Start by marking “City of Glass” as Want to Read:
City of Glass

City of Glass

A graphic novel classic with a new introduction by Art Spiegelman

Quinn writes mysteries. The Washington Post has described him as a “post-existentialist private eye.” An unknown voice on the telephone is now begging for his help, drawing him into a world and a mystery far stranger than any he ever created in print.

Adapted by Paul Karasik and David Mazzucchelli, with graphi
Published August 1st 2004 by Picador (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about City of Glass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of Glass

Start your review of City of Glass
Kevin Kelsey
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
Such a great adaptation of the Paul Auster novel. In the original City of Glass, the labyrinthine feel of the story was created through Auster's prose. In this adaptation, it's illustrated through beautifully creative visuals. It made me want to read Auster's book again, just to experience it through a new interpretive lens.
Orsodimondo
ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY

description

Credo che fosse il 1991, l’anno in cui ho incontrato Paul Auster per la prima volta: La musica del caso.
E fu subito amore.
Amore grande: c’erano in Auster umori che in letteratura mi sembravano insoliti, fuori, e oltre, che all’epoca percepivo solo nel cinema (non per niente l’esperienza cinematografica di Auster è sostanziosa e fortunata).
Città di vetro era introvabile, così come la raccolta completa, la Trilogia di New York: fuori catalogo, e le biblio
Scott Mccloud
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not only a fantastic, engrossing read, but also the most teachable comic I know. My students in a recent 9 week class took a deep dive into the book and found layers of depth even I was unaware of.

It's also an adaptation that's true to the original, but does much more than merely illustrate the text. It uses every tool in the comics toolbox.
Sam
May 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
the original City of Glass, by paul auster, was a book that i enjoyed greatly when i first read it. i thought it was really unique, a thoughtful, stylish blend of raymond chandler, kafka, and borges. i still like it, but it hasn't aged that well for me. a lot of what i thought was playfulness now seems precious, facile. the prose is polished, but by the same token oddly eroded, flat, sanded down. often it feels like auster doesn't actually inhabit the english language--he reads like he's always ...more
Shannon
This graphic novel was based on a novella by the same author and Comic Journals voted this in the top 100 for the 20th century. It's about a writer who takes on the role of his detective character to investigate a mystery but this choice sends him down a path of obsessive madness.

It blurs the line between reality and fantasy and even identity as the author of this tale finds himself changing roles, stories and overall identities. The voices coming out of objects and gradual changes and pullback
João Carlos

5 Estrelas Gráficas

Li o romance ”A Trilogia de Nova Iorque” do escritor norte-americano Paul Auster (n. 1947) no início dos anos 90, uma obra inicialmente publicada em três partes (”Cidade de Vidro”, ”Fantasmas” e ”O Quarto Fechado”).
Decorridos mais de vinte anos começo a ler ”Cidade de Vidro”, uma ”novela gráfica”, adaptada por Paul Karasik (n. 1956) e David Mazzucchelli (n. 1960), sob os auspícios de Art Spiegelman (n. 1948).
A adaptação de um “bom” romance ao cinema é de tal forma comum que ra
Mikheil
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Despite the fact I remembered original novel (including ending, etc.) by Paul Auster, I enjoyed having one day with this comic and think that it is worth reading. Brilliant from the very beginning to the very last page. The ideas of climbing inside an imaginary skin of someone you don’t know, chasing the ghostly footsteps of unknown man, vanishing into the heart of megalopolis seem still catchy for me. While reading I remembered the first time I read novel ”City of Glass” and I loved the nostalg ...more
George Georgiadis
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hamburger
Θα ήταν πραγματικά αδύνατον το οποιοδήποτε graphic novel να φτάσει τα βάθη και τις λογοτεχνικές κορυφές της νουβέλας του Auster. Παρ'όλα αυτά, στο συγκεκριμένο έχει γίνει εξαιρετική δουλειά τόσο στην εικονογράφηση όσο και στην προσπάθεια να κρατηθεί το ύφος και ο πυρήνας της ιστορίας του αυθεντικού κειμένου του Auster. Έτσι, το αποτέλεσμα αποζημιώνει και με το παραπάνω, κυρίως με τα εκπληκτικής ομορφιάς σκίτσα που καταφέρνουν να μετουσιώσουν σε εικόνες τα διάφορα περιστατικά που λαμβάνουν χώρα σ ...more
blueisthenewpink
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
[magyarul lentebb]

