Start by marking “Myron” as Want to Read:
Myron

Myron

Who pushed Myron Breckinridge through his television screen and onto the set of 'Siren of Babylon'? Who is the mysterious Mr. Williams? And who is the mad cook Whittaker Kaiser, or Maude the mischievous hair bender? Who wants to stop history in its tracks so as to preserve permanently the world of Louis B. Mayer and Andy Hardy? And who wants to alter the male sex so as to ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 214 pages
Published April 12th 1975 by Ballantine Books (first published August 12th 1974)

A Dirty Job by Christopher MooreGood Omens by Terry PratchettFear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. ThompsonLamb by Christopher MooreUck It List by Jimmy Tudeski
Best Dark Humor
614 books — 1,671 voters
Luck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingSwordspoint by Ellen KushnerStalking Darkness by Lynn FlewellingThe Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le GuinAsh by Malinda Lo
LGBT positive SFF
486 books — 162 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Myron
Booktube Goddess
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
See my drag queen book review on Gore Vidal at: https://youtu.be/frfV8F9qbW4

As a follow up to Myra Breckinridge, this is even a whackier story, which is saying a lot!
Eric
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Vidal's secret to his comedic-smut masterpiece "Myra Breckenridge" goes even farther into the left field than that book. Myron, the recently reconstructed male version of Myra, is now a "silent majority" douche who supports Nixon and the Vietnam War. However, the resurgence of his Myra personality literally pushes him into "Sirens of Babylon," a 1948 film that Myra thinks is the key to stopping overpopulation and the Nixon presidency. While inside this film (that takes three weeks to finishing ...more
David Haws
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vidal
Probably as good as I have any right to expect, for an unplanned sequel to a popular novel that was good, but not among the author's best. Still, it's a pretty stunning reflection of Vidal is his gadfly mode. I liked the Supreme Court swear-substitutes, but they would have been funnier if actually required to pass some antiquated form of censorship.
Toby Bond
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
A poor sequel to Myra, very bizarre and fairly directionless.
A
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
This book is cuckoo! It's the sequel (published 6 years later) to Myra Breckenridge, which was itself quite bizarre, but in a much more directed, fierce, and surreally meaningful way. This is just totally random, and the underlying themes about Republican malfeasance and political corruption were way too subtle and stretched much too thin to really bind the story together.

Not helping things much is Vidal's decision to craft a sweeping allegory out of the economic minutiae of studio-era
Miguel Ángel
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really think that it was the most bizarre book I have ever read in my entire life, but it was brilliant, it really was, in fact i don't think I have the right words to describe these autentic piece of art.

The plot is quite bizarre, about a transexual in 1973, who was born Myron but he changed of sex and became Myra, and then she had a unexpected car accident and changed back to Myron, I mean, that for me is quite bizarre already.

