Start by marking “More Than a Skeleton (Jonathan Weber #2)” as Want to Read:
More Than a Skeleton (Jonathan Weber #2)

More Than a Skeleton (Jonathan Weber #2)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  367 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
What if Jesus made an unexpected appearance before His final coming?

Joshua Ben-Yosef attracts a huge following. He was born in Nazareth to parents named Mary and Joseph and speaks more than a dozen languages--fluently and without accent. His words ripple with wisdom and authority. And the crowds that follow him are enthralled as he heals the sick, gives sight to the blind,
Published January 17th 2005 by Thomas Nelson (first published October 14th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about More Than a Skeleton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Than a Skeleton

Jun 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say the first part of this book, was a 2 star, however, towards the end, the story redeemed itself. A bible scholar with a Lutheran background was the main character. It brought current events into the story with actual people, which I think was the authors purpose to make the story seem real. However, I was not fond of how for example "The Left Behind Series" was protrayed. Not that I think the Left Behind Series is doctrinally correct, however, I felt like it was a snub of some kind. ...more
Vera VB
In Israël staat een jonge gast met twaalf volgelingen op. Hij kan het goed uitleggen, heeft inderdaad een schare van twaalf volgelingen, doet wonderen, dan denkt een mens al snel aan de vleesgeworden opstanding of terugkeer van Jezus. Als zijn ouders Mariam en Yozef heten, hij geboren is in Betlehem en opgegroeid in Nazareth, dan kan je er moeilijk naast kijken.
De hele wereld kijkt toe, eerst sceptisch, maar nadien in verwondering.
Iedereen wil kennismaken met deze man.
Bijbelwetenschapper Jona
Ben Chenoweth
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to know how this turned out, given the premise, but that was all that kept me reading. The characters are flat, the conversations are wooden, and most of the descriptions are eminently skimmable. There are a few passages with some good ideas regarding church reformation, but it would have made a better non-fiction article.
Aug 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Dr. Jonathan Weber and his lovely wife Shannon are back in Isreal. Shannon is finishing details related to her last archeological dig and Jonathan is a guest lecturer at the university. Stories of an interesting man named Joshua Ben-Josef begin to surface. He is performing miracles, has 12 followers in his inner circle and his teaching is reminiscent of Jesus. Once Jonathan and Shannon meet Joshua, Shannon quickly believes Joshua's assertions that he is Jesus and God has sent him for an interim ...more
Jessa Allen
Aug 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Heather Palmer
May 30, 2009 marked it as to-read
Jonathan Weber was at the helm of an action-packed archaeological dig in A Skeleton in God's Closet. Now, in More Than a Skeleton, Dr. Weber plays an integral part in the investigation of what is either a convincing, dangerous hoax or the return of Christ.

When Joshua Ben-Yosef, an Israeli from Galilee-born in Nazareth to parents Mary and Joseph-begins assembling twelve followers, attracting crowds, and performing miracles, the world takes notice. Could Dr. Melvin Merton, well-known leader and au
William Dicks
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novel
"More Than a Skeleton" plays with the idea of what if... What if Jesus made an interim return to earth between His first and second comings in order to set things straight. Father God is not happy with how things are going with the church on earth and sends Jesus back to earth to set the church straight. While many are absolutely overjoyed with this interim return, there are those who claim that this newcomer is not Christ. From many angles, this seems exactly like the scribes and Pharisees in t ...more
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone; people who enjoy "What if"
Mr. Maier presents a very intriguing premise. The book follows Jonathan Weber. The setting has multiple references to current culture in the early 2000's, including the Left Behind series (by LaHaye and Jenkins), Pope Benedict, and while cell phones are mentioned, "smartphones" are not.

