Start by marking “The Wolf: The Ecology and Behavior of an Endangered Species” as Want to Read:
The Wolf: The Ecology and Behavior of an Endangered Species

The Wolf: The Ecology and Behavior of an Endangered Species

'A fine, comprehensive survey of the ecology and habits of the wolf - his food, habitat, hunting, mating, social behavior and much more. Written in non-technical language, the book sets down just about everything that we know about this beautiful and - propaganda aside - shy animal, who, authorities agree, has never in this country attacked a man.' - The New York Times ...more
Published April 30th 1981 by Univ Of Minnesota Press (first published 1970)

Start your review of The Wolf: The Ecology and Behavior of an Endangered Species
Anna
“Wolf: The Ecology and Behavior of an Endangered Species” is a classic wolf biology book from 1971, which systematically goes through key aspects of wild wolves and their environments: such as their ecological niche, pack structure and population dynamics, physical and mental characteristics, hunting, seasonal movement patterns, key species of prey, and their relations with prey and other stake holders… including humans (and much more).

Some unusual circumstances surround this book: The author
Ashleigh Cutler
Jan 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: wolf researchers
Shelves: research
Mech is one of the top names for wolf research and for a good reason. This book is readable - meaning it's not full-on textbook style to the point you need a law degree to grasp it - but it's not open and breezy either. It's great for my research as I write about wolves far too much and know more than I should. The pictures are OK but small. It's another "staying" book in my library.
Johnny
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Goes kinda slow, and the copy I read felt sort of outdated, but all in all very informative and interesting.
Dewayne Stark
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Written in 1970 so it is some what not of too new tracking and data information.
Nancy Lewis
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wolves
I wish there were an updated version of this book. The past 20 years with wolves in Yellowstone have added a vast amount of information to what we know. Many of Mech's speculations in this version could be verified or denied.

Thanks to Goodreads reviewer "A" for her review with a link to a video in which David Mech discusses the outdated information.

If the wolf is to survive, the wolf haters must be outnumbered. They must be outshouted, outfinanced, and outvoted. Their narrow and biased attitude
wally
Oct 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mech
i think it was this one that describes how the wolf takes down a moose, not an easy task. one of them grabs it by the nose and hangs on while the others wait for it to weaken. wolves are opportunists and as they are tracking, following a moose, if another happens to cross their path, they are as likely to notice and chase that one.

was in a tree stand one october when i saw what i thought were three...coyotes, moving in a line-abreast, the two one the ends about 15 yards or more away from the one
Peyton Autumn
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good? A little outdated but a very good resource. From the 70s. A more updated and detailed version, would be by the same author of the title Wolf: The Ecology and Behavior of an Endangered Species. Just a personal opinion, if you have access to one another they are almost the same the other title is much more reason to the current decade and modern research.
Kristal
Nov 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav-oh-rites
This use to be my bible. David L. Mech. The ultimate wolf ecologist of our time. For years he was my idol and definitely a pioneer in the field. Unforuntely, my ecology career never took off. Still, wolves are my favourite animal of all time. So yeah.
Lori Schiele
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: wolf lovers
L. David Mech is one of the top wolf biologists in the world. His knowledge and insight into this fascinating and beautiful animal is without limits. He has written a good number of books and I have read all of them. This, however, was his first book and is still my favorite.
Sharon Stewart
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Essential reading on the subject. I used all Mech's books during my research for Raven Quest and Wolf Rider.
Thomas
Dec 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
The best single volume on Wolf behavior and physiology.
Megan

• Of Wolves and Men
  • Never Cry Wolf: The Amazing True Story of Life Among Arctic Wolves
  • Complete Digital Photography
  • Douglas MacArthur: American Warrior
  • Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher: The Epic Life and Immortal Photographs of Edward Curtis
  • Understanding Coyotes: The Coprehensive Guide for Hunters, Photographers and Wildlife Observers
  • The CBD Oil Solution: Treat Chronic Pain, Anxiety, Insomnia, and More-without the High
  • Sacred Places North America: 108 Destinations 2nd ed.
  • City of Night
  • Pink Smog (Weetzie Bat, #0)
  • Edward S. Curtis
  • Arizona Highways Wildlife Guide: 125 of Arizona's Native Species
  • Ansel Adams: An Autobiography
  • Ansel Adams: A Biography
  • Instant: The Story of Polaroid
  • A Field Guide to Amphibians and Reptiles in Arizona
  • Knitting the Fog
  • The Drowning Girl
Lucyan David "Dave" Mech is an internationally recognized wolf expert, a senior research scientist for the U.S. Department of the Interior's U.S. Geological Survey (since 1970), and an adjunct professor at the University of Minnesota in St. Paul. He has researched wolves since 1958 in places such as Minnesota, Canada, Italy, Alaska, Yellowstone National Park, and on Isle Royale.

Mech is the founder