Start by marking “The Day the Cow Sneezed” as Want to Read:
The Day the Cow Sneezed

The Day the Cow Sneezed

"I bet your cow never sneezed a hole in the schoolhouse wall. Our cow did!" Thus begins is one of the funniest, fastest-paced, tallest-tale stories ever told! The fun mounts as absurdity cascades on absurdity, until at the very end one small boy learns that a "teeny-weeny error can grow into a whopping big mistake almost before you can say Ka-Chow!"

With brilliantly colored
Published October 12th 2010 by Enchanted Lion Books (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about The Day the Cow Sneezed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day the Cow Sneezed

Start your review of The Day the Cow Sneezed
Christie Angleton
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
I loved the art but the text was pretty underwhelming.
Marcie
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reminded me so much of Too Think That I saw it on Mulberry Street, without the rhyme. I had someone ask for it prior to 2010 and am so glad it has been reissued. I can see having kids illustrate it or even act it out. Rediculous fun!
Ward Jenkins
Aug 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Published in 1957, Jim Flora's second children's book is a visual feast of crazy happenings, all thanks to a boy who leaves his cow standing in the river while taking a drink one day. The cow catches a cold and sneezes, setting off a domino effect that wrecks havoc in a small town. The imagery is amazing and so inspiring. I've actually had the chance to connect with Flora's biographer, Irwin Chusid, and he provided me with scans of original layout spreads, featured on my blog. You can check them ...more
Eneida
Nov 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
The moral is: a "little teeny-weeny error can grow into a whopping big mistake almost before you can say KA-CHOW!". The text is a bit long for an all-age Story Time. If you have little ones, it won't work. For preschoolers and up, however, I think it will work beautifully. It's fun and builds up. The illustrations are not my favorite for Children books, since is basically black & white or three-colored. It's beautiful, and probably it will be better appreciated by adults who enjoy art. Still, it ...more
Hannah Grosse
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book, and one which is concluded with a lesson. Just when you think that no more damage could be done, something else happens, which is at least twice as bad as what came before. The whole thing is one big Rube Goldberg machine, with one thing having to go exactly one way in order to continue the cycle. It's truly a fun read!
Chad VanDosen
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book is fast-paced and full of humor. Time and time again the mob of animals/people/machines gets bigger and bigger and it seems like it just won't end. Children will find humor in this book, and I would have it in my classroom. I really like all the craziness that happens. It opens up an imaginative world full of things that you never thought could happen.
Hannah
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-lit
James Flora brings to life what the domino effect means. This story shows us how one mistake can turn into a whole bunch of mistakes. I recommend this book for a good laugh, great illustrations, and a lesson on doing the work you are supposed to do correctly so there aren't any horse consequences.
Little Miss and the Legomeister
A cow with a cold sets off a chain reaction that causes exponential havoc. The illustrations were interesting, some pages were in color, others in black and white. The story was a wild and imaginative. It did feel a bit long by the time we were finished.
Kinsey Barlow
Dec 19, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think it was really long and boring.
Allison
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
This one was wordy. Really wordy. Jordan checked out a couple of times. From a teacher standpoint, though, this could be used to help teach onomatopoeia.
Michael Fitzgerald
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Start with The Red Carpet and go from there. This takes that idea to the next level of hilarity. ...more
Robin
Jun 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Hyperbole and humor reminiscent of Sid Fleischman's McBroom series.
sacha kenton
Apr 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ok this was my best when i was a toddler so i wouldn't take it too seriously
Ina
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-reads
One little mistake turns a town upside down. Originally published in 1957, this is a zany tale, with three color illustrations and rather dense text.
Jack Silbert
Oct 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
You can read my review here! ...more
PWRL
Aug 27, 2014
Pamela Zajac
Mar 30, 2018
Corina
rated it did not like it
Aug 31, 2013
Estella Tse
May 21, 2015
Kate
Jul 11, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Tiger Who Would Be King
  • Whizz Pop, Granny Stop!
  • Time for Bed, Miyuki
  • Maybe Tomorrow?
  • Brazen: Rebel Ladies Who Rocked the World (Les Culottées, #1-2)
  • Roller Girl
  • The Ugly Vegetables
  • March: Book One (March, #1)
  • F is for Fiesta
  • You?
  • A Child of Books
  • Are We There Yet?
  • My Hair is a Garden
  • The Case of the Forked Road (Bad Machinery, #7)
  • Who Is AC?
  • This One Summer
  • New Kid (New Kid, #1)
  • Insects are My Life
James (Jim) Flora is best-known for his wild jazz and classical album covers for Columbia Records (late 1940s) and RCA Victor (1950s). He authored and illustrated 17 popular children’s books and flourished for decades as a busy magazine illustrator. Few realize, however, that Flora was also a prolific fine artist with a devilish sense of humor and a flair for juxtaposing playfulness, absurdity and ...more