Start by marking “Highland Promise” as Want to Read:
Highland Promise

Highland Promise

(Murray Family #3)

New York Times bestselling author Hannah Howell revisits the 15th century Scottish Highlands, where an embattled knight meets his fate in a young beauty fleeing for her life. . .

Mass Market Paperback, 321 pages
Published March 1st 2011 by Zebra (first published July 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Highland Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Highland Promise

Candace
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bethia and Eric

Bethia Drummond is escaping Dunncraig keep with her infant nephew, James. She is spiriting him away to her parents's keep. While taking a break and tending to James, they are set upon by thieves. Eric Murray rides across the scene and offers his aid. The thieves dispatched, Bethia sees her only recourse to getting home safely with her nephew is to enlist Eric's help. They set off for Bethia's home, Dunnbea, together.

William Drummond has spent too much time and ene
Lisa
This was a decent book, not great, but not bad either. The hero and heroine were both likeable characters and there was a decent amount of action to drive the plot, but it all felt a bit too superficial. Like we didn’t really get into the psyches of the two MCs. The book also got a bit tedious and repetitious towards the end and the resolution to one of the threats was pretty anticlimactic.

(view spoiler) ...more
Shauni
Sep 29, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read all of Ms Howell's books Back to Back to Back.. while this is a fun series I seriously do not recommend anyone doing so. The plots tend to be repetitious and run together. If you want to enjoy the Murray Clan, take your time.. there is much to enjoy just one at a time.
Tina
May 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Bethia Drummond is taking her dead sister’s baby and running from her kinfolk. They are evil and bent on power and destruction, and she knows she has to save her sister’s baby from growing up in that atmosphere. In the woods, she is about to be robbed when she meets Eric Murray, who saves her and the babe from the robbers. As he delivers them to safety, he also steals her heart. Bethia finds that Eric is trying to find his people, who are enemies of the clan Bethia is from. How can she be with a ...more
Paraphrodite
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2018
4 stars.

This is the story of the youngest Murray brothers, Eric, who is actually not a blood sibling (we learned of this in the first book Highland Destiny).

After years of trying to petition his King for his rightful inheritance, Eric decided to make a more personal approach to his lands. On the way, he foiled a murder attempt of our heroine Bethia and her nephew and together, they set upon a journey to recover his inheritance and revenge her sister's murder.

There are so many enemies for bo
Cruth
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
"Noisy, hairy things though men be, they can be verra fine to curl up with." loc.3040

Author: Hannah Howell
First published: 1999
Length: 4582 locations
Setting: Scotland, 1444. Scottish Highlands and Scottish Court.
Sex: frequent but not always explicit. She is pregnant for part of the story.
Heroine: Ignored and criticised by her parents since birth, Bethia struggles with the toll emotional abuse has taken on her.
Series: Book 3 of the Howell's Highland series. Picks up 7 years after Book 2.

An easy to read Medieval which hits all t/>:/>:/>:/>:/>:/>First/>:"Noisy,
Taria Reed
I liked the story but the whole "I love him/her but I can't tell them because I don't' want to possibly be rejected even though he/she has boinked me into oblivion and acts as if they care" scenarios. I know that's the general personal conflict between the men and women in this highland historicals so Before I get too fed up I'm going to take a break and find me a few vampires to cleanse my reading pallet.

Story - 3
Narrator - 3
Brenna Lincoln
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
!!Spoilers!!

Somewhat refreshing. I always start romance novels with expectations based on all the novels read so far...not just by the current author, but by all of them. They tend to stick with predictable characters and plot lines and Hannah Howell surprised me a bit by first having her heroine attempting to keep herself and her nephew alive while being hunted. Yes, she was a damsel in distress but that didn't bother me much in this particular case.

Then, the hero and heroine were forced to m
Michelle Tempted By Books
These books keep getting better.
LInda L
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love Hannah Howell's books -- I cannae help mysel'. This one had moments when I wanted to give someone a good smack, but it was still kind of enthralling. A really really BAD bad guy, and some pretty bad girls -- all trying to hurt or kill Bethia, who has not had an easy life. And then there is Eric, who is beautiful and trying to get a castle which is really his. There's a lot more to it, and the old theme of "does she/he really love me" gets pretty old, but I still enjoyed it. Keep it u ...more
Debra
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this story you learn about Eric and his adventures at getting his family lands from an uncle who took it from him when he was a child. Bethia is running from a man who wants her nephew dead. When he takes on a vow to protect her and the child he did not know that it would end in marriage. But he is enthralled with her. And her ability to turn a blind eye of her parents hate of her. Will they ever figure that the feelings are more than passion. Cant wait to read more of those in this series. I ...more
Donna Taylor
Oct 31, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Please no more Angela Dawe. I really wanted to like this book, but man, that voice, I just couldn't take it. I made it to chapter 15 but it took several tries. then I just couldn't listen to that voice anymore.
Erin
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was fine, but slow. And they all kept doing the same things and seemed surprised when the same thing kept happening. Yes, that was vague, but I was trying to avoid spoilers in case someone actually reads this.
TinaMarie
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good humor
Beverly
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
Audible books are a wonderful thing. This is a very entertaining book.
Heidi
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great storyline

Great storyline and characters. It was a little too wordy, with a lot of inner dialogue. Definitely will continue to read this series.
Meranda Semeniuk-Wappel
The intrigue! The love! The danger! The hypocrisy! Absolutely loved it!
Kbee
Audible Romance Package

AUDIOBOOK: Listened 30th & 31 January 2018
9hrs 43min.

