Start by marking “Dinosaur Bones” as Want to Read:
Dinosaur Bones

Dinosaur Bones

With a lively rhyming text and vibrant paper collage illustrations, author-artist Bob Barner shakes the dust off the dinosaur bones found in museums and reminds us that they once belonged to living, breathing creatures. Filled with fun dinosaur facts (a T. Rex skull can weigh up to 750 pounds!) and an informational "Dinometer," Dinosaur Bones is sure to make young dinosaur ...more
Published June 1st 2001 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Dinosaur Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinosaur Bones

There are not very many nonfiction books that really work well for very young children, but this one that does. As other reviewers have noted, there is a simple rhyming text at the top of each pair of pages, accompanied by more information in smaller bring. The illustrations are colorful, bright, attractive and uncluttered.

I read this book to groups of two-year olds and their parents, adding a bit of extra information to expand upon the rhymes, but much less than was included in the finer print
Haley
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book starts off by telling you that dinosaurs lived 65 million years ago and then tells you why they are gone now. It goes into telling you how they can see what kind of food the dinosaur ate by looking at their teeth. As the book goes on it talks about the different dinosaurs and tell you different facts about each and everyone. The illustrations in the book are very colorful and I do think that would make for the kids to find the book cool. But in my opinion I think it would have been bett ...more
★ℕłℂØℓҾ★ (Nix)
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Okay, this book is awesome. For younger kids, there's a cute rhyming story along the top, then for older kids, there is more description and detail below. It's a book that matures with your kids! We currently just read the younger kid version, but I'm sure my oldest will want the more detailed information soon. He's such an information sponge.
Suzanna
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rhyming words, bouncy cadence, and simple, short lines on each page make this book perfect for pre-kinders. I would use this book to compare and contrast the descriptive words, allow students to make predictions for rhyming words, and in general to motivate children who love dinosaurs to look at books.
Viviane Elbee
Good introductory non-fiction book about dinosaurs.

Very colorful illustrations.
Tori
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
A nonfiction book with great illustrations that make it a great candidate for storytime.
Shelley
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like that this book should be read in two separate readings, so that the reader can enjoy the rhyme of the art....then the facts of the dinosaurs presented.
Amara
Beautiful book with accurate information. GORGEOUS illustrations, very Day of the Dead like. Sugar skull dinosaurs, cute idea.
Stephan Stachurski
Ebook format is bad

The pages of the book are interspersed with verbose footnotes.

It breaks up the flow. There is no way to turn them off that I can find.
Kaitlyn Halbrook
This is a good book to have as a companion for a science lesson. It has fun illustrations and good information on dinosaurs and their skeletons. It has a few different types of dinosaurs in it. It is a little short, so it would be better aimed towards younger grades.
Courtney
Apr 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ed-310
This book is ideal for a dinosaur lesson. The illustrations are colorful and eye-catching and it's filled with great dinosaur information. This book could really be used for a variety of age levels because of the smaller explanations at the bottom of each page for more advanced readers. For beginning readers, you could always just read the poem that's written across the top.

This book is so clever! The poem doesn't make much sense though unless read straight through. Maybe the book could be read
Allie
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is a great addition to any classroom! The pictures and text flow over two pages. The text is simple and easy to read and even rhymes! A young reader would be able to read this book successfully. The author also put facts about the dinosaur on each page that give a little more information. I think this book would work well for any level of reader, advanced or beginning. The beginning reader could read the large text (which is must simpler and includes may 'sight' words). The advanced re ...more
Julia Jasztal
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
...

(Mommy's review from 11/11/08)

Julia adores this book. I bought this when I saw it because of a little special we have on t.v. from our provider. It's a cartoon of the book and I didn't know, until I saw this, that it was adapted from a book.
Julia was surprised when I brought it home and since then we've read it many times. If you have the same show available to you and a kid who loves dinos I definitely recommend.
Margaret Samuels
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
G 5yrs: "It's so great because it gotten bones and dinosaur bones. If indominous rex was real it would have spikes on it's head. Meat eaters have sharp teeth. There were T rex, triceratops, and brachiosaurous in this book. In the ending there was a dinosaur kind of like an ankleosaur. And a spinosaurus was in it."
Kristina Moss
Apr 07, 2014 added it
Shelves: science
Dinosaur Bones by Bob Barner is a rhyming book about the lively extinct creatures dinosaurs. Throughout the book is fact based information on all types of dinosaurs. I would use this book in my classroom in science. I would use this book to help me introduce dinosaurs and other extinct things in nature to my students.
Magila
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was a few fact pages away from a 5. I enjoy the creative non-fiction books for children. And what boy doesn't love dinosaurs.

