Start by marking “The Sailor Dog” as Want to Read:

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  1,457 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Scuppers the Dog wants to be a sailor. He was born at sea and he wants nothing more than to return to water. Finally, after a long time, Scuppers gets the chance to go out into the deep blue ocean--but his ship gets wrecked! Oh no! But Scuppers won't let that bother him. He fixes his boat and gets right back to it!
Published February 2nd 2001 by Golden Books (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about The Sailor Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sailor Dog

Greg
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Sailor Dog
This book has it all - travel, adventure, life choices, being decisive, being resourceful, transport options, shipwreck, buried treasure, fashion statements, sartorial splendour, boats, the high seas, ship repairing, building a beach house. And Scuppers The Sailor Dog has his own song to sing at the end.
All this packed into 24 pages. This is the skill of writing for young kids - not as easy as it looks.
Through the story there it has, woven rhythmic word reinforcement that repeats w
Maya
Jan 31, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Granted I'm not a child and I read this for the first time 5 minutes ago, but I've never read a children's book so boring and tedious as this one. I hope the homeless child my mother bought this for will enjoy it more than I.
Allie
I got this book as a present for Sam a while ago because apparently it was really formative for him as a kid! Specifically this page:

Ever since he read that, he has been obsessed with hooks and having a place for everything and everything in its place. Once we read the actual book, we found that it's actually pretty strange and has some major plot holes. These golden books weren't really meant to be great literature.
Sean Owen
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"The Sailor Dog" is a less well known work by the author of "Goodnight Moon". Scupper, the title character is born on a boat. He spends the early part of the book deciding he doesn't want to ride in a plane or train or car. He's from the sea and that's where he belongs. He returns to the sea, but is shipwrecked. Through his resourcefulness he endures isolation on an abandoned island where he repairs his boat. Once his boat is repaired he travels to many strange and different lands. Through his r ...more
Dolly
Apr 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an odd story, but we were enticed by the picture of the puppy on the cover and the fact that it was written by Margaret Wise Brown. It's interesting, but rambles.

Scupper's song at the end of the book is humorous and reminds me of the theme song from the Popeye cartoon.

The illustrations are fun, with interesting details. We enjoyed reading this book together, even if it can't compare to Goodnight Moon in our esteem.

August 2017 update: discovered this book in a bookswap bin and just had t
Marya
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I'm sorry, but this is too far away from my knowledge/comfort level. Why does the sailor have to be a dog? Why does he dress in British colonial gear? Exactly whose boat is he sailing on (or did he steal it?)? Too many questions!
Suzanne
Jun 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My husband's very favorite book. We named our dog after the main character!
Hannah Garden
May 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My brother and I loved this just to bits when we were kids, and I got to read it to my cousin's little girl while in Florida! A very sweet thing, that.
Erica Hatch
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
The Sailor Dog by Margaret Wise Brown, illustrated by Garth Williams, is an adorable story about Scuppers the Dog and his adventure across the sea!

Oh my goodness, this book is adorable! The storyline is short and sweet, but also very exciting! Scuppers goes on quite the adventure. The illustrations are also very lovely!

A very enjoyable read as an adult... but I cannot wait to read this one to my future kiddos to see their reactions!
Ashleigh Cutler
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
While it's like nostalgia, this story is a part of me. Admittedly I was introduced to it a part of Golden Books videos, and the illustrations also came from other books of hers, but even so, Scuppers will always hold a place in my heart. His never give up personality is extremely encouraging.
Judy
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a title by M W Brown that I hadn't read, and Garth Williams was the illustrator. Two good reasons to read the book. Even though I gave them both three stars, I liked this story better than Poky Little Puppy.
P.S. Winn
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Scuppers the sailor dog is such a fun, happy book, great to read aloud to the kids.
Rowen
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this was long and i couldn't sit still!
Ali
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
adorable little kids book!!!! great pictures and cute little story
Beth E
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic
This is one of the greatest children's books. I have always loved it.

I did not realize, until I was looking for a copy to gift my younger cousins, that it was written by Margaret Wise Brown of Goodnight Moon, or that it was illustrated by the wonderful Garth Williams who illustrated Little House on the Prairie.

Due to my hearing loss, I did not realize the dog was named "Scuppers," though- all these years I thought he was called "Scupper!"

What I did remember was the song: "Scuppers the Sailor
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
As an adult, I've come to realize that a lot of the classic books I loved as children aren't so amazing now that I'm grown up. A prime example are the Serendipity books which have really oddly traditional morals considering they were written in the Seattle area. But Margaret Wise Brown takes the prize for me as many of her books don't even make much sense.