On my journey of discovering graphic novels... just kidding, I have no intention of doing that. But I really liked this one. With a foreword by Maus's Art Spiegelman, City of Glass has a great story written amazingly (that should not come as a surprise, it's Auster after all), so it had a strong skeleton. But the graphics were not just illustrations either, they helped the story transform into something new. I found an original idea on every page, in the creative use of the gri
Violet
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
I haven't read the original book, but the story seems so unbelievable that I doubt I would enjoy it as a novel.
The visuals of this graphic novel told the most interesting story, despite the loosely held together strings that are the existential plot. I didn't see the deconstruction of language in the story at all.
I would describe the adaption of City of Glass (and possibly the novel itself) as Film Noir for 13 year-olds.
Casey McLaughlin
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Pure masturbation. Lots of build up with no closure. Lazy. Reminded me of the show "Lost", the endless questions keep you going until you realize they have given you no answers. Perfect bookshelf filler for the pseudo-intellectual.
Mattia Ravasi
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Video review

How do you move into a different medium a story that's written to remain stubbornly anchored to its native one?
Guilherme Smee
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hqs, policial
Considero a adaptação do conto Cidade de Vidro, de Paul Auster, para os quadrinhos por Paul Karasik e David Mazzucchelli, o melhor trabalho de transcrição de uma outra mídia para os quadrinhos. Digo isso porque seus artífices conhecem profundamente o potencial da linguagem dos quadrinhos e isso pode ser verificado em outros quadrinhos seus, como o Asterios Polyp de David Mazzuchelli. De longe essa adaptação é que mais usa e abusa dos recursos gráficos e narrativos de uma história em quadrinhos p ...more
Mientras Leo
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pocas veces me he encontrado con una adaptación tan bien llevada pese a la dificultad de la obra original. Es casi más un complemento añadido que una adaptación
Chris
Apr 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nonsensical, pretentious and pointless.
Andrew
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Dominick
Interesting comics adaptation of Auster's novel is very strong on graphic design. Karasik and Mazzucchelli do some remarkable work with layout and panel design, with mixing representational and symbolic art. It's a pleasure to look at. Narratively, though, this is a highly self-conscious and post-modern take on noir. It includes the expected elements--first-person narrative, femme fatale, long-hidden secrets, etc.--but it's not really interested in telling a story so much as exploring subjectivi ...more
Núria
'La ciudad de cristal' es mi favorita de todas las cosas que ha escrito Paul Auster. Es también lo primero que leí de este escritor. Es la primera parte de la 'Trilogía de Nueva York' que a día de hoy me sigue pareciendo la única obra de Auster realmente conseguida. Es por esto que me animé a leer esta adaptación en forma de cómic (o novela gráfica, lo que ustedes prefieran). Una parte de mí no era muy optimista. Una parte de mí sólo quería leerlo para ver como este noble intento fracasaba. Sin ...more
Kristen
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most moving, weird, horrifying, heart-stopping graphic novels I've ever read, and there aren't many friends I'll be recommending it to- but I loved it.

I kept singing the Fionn Regan song that says, "For the loneliness you foster/ I suggest Paul Auster," as the book deals with the themes of language, names, identity, and how we use all those things to both reveal and conceal.

"Things have broken apart, and our words have not adapted. If we can't name a common object, how can we
Luis
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Se trata de una novela gráfica que relata el primer volumen de la Trilogía de Nueva York de Paul Auster, y editado por Anagrama.

Con un trazo sencillo y un tanto tosco, recorre la historia desde el punto de vista de su protagonista. Aparte de seguir la trama de forma bastante fidedigna, usa recursos muy imaginativos desde el punto de vista visual para hacer hablar a sus personajes y para describir ideas abstractas y confusas que aparecen en la narración original. Es además una oportunidad idónea
Alasondro Alegré
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reread
★★★★½
antónio alves
a adaptação para bd do texto de p. auster é muito boa.
Iva
Jul 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Цей комікс має приголомшливу літературну основу яку, втім, не адаптує, а лише ілюструє. Зводити арт-комікс до простого ілюстрування є гріхом, так і запишіть.

Цікавості у нарації тут немає, глибини, як у оригіналі Остера - теж, бо нам одразу подають історію як сюрреалістичну, а не потроху зводять той сюр до його піку. Тим, хто читав "Нью-Йоркську трилогію", зайде ще й як. Тим, хто не читав, то краще спочатку таки оригінал, аби собі ж не спойлерити та провідчувати все якнайліпше, а потім вже цей ал
Joni
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Adaptación de la famosa primer parte de la trilogía de New York.
El escritor no se caracteriza por escribir cómics y el artista es un afamado dibujante de superhéroes.
Esta adaptación expande la complejidad del libro al punto que veo difícil entenderlo sin haber leído la novela.
Interesante experimento narrativo que juega con los planos y la metafísica de forma muy original.
Samidha; समिधा
I am aware that’s its an adaptation from the original 1972 novel of the same name. Holy hell, did I enjoy this. It was very intriguing to read. On top of that there is so much meta textuality, as Paul Auster (the author) is placed within the text as a secondary character, who also is a writer.

