Start by marking “Chester the Worldly Pig” as Want to Read:
Chester the Worldly Pig

Chester the Worldly Pig

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  851 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Chester longs to be a performer in the circus, but the road to stardom is rocky until someone discovers Chester's true "worldliness."
Published October 11th 1978 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published October 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Chester the Worldly Pig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chester the Worldly Pig

Shadowdenizen
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm so glad that the works of Bill Peet are (for the most part) still available and in-print to this day; he certainly deserves to be recognized amongst the greats of childrens literature! (I’d certainly rank him up there with Maurice Sendak, Doctor Seuss, Shel Silverstein, Etc.)

And I'm aslo glad that Bill Peet was such a prolific author, as re-discovering these classic works has been one of the most joyous parts of the last year for me! Each time I open one of these, I’m transported back to my
Amanda
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, kids-book
Cute story. It was quite a long book, for a kid's book, but enjoyed the message and the cute surprise ending!
Ronyell
Feb 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
“Chester the Worldly Pig” is another children’s book written by Bill Peet and is about how a simple farm pig named Chester wants to become a star in the circus, but realizes that through some tough situations, that he possessed something special the whole time. “Chester the Worldly Pig” may be a bit too long and threatening for some smaller children, but older children will easily be interested in this story.

Bill Peet’s illustrations and writing combined make this book dramatic and charming to
jacky
Apr 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I have been remembering the ending of this book for years, but never knew what it was. At first, I thought it was the ending to Charlotte's Web, thinking that it Charlotte kept Wilbur alive until he could show this map. But when I reread that book as an adult, I realized that wasn't the case (and liked the book better for it). That left me wondering where I had gotten this idea of a pig with a world map on it. Then just the other day I came across the book at Marden's (a Maine salvage and surplu ...more
Elizabeth S
Sep 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: f-picture
What a fun, fun book. I enjoy reading and rereading this one with my kids. Moral of the story: Sometimes you work really hard towards a goal, don't reach it, and then suddenly you get there in a completely different way than you thought you would. And when it is told by Bill Peet, you get a lot of humor along the way.
Kara
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Bill Peet says in his autobiography that this book, more so than any other, is about himself. He wants to make the point that you have to be yourself and not remake yourself to try and please someone else. :-)

Wooden Horse
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A very long read and totally worth it. I was shocked by the ending. The whole time I thought Chester was worldly because of his travels. Boy was I wrong!
Samantha Tolleson
Jun 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Children 4th grade and up
Recommended to Samantha by: my son
I really enjoyed the art in this book. I was very much reminded of Charlot's Web and Dumbo.
Loyal
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
A cute Bill Peet story about a pig who sets out to find a broader purpose in life. Chester doesn't want to just become another pig to be eaten. He wants to make something of his life. He decides the best way to accomplish this is to join the circus. He even comes up with a trick, by standing on his nose! And thus Chester's journey begins. But there are many twists and turns along the way, and eventually it seems his dream, first of being in the circus, and then of making something of his life, g ...more
Rachel
I had seen this book at the library book sale, but had not picked it up because I had never read the book, but decided to try to read it at the library when I got the chance. I’m glad I did. It was a cute story.