The plot has multiple references to "A Skeleton in God's Closet", but can be read on its own. The detailing is very thorough, so the reader may feel a bit bogged down in the day to day living of Mr. Weber before
Mar 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
Disappointed! I did not finish it. I enjoyed his first book, A Skeleton in God's Closet, and was looking forward to others in the series. However in the beginning of this book, the main character Jon, launches into a diatribe which ridicules those who are interested in End Times Prophecy, or believe in the literal return of Christ, the Rapture and the Tribulation or any combination thereof. He could have approached the subject differently, for example pointing out that there are different views ...more
Mark Matzke
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
The only thing preventing this from being a five-star rating was the unfortunate "monologuing villain" syndrome (lampooned in "The Incredibles" movie). Also, after being a genuine page-turner, it wraps up a little too quickly; it would've been interesting to explore the faith consequences of those who had been duped by Joshua, but instead, everyone seems to "get over it" awfully quickly. Those quibbles aside, it is neat to read a thriller written from an LCMS perspective, which at the same time ...more
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story and the previous one. It was a fun journey to imagine where I would stand if these events actually happened. There were a few places that were so predictable that I got annoyed that it took so many pages to unfold. Overall, the lead character was likable and interesting.
John Boettcher
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had the pleasure of attending several of Dr. Maier's classes while I was at school at Western Michigan University and so when I found out that he had written some books, obviously I went out and got them, read them, and had them signed. Best fiction writer I ever had for a professor, that is for sure!
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Another offering in the series -- same thing as last time. As I found with A Skeleton in God's Closet, the premise piques my interest and keeps me reading but the dialogue is trite and cheesy, often distractingly so. With smarter writing this series could really be something. As it stands, it's a fun read for the most part while asking some provocative questions.
May 18, 2010 rated it liked it
This book asks the question, "What would happen if someone came and said they were Jesus Christ returned to earth." Dr. Jon Weber must decide if this is true or is he is a fake-his wife believes in the man's authenticity, and she and her husband find themselves estranged over Jon's doubt. Everything points to Jesus, the apostles, the cures, the miracles, but are they really?
Rich Brown
After reading the first book in this series, my expectations were very high for this book. Sadly, I was disappointed. The story seemed to drag on to the point where I finally started skimming through it just to get to the end - I hate to just drop a book. Without giving anything away, I'll just say that I get the "who" and "why" but the "how" is a little far-fetched.
Aug 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: religious
I definitely recommend that you read A Skeleton in God's Closet first. The books have basically the same structure, and both are thought-provoking, yet easy reads. I found this a bit less convincing than the original but its worthwhile just to think about how you would react if something like this actually happened.
Sep 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
I tried to finish this book but ended up skimming the last 50 pages. It was boring and I never got caught up in it. The author's explanations for the miracles are ridiculous. Just didn't work for me....
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mostly anyone
Recommended to Susan by: Mom
Another great story from Paul Maier. Edge of your seat theological/archaeological thriller--believe it or not ;) What would happen if Jesus came back, staying ever so quiet up to the age of 30, of course? Could it be? I won't tell...
Sheri Girgenti
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not as good as the first in the series. An easy summer read, but this time the cheesiness of the writing style kind of bugged me. Also, it was quite predictable. And kind of heavy on slams of The Left Behind series.
Frans Karlsson
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked the way Maier writes and draws you in. It was an interesting topic to write about, Jesus returns, and i think he manages to do it in a good way. I liked the fact that inbetween the storytelling he is asking hard theological questions and does it in a way that is easy to understand.
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great read read this one was!!!
Apr 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
Maier is obviously NOT a dispensationalist, of course I didn't really expect him to be.
Terry Roemer
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read the books in order.
Sarah "Mir"
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Amazingly well-thought plot. Characters are believable and well done. I'm not generally a fan of religious fiction, but I do like this.
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The second in Paul Maier's hat trick. If you like a mystery with a theological connection, you'll probably love Paul Maier's novels. Nicely done sir ... again! Recommended!
Feb 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one better than "A Skeleton in God's Closet." it really made me stop and think and question how I would react in that situation. Would I believe or would I be a 'Doubting Thomas'?
Jan 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
goofy writing, goofy plotline.
Gerald Curtis
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best Biblical themed books I’ve read.

It is about something that could happen in our time and I thought it was totally believable.

I want more of this author!
Janet Valonis
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book really got me thinking. I enjoyed it very much. It does catch you interest much like the Left Behind Series.
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
One of the best books I have ever read in my entire life!!!!!!
  • The Secret of the Forgotten Cave (Nancy Drew, #134)
  • The Messengers: Discovered
  • Hammer of God
  • Complete Scoundrel (Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5 Fantasy)
  • Redwall Friend and Foe: The Guide to Redwall's Heroes and Villains
  • The Warning: The Story Of A Reluctant Prophet Chosen By God
  • How to Find Flower Fairies Pop-Up
  • Pokemon Black Version & Pokemon White Version Volume 1: The Official Pokemon Strategy Guide
  • Warhammer 40,000 Rulebook
  • The Secret of the Ruby Ring
  • Leaving a Trace: On Keeping a Journal
  • Sword and Fist: A Guidebook to Fighters and Monks (Dungeons & Dragons Accessory)
  • Wounded Healer (Homeland Heroes #1)
  • Bobbi Brown Beauty
  • Bo's Café
  • Book of Vile Darkness: Dungeons & Dragons Accessory
  • Deities and Demigods
  • The Faerie Door
Paul L. Maier, born May 31, 1930, was the Russell H. Seibert Professor of Ancient History at Western Michigan University. Maier retired in the Spring 2011. He retains the title of professor emeritus in the Department of History at Western Michigan University. He is also a historical novelist, and serves as Second Vice President of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod.

Maier is the son of Walter A.
More about Paul L. Maier...

Jonathan Weber (3 books)
  • A Skeleton in God's Closet (Jonathan Weber #1)
  • The Constantine Codex (Jonathan Weber #3)

Fiction Deals

• Finding Rebecca
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Baker's Daughter
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Fountain Overflows (The Saga of the Century Book 1)
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99