Start by marking “How To Get What You Want And Want What You Have” as Want to Read:
How To Get What You Want And Want What You Have

How To Get What You Want And Want What You Have

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  905 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
OPRAH WINFREY LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH SHE ASKED JOHN GRAY TO TAKE OVER AN ENTIRE EPISODE OF HER SHOW TO TALK ABOUT IT!

Millions of readers have experienced John Gray's healing advice through his Mars & Venus series. Now this master therapist takes therapy to the next level with a brilliant new personal success programme. Combining Western healing techniques with Eastern
Published January 4th 2001 by Vermilion (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about How To Get What You Want And Want What You Have, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Get What You Want And Want What You Have

Judith Symonds
Dec 10, 2010 is currently reading it
Recommends it for: Sensitive people and parents of sensitive children
Recommended to Judith by: The Millionaires Reading List
I am 38 years old and quite often other people notice that I am sensitive. I am now only coming to terms with this myself & John Gray helped me. What most people comment about Gray's work is the 'love tanks'. This makes alot of sense to me. Too much of a good thing can be, well just 'too much' and my mother always taught me 'everything in moderation'. Great! However, what I had never really understood is that people who wear their heart on their sleeve or 'sensitive people' absorb much more ...more
Rosslyn
Aug 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous book for people that found themselves wanting more after reading Rhonda Byrnes "The Secret". John Gray teaches the reader how to be true to himself in order to achieve personal happiness.
Aisha B
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Good book again reminded me of our Islam to appreciate everything we have. Loved that each page has the most important sentence highlighted so it reminds the reader of its importance. It's completed my read to the book "The Secret".
Marie Christine
Sep 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
Not my kind of thing. Same mumbo jumbo as 'the secret'.
Riham
Aug 29, 2007 is currently reading it
Recommends it for: ALL MY FRIENDS
FIRST THOUGHTS:
HOW BEAUTIFUL IS ISLAM!
the book s simply describing one of the main islamic concepts in our relation to ALLAH...
ALREDA!
the rest is to be posted ISA!
Carol
May 07, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked a few of the chapters that did not dwell on God. I learned that we all have several love tanks and when one is full it can change the way we interact with that person. We need to then switch to another love tank and try to keep them all in balance. An interesting concept.
Catherine
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book offers clear and concise guidance into how many of our blockages can be cleared.
As human beings we get blocked and emptied at different stages of our lives. be it in childhood teen years or in relationships, we all ge hurt at some stage.
In this book John Gray opens the mind body and spirit to the various options available to us, in order to create a balance in our lives and become healthy again.
Fear , trust, forgiveness and most of all unconditional LOVE are dealt with in a compassion
Lisa
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm doing the #READ100 a day challenge that Richard Denney mentioned about on his YouTube channel. It really is helping me get more reading done. I've read this book in three days and usually it takes me longer to read a book than that. This book was really easy for me to fly through though. It was understandable yet also very descriptive in the purpose of the soul message. I have read a few self help books this year and this one has got to be my favorite one. Even though I'm an agnostic and don ...more
Jurgen
May 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book really didn't work for me. The more I read, the more it seemed like completely hilarious BS. even got me laughing at some sections where I think you shouldn't be laughing. really making gun hands and shooting at plants. those poor innocent plants. what did they ever do to you.
off course if this book worked for you, great for you. I on the other hand do not belong to that group.
Charmin
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: growth
Highlights:
1. Keep wishing for what you want (intention) and keep your heart open (acceptance).
2. Do your best. Surrender to god for the rest.
3. Personal success –the ability of getting what you want and wanting what you have.
Rebekah Sheppard
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marriage
Excellent insight on how to move forward with past bad experiences.
Ouiame Filali
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
To control our life we have to deal with our past and all the negative feelings left.
In every step of our life, from infancy to adulthood, we need a special kind of love; the love of GOD, of our parents, of our siblings and friends, of our partner, of our children, of people who needs us, but the most important we need to love, value and appreciate ourselves. Any lack of these love tanks could negatively affect our present and future. Sometimes we feel depressed, empty or paralyzed, we have all
Claire
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I most liked how simple John Gray made success sound.

There are lots of little anecdotes to support his thesis, as well. ("You can get what you want and enjoy it.")

I didn't give him a maximum rating since his advice is a little reliant on God.
I mean, I've read that could stand for "Good Orderly Direction" so that is essentially OK.

This guide does not have an index, which lost it esteem in my opinion, even if it does condone meditation, which I like.

