Start by marking “What If There Were No Bees?: A Book about the Grassland Ecosystem” as Want to Read:
What If There Were No Bees?: A Book about the Grassland Ecosystem

What If There Were No Bees?: A Book about the Grassland Ecosystem

Grassland ecosystems can be found on nearly every continent. Countless animals and plants live in them. So what difference could the loss of one animal species make? Follow the chain reaction, and discover how important honey bees are.
Published August 1st 2010 by Picture Window Books (first published July 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about What If There Were No Bees?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What If There Were No Bees?

Start your review of What If There Were No Bees?: A Book about the Grassland Ecosystem
Alice
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational
In this incredibly information book on why bees are so important, the author takes us through a journey of all the ways bees help our world. From pollinating flowers and making honey, to the relationship bees have with nature's food chain, this book teaches children not only about bees, but the importance of keeping them alive and healthy on our planet forever. Without bees, our world wouldn't be what it is today.

I discovered this book in the beginning semesters at New Paltz for a text set, and
Sarah Childs
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cl-informational
Summary: This book teaches readers about grassland ecosystems and their significance. It follows the chain reaction of what would happen if a species, even as little as the honeybee, were to disappear from the ecosystem.

Review: This book contains a good amount of information about the grassland ecosystem which exists in almost every continent and what would happen if the honeybee disappeared. The book uses a variety of text features to educate young readers in an entertaining way.

Books to pair
Ashley B.
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book talked about how bees are a keystone species and how without them lots of animals will be effected. This book encourages the reader to think about what the world would look like without bees. Yes they are small, but they are mighty. Without bees, there are no strawberries. The pictures in the book also have blacked out figures of animals and plants that would no longer be there if there were no bees in the world. The combination of the words and the graphics help the reader to understa ...more
Olga Gula
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Published 2010
Genre: Informational
Theme: Save the bees, pollination, one small insect brings big change