Anyway, Myron stays up late at nigh watching an old MGM movie and
Philip
Sep 22, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
48 pages into MYRON, it's nowhere near as perverse as its predecessor, the notorious MYRA BRECKINRIDGE, but so far it's also one heck of a dumb book. Picking up several years after Myra Breckinridge was the victim of a hit-and-run accident which subsequently led to the re-emergence of her formerly-male self, Myron and Mary-Ann are happily-married - Myron writes for television and also runs a Chinese catering service. Suddenly (and incomprehensibly), while watching a 1948 movie on television, ...more
Kevin Cole
Apr 30, 2014 rated it liked it
This book's not bad ... IF you can accept Vidal's going from the far-fetched but realistic world of "Myra Breckinridge" to, without warning, his fantasy satire universe. If you can do that (and admittedly, it's not easy), then you'll have fun and laugh.
I don't know why but Vidal, in later editions of this novel, took out a key joke from the original, in which he substituted curse words with the last names of Supreme Court Justices. Bad move.
Rozonda
Feb 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
If you mix a transexual who wants to save the world by sterilizing males and turning them into Amazons, a love of B-class movies of the 40s and 50s, time-travelling inside your TV,Maria Montez and Nixon...you get the funniest, most intelligent book I've read in years and of which I never tire of. Recommended.
Benji Binks
Aug 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
If you liked Myra Breckinridge at all and if you are a fan of Gore Vidal... This book is something of a disappointment. I kept thinking "really!?" the whole way through and when the feeling was still there at the end I pawned the book off at a library box drop an proceeded to pretty much forget about it.
Jack
Apr 16, 2019 added it
Very imaginative and often good fun but also quite patchy. Almost totally lacks the real subversive force of the first book, and Myra the character does not have much new up her sleeve. It was worth a read however, as it's perfectly agreeable if taken in the right spirit (not too seriously, with expectations adjusted accordingly).
Moureco
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Myra Breckinridge de volta, mas com dilema: a mulher que homem algum alguma vez possuirá debate-se entre possuir, como homem, e deixar-se ser p+ossuída como mulher, nas mais variadas posições. Texto corrosivo como sempre, (Gora Vidal não facilita), para uma conclusão simples: o amor é homo-hetero-bissexual.
Sarah Rigg
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
I got on a Gore Vidal kick my junior year of college. I started with "The City and the Pillar" and moved on to Myra Breckinridge, which I liked even better than "City" and then directly on to "Myron." My notes from my journal at that time only say, "Vidal is an interesting fellow, isn't he?"
Kris
Jan 12, 2013 marked it as i-give-up
couldn't finish, not my type at all. it's a sequel, but I don't think reading the first book would have helped. only tried it cause I thought I should attempt something by Gore Vidal... Ho-hum.. moving on!
Scott
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Myron" is not quite as good as its predecessor, "Myra Breckinridge," but a worthwhile follow-up about the phoniness of Hollywood that throws the idea of time warps into the mix for some seriously messed-up fun.
Pewterbreath
Dec 19, 2007 rated it it was ok
This book is supposed to be WILD. I didn't find it wild. I found it strange but not wild. A sequel to Myra Breckinridge, where they use the Supreme Court Justice names as curse names (Rehnquist means Penis), and also Myron stops time to castrate an actor--wierd--not effective, just wierd.
Luis Cardenas
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mi parecer Myron resulta mas controvertido y a su vez mucho mas placentera que Myra. Por ese mismo cinismo de ella querer cambiarlo todo y de ser él ese prototipo de americano "correcto" que Vidal tanto critica en su trayectoria como ensayista y antagonista de la cultura americana.
Kevin
Dec 02, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This sequel to Myra Breckinridge doesn't have any powells.
Cem
tsk... At page 50 it still hadn't grabbed me, so i let go... Sorry Mr. Vidal some of your books are my favorites, but not this one. I fail to see its point..
Joanne
Apr 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: keep
The literary equivalent of the nehru jacket. Could only have been written in the 70s. No style, no story. Theme is 'turning America around' by creating a super-casgt of sterile Amazons '''
Adrian
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Well, that was an effort..
W.B.
Jan 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
A sequel that follows Myra (now Myron) in her new career as a film critic. I read this donkey years ago and only remember it was witty and pithy on gender but not quite as much transgressive fun.
Lysergius
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
Extremely funny continuation of Myra...
Kat
Oct 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
I'm still in awe of Gore Vidal, but Myron was a weak second compared to Myra.
Robin
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous successor too Myra Breckinridge!
Andrea Dobson
rated it it was ok
Mar 30, 2019
Hannah Fairlamb
Jan 09, 2019
Joanne (Jojo)
Jun 02, 2008
Herb Hastings
rated it did not like it
Jul 06, 2009
Chris
Mar 02, 2010

• The Perfect Crime: The Real Life Crime that Inspired Hitchcock's Rope
  • Burn Marks: A strange time for letters
  • Confessions of the Fox
  • The House on Half Moon Street (Leo Stanhope, #1)
  • Wolf in White Van
  • The Tomb (Repairman Jack, #1)
  • Lovecraft Country
  • The Pioneers (Leatherstocking Tales, #4)
  • The Pathfinder (Leatherstocking Tales, #3)
  • The House of Mirth
  • Uncompromising Honor (Honor Harrington, #14)
  • Magic's Pawn (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #1)
  • The Last Dragonslayer (The Last Dragonslayer, #1)
  • The Warrior's Tale (Anteros, #2)
  • The Forgotten Beasts of Eld
  • Wraeththu (Wraeththu #1-3)
  • To the Stars
  • Forget Me Not
Eugene Luther Gore Vidal was an American writer known for his essays, novels, screenplays, and Broadway plays. He was also known for his patrician manner, Transatlantic accent, and witty aphorisms. Vidal came from a distinguished political lineage; his grandfather was the senator Thomas Gore, and he later became a relation (through marriage) to Jacqueline Kennedy.

Vidal ran for political office