too.
Rachel
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
Got this from the library. It has a lot of cheap and easy recipes that I'd like to try. I'm thinking that this book will need to be purchased.
karin smith
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• A Long Petal of the Sea
  • Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir
  • The Authenticity Project
  • Before and After: The Incredible Real-Life Stories of Orphans Who Survived the Tennessee Children's Home Society
  • The Order of the Pure Moon Reflected in Water
  • Caught in Crystal (Lyra #4)
  • The Angel of the Crows
  • Kid Gloves: Nine Months of Careful Chaos
  • Islandborn
  • Piranesi
  • A Deadly Education (The Scholomance, #1)
  • A Declaration of the Rights of Magicians
  • How I Learned to Drive
  • The Angel of Darkness (Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, #2)
  • The Accidental Alchemist
  • The Mercies
  • Aunt Dimity Slays the Dragon (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #14)
  • Slow Cooker: The Best Cookbook Ever
STEPHANIE O’DEA is a New York Times best-selling author and award-winning blogger who has been featured on Rachael Ray and Good Morning America. Her websites garner over a million hits a month, and she currently has over 60,000 email subscribers.