This book is no exception. It's so random and odd. Like he gets on board a boat with people and then he's shipwrecked and there's no mention
Karen
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
How can a Little Golden Book that was written by Margaret Wise Brown and illustrated by Garth Williams be anything less than perfect?

Margaret Wise Brown wrote poetry -- not the forced rhythm, attempted rhyming couplets (or quatrains) that so often results in doggerel poetry -- not necessarily with a rhyme at all, but it was poetry none-the-less. Her writing, for the most part, should be read out loud and savored.

I grew up with Garth Williams' illustrations. From the time I was about six, we ha
Rudy
Feb 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book! In 1953, my mom read it to me daily. The illustrations are embedding deep in my memory after a thousand sittings.

Garth Williams, the illustrator, was on his way to a fulfilling career. He illustrated the Little House series, Stuart Little, Cricket in Time Square, Charlotte's Web, and many other children's books.

He write and illustrated The Rabbit's Wedding in 1958. It proved controversial with the topic of a wedding between two rabbits, one white and the other black.

Will
carissa
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
My husband and I agree this is one of the worst children's books we've read. The prose is weird… stilted and rambling… there are plot holes, the narrative is almost incoherent… and the song is kind of terrible. This isn't a case of expecting too much from a children's book--we have dozens and have read hundreds and trust me, there are way better books.

Having said that, of course some children still love it. It's about a dog, and sailing, and the illustrations are colorful and pretty decent. But
Carmen
Jul 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
I first read this book as a child at my grandmother's house. It was one of my mother's favorite books from her childhood and she made sure to pass it along to us. In turn, my children now count it among their favorites.

The book follows Scuppers, The Sailor Dog, as he follows his desire to become a true Dog of the Sea. For me, the illustrations are what make this book so wonderful. There's just something about seeing little furry Scuppers trying on clothes in a shop in India that endears him to y
Bruce M
The illustrations in this book are fantastic. I didn't care much for the story itself. Charlotte seemed to like it well enough, though, and that's what's important.

I just read this book to her for the first time. The whole time it seemed familiar. I kept thinking of this whining annoying voice saying, "But I'm a sailor dog."

This is why. My younger brother constantly watched a VHS tape that had a video adaptation of this story for a while. That voice still cuts right through me.
Harini Srinivasan
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is indeed a Little Golden Book! I bought this book for my daughters twenty-odd years ago, and am still in love with it! One of the cutest, funniest books ever to take itself seriously. Story and illustrations come together perfectly. A bonus: you can sing Scuppers' song to the tune of 'Popeye the Sailor Man'! Love the last bit -- 'I can sail in a gale right over a whale, Under full sail in a fog!' Toot, toot!
Tristan Doane
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: elementary-books
I personally grew up reading this book and I always loved listening to the stories of the sailor dog. His story allowed my imagination to flourish and I think the same can be said for the children who read this book. They will read it and say, "wow I want to be an adventurer too." I would recommend this to teachers who are reading to their students.
Brie Tennyson
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
"The Sailor Dog" is a book out of the Little Golden Books collection that I collected when I was younger. This book is about Scuppers the dog who wants to be a sailor. It is a great book for younger children (3-5 years) who want to look at an interesting book about a dog at sea. This book has good illustrations that have a lot of color, which adds to the book as a whole.
Patricia
Nov 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Serge Smagarinsky
Plot had some good elements, accompanied by some illustrations that really capture the moment well. The style of the text is a bit long winded and painful to get through, although I can imagine a young child narrating like that.
T Crockett
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I'm surprised this isn't more readily available. It has Wise Brown's famous poetic sound, full of parallel structure. It has adorable illustrations, many of which I'd like to hop right into. And it has a scrappy, adventurous hero with one of the best dog names I've heard "Scuppers".
Bill Cather
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
When our youngest was about 6 years old, this was his favorite book for me to read to him. He especially enjoyed me singing the song at the end of the book: "I'm Scuppers the sailor dog, ...." Such sweet memories!
Benjamin Long
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cute little story like all of the Golden Books are.
Alexandria
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My favorite parts were when Scuppers found a treasure for him and when he built himself a house.
  • I Can Fly
  • Santa's Toy Shop
  • Deep in the Forest
  • The Shy Little Kitten
  • Burt Dow, Deep-Water Man
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p
More about Margaret Wise Brown...