Start by marking “His Majesty, the Prince of Toads” as Want to Read:
His Majesty, the Prince of Toads

His Majesty, the Prince of Toads

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  534 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Sometimes it takes more than a kiss to change a toad into a handsome prince.

When Captain Lucas Deverall returns from the Peninsular War to succeed to his deceased brother's title, he grudgingly decides to take back his wife. But even before he learns the circumstances of his inheritance, he encounters her at a New Year's gala. Shock sets in as he realizes the most beautifu
Published March 29th 2010 by Delle Jacobs (first published October 20th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about His Majesty, the Prince of Toads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Majesty, the Prince of Toads

KatieV
This was enjoyable. Probably not for period purists. There were a few phrases/some wording that didn't feel quite right for the Regency era ,but what do I know?.

I liked the first half best. I was hoping for something a little different at the end. Can't quite put my finger on it other than it didn't quite satisfy me. I didn't hate it, but IMHO it fizzled a bit about 1/2 way and went from 4 to 3 stars. YMMV.

The hero was the wild youngest son of a Viscount who spent all his time drinking and wom
Lori Lyn
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, romance
I so enjoyed reading Delle Jacobs' "His Majesty, The Prince of Toads". It was a moving, passionate and fun story of Sophie, a war orphan and the abandoned bride of wounded war captain and viscount, Lord Lucas Deverall. Both suffered before and since they last saw each other six years previously, on their unconsummated wedding night - and each has matured after that disastrous incident. Both Lucas and Sophie hold painful personal secrets they fear to reveal to another living soul. However, each n ...more
Kathie (katmom)
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved how this started. The gorgeous Captain wanting to meet the beautiful lady at the ball. His surprise, and anger, over the fact that she is his WIFE, who he has not seen in six years, was fun to watch.

There was quite a bit of miscommunication, which I would have wished edited out. I wasn't fond of how many times we read about their issues. I got it the first two times, didn't need to read it over and over again.

But, I do like to see a couple learn to give in and forgive. And Lucas and Sophie
Caro
This book was quite entertaining. I bought it on a whim without really caring what it was.
His Majesty, the Prince of Toads was the story about Lord Deverill and his hated wife, Sophie, who apparently forced him into this marriage he hadn't wanted. Sadly, on his return from the war, Lord Deverill is informed about his financial issues... and discovers his wife's fortune, that only she can touch.
Now, the infamous playboy of a viscount has to fight for the attention of his angry wife, who sees the
Lady Wesley
Interesting story; good characters. I enjoyed it, but didn't love it.
Ambrosia
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Danielle
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Rose May
Jun 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: c
Note: This review, and all my reviews, comes from my blog - Romantic Rose's Bookshelf (http://romantic-rosesblog.blogspot.com)

I love those stories where the husband must pursue his wife - but I generally prefer that he do so well. Although it was a fun courtship, it was very hard to feel the love blossoming on either side. I admit myself to being confused as to when our hero, Lucas Deverall’s, affections turned from being money-motivated to being love-motivated. I found it rather difficult to un
Peggy Bird
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Angry at what he believes was a trick to get him to marry Sophie von Schamburg, Lucas Deverall leaves for six years in the army only to come back to a mountain of debt incurred by his brother. To save the family's finances he decides to get the money he needs from the woman he's been ignoring for years. Prince of Toads, indeed. Sophie sees his campaign to woo her money away from her as a way to wreak revenge on him for abandoning her. It's a fun ride following the two of them as they work out th ...more
Maggi Andersen
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delle Jacobs did a good job with this light Regency romance. Plenty of excellent historical detail and a wounded, charismatic hero, although the heroine seemed mean at times. We learn why later as the well thought out plot unfolds, but for some of the book I wasn't entirely there for her. I liked the way the relationship was worked through as they developed feelings for one another, I just wish everyone wasn't inclined to snicker. I found much to like in this and would read another of her books.
Kelly Ann
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this love story, again the author really focused on the characters with a lot of interaction between them and I like that. I didn't like it as well as The Mudlark but it was still a good read and as excellent way to pass the evening. I liked both characters but I do wish that Sophia had given over just a little bit more here and there. It was not a disappointing romance in the least, it just took both of them a little bit longer to get there then I would have initially thought. The sup ...more
Cinnamon Girl
After several duds from the freebies selection, I got hooked in this one. Yep, the hero was most definitely a stubborn ass, but the moment of his realizing his fault and her innocence was sweet.

