Start by marking “Shatter The Bones (Logan McRae, #7)” as Want to Read:
Shatter The Bones (Logan McRae, #7)

Shatter The Bones

(Logan McRae #7)

A bestseller from the award-winning Stuart MacBride. The seventh DS Logan McRae thriller is a gripping page-turner in which fame and fortune crash head-on with crime and punishment.

No suspects. No clues. No rest for the wicked.

'You will raise money for the safe return of Alison and Jenny McGregor. If you raise enough money within fourteen days they will be released. If not
Published January 6th 2011 by HarperCollins UK (first published 2011)

Start your review of Shatter The Bones (Logan McRae, #7)
Phrynne
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-books
Another entertaining outing with Logan McRae and the Aberdeen police force.

I really enjoy the way Stuart MacBride writes. These books are all action packed, full of blood and gore and yet frequently really funny. Logan and Steel always get the best lines. Steel is the most amazing character!

A lot is going on with Logan in this book. He thinks he is going to get fired and is promoted instead. He seems to be settling down with Samantha but events get in the way. And then he feels that he has had
Simone Sinna
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was the only book of the Logan McRae I hadn’t read and is now the only one I have in a paper copy (the rest being on the iPad) but after doing a Masterclass with the author I felt I needed a signed copy. The Master class was on research for crime fiction, a topic he had been given and was unimpressed by: he answered it with typical Scottish dour tongue in cheek in one sentence: talk to a cop. But then (after a cop in the audience looked a little taken aback) he proceeded to fill three hours ...more
Karen
Jan 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Here's the thing. You hoard a book because it's a favourite series, and there's no sign of the next one yet. But then there are noises about the next one, but that's not out for ages, but you can't wait any longer so you read the one you've had tucked away. Then you've not got that little thing of joy hidden away in the bookcases anymore. So now you're stuck in that horrible no man's land, because the next book's not out for ages, and you've given into temptation. It's a nightmare.

Mind you, that
Steve
Not really sure I liked this one, but the end was fast and furious with retribution doled out to the bad guys.

The first half of the book was very slow, and the Aberdeen police looked more like the Keystone Kops, running around trying to find clues to the missing singing sensation and her daughter. It got worse when a higher-up gets involved. About halfway through, though, things got better and started falling into place, and lots of bad guys get their comeuppance, all through the work of DS Loga
RG
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I remember enjoying this more than the previous novel but also thinking to myself 2 things. One Logan really should be expired as the ideas are getting too similar and predictable. And two, I dont understand but I feel comfortable when reading these. I found the conclusion of this to be so so. The dialogue becomes the attraction but even that is becoming a little repetitive.
Andrew
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I keep forgetting how much I enjoy the Logan McRae crime series so each time I pick one up I wonder why I have left it a year since the last outing into the world of Aberdonian cops and villains. Here an instant celebrity mother and daughter (think Britain's got talent) are kidnapped and Macrae faces a race to catch them before the promise to kill the child is completed. Facing villains who seem to be always one step ahead of him , and personal risk he combines with a great supporting cast , inc ...more
Siobhan
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whilst I enjoyed book six, Dark Blood, I wasn’t overly crazy about it. I’m not quite sure what my issue was, but I didn’t quite enjoy it as much as I’d enjoyed the prior books. Fortunately, Shatter The Bones is back to the wonderful standard of the other Logan McRae novels. Not that the standard had dropped by much in Dark Blood, but I certainly enjoyed Shatter The Bones a lot more.

Things start off with a real bang, pulling us into the action instantly. In fact, we’re pulled into the action befo
Helen
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-thriller
So much fun to read, the pages just fly by! Do wish McBride would give poor Logan a bit of a break though! Still, great story, good twist at the end with plenty of funny interludes, especially from Steel, who I've grown to like more and more over the series. Looking forward to the next installment already.
MadProfessah
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read
I love how MacBride is constantly raising the stakes for his main character DS Logan McRae.

The case this time is truly insane: a mother-daughter duo who are leading a televised American Idol-style reality show are kidnaped and the public is being extorted for the ransom. To goose the pot the kidnapers are releasing videos and bits and pieces (I.e toes) of their hostages every few days.

Meanwhile Logan is making VERY bad decisions as he works on other cases that eventually ends up producing life-c
Kelly
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
I had a really rough time getting into this book. Really rough. As in, if I hadn't been reading this as one half of a joint review, I probably would have stopped at the 15% mark. But I soldiered on. Or something. My issues were twofold. Or maybe three. Let's see...