One thing I found a little distracting about thi
Shirin Abdel Rahman
I won't exaggerate and say this book changed my life yet it changed my perspective to certain matters.
the author is advocating a mental and religious approach to heal your soul and cope with your new life, no one can control his life hundred percent or external factors yet we can definitely control the outcome and how we see things from our point of view, let the bygones bygone and stop blaming others for your anxiety,depression and fear of the future, the four tanks of love and twelve blocks ar
Sherry  Cabrera
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of my all time favorite books. Really puts life in perspective and explains what really makes a person happy.
Sonja
Jan 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Old fashioned thinking about women made me not want to finish this one. Outdated and not really concrete.
Looly 1988
كتاب رائع لكن الترجمة سيئة
Sean
Oct 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Author of the popular Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus books, John Gray goes beyond the topic of men/women in this book and addresses the more fundamental aspects of how to be happy. He doesn't take the tact of some books the profess to teach you how to aggressively go after everything you've always wanted, always reaching for more. This also isn't a book that tries to teach you to just accept what life has to offer, being happy with what you already have. Rather, Gray takes a middle road ...more
Mohammed Garad
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is one of the books that really amazed me on how to explain the stages of your life. I was looking for why so many people get into crisis while they are ageing, so this one explained it very well. However, keep in mind that people go through different circumstances but overall their patterns are the same.
I really recommend this book for people who are 24-29 years old because they have many questions about how fulfil life.
Ann
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a good book with practical advice on dealing with your feelings and getting beyond some of the stumbling blocks that keep you from being happy. It's written on a level that is not "preachy" but uses some common sense approaches to solving your issues. This is one of the better "self help" books that I have read.
ConnieC
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading "Leadership and Self-Deception" by the Arbingner Institute and I was reminded of way back how this book by John Gray helped soothe me to take responsibility for my choices in my life.

This book reasoned with me and helped me see that I had what I wanted, I just needed to accept that I had it, and it was good.
Carleen
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Doing too much is sometimes the result of not believing in your power to attract and create success." -John Gray

"Nice people deny their wants and needs for the good of all." -John Gray

"Resentment is a clear sign that you have been giving to much in the wrong direction." -Joh Gray
Nancy Faye
Oct 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
The general information in this John Gray book is something I refer too often. Gray gives insights on how to break thru bocks to success. This book introduced at least a decade ago still attracks loyal fans.
Dustie
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mindfullness
Stacie
Dec 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
Joy. Love. Confidence. Peace.
Geert
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
talks about the different stages in life. What it is when we are 'missing something'.

talks about love tanks and how to deal with different emotions.
Jenny
Apr 03, 2009 rated it liked it
read in 2000.
Anny
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it
I was reading it in estonian language
Larisa
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another favourite book of mine. Highly recommend.
Hessam
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is straightforward..... clearly a result of psychological research....
  • Shadow Dance: Liberating the Power & Creativity of Your Dark Side
  • Women Who Think Too Much: How to Break Free of Overthinking and Reclaim Your Life
  • Take Time for Your Life
  • The Courage to be Rich
  • Open Your Mind to Prosperity
  • End The Struggle And Dance With Life: How To Build Yourself Up When The World Gets You Down
  • Coping With Difficult People: The Proven-Effective Battle Plan That Has Helped Millions Deal with the Troublemakers in Their Lives at Home and at Work
  • Self-Esteem: A proven program of cognitive techniques for assessing, improving and maintaining your self-esteem
  • Girlfriends: Invisible Bonds, Enduring Ties
  • Empires of the Mind: Lessons To Lead And Succeed In A Knowledge-Based World
  • Healing Your Emotional Self: A Powerful Program to Help You Raise Your Self-Esteem, Quiet Your Inner Critic, and Overcome Your Shame
  • الثبات
  • Love Your Body
  • Living with Death and Dying
  • How to Raise Your Self-Esteem: The Proven Action-Oriented Approach to Greater Self-Respect and Self-Confidence
  • Dare to Win
  • Write It Down, Make It Happen: Knowing What You Want And Getting It
  • The Power of Verbal Intelligence: 10 ways to tap into your verbal genius

John Gray is an American author on relationships and personal growth, best known for his 1992 book Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus, and other "pop psychology" books offering relationship advice.

He was previously married to fellow self-help author Barbara De Angelis, but they divorced in 1984. He is now m
More about John Gray

• The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures
    $19.99 $1.99
  • Without a Doubt
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials)
    $11.99 $2.99
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Belles on Their Toes
  • Unshakeable Trust: Find the Joy of Trusting God at All Times, in All Things
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Charlie Wilson's War: The Extraordinary Story of How the Wildest Man in Congress and a Rogue CIA Agent Changed the History
  • Unseen: The Gift of Being Hidden in a World That Loves to Be Noticed