The author interspersed occasional facts that were unique and intriguing to children. It just fell short of being a book you could say, "now this is a book where you can do some learning about dinosaurs!"
Nicole
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book that could be read a couple of ways. As a first read, it's fun to read the rhyme. A second read through could be good for honing in on some of the dinosaur facts. Cute presentation.
Elaine Conway
non fiction, dinosaurs, rhyming
ELT: Add non-fiction books like this one to storytime, it has additional facts to talk about on each page, and non-fiction books are important to lifelong literacy. Many kids who think they don't like to read actually enjoy non-fiction.
Toddler, Preschool
Kellee Hao
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Grade: Kindergarten

Who wouldn't like to enjoy a good poetry book about big strong dinosaurs? This book is a beginner source for the little ones who are interested in dinosaurs; as a teacher, you can use this book to help them be educated in the area of their interest.
Cassi Dick
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a perfect book when you are teaching a lesson about dinosaurs. It goes through different dinosaurs and give facts about them showing differnces between them. This would be a good book to add into a first grade lesson.
Sarah Adamson
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun dinosaur book approaching the topic from the bones! Nice way for kids to really relate the dinosaur bones they always see in the natural history museums to real dinosaurs to make it relevant and help them put it all together. Fun use of pictures and footprints as bonus illustrations.
Joshua Gage
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
My daughter read this to me for school. It's a bit simplistic for a non-fiction book, but she was still engaged with it. The vocabulary was right where it needed to be and the pictures were fun.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
May 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
My son really enjoys dinosaurs, so this was a winner!
Kailey
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well I don't really like Dinosaurs. I just looked on the book to see how to spell it. I was a good book though. My little brother liked it so. I t is educational. I liked it.
Tommy
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is more a favorite of the skeleton-obsessed Danny, but Tommy was excited to see that his pajamas matched the book cover.
Cheyenne
This is a great book with such bright illustrations. It is perfect for Kindergarten age.
Sharon
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Danny is obsessed with skeletons and loves dinosaurs, so this is a perfect book. It has short rhyming lines as well as longer paragraphs of information.
Anne
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dinosaurs
Ebook not so successful. Will have to read print version.
Amber Frick
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informative

It was a good book to read together. My son is 6 and read the bold sections and I read the rest to him.

Theresa Lively
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Colorful pictures and kept interest going through the book. Gave a good amount of information without being dull. Liked the rhyming sentences.

• Barnum's Bones: How Barnum Brown Discovered the Most Famous Dinosaur in the World
  • Bones, Bones, Dinosaur Bones
  • Secrets of the Garden: Food Chains and the Food Web in Our Backyard
  • Fossils Tell of Long Ago
  • If the Dinosaurs Came Back
  • Waiting for Wings
  • Boom Chicka Rock
  • Snuggle Up Sleepy Ones
  • Fly Guy Presents: Dinosaurs (Fly Guy Presents, #3)
  • I (Don't) Like Snakes
  • Sheep on a Ship
  • Boy, Were  We Wrong About Dinosaurs!
  • Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs
  • Electric Ben: The Amazing Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin
  • Prehistoric Actual Size
  • underGROUND
  • The Emperor's Egg
  • Dinosaur Dig!
Bob Barner has been drawing since he was three years old. He graduated from the Columbus College of Art and Design, then moved to Boston where he was an art director at several advertising agencies and design studios. He was hired to help comic strip creator Al Capp draw Li'l Abner and studied with Milton Glaser at the School of Visual Arts in New York. He lives with his wife, Cathie, in San Franc ...more