Start by marking “The Seventeen Second Miracle” as Want to Read:
The Seventeen Second Miracle

The Seventeen Second Miracle

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  1,973 Ratings  ·  437 Reviews
From the "New York Times" bestselling author of "The Wednesday Letters" and "The Cross Gardener," a story of small kindnesses-and life- changing miracles.
Seventeen seconds can change a life forever. This is what Rex Connor learned on a gorgeous summer afternoon in 1970 when he diverted his gaze for seventeen seconds and tragedy occurred. Forty years later the waves of th
Published September 1st 2010 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about The Seventeen Second Miracle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seventeen Second Miracle

Janette Fuller
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
A "miracle" is defined as an extraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers. The Seventeen Second Miracle, by Jason F. Wright, is a story about tragedy, forgiveness, hope, love, healing....and miracles. The theme of this book is that it only takes a few seconds to change another person's life....for the good or for the bad.

The title of the book refers to the 17 seconds it took for a young girl to drown. Seventeen year old Rex Conner was swimming with
Dawn
Dec 31, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I feel like a jerk saying that I didn't much like this book, but I have to be honest. I have read The Wednesday Letters and Christmas Jars by Wright and enjoyed them very much, so I was excited to get Seventeen Second Miracle. I was certain I was going to love it. I was shocked when I didn't - I had to force myself to finish it.

It's not that the story itself or the idea of the seventeen second miracle is bad - I think reminding people to notice others' needs and offer help and kindnesses in all
Lori Donovan
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It was very uplifting and left me feeling positive and hopeful. Each and every time I started to read a page I found myself not wanting to put it down.
Kathryn
Nov 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Nicole
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
Laine The Librarian
When bad things happen to people, you usually think that that will never happen to you. You are always on alert. You know the proper way to resolve ANY situation. You can act in a split second. You totally have this.

Until that very incident happens to you, or to your loved ones. And it only takes seventeen seconds. And when that happens, it changes your life forever.

Now seventeen seconds doesn't seem like a long time to change your life forever, but count it down: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10,
Kay Terrell
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Saw this book on the library shelf...it was worn and inviting...I read the first few pages before leaving the library...truth be told, I first was interested because it is set in Charlottesville, VA...close enough to me that I know many of the places described within...it captured me before I finished the prologue. I have to admit I had to keep reminding myself this is a work of fiction...it felt so real...I believed Rex and Sparks and Connor and jade and the kids were all really living this sto ...more
Elise Wilson
Nov 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
It is because of Jason Wright's bestseller, "Christmas Jars" that I will be giving away my first jar this Christmas season. And now after reading Wright's latest, "The Seventeen Second Miracle",(SSM) I purchased a journal to record daily SSMs -- ones that I make happen and the ones that happen to me. The SSM is a book that causes self-reflection that leads to action. It is about the capacity of humanity to make positive differences (small and large "miracles") in the lives of fellow human beings ...more
Jenifer
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story (just as I enjoyed his other two books). It was a very sweet, heartwarming story that really makes you think about how quickly life can change, just how easy it is to do service for others and how the world would be a much better place if everyone did what small miracles they could. This book has inspired me to be more aware of the "seventeen second miracles" in my own life. I especially love the idea of "love" being a verb.<3
Rachel
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
I don't know if the writing of this book is brilliant but I think the message of it is brilliant. It takes only 17 seconds to change a persons life either for good or for bad. Something can happen in a split 17 seconds and it will alter your life. What you do with it is up to you. Take 17 seconds a day to make someone elses day better....... hold the door, smile at them, compliment them......... and in doing so, will make your own day better.
Paige Duck
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An exceptional story clearly showing what it means to "Love one another". I was in tears at the end (happy tears). What a wonderful world this would be if we all had our daily Seventeen Second Miracle.
Erica T
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I think everyone should read this book. It's a happy ending type of book, but the message it teaches and the way it makes you want to improve yourself is something everyone could benefit from. The background stories were well developed to all come together to tell the current story. Loved it!
Michelle
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being a devoted Jason Wright fan, I was so excited to read this book! Through all his books, "Christmas Jars" has remained my favorite...until now. This one jumped to the top in one reading! Life changing!!
Susan Peterson
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Stories of redemption and second chances always touch my soul. I encourage everyone to read this book.
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
A young man vows to carry on his father's legacy by teaching three troubled teenagers the power they have to change the world, seventeen seconds at a time.
This story was tender and inspiring, with a few tear jerker moments. Unfortunately, I felt it also moved at a very slow pace and was almost too sappy for me. I like books with a good message, and this had one, but it was a very simple message for how long the book was. I would have enjoyed learning the lesson more if it had been taught through
Jillian Bradley
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book in the end. It really taught me something about life.
I had to push through a few chapters but once I got into it I couldn't put it down.
If you want a feel good book after dramatic things happen in life definitely give this book a read!!!
Kristi Anderson
Nov 23, 2017 rated it liked it
*A feel good story. A look at how 17 seconds can change your life and what you can do to make those seventeen seconds count for someone else. The book was a little jumpy - but I think it worked pretty well. And it is a good reminder to look for ways to help others every day.
Jodee Clark
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this was a beautiful and emotional book. Love is a verb!
Hillary
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Sweet story with a bit of a twist. I enjoyed it, but just wasn't totally blown away by it.
Shelley
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved how this book teaches we should Be the Good and that you can make an impact on someone's life, for good or bad, in a very short period of time.
Ted Rene
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
love this book
Swhe641200
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Edith brown book. A lot of good examples of what u can do to help others
Shelley
Jan 24, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So now I've read two of Jason F. Wright's books on the recommendation of my sister-in-law, and I hope to never pick up another one again! Before this, I read The Wednesday Letters. I rated it a 0, but had to go with a 1. The Seventeen Second Miracle didn't irritate me as much, so I'm being generous and giving it a 1.