Part 1: I had a really hard time believing that a police force could be THAT incompetent. I mean... HOLY SMOKES! Between the genuinely stupid mistakes some of the police dudes made (err... I can't remember where all the DIs and DSs get
Paul
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So although I wasn't over enamored with the last Logan Macrae book I immediately jumped into this, book 7, and I am so glad I did. It's impossible to not judge books in a series against each other and this was so much better. This is Macbride back on top form and back at his dark and rather disturbing best.

For once the thing that really stood out to me was the case. The way the book begins made for a very fast and frantic pace that really emphasised the importance and the book benefited from it
David Highton
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another in the Logan McRae series, including a temporary promotion to DI - with a drugs raid the secondary story behind a kidnapping of a reality TV star and her daughter. The Aberdonian banter is as vivid as ever and although the narrative sags a little bit around the halfway mark, this is another strong police procedural
Alona
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.
The best in the series for me, so far.
Kazimiera pendrey
This was such a great read the character of Logan McRae is simply wonderful and Stuart MacBride has to be one of my favourite authors
Deanne
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crimethriller
The Logan McRae books are a series which someone should make into a TV series, there must be talks ongoing already, if not it's criminal.
Geraldine
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, series, 2017
Seventh in the series. I thoroughly enjoyed it, with all the misgivings and delights offered by the previous 6.

As ever with series, I would strongly recommend reading them in order. By the time you get to Number 7, you shouldn't need a review from me to make up your mind whether or not to go for it!

This acts as a commentary on the false 'instant' fame afforded by TV 'talent' shows, where the 'talent' is less important than the sobby back story.
Jo Ann
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
*3.5* Think I need to take a break from the series as I felt myself slogging through this installment. The gallows humor continues to entertain me (especially Steele) but the blatant ineptness of the police force is becoming tiresome.
Angela Oatham
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stuart MacBride never disappoints. The dialogue is fast, furious and hilarious, the crime is horrendous and Steele is perfect as always.
Jan
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Poor Logan. He gets beat up on such a regular basis, I'm surprised he can still move. He does give as good as he gets most of the time, but still. On the next after a cuppa and a Tunnock's tea cake.
Jill Andrews
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Engaging subplots and dry NE humour make a dark plot buoyant
Mary
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could not wait for this to come out and although it is available in hardback, I prefer to wait for the paperback. So, I was delighted to see it sitting on the shelf of my local library this week. I love Stuart McBride books, and in particular, the Logan McRae series. Once again, he has produced the goods. Logan is involved in a kidnapping case, a mother and daughter, who are rising stars in a talent show, similar to Britain's Got Talent, and are on course to win the show, when they are kidnapp ...more
Neil
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 7 of the Logan McRae series and the author is back to his best. How do you solve a crime when there doesn't seem to be any evidence? The main plot line revolve around Aberdeen's mother and daughter singing sensations Alison and Jenny McGregor. They have made it through to the final stages of the reality TV show Britiain's Next Big Star, but before the finals they get kidnapped. Video demands come in stating that unless a substantial sum is raised they will both be killed, to prove that they ...more
Morris
Feb 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
One of the better entries in the Logan Macrae series so far. Very enjoyable, but I have to wonder how much more torment the author can put his hero through. Soon people will avoid being his friend like they avoid getting too close to Angela Landsbury. Anyway, thoroughly entertaining, riveting and full of suspense.

I started reading this series due to the setting, Aberdeen, as I was curious to see the streets I walk each day through the eyes of a crime writer. I was not disappointed.

While much of
Godzilla
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, 2012
Another offering from my Mother in Law, and whilst the characters, in particular DI Steel, sparkle and have some dimension to them, the story here was a little flat.

A potentially nice satire on the prevalence of reality tv and frankly piss poor "talent" shows, limps into a manhunt tale, which tries to twist and turn, but ultimately plods unrelentlingly onwards.

I've enjoyed previous DC Logan McRae stories, but this was fairly insipid. The trademark humour is there, but without a real plot this do
Monica
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is another one of those series that I savour and only allow myself to read a book now and then as a treat so that I don't suddenly find myself at the end, craving another book.

MacBride writes edgy, cutting books. The dialogue is witty and smooth...priceless humour often to be found amidst a lot of violence and brutality. Every installment in this series seems to get better and better.