Narrator: Angela Dawe is still reading to fast!
Do like these boys/warriors!
Laurla2
"i dinnae say that just to sooth your poor wee pride."
"a mon's pride isnae a poor wee thing, lass."

-this book irritated me because not once, not twice, but THREE times the idiot girl left the safety of the castle to go out frolicking, even KNOWING the man who was trying to kill her was out there. and guess what, THREE times the man was there! and tried to kill her each time. i mean truly, how stupid do you have to be.
-and also, the newly wed and supposedly besotted husband has
April
HIGHLAND PROMISE(THE MURRAYS) by Hannah Howell is an exciting historical romance set in 1444 Scotland.This is the third and final installment in the "Highland Series" but can be read as a stand alone. "Highland Destiny and Highland Honor" are the other two in this series. This is the first I have read of this series but would have to say it was a great read.It is the tale of Sir Eric and Berthia.It is an adventurous tale of love,honor,betrayal,danger,sweet sensuality,finding a family to love you ...more
Dawn

This is actually the third book in the trilogy Highland DestinyWhen Bethia has figured out that her sister and husband have been murdered at the hand of their laird. So she escapes one night with her young nephew in tow to go home to safety. On her way she meets Eric who feels the need to protect this interesting young woman and her nephew. Quite soon Eric and Bethia learn they have quite the attraction to each other.

This is actually the third book in the trilogy
Highland DestinyHighland Honorwhich I did not know at the time when I picked it up. It truly does stand alone but of course now I need to go back and learn about the other brides! What I really loved about this book is the lack of perfection, our hero is on the short side our heroine is small without much of a bussom and eyes that are a different color. It was also refreshing to see a hero who was still trying to prove himself (to him the rest of the world like him just fine) and he has a past with some mistakes
Barbara
Only available on hoopla audio. Narrator Angela Dawe.
Margaret
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it

Eric Murray was the youngest of his brothers, determined to gain his rightful inheritance after thirteen years of bitter dispute with his father's family. Starting out alone to confront his tight-fisted kinsmen, he encountered a chestnut-haired beauty set upon by thieves. When she begged for Eric's protection for herself and her infant nephew, Eric promised to deliver them to safety. Bethia Drummond's only hope for escaping her ruthless kin, who planned to kill her and her orphaned nephew, and c

Staci
Mar 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel starts off better than the previous two in this series but it flounders once the two main characters are married. Sometimes the female protagonist, Bethia, is so naive you want to shake her. It takes her forever to realize the faults with her parents. Also, she is too easily tricked so that there are actually too many times in the book where she could have been killed despite the predictable happy ending of the book. Plus, the reasoning behind her dislike of Eric, the male protagonist ...more
Ari
May 12, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really hate the main female character Bethia! She just pissed me off so much. There were several times in this book I wanted to slap the hell out of Bethia! OMG! She was such a push over and let things slide to easily. Example: Hell no would I let my husbands former lover hang all over him in front of me while maintaining a sweet calm expression. (I would beat the bitch!!!) Ugh!!! Eric was a good guy, I liked him. Hardly no complaints on him. It's just stupid Bethia! I Hate that the dumb bitch ...more
Diana
May 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On his way to reclaim the lands that are rightfully his, Sir Eric Murray comes across Bethia Drummond and her nephew James under attack. Bethia has taken her nephew and is fleeing from the murderous relatives who have already killed her sister and her sister's husband in order to seize their lands for themselves.

Eric and Bethia are a compelling and likable couple, who get along perfectly from the beginning (which is always refreshing). There's a lot of the action storylines, with sev
K
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical romance
Recommended to K by: fan of series/websites
I must admit, I am quickly becoming addicted to this series and the Murray clan. As with the other books, I def enjoyed this book finding it a fun, enjoyable, read that once started I could not put down. One of the things I loved was seeing the growth and maturity of Bethia's character. I'm also liking Howell's description of Scotland and its warriors. I mean, who hasn't dreamed of a handsome knight coming to the rescue. Anywho, I would recommend this book to fans of historical romance and can't ...more
Michelle
How can a man ignore a beauty in distress? While assisting the beautiful Bethia, Eric found himself a woman to love. For the most part I enjoyed this novel. The only real complaint was the character of Bethia. She annoyed me to no end. There were many times I really wanted to slap her. I know some people can be insecure, but it was taken a bit too far with her character. All in all, not a bad read.
Samantha
This is a pretty typical highlander romance. These amount to meaningless trashy reading for me that I love--a good palate cleanser that doesn't require a ton of brain power. The story between Eric & Bethia was sweet, though I tend to get annoyed when the characters are always keeping secrets from each other. I know that's part of the "formula" for this genre, but it's so overdone. I would love honesty--it would be so refreshing.
Kathrynn
Jan 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Readers
This is the first in the Murray books, but the author's website states they are all meant as stand-alones. Actually, there's no point trying to read them in order because she wrote them out of order. But, I do consider this to be BOOK #1 in the Murray family because this is the parents