Start by marking “The Time Bender (Lafayette O'Leary Series Book 1)” as Want to Read:
The Time Bender (Lafayette O'Leary Series Book 1)

The Time Bender

(Lafayette O'Leary #1)

(Feb 1966, Keith Laumer, publ. Berkley Medallion, #F1185, $0.50, 160pp, pb) Cover: Richard Powers
Published February 1966 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Time Bender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Time Bender

Start your review of The Time Bender (Lafayette O'Leary Series Book 1)
Jim
More of a 2.5 star read. Kind of a whacky humor fantasy, but there is just too much convenience which breaks the few rules he vaguely references at times. There are a few more in this series, but I won't be reading any more.
Al "Tank"
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lafayette O'Leary is a draftsman living a boring life -- until he's catapulted (well, falls) into a fantastic world that is a mix of Medieval weapons and technology with touches of modern amenities, such as electric lights and coffee. Oh, and there's a beautiful princess too.

Sound like fun? Well, add Keith Laumer's sardonic writing style and you have a story that can't fail to be entertaining. O'Leary is more than he thought he was and stumbles from one encounter to another thinking he's only
Jim Razinha
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I'm pretty late to the Laumer party. I finally got around to starting Retief and then this shot across my bow. How to describe? Wild. Chaotic. Imaginative - especially for 1966 (fantasy books were a little limited back then...) Seems I'll be splitting my diversionary fiction between the two for a while. I did wonder at the title...unrelated to the book, as it were, but regardless, this was still uh, rollicking, fun.
Dantegideon
May 23, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I usually like Keith Laumer, but I thought this was awful. Weak slapstick, with an annoying idiot having ridiculous things happening to him one after another, bleating on the whole time about how he can’t believe it. Wacky and zany are the words that spring to mind, unfortunately. It’s like an episode of Scooby Doo, and not a good one.
Gail Morris
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Retief a few years ago and did not think to go looking for more of Keith's work... a big mistake, because his other work is just as adventurous. A very great ride of a read.
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
review of
Keith Laumer's The Time Bender
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - June 26, 2013

I'm starting off writing this review w/ listening to the music of Nicolas Flagellon on Serenus Recorded Editions. He's not a favorite composer but I like these obscure academic classical labels. Uh.. where was I? Oh, yeah, Keith Laumer, my new temporary favorite SF writer - a shordurpersav in SubG lingo. Of the previous 3 bks I read by Laumer, 2 were time travel stories & one was a parallel universe travel
Valerie
This is the first Lafayette o'Leary book.

Lafayette o'Leary is something of a rogue, truth be known. He protests that he's a victim of misunderstandings...and sometimes he is. But he sets up the conditions for the misunderstandings.

At the beginning, he's also something of a lush. It's perhaps understandable that he drinks to avoid the tedium of his original life. But the fact that, having escaped to Artesia, his first plan is to go to a tavern and get roaring drunk indicates that he can't blame
LemmiSchmoeker
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Da dieses Buch in das von mir sehr gern gelesene Genre der fein humorigen Parallelweltabenteuer fällt, fand ich es ausgesprochen kurzweilig.

Bestimmte Klischees ermüden auf Dauer, da der Leser sie nach der fünften Wiederholung längst durchschaut hat, aber Laumer schafft es meist, schnell mit einem neuen Handlungsfaden abzulenken, bevor das besonders auffallen kann. Natürlich ist die Geschichte nicht besonders tiefgreifend, aber doch überraschend komplex in ihrer Verquirlung der einzelnen Figuren.
Woodge
Dec 08, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older, semi-retarded people; Republicans
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
The first time I read this was 27 years ago (I went through a dozen Keith Laumer titles back then). Feeling nostalgic again. This one is the first Lafayette O'Leary adventure (there are four). Lafayette is an aimless guy who suddenly finds himself transported to a quasi-medieval land called Artesia. In no time he gets himself in a sticky situation where he's framed for the abduction of a princess and trapped in a promise to slay the dragon controlled by a giant named Lod. Also, the court ...more
Chris
Pleasant way to spend some time reading. I haven't read any other Laumer books that I know of, so not much to compare it with. I read this because a friend talked about it. This seems like a good way to start a universe-hopping series.
Lyssa
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, scifi
If this were a children's book, it would probably be pretty fantastic. As a work of science fiction (or fantasy for that matter), it disappoints. Everything from the characters, to the plot, even the writing is juvenile. If you haven't read it as a child, you probably won't enjoy it.
John
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
1983 grade B-

series book OL1
Mike
Oct 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun time travel/fantasy adventure book
Marc
rated it did not like it
Oct 14, 2019

• Slow Engines of Time
  • The Judas Valley
  • Equation of Doom
  • The Chapter Ends
  • Medusa Uploaded (The Medusa Cycle, #1)
  • The White Plague
  • Hellhounds of the Cosmos
  • Salvage in Space
  • A Spaceship Named McGuire
  • Re: Colonised Planet 5, Shikasta
  • Rogue Dragon
  • The People of the Wind
  • The King in Yellow
  • Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1)
  • The Silver Eggheads
  • Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said
  • Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1)
  • The Long Tomorrow
John Keith Laumer was an American science fiction author. Prior to becoming a full-time writer, he was an officer in the U.S. Air Force and a U.S. diplomat. His brother March Laumer was also a writer, known for his adult reinterpretations of the Land of Oz (also mentioned in Keith's The Other Side of Time).

Keith Laumer (aka J.K Laumer, J. Keith Laumer) is best known for his Bolo stories and his

Lafayette O'Leary (4 books)
  • The World Shuffler
  • The Shape Changer (Lafayette O'Leary Series Book 3)
  • The Galaxy Builder