There were so many beautiful panels, my favourite being the finger print and the language ones. I really enjoyed this so much.
Koen Verbrugge
Vreemd & bevreemdend. Dat is het verhaal. Het verhaal van Paul Auster, maar ook deze ambitieuze graphic novel versie.

Dit boek is ambitieus, omdat niet rust op letterlijke illustraties van het verhaal. De tekenaar ondersteunt de tekst met visuele verhalen die op zichzelf kunnen staan.

Dat merk je. Zo blijken passages met zeer statische 'vertellers', plots scènes vol visuele choreografie te ontlokken, met - wss - dezelfde ondertoon.

Ik kreeg meermaals het gevoel twee parallelle kunstwerken tegelijk
L
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: university

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

A mystery about a mystery which experiments with irony, identity and reality for an altogether unique reading experience.

Paul Auster cleverly combines contemporary detective fiction with nouveau roman and American ‘postmodernism’ –for a supremely singular story of philosophical premise and impaction. As the main protagonist descends into madness, being able to see clarity amidst the congested cityscape is imperative if one is to find themselves ‘on their feet’ when reaching the end.

It
Penelope
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a pretty amazing graphic novel, and I definitely plan on reading the original City of Glass next. Concepts of identity, the role of the author in creating meaning, and the blurred line between fiction and reality are all present here, and explored in quite an intriguing way. I don't know how I felt about the ending, though. Maybe I just haven't thought about it enough, but it seemed too open-ended to me. In a way it makes sense, since this story is not a traditional narrative. ...more
Ill D
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Fucking stupid.

It's nothing short of a cute and novel expiriment that doesn't really go anywhere. My disapointment with this graphic novel was sorely exacerbated once I found out Spiegelman was the creative overseer and he did nothing to focus the narrative which is presented way too piecemeal and cut up for a normal reader to understand littleone enjoy.
Jackson
Claudia
Aug 03, 2007
Mike
Aug 06, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Auster fans/Graphic novel fans
The original was great and this graphically novelized version gives it a new life. I'd like to see the rest of the New York Trilogy given the same treatment.
Irène A
Nov 13, 2007
Speedtribes
Dec 04, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This is one of those stories where you can tell that it's very good, that it's high quality and what-not. But will never read it again because it's so depressing.

Beautiful and painful story. I wanted to shoot a few people in rage once I finished it. Ended up drowning myself by watching episodes of old 80s era JEM on youtube to get the feeling of tragedy out of my system.
Oliver
Dec 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a graphic novel version of City of Glass, which is one of the best books I've ever read. The illustrator did a really great job, however, I'd rather read Auster's prose than look at pictures of it any day. Some of the best sentences are missing. It's a quick read and definitely reminded me why I liked the book so much to begin with.
Sharon K.
Jan 13, 2008
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Auster's "City of Glass" was interesting enuf to begin w/ - but adding David Mazzucchelli's graphics in this series designed by the great Art Spiegleman was enuf to push it to the top for me.
Patrick
Jan 19, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2001
This is a graphic novelization, not the actual book.
Alika Aion
Kurt
May 21, 2008
Alli Gerkman
May 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first glimpse of Auster. It was good enough to make me read more, but it does not do his writing justice.
Izlinda

• What It Is
  • Jar of Fools
  • The Playboy
  • BodyWorld
  • Will You Still Love Me If I Wet the Bed?
  • Heartbreak Soup (Luba and Palomar, #1)
  • Unlikely
  • Ice Haven
  • Imagine: How Creativity Works
  • Hicksville
  • The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life
  • The Push Man and Other Stories
  • Curses
Paul Karasik is an American cartoonist, editor, and teacher, notable for his contributions to such works as City of Glass: The Graphic Novel, The Ride Together: A Memoir of Autism in the Family, and Turn Loose Our Death Rays and Kill Them All!. He is the coauthor, with Mark Newgarden, of How to Read Nancy, 2018 winner of the Eisner Award for "Best Comics-Related Book". He is also an occasional car ...more

Articles featuring this book