This was a very informative book on all that bees do for our lives and goes through scenarios of what would occur if bees were extinct. There is a lot of big vocabulary words in this book so I would have to pause as we read to make sure students are following along with the vocab. I would read this book for earth day and teach about the importance of bees and perhaps even have the students plan
Alycia Kelly
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great informational children’s literature piece. This book goes into detail about bees and how they live, as well as their importance to our world. This book is one of four Food Chain Reaction books. In the back of the book, a glossary can be found. I found this book to be quite informational and extremely interesting! It was neat to read a book on how something so small can affect the grassland ecosystem so tremendously.
Jasmine Stocker
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational
This entire series is very informational about the effects of a food web and if part of that web wasn't in this world anymore. Each page is filled with very factual information, which includes the "it's critical" boxes on each page full of fun facts for students. The glossary in the back aids children who don't understand a word in the book. I loved the illustrations and how they made it more impactful by blacking out the creatures affected by the extinction of bees.
Billy Noecker
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I thought this book was very interesting because it posed a very important question as well as giving us background information that many students might not realize. Most people would not realize just how important bees are to our ecosystem. This book does a great job of showing us the chain of events and the things we simply would not have if bees were to be extinct. It brings about very important ecological questions that young students are learning to understand.
Megan Gavin
Shelves: infomational
I think this book did a fantastic job describing what all bees do and what would happen if they were no longer around. I didn't even know that the smell of mice droppings could lead to bees leaving a hive. Even at 20 years old I still learned something from this short book about bees. The critical facts were also eye openers to help students understand how critical a bee's job is. I think this book would be a great way to introduce a new subject on bees, plants, pollination, or even ecosystems.
Josie Marie
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
What If There Were No Bees? was a very interesting book about the importance of bees in todays society. The book highlighted ways in which bees are being harmed, for example by pollution, pesticides and mice. It also discussed how the possible extinction of bees would hurt many difference species because they are relied on the pollinate many different kinds of food producing plants. This book would be a great learning tool for any young class.
Bekka Pierson
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Genre: Informational - This book highlighted the importance of honey bees and how much they serve us as people. Just like us, they are apart of a food chain. They also have many preditors. They are known as a keystone species and are located on every continent excpt for Antartica! I could see this book being used in my classroom to stress the importance of bees in a science lesson on food chains or ecosystems! Genre: Informational
Bekka Pierson
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Raquel Schmitt
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 10-informal
This book does a great job of explaining what bees do, the food chain and how they are endangered, and what would happen if bees went extinct. The bees are essential to growing foods such as fruits and vegetables. Farmers need bees to be successful. Other animals would have a hard time surviving also because of the decline in food. The book does a great job of explaining and outlining why bees are needed.
Haley Weepie
The book, "What If There Were No Bees?" gave several examples of how the world would be different without bees. This book mainly focused on the grassland ecosystem also. Some things in the world that would be impacted were plants, animals, and fruits. I think that this book would be beneficial to use in a science class or it could be used during a save the bees unit.
Kaitlyn Kluesner
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story explains simply why bees are important to our ecosystem. Many pictures are included to help people of all ages understand the importance. My favorite part of this book was on every page they had a little section called "It's Critical" where it shared little facts on how bees and ourselves play important roles in our ecosystem.
Sierra Dirksen
Shelves: informational
Before this book, I did not realize how important bees were. I though I would be fine without them. However, this book taught be that bees are important to us in many ways. Throughout the book, it is explained the different things that would go wrong without bees. It is a book that can teach both children and adults lessons.
Makenzie Soeken
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: informational
This book walks readers through the chain of events that would potentially occur if bees became extinct. Throughout the book readers learn that bees support all kinds of life, and are good for a lot more than just making sweet and delicious honey. Readers also learn that bees are native to every continent, so a world without bees would be a world in trouble!
Kylee Champlin
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: informational
This informational book was very vibrant with pictures and grabs the readers attention with those illustrations as well as the important facts. It shows what the world would be like without honeybees. I thought this showed great examples of this while keeping the reader interested with a simple storyline.
Samantha Hansel
Informational- this book is great for teaching students about bees and what they do for the ecosystem. The book talks about how if there are no bees than humans would struggle to grow flowers and other things. The book could be used during a bee lesson and would intrigue the students with the pictures in the book.
Sidney McQuade
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational
This book does a great job about sharing what our world would be like without bees. It also shares the extreme importance of bees and what they do. This would be a great teaching tool for students to be more aware and cautious of animal kingdoms and the chain reaction effect that takes place when one stops functioning properly or goes extinct.
Shelby Steen
This is a book about what would happen if bees became extinct. This would be good for all ages even high school. For younger kids it would show them why all animals are important, while in older kids it would show a simplified version of the food web. I would use this book to help students understand the food web.
Kristin Fisher
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great informational book that shows that even though bees are small animals, they are very important to the ecosystem and they keep many things we see daily living. Children may change their view on bees and not kill them when they see them.
Gabrielle
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book had a lot of interesting facts about bees! It talks about the variety of plants and animals that bees affect. It also explains what animals and plants may not be here if it weren't for bees. This book has a glossary and I think that is extremely helpful especially for young readers!
Ibrieal
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: informational
What If There No Bees? is an informative book about bees. I would incorporate this book into a lesson about the ecosystem. I would have students draw their own bees and write facts they learned in the bee and we'll hang them up around the classroom.
Jaden
Informational

What If There Were No Bees? This book follows a chain about how tons of other animals who live all over the continent would be affected if there were no bees. Bees play a huge roll in many other plants and animals lives.
Abigail Evans
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed how this book provided a lot of new information about bees and how things used by farmers and other people affect them. I also enjoyed the "it's critical" facts at the bottom of the pages. For example, I didn't know that bees were a keystone species.
Emily
Shelves: picture-books
This is a good book to show children how important bees are in a simple way. Definitely a good read for kids!
Jareese Williams
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent book for children to think about how something so little can make a enormous impact in our society.
Rebecca Caufman
Book about what would happen if there were no bees. Bright colorful illustrations and not an overwhelming amount of text on each page. Focuses on bees importance to the grasslands food web.
Susan Kennedy
This book explains keystone species and food chains. Particularly focused on grasslands.
Larissia
Shelves: informational
An easy way to talk about the importance of animals’role in the ecosystem and just how easily life would change if something happens to even the smallest creature or plant.
« previous 1 3 next »

• I Am Enough
  • No, David!
  • Mrs. Wishy-Washy
  • Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
  • Bees (Time To Discover)
  • The Rainbow Fish