Start by marking “The Sweetest Thing” as Want to Read:
The Sweetest Thing

The Sweetest Thing

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  923 Ratings  ·  207 Reviews
In the world of Sheridan Wells, life is perfect when she’s decorating a cake. Unfortunately, everything else is a complete mess: her mom ran off years ago, her dad is more interested in his restaurant, and the idea of a boyfriend is laughable.

But Sheridan is convinced finding her mom will solve all her problems—only her dad’s about to get a cooking show in New York, which
Published May 10th 2011 by EgmontUSA (first published January 1st 2011)

Dija
My one-star rating is only for the first 100 pages of the book.

Cakes are Sheridan's life. They're all she thinks about, all she fantasizes about, all she decorates. That should make for a pretty sweet story, right? I imagine it would, if only Sheridan were half as sweet.

The 102 pages of this I managed to read are dedicated solely to Sheridan and her pity party. Her mom left when she was seven and ever since, she's held onto the hope that she'll come back and her family will be whole again. Whic
Isamlq
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
2.5/5

The Sweetest Thing... what I enjoyed most about it is how EVERYONE called her out on her being immature and bratty because she was both of those things and more. About to turn to sixteen, she could not seem to let go of her past, of her mother who'd left, and neither could she imagine being anywhere but where she was. Almost sixteen, she was very used to the way things were so when the possibility of change came in... she behaved like a brat.

Then there's her indecision to contend with... in
Hannah
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I just couldn't like Sheridan. She was just so terrible to everyone. She was also quite stubborn too. No matter how many times they told her not to do something she wouldn't listen. Quite frankly it got annoying. I liked the writing so I would try this author again. I just hope the main character will be more likable.
Joy (joyous reads)
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, net-galley
Sheridan’s life is spiraling out control. Actually, her life has been on a spin cycle since her mother left them years ago. Nowadays, her father only cares about his restaurant and becoming a television chef celebrity. But that’s okay. As soon as she finds her runaway mother, life will go back to normal and she won’t have to move to New York where her father could finally host his cooking show – or so she thinks.

Sheridan is a trying character to read. Often times, I found myself angry because o
Savannah (Books With Bite)
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
When I picked up this book, I was expecting a lovey, dovey fluff book. One where I can relax and not get all my emotions jumbled. Well, I can say that I was wrong about this book. Really wrong! But, I liked it. It did what great writing is supposed to do. It caught me in it stickiness of cake frosting and held me down.

The plot line of this book is good. One thing I enjoyed is watching the characters grow in the plot line. The plot pacing is also amazing. As the reader, you are thrown into lies,
Kristy
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
have you ever ate a huge Jawbreaker and at first it's sweet and yummy and all things tasty, but then you get past that first couple of layers and it starts to just taste nasty. To the point there is almost no way you can stand to eat the whole thing..... well, friends that is kinda how I feel about this book....only my enjoyment with it didn't last as long as my licking relationship with my jawbreaker....

Sheridan, aka Cake girl isn't very popular, doesn't know that many people but yet her Dad is
Agatha
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Sweetest Thing turned out to be not so sweet at all. I really thought that it was a cute story. And maybe it was meant to be a fun story, but the charm was lost on me.

See, one of my pet peeves when it comes to reading is whiny main characters. This girl is so whiny! I can't stand being in her head. Everything is always about her and her pity party. For a 15 year old she definitely acts like an 8. I'm 15 myself, but I don't act like a spoiled brat. Cripes.

The main has been through a lot and
Jen
40 pages in and I cannot read anymore. I cannot connect with such a brat of a MC :-/

Next!
Lauren
Oct 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalleybooks
The Sweetest Thing by Cristina Mandelski has been on my to be read list for a while now, because not only was the cover and title simply adorable, but the premise sounded amazing as well as Sarah Dessen like- which is ALWAYS a big win in my book. Luckily, I recently had the chance to read it, and even though it contained a few slight flaws, I found it to be just as sweet and endearing as it appeared!