In this book, DS Logan McRae and the rest of the team fight against time to keep Alison and her daughter Jen
Dan
Jan 09, 2011 rated it liked it
This got such rave reviews that I was looking forward to reading it, but it just never really got going for me. The plot was great, and the scenes were as gritty as the blurb described, but I never got any sense of tension or urgency.
Can there be too much 'talking' in a novel? There were so many conversations between the characters, that I thought description and atmosphere was lacking. I did finish this book, and I would say that I enjoyed it, but I'm not tempted to read another of this author
Mary Ann Olsztyn
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the 7th Logan McRae book I've read. I'm reading the whole series in a row. I thought this one was very confusing. The plot, really murky at times. There were sooo many characters and suspects that in the end I felt like I was confused on who did what to whom. I also miss, the regular characters of Logan's former lover, the coroner & her newspaper significant other. Hopefully, the next one in the series will be better. It was nice that Logan finally made Inspector though. He really deserv ...more
Shona
Jan 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Yet another Logan adventure where nothing seems to go right.
Violence, laughter, murder, love all mixed into one story.

Alison and her daughter are deemed to be the next big reality series winners, only they go missing, kidnapped for a ransom.

Will they be found before they are murdered? Will the Police find the kidnappers before it is too late? or will they make ma mess of the investigation yet again?

Charmaine Van der berg
Jan 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: thrillers
Awful!!Really, really boring. It took me almost 3 weeks to finish. This book just draaaaags along. If I weren't the type of person to always finish what I start, I would have put this book down after the second chapter. I didn't enjoy the Scottish dialect, and the main character is exceptionally bland. I know this book is part of a series, but I'm definitely not going to bother reading the rest of them.
Gayatri Sriram
Feb 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shatter the bones is not as briskly paced as McBride's earlier works, neither are the sub plots as thrilling. But the writing is A grade as usual. He creates suspense, horror and intrigue almost effortlessly.

My only gripe is that the plot was not meaty enough. The story lags in between before it picks up again.

This book is emotionally heavier; failure, guilt, rage are all very extensively and very successfully explored. The end is satisfying, even if slightly predictable.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Book of Souls (Inspector McLean, #2)
  • Natural Causes (Inspector McLean, #1)
  • The Body on the Island (DCI Craig Gillard, #6)
  • A Song for the Dark Times (Inspector Rebus #23)
  • The Big Man Upstairs (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #7)
  • The Hangman's Song (Inspector McLean, #3)
  • The Damage Done (Inspector McLean, #6)
  • The Rat Stone Serenade (DCI Daley, #4)
  • A Death Most Monumental (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #8)
  • Prayer for the Dead (Inspector McLean, #5)
  • The Papers of Tony Veitch (Jack Laidlaw, #2)
  • Blood and Treachery (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #4)
  • Point of no Return: A Scottish Crime Thriller (A DCI Harry McNeil Crime Thriller Book 7)
  • Dark Suits and Sad Songs (DCI Daley, #3)
  • The Killing Code (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #3)
  • Consolation (Paul Hirschhausen, #3)
  • Well of the Winds (DCI Daley, #5)
  • The Harder They Fall (Softley Softley #1)
Aka Stuart B. MacBride

The life and times of a bearded write-ist.

Stuart MacBride (that's me) was born in Dumbarton -- which is Glasgow as far as I'm concerned -- moving up to Aberdeen at the tender age of two, when fashions were questionable. Nothing much happened for years and years and years: learned to play the recorder, then forgot how when they changed from little coloured dots to proper musi

Logan McRae (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
  • Dying Light (Logan McRae, #2)
  • Broken Skin (Logan McRae, #3)
  • Flesh House (Logan McRae, #4)
  • Blind Eye (Logan McRae, #5)
  • Dark Blood (Logan McRae, #6)
  • Close to the Bone (Logan McRae, #8)
  • The Missing and the Dead (Logan McRae, #9)
  • In the Cold Dark Ground (Logan McRae, #10)
  • Now We Are Dead (Logan McRae, #10.5)

News & Interviews

“Guthrie handed him the mug, a wee pout pulling his pale face out of shape. With his semi-skimmed skin, faint ginger hair, and blond eyebrows he looked like a ghost that had been at the pies. "Milk, two sugars.” 11 likes
“Logan glanced at the clock on the cooker: nearly five minutes fast. The room was bathed in the pale orange glow of the overcast sky, the back garden a jungle of silhouettes and shadows through the window. He filled the kettle, then poured half of it out, before sticking it on to boil. The growing rumble drowned out the babble on his Airwave handset as DI Bell got his firearms team into place.” 3 likes