Start by marking “The Holy Innocents (Roger the Chapman, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Holy Innocents (Roger the Chapman, #4)

The Holy Innocents

(Roger the Chapman #4)

It is a shadowy early morning in April 1475 - Hock Monday, two weeks and a day past Easter. There's spring in the air and in Roger's step as he approaches the thriving village of Totnes. But Roger also senses danger in the air: A pack of cutthroats wanders the forest after a night of stealing and pillaging in the surrounding villages, and Roger barely manages to hide from ...more
Published June 1st 1996 by HarperTorch (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Holy Innocents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Holy Innocents

Start your review of The Holy Innocents (Roger the Chapman, #4)
Yomi Mi Ri
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La cuarta parte de una larga serie de libros, donde el misterio está a la vuelta de la esquina.
Desde que dejó la abadía donde le esperaba un futuro en la vida religiosa, Roger ha sido llevado por Dios a sitios donde se le requiere, donde sus dotes de curioso empedernido -chismoso-, su facilidad para hacer preguntas -metiche-, y sus habilidades como observador le harán ser un detective como ninguno.
En esta ocasión se ve en el misterio de dos niños que han sido asesinados, presumiblemente por unos
Nancy
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
A nice quick read and easy to follow. I found the occasional use of modern words a slight issue. It is glaring when someone in medieval England says they were playing "football". That is just one of several modern words that stuck out like sore thumbs but they, mostly, do not detract from the tale. The plot moves at a nice pace. The dialogue is mostly believable. The descriptive sections are well done so you get a good image of most important places.

The only thing I found annoying was the sense
dOnnabud
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superbly woven tale with an unanticipated ending, which is always fun! It's a great read, especially for medieval history buffs :)

I appreciate Kate Sedley's detailed descriptions. Here are a few favorite passages:

"The covered gallery to my right threw long, slanting shadows across the paving stones, where soft cushions of moss and tall stems of nettle and hairy bittercress were forcing themselves between the uneven flags." page 49

"The fragile golden glow of the candle-flame spread slowly across
Jesús Cardeña Morales
La mejor entrega de la serie hasta ahora.
Aunque desde el principio tuve mis dudas con respecto a un personaje, la autora hace que no lo tengas claro hasta el final por no saber un dato del asesinato de los niños, aunque lo gracioso es que el dato te lo está dando desde el principio de la historia.
Me he leído el libro prácticamente en dos días (aunque lo empecé antes pero por motivos de trabajo he ido leyendo poco y ha sido este fin de semana cuando he leído casi todo)
Me queda todavía un libro
Joan
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sedley creates some interesting women characters in this installment but the plot does not hold together well. It was an interesting premise but I figured out "who did it" about halfway through the book. ...more
Stuart Mansfield
Are you looking for good books to read? I'm sharing my reading list with the best books. ...more
Lois
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Holy Innocents is book 4 in Roger the chapman series by Kate Sedley. I simply love this series. I'm only sorry that our library doesn't have book one or book three. I searched the kindle library as well and came up empty.

The two books I've read work as stand-alone titles, however, you miss certain events that lend information to subsequent tales. In this adventure, Roger (a 13th century traveling peddler) finds himself widowed with a baby after his wife died in child birth. I feel I missed a
Melani D
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book by Sedley in her Roger the Chapman series. I must admit to thoroughly enjoying the book. I was completely engaged with the characters. I thought the mystery was tightly written. The author does an excellent job of creating a well written story with great historical accuracy and interest. I will definitely be picking up the other books in this series!
Mimi
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
In this fourth entry in the series, Roger the chapman (peddler) helps to discover who killed two children whose mother died in childbirth and whose step-father stands to inherit all the late mother's substantial wealth if he outlives his step-children. ...more
Sandra Strange
Part of the Roger the Chapman medieval mysteries, this one concerns the mysterious deaths of two children in a town victimized by a marauding band of robbers. Though townspeople attribute the children's deaths to the band, Roger isn't sure, and puts himself in danger over and over to investigate. ...more
Hugues
Au quatrième tome, la mécanique des intrigues de Sedley commence à être évidente. Cela n'empêche pas le plaisir de lecture, mais la série est sans doute une des rares où j'arrive à trouver le coupable avant la fin.
Betty
May 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, england
I perhaps have rated this lower because I read two of the series in a row and the second was too similar to the first. Nonetheless, it was well written and carefully represented the 15th century setting. Just space the readings well apart, say a year, and have an enjoyable and educational read.
Cheri Edwards
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, mystery
WOW! Holy SH**! I thought this book was amazing...as I have marked the 5th star (rating). Literally 'Whoa'-ing loudly at certain spots. This one will stay with me for awhile....love it. ...more
Katie
Sep 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, mystery, fantasy
Slow starter, but I liked the ending very much.
Rozonda
Oct 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
Delightfully easy to read, this is a medieval intrigue with a very believable hero, a very young and intelligent pedlar who grows up and learns from his successive adventures.
Robin
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Enjoyable but sadly predictable.
Marian
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Marian by: Doubleday Book club
What a merry dance the culprits lead our Roger. Again our chapman's detective skills are tested and he almost (almost) fails to find the truth. ...more
Jennifer Nona
Feb 14, 2017
Lisa
Jul 26, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• All Clear (All Clear, #2)
  • I Am Half-Sick of Shadows (Flavia de Luce, #4)
  • The Poisoned Pilgrim (The Hangman's Daughter, #4)
  • The Grave's a Fine and Private Place (Flavia de Luce, #9)
  • A Red Herring Without Mustard (Flavia de Luce, #3)
  • Speaking from Among the Bones (Flavia de Luce, #5)
  • Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd (Flavia de Luce, #8)
  • As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust (Flavia de Luce, #7)
  • The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches (Flavia de Luce, #6)
  • Take Your Last Breath (Ruby Redfort #2)
  • After She Wrote Him
  • The Heretic’s Wife
  • The Liar's Wife
  • Quiet Dell
  • All That’s Dead (Logan McRae #12)
  • Malorie (Bird Box, #2)
  • Feminism: A Graphic Guide
  • Living Treasures
Kate Sedley, the pen-name of Brenda Margaret Lilian Honeyman Clarke (born 1926) is an English historical novelist. She was born in Bristol and educated at The Red Maid's School, Westbury-on-Trym. She is married and has a son and a daughter, and one granddaughter.
Her medieval historical whodunnits feature Roger the Chapman, who has given up a monk's cell for the freedom of peddling his wares on th

Roger the Chapman (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Death and the Chapman (Roger the Chapman, #1)
  • The Plymouth Cloak (Roger the Chapman, #2)
  • The Weaver's Tale (Roger the Chapman, #3)
  • The Eve of Saint Hyacinth (Roger the Chapman, #5)
  • The Wicked Winter (Roger the Chapman, #6)
  • The Brothers of Glastonbury (Roger the Chapman, #7)
  • The Weaver's Inheritance (Roger the Chapman, #8)
  • The Saint John's Fern (Roger the Chapman, #9)
  • The Goldsmith's Daughter (Roger the Chapman, #10)
  • The Lammas Feast (Roger the Chapman, #11)

News & Interviews