The Sweetest Thing introduces the character of Sheridan Wells aka "Cake Girl." Sheridan has alway
Mad Scientist
Jan 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 2011, arc
Rating 2.75

Concoction of a Review:
I picked up this book not knowing what to expect in the least. Ok, the wonderful cover and first lines gives a huge part of the book away. Sheridan is a young awkward 15 year old known as Cake Girl, much to the obvious but she loves to decorate elaborate cakes. The cakes you can only dream up or see in articles. The premise was very intriguing…

Sheridan, blundering through adolescents and her trifling selfish decisions that she made throughout the story made it a
Gecky Boz
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Sappy Sweet

* I read this ARC via Star Book Tours.
* Book will be released on May 10. 2011

This book gets 2 gnomes and a gnome hat out of 5 gnomes for this awesome cover and a story that was good but just went on much longer then it needed to.

I liked the whole premise of a girl who loves to put cakes together. Anyone who watches all the cake decorating show out there will probably be intrigued by this story.

Throughout much of the book up to about the mid 200 page range I just wanted to slap some se
Alex
At First Sight: Sheridan's life turned upside down the day her mother didn't show up to pick her up from elementary school. Now, at 16, she spends her days working at her family's bakery, making beautiful cakes and trying to hang on until her mother returns; even if it has been two years since she last heard of her.

Meanwhile, Sheridan's father Donovan is busy building himself as a brand and it seems like he has been successful, as he has been offered a TV cooking show. The only catch? it means h
Rachael
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Sheridan Wells’ life revolves around cake. She loves decorating cakes. It’s the one thing that she is truly passionate about and what calms her down in times of stress. But unfortunately, there are other things in life aside from cake, like the fact that her mother left years ago, her father’s obsession with getting a cooking show, and her glaring lack of boyfriend. So Sheridan does what any girl would do in her situation—she comes up with a plan. Basically, she’s going to find her mom, convince ...more

Despite the fact that it took me almost two weeks to finish this book, I absolutely adored it. Just as the inside cover promised, I was a good book for someone who loves Sarah Dessen. We can now put Christina up on the list with Sarah, Susane Colasanti, Elizabeth Scott, and all our other great contemporary romance authors.
I loved the growth of the characters, of how Sheridan grew into her own and was finally able to come out of her mother's shadow.
The book
Novel
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Mandi Kaye Ottaway
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archive...

I was completely sucked into this one from the first page. I love to cook, and while I pretty much suck at baking I can truly appreciate the talent it takes to be a cake decorator. Reading about people who do the things I love to do is always a plus.

Unfortunately, things didn't go quite as I'd hoped.

The story was great - heart-wrenching in all of the right places. The writing was flawless, from a technical standpoint. But Sheridan's voice reall
Kristi
Nov 16, 2010 rated it liked it
The Sweetest Thing was as sweet and cute as the cover depicts!

Note to readers: Don’t read on an empty stomach!

This story was really fun to read. I picked it up because I wanted something a little lighter than what I’d been reading. I wanted something cute and quick! And that is exactly what I got with The Sweetest Thing!

Sheridan did drive me a little crazy. Throughout most of the novel she attains a unrealistically high hopes for a mother that has been absent from her life for as long as she can
oliviasbooks
*** 2.5 stars, beware of slight spoilers ***
In contrast to other equally unenthused readers I did not mind the heroine's character or her obsession with locating her absent mother and her unfazed belief in the creditability of the yearly sent promises of returns/visits and souvenirs of various places that populated the gushy birthday cards, which stopped coming in after she turned fourteen. The human mind is a very flexible and powerful thing. Everybody copes with loss and desaster in his or he
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Actually a 2.5 out of 5. I wish I could rate this higher but unfortunately...