Chester decides as a piglet that if he wants to avoid the common ending of a pig (being made into food), then he needs to do something extraordinary. He eventually manages, after much trial and tribulation to balance on his nose on the top of a fence post. He waits for the circus train t
Jorie Turner
Dec 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: grades k-3
Shelves: fiction
Summary: Chester the pig wants to do more with his life than just grow big and be turned into supper, so the little pig decides to practice balancing on the tip of his nose so when the circus train comes by they will notice him and take him away with them to be in the show. The train goes by but all the windows were closed to no one could see him. Chester sneaks out of his pin and chases down the tracks after the train. Once he finally catches up the circus clowns dress him as a baby and use him ...more
Joe
Apr 04, 2013 rated it liked it
It isn’t as fun as his better stories, but even when he’s slightly off his game, Bill Peet is a wonder. Chester the pig wants to escape the life to which he is fated, eating slops from a trough until he is fat enough to be slaughtered. He’s a plucky pig. He has the initiative and ambition and talent to teach himself to perform tricks. He runs away from the farm to seek his fortune in a circus, but his plans fail in a string of disappointments and near-disasters. He’s chased by a truly scary-look ...more
Liz
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Week 3:
Chester is no ordinary pig. Not satisfied with his life's purpose to become sausage and ham, Chester sets out to find a circus. Once there, Chester realizes the circus is not all it's cracked up to be. Again, he runs away only to run into more and more trouble. Hungry and tired, Chester gives himself up to a farmer who greets him with open arms. After several years of contently living like a normal pig, Chester is bought by a man who is able to see what truly makes Chester a "worldly pig.
Dolly
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older children and parents reading with them
Shelves: childrens, 2011
We borrowed this book from our local library as part of a kit with a paperback book with ISBN0395272718/ISBN13 9780395272718. The narrative is read by Jane Staab. I thought it was a good story, but both of our girls tired of the tale about halfway through and they never finished listening to it. I read it on my own and I thought it was a rather entertaining story. It is a bit long, but not too long, especially for older children. I really liked the ending, too. The illustrations are colorful and ...more
Kristine
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm adding this to the list of "lost" children's books from my childhood... recognized by the illustration of the pig with a feather headdress on top of a white horse. It's a funny story, with a little too much adventure for a little pig, with a great ending.

The story changes enough and is peppered with enough action to keep my 3 year old engaged for about 3/4ths of the book. I suspect in another 3-4 months, we'll be able to actually read the whole thing through. With almost 50 pages, with abou
Dawn
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a picture book that reads like a chapter book in that it is more suited to a mature child who can handle longer stories. The words in the story are challenging. The story is delightful. We had a lot of good laughs while we read this book.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: circuses, pigs
I usually quite enjoy Bill Peet's stories, but this one was just long. So the pig wants to be famous and learns to balance on his snout. Does it really take 48 pages and a ridiculous amount of verbiage to resolve his story?

Nice illustrations, but too much text.
Kamrie
Jan 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
I LOVE Bill Peet! This story is a cute little one about an ambitious pig! This book presents excellent use such literary devices as simile, metaphor, and character development through dialogue. Great introduction into teaching children to add figurative language to their own writing!
Terri
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: child-lit, cpl
This is a nice, substantial picture book with wonderful illustrations and a charming, high-adventure story. And there are trains!
Jenifer Jacobs
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Reading Lily's first ever library book from elementary school!
Paul  Hankins
A 1985 picture book I salvaged from the warehouse bins. I did a mini study of Bill Peet titles earlier in the year, and it was nice to find this one I had missed back then.
Emily
Jan 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
This story is so cute...
Greta
May 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
It's a great book about being true to yourself and not succumbing to peer pressure.
Joyce
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-my-kids
Yay Chester!
Colin E.c.
I really love it because it's about a pig and a train and it's really cool.
SmarterLilac
Bill Peet is genius!
Sarah Bedan
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: connor
Very cute book and my son loved after it seeing Charlotte's Web.
Robin
Oct 03, 2014 rated it liked it
A pig runs away from a farm, a circus, a bear, and some tramps to another farm to be bought by a carnival that shows him because his spots look like the continents on a globe.
  • Fanny (Serendipity)
  • Burt Dow, Deep-Water Man
  • Bill and Pete
  • The Adventures of Grandfather Frog
  • Blaze and the Lost Quarry
  • Norman the Doorman
  • Fritz and the Beautiful Horses
Bill Peet was an American children's book illustrator and a story writer for Disney Studios. He joined Disney in 1937 and worked on The Jungle Book, Song of the South, Cinderella, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Goliath II, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Three Caballeros, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other stories.

Aft