(view spoiler)

Sophie did have a very bad time as a child. At 13 she sees her parents murdered and thinks it's her fault. Then she was nearly murdered herself. To me a lot of her behavior was logical considering her trauma.
Penelope Marzec
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ice, skating
I am so glad I finally took the time to read this book. Delle Jacobs endowed her characters with surprising depth. I was hooked on the story right from the start. Forced into marriage at a young age, both the heroine and hero spend six years apart. In that time, they change, but it is not until they clear away their misunderstanding that they can begin to forgive and learn to trust each other. Truly a wonderful tale!
Brianne Whitley
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! I just love historical romance novels! It always amazes me what people had and could go through back in that time period. I am amazed Sophie stayed as strong as she did throughout the book. I respect her for what she went through and I cannot imagine going through anything like that at all. I love the dynamic between Lucas and Sophie. The opening scene of the book still has to be one of my favorite parts! Great book!
Joy
Nov 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A marriage-in-trouble Regency, but so well done. Both hero and heroine feel they have been trapped into an unwanted marriage; after years apart, they attempt a reconciliation that cannot be successful until they both face the horrors of their war-scarred pasts. I really liked this book, it had just the right mix of tormented characters, a tear-jerking emotional workout, and happy ending despite everything.
Penelope Marzec
Stacie
Aug 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good story but it kept going on and on with all the misunderstandings and negative assumptions. It got annoying. Then finally the happy came and the book just ended abruptly. I would like to read more of the happy! The same thing happen in the last book I read by this author so I'm not sure if I'll read more from her. Happy reading anyway!!
Mary
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really liked the plot, and how it all played out, but feel it could have been more played out into an extension of the ending. The love scene more soothing to the complexities of the feelings of Sophie. The resolution of the ending to short.

Maybe there could of been one year later chapter. Overall, I enjoyed the characters and their part in the story.
Kimberlee
First thing this was a free read on Amazon. It has a really great plot line, but somewhere in the translation it lost it spark. I would be reading along and I would feel all these emotions, then BAM I was like really where is this going. But with that said it's not unreadable. and It killed an afternoon.
Sylvia
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I purchased this while on the free list, and found a new favorite author. This book was lovely and fun! There was a great deal of mystery and romance and heartache, but also parts that made me laugh out loud. I couldn't put it down. The characters were believable and engaging and the writing was smooth and well edited. I would definitely recommend it to a friend.
Debra Ashwood
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got to love when this happens...he is wasted and thinks he knows what happens and she is innocent and knows what happens. Regency times there is a forced marriage. Now what happens after is the story. Like an onion layer upon layers are removed to get to the truth. I liked this story by Jacobs. Will be reading more.
Avey Shannon
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This Regency romance was a very enjoyable read. The historical references of this time period were very well written with all of the characters believable. I would definitely recommend this book to my friends.
Kalinya Parker-Pryce
Read it, read it, read it. This is a great read with wonderfully real, flawed characters - a hero blindsided by reality and a heroine who makes her Prince Charming really work for his happy ever after.
Kyra Dunst
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful romance! I love the book that resulted from the notion of the frog prince. The characters were deep, and by the end, I felt like rooting for them both. If you love a good romance, you won't be disappointed with this book.
Michele Lacroix
this was another freebee and I did enjoy it. I liked the feisty Sophie and how she managed her toad of a husband. I also liked the toad of a husband who believed himself wronged. He, was a really bully, I don't like bullies. But he did have some redeeming qualities.
Tara
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although the book hit home a few times including a husband away at war, there were a few discrepancies throughout the book that I couldn't get past. Overall, I enjoyed the book. The characters were well formed and the ending clever.
Delle Samples
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delle Jacobs writes the cutest stories!! You do not want to miss out on any of her books. They will hold your interest and make you smile!!
Gwen Hayes
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
A STEAL for .99 Kindle version. A very enjoyable read.
Beebs
4.5 really. Every so often, there's a wonderful gem hidden among the Amazon freebies. This book is one, couldn't put it down.
RIF
  • Sweet Surrender
  • Lady Iona's Rebellion
  • Her Lord and Protector
  • Twice a Rake
  • The Dissolute Duke (Wellinghams, #4)
  • Brandywine (The Brocade #1)
  • Her Master's Touch
  • Hope's Betrayal (The Huntley Trilogy #2)
  • The Mad Mistress (The Rakehell Regency #1)
  • One True Love
  • At Last
  • Winter's Heat (The Graistan Chronicles, #1)
  • A Gentle Grace (Wedded Women Quartet, #4)
  • Lord of Devil Isle
  • Nothing To Commend Her
I write write write. Sometimes I travel. Then I write some more. And I have a great family who understand that I write write write.
More about Delle Jacobs...