I'm sad to announce that I didn't really enjoy this novel nearly as much as I had anticipated. Sheridan Wells is a 16 year-old cake decorating savant, with a mysteriously missing mother, and a charming best friend that helps her to search for her mother. This is a novel that will make you hungry; either the frequent descriptions of Sheridan's fondant creations or her father's restaurant repertoire will get you, one way
Kathy
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Another sweet story. This was a cute contemporary teenage read. Sheridan is known as "Cake Girl" because she makes beautiful cakes for her grandmother's bakery. A job offer for her dad, as the host of a new cooking show, means a move to New York and being forced to give up her cake making. Sheridan's mother abandoned her when she was a child and the only contact Sheridan has had is the birthday cards her mother sends each year. Sheridan is convinced that all her problems will be solved if she ca ...more
Amy
Nov 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Who knew such a sweet cover was hiding a story of substance? I admit it--I expected something yummy but light--maybe cotton candy. But Mandelski's story is about more than a girl who loves to make cakes (amazingly well described, by the way!)--it's about family. It's about a girl who misses her mother, and dreams of putting her world back the way it was, without realizing that life is changing and so is she. Add to that a wonderful romance and you get a great read for teens and tweens --one that ...more
Angel / YA rules!/
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, food-delight
imagine having a famous chef for a dad? but, what i really envy about her is that her dad has a restaurant and her grandmother owns a bakery. at a young age, she's already a famous baker herself in her small town. that's perfect, right?

but, the story is not just about that. Sheridan is still hanging on to the notion that her mom, who left her when she was a child, will still come back. what person longing for her mom won't keep hoping, right?

all in all, it's an ok book. nothing really spectacula
Lori
May 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
I won this book from a book blog giveaway. I really liked this book. I liked Sheridan, even though I wanted to shake her through most of the book. Loved her best guy friend Jack, and how cool that her best friends name is Lori? :o) This book is a great example of overlooking the wonderful that is right in front of us by focusing on the what-ifs.
Aleeeeeza
Oh man, the MC in this book drove me crazy with her cluelessness! And the plot? Really freaking predictable.

But I still kind of liked the ending, and all the cake stuff (yum!) in the book, so I'm giving it three stars. :)
Shannon
Oct 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just loved this story! So many levels and so emotional! Really great story telling and characters!!!
Nomes
Oct 27, 2011 added it
Abandoned at 80 pages. The main character, Sheridan, is a tad too juvenile for my reading tastes.
Jen
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This story had me at "cake". Why? Well, my nickname isn't "Cupcakegirly" for nuthin'! I've been "all about cake & cupcakes" since I can remember and baking and decorating 'lil cakes 'o love is what I do when I'm not reading. (If I could live in a bakery with books I would be in Heaven!)

This really is a sweet read. (Let that sink in for a second) Sheridan Wells is a girl with passion. A passion for the town she lives in, the cakes she creates and a passion for finding the mother who walked ou
Jen Rothmeyer
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
After just a few pages into the book, I was already snorting out loud. That’s a good sign. Christina Mandelski has given lead character Sheridan of The Sweetest Thing the greatest sense of teenaged humor and that’s something I can really get behind. When talking about how the people of his time honored Jesus and then turned around and crucified him, she summarizes, “The lesson here: even Jesus couldn’t count on people. How sad is that?” How sad is that indeed!

That led into the story of Sheridan’
Anita
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
GENRE: Young Adult – Fiction, Romance
FORM: eBook, NetGalley, ARC

While I was granted permission to read this book by a NetGalley
affiliate publisher, Egmont USA, I have received no compensation for
this review other than the joy of reading!

SYNOPSIS: Sheridan has a simple, mostly happy life, made up of her Father, chef of the local restaurant Sheridan & Irving’s; her Grandmother who is also the owner of the bakery where Sheridan spends most of her time making cakes for all of the city’s event
Wendy
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Wendy by: Goodreads/First Reads
One of the best young adult contemporary novels I've read in 2015 is "The Sweetest Thing" which I won a copy of through Goodreads Giveaways. It blends the pain of loss, romance and cake decorating into a story that`s emotionally-charged from beginning to end.

It begins in the town of St. Mary's where fifteen year old Sheridan Wells is a talented artist who`s inundated with cake decorating orders at Sweetie's Bake Shop , her grandmother's bakery located in the triangle that includes her home and
  • Flyaway
  • Small Town Sinners
  • My Life, the Theater, and Other Tragedies
  • My Life Undecided
4200652
When I was a kid, I loved to read and write, and I loved going to the library. It was in the children's departments of the libraries I frequented that my dream of becoming a writer took hold. I'd find the place on the shelf where my name would fall, put my finger in that spot and say "that's where it'll go."

After quite a few detours, my dream of having a book on that library shelf is finally comi
More about Christina Mandelski...