Start by marking “Perfect Crime” as Want to Read:
Perfect Crime

Perfect Crime

A San Francisco wife plots to murder her philandering husband by being in two places at one time.
She commits the Perfect Crime and starts an exciting new life with a sexy new boyfriend, living off the life insurance policy of her murdered husband.
Until her doorbell rings one night . . . .
Kindle Edition, Short story, 21 pages
Published (first published December 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Perfect Crime, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Mandy
Jan 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Was an alright book, downloaded free. Not amazing but not horrible by any means... Would have liked it to be a little longer and have a little more meat behind it.
Jim
I didn't hate this story & I think there's hope for this author. He could be a good one, so I'm going to take the time to point out what bothered me.

This was told from the first person point of view. I usually like those, but this was a guy telling the story as a girl & it just didn't ring true all the time, although it wasn't horrible - just a little off. Can't say why, though. I think this might have been better if the sexes of the characters was switched.

The setup & situation was
Devi Nair
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks

Check out the complete review at Perfect Crime > Review

A perfect crime in the minimum possible words. It is said that "there is no such thing as a perfect crime". A woman tries to prove that saying wrong and the story is all about her attempt to do the impossible.

It has always amazed me how authors manage to pack a super suspense thriller in just a few words, just some pages. This is one such book. The suspense is powerful and because the story is short, it is super paced. However there is no
Katherine
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cheryl was a businesswomen who hatched a perfect plan to plot the murder of her cheating husband and his mistress. She always had growing suspicion that Lyle was having multiple affairs and when she finally caught him red handed rather than confronting his sorry face she decided to put a full stop to the matter.

But Cheryl forgot that no matter how many cunning steps you take to cover up the crime, there is no such thing as "perfect crime." The perpetrator will most definitely leave make mistake
Neil
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was a short story murder/mystery. It was well written in places, but had gaping holes in other parts. The plot line itself was rather predictable, and never really seemed to make it out of second gear. It was written in the style of the first person, but there was nothing to endear the main character to the reader. The same could be said for the other characters too.
Maybe I was hoping for too much from this book, but what can you fit in to just over 20 pages. If various items of repetition
Godzilla
Mar 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012, crime, kindle
For a short story I thought it lacked any real sense of tension or pace until the last couple of pages, and even then the denouement left me startling unmoved.

I'm enjoying the access to free books the kindle gives, but am starting to realise that some reviewers are far too liberal with their stars!

The main character in here was promising, a feisty, go-getting woman, but the story didn't exploit that to it's advantage. I'd love to have seen the character develop further and the perilous situation
Gina
This was a pretty good short story about one crazy woman intent on the "Perfect Crime". Using her intelligence in engineering she planned out her crime in detail. This is an author I will be on the lookout for!
Anita
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-odyssey
What a page turner! This short story is about a woman who suspects her husband is cheating on her. When she catches him with the other woman she sets the house on fire and makes it look like a freak accident. She thinks she has covered all her tracks but she slips up and forgets one thing. I love mysteries, but I've never been a fan of short stories. I figured reading a mystery in a format that I am not pleased with opened my eyes that short stories can be intriguing. I read this in one day and ...more
Thom Swennes
Jul 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: free-e-book
“Heaven has no rage, like love to hatred, Hell hath no fury, like a woman scorned”; this quote by William Congreve sums up this story perfectly. When a wife discovers her husband’s infidelity, she makes a plan to take both her betrayer and his lover out. He engineering mind works out the details and set the timetable for the perfect crime. The author presents a highly readable, unusually explicit and certainly believable crime in a nutshell. One can only surmise that the only nicks can only be s ...more
Katie
Jun 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Well executed short story. You can always tell the writing skills of a an author by how well they can tell a complete story in such a short number of pages. This one was excellent. The writing was really engaging adding a number of interesting descriptions that really drew you into the theme of the story. I enjoyed it a lot. The ending was a bit of a startle. Meaning every thing seems to be swimming along perfectly then BAM! a new character introduced in the final pages and everything falls apar ...more
Nilesh Karkhanis
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Very short crime thriller book. Could have preferred bit more length. It seems as perfect crime as the title suggests at first but as you progress through this short story you notice that it's not a perfect crime as there were some loopholes which you can think while reading. A quickie for those who love crime thrillers though it lacks thrill.
✿Claire✿
I didn't get this book, it spent far too much time gloating over the fact that she'd achieved the 'perfect crime', suddenly ground to a conclusion and then threw in a completely unnecessary twist that really needed far more explanation at the end.
Nicole Newell
Dec 12, 2013 rated it liked it
It's an ok read

At the beginning, I felt like it was everywhere kind of hard to follow. As the story develops it got easier to understand and made more sense. Once I finished reading it I thought it was pretty good.
Samantha
May 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, own
It was a little bit too short. The story builds up and then you get an almost abrupt ending. Would have been more interesting if it was expanded upon and if the ending didn't leave something to be desired.
Wanda Rotramel
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not to interesting

Not my type of book.did not hold my interest would lose track of charactes I would of liked more action.
Gatorman
May 05, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a lame short story with a boring, unoriginal ending. The only redeeming quality was that it was short.
Zina Losey
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Erickson is an excellent writer! Great suspense! Wanted it to be longer because it was so good. That was the first story. The other two weren’t as good (in my book), but I would definitely read Erickson again.
Dwayne Fry
Aug 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I read this story while at work today. It's a quick read. It was nicely paced and kept me wondering what was going to happen next.