Wright's writing is really sappy. He should be writing for the Hallmark Channel. First part of the story was really slow and boring. It finally picked up, and then I got to the anti
Erika
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Seventeen Second Miracle by John F. Wright, was a book that contained much emotions and was easy to understand what was going on in the context. During the introduction, we are introduced a few characters that will later evolve due to the fact that the new generation will speak about their experiences growing up. The names of the characters are Rex, "Flick," "Sparks," and "Sparks" family. I can create a scene in my mind by the detail the author put by what he was referring to, for example th ...more
Stephanie
Dec 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Seventeen Second Miracle:

For the most part, I really enjoyed this book. It is an inspirational tale pointing out how one can make a big difference in another's life - in mere seconds. Rex Conner experiences tragedy when a little girl drowns in the 17 seconds he is distracted. But, instead of letting it ruin his life, he starts a journal noticing all of the good things that happen to him every day (what he doesn't mention are the good things he does for others). His son carries on his legacy
Dave
Oct 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
Agree whole-heartedly with the message: we could all use a discourse in the art of helping others for the sake of spreading a little love throughout the world on a daily basis. I get it, the very nature of altruism. These selfless acts are, in fact, "miracles", but only because we live in a world that rears its ugly head more often than it shows its sunny side. Otherwise, these deliberate, and not random, acts of kindness would be the norm, ergo, not miracles. But the book, as it stands, reads l ...more
TheReadingKnitter/ Kasey
From the New York Times bestselling author of The Wednesday Letters and The Cross Gardener, a story of small kindnesses-and life-changing miracles.

Seventeen seconds can change a life forever. This is what Rex Connor learned on a gorgeous summer afternoon in 1970 when, as a lifeguard, he diverted his gaze for seventeen seconds and tragedy occurred. Forty years later the waves of that day still ripple through the lives of countless people, including his son, Cole.

Cole Connor has become a patient t
Jacquline
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ShelbyLibrary
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it

Nancy
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
The Seventeen Second Miracle is a fine example of the kind of feel-good book that I love to immerse myself in once in a while. Poignant and heart-warming, this novel evokes a desire to do better, to love more and to be aware that all of us can perform seventeen second miracles every day of our lives. As a teenage boy, Rex Connor, has a young girl drown while on his "watch" as a lifeguard, a girl who is the sister of his girlfriend, both of which he adores. If being distracted by someone with who ...more
Book Tasting Book...: Discussion Question 7 1 1 Feb 22, 2016 11:09AM
Book Tasting Book...: Discussion Question 1 1 1 Feb 22, 2016 11:02AM
  • Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy
  • The Unfinished Gift
  • The Christmas Box Miracle: My Spiritual Journey of Destiny, Healing and Hope
  • Play or Be Played: What Every Female Should Know About Men, Dating, and Relationships
  • Woman Habits
  • The Judge Who Stole Christmas
  • A Simple Christmas: Twelve Stories That Celebrate the True Holiday Spirit
  • The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3)
  • Letters in the Jade Dragon Box: A Historical Novel
  • Raise Your Hand If You Have Issues: If You Didn't Raise You Hand You're Lying and That's an Issue
  • A Song for Mary: An Irish-American Memory
  • Coffee Shop Conversations: Making the Most of Spiritual Small Talk
  • The Prayer Chest: A Novel About Receiving All of Life's Riches
  • Home Tonight: Further Reflections on the Parable of the Prodigal Son
  • One Simple Act: Discovering the Power of Generosity
  • The Paper Bag Christmas
  • Alchemy
  • Gang of One: Memoirs of a Red Guard
Jason Wright is a New York Times, Wall Street Journal and USA Today bestselling author.

Jason is a weekly columnist for the Deseret News and Northern Virginia Daily and articles by Jason have appeared in over 50 newspapers and magazines across the United States including The Washington Times, The Chicago Tribune, and Forbes. He is the author of The James Miracle (2004); Christmas Jars (2005); The W
More about Jason F. Wright...