However, there were some flaws. The first page or two read a bit like a travelogue. We know the main character is in San Francisco and we're told and told what San Francisco looks like instead of being shown what it is like. This is something that a writer needs to learn. It's the difference between writing and typing (to paraphrase Truman Capote). Show us, don't tell
Juso
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Perfect Crime" by Jack Erickson is a great mystery book! The book starts off slowly with Cheryl, the main character describing the scenery of her drive towards a secluded area. Once there, the book quickly picks up with Cheryl attempting to catch her husband, Lyle, in an act to cheat on her with another woman. When she does notice that Lyle is cheating on her, she quickly uses propane gas to set the house on fire and fleas the scene. After 12 hours have passed, which included her driving to the ...more
Adriene Cook

I just finished the book called, Perfect Crime by Jack Erickson. He was born in Williston, North Dakota, The United States, and April 14. Love of fiction books when he was a kid reading the Hardy Boys books. He mostly writes short mystery story’s that aren’t really known.

The story starts off with the wife; Mrs. Hardin on the way to kill her husband who she discovers is really cheating on her. She tells the details of what she went through to find out how her husband planed out how he was going
Deb
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Perfect Crime is the second short story I have read by Jack Erickson (the first being The Stalker) and I was not disappointed. The author has a remarkable gift for taking a small narrative and turning it into an exciting page turner. While the story is only about 20 pages in length, the author portrays the essence of the characters and engages the reader in a stimulating account of murder, turmoil, and mystery.

The Perfect Crime, written in first person by the main character, delves into wha
Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff)
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone..
Shelves: short-story, mystery
"It was time to leave. I had committed the perfect crime."

This is what Mrs. Cheryl Harding thinks when she plans and murders her cheating husband, Lyle. She is confident that she has left no loop holes and her alibi is air tight.

But is it possible to commit a Perfect Crime?
Has Cheryl, with all her calculations and meticulous plans, managed such a fete?
Will the police be able to connect her to her husband's murder or will she go free and enjoy her life as per her plans?

A shot story from Jack
Monique
Was this short story a suspense thriller or a mystery I dont know and never really figured out as I sped through it on my Kindle (been a minute since I read on it and I always smile when I reach to turn a page) I kept wondering what in the world was going on...Okay so after a really slow flowery scenic beginning you learn that you are being narrated by a woman intent on catching her adulterous husband with his latest conquest at a friend's rented beach house. It goes on to describe her reasons a ...more
Kirsty
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, own, read-in-2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this quick read. I found myself pulled into the story quickly and easily which is needed for a short story to be successful. This is a story about a woman who finds out her partner is cheating on her. Rather than dealing with this in a normal way, she decides to punish him and the woman he is with and devise a plan to kill them both.

I found myself originally routing for the main character and her devious plan, despite how wrong it all was. I found her plan clever and well ex
Julie Haigh
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of crime novels/thrillers/short stories
Recommended to Julie by: selected from Amazon free bestsellers lists
Shelves: reviewed-books
Perfect short book.

This was one of my first introductions to kindle. I had a new phone and had the kindle app on it. Having always been an avid book lover, (that's the Hardback and Paperback variety), I was convinced I wouldn't be getting a kindle anytime soon-but this completely changed my mind! This is a great little book, and all for free! It was free a couple of years ago when I got it, and it still is. Now, don't let that put you off, the fact that it's free, because it is a good read that
Utkarsh
Jul 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Author was descriptive in telling the scenes. I liked the writing style and it has some potential.

But the story had nothing to it. Plot is predictable and for committing "perfect crime", protagonist not even bothered to change her appearance (that's just silly). Author tells me that she has engineering degree(intelligent character) and am guessing its related to software, since she was working for software launch. But, how her degree in Computer Science or IT helped her to create tube for propan
Troy
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a Kindle Free Download short story and I really liked it. Decent plot with excellent description throughout and a believable ending. It really had the makings of a fine full length novel should the author have decided to go in that direction. It was good enough that I'd be willing to read a full length mystery feature by Jack Erickson should he publish one in the future.
Christy
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Not bad

I chose this book because of its interesting synopsis; I was not disappointed, as it lived up to my expectations. The only complaint I can think of is that I wish the story had been longer or that there is another part or follow up. Over all, great story.
Marie
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews
This is a simple and pretty straight forward crime short story. The writing is good and it wraps up in a good way. It is pretty obvious how its going to end, but the style and length is good for this type of short story. 3,5 stars.
Vishal Bhaskaran
Mar 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
Rather elaborate language and descriptions. Story is well thought out but not very well executed. To call it the Perfect Crime is a bit if an overreach.
There are no other suspects and it's rather obvious. Either she gets caught or she doesn't.
  • For Sale In Palm Springs (Henry Wright #1)
  • Clearwater Journals
  • Resurrection
  • Disturbed Earth
  • Life Blood
  • One Deadly Sister (Sandy Reid Mysteries, #1)
  • Sacred Secrets (Jacody Ives Mystery)
  • I Witch
  • The Silver Ring
  • Looking For Ward
  • Shrouded in Silence
  • Shadow Games (Shadow People, #1)
  • Famous Last Words
  • Alison
  • Snapdragon Alley
  • The Walled Garden
  • Eye of the God
  • Graveyard Games
My interest in fiction, especially mysteries, started when I was about ten years old and read my first Hardy Boys books, "Secret of the Old Clock," I think the title was. I saved up from mowing lawns and running errands to buy every title I could. They were only $1.00 each, but when you're only making 25 cents an hour, it takes time to save those nickels and dimes.

And then I discovered shelves of
“I braced for what lay ahead; my life could change profoundly in the next few moments. I was about to confirm—or deny—my suspicion that my husband was shacking up with his lover in one of the secluded homes.” 0 likes
“Someone—or ones—was in the house; my gut told me they were my faithless husband and his illicit lover. A ribbon of smoke curled from the chimney. My plan was going to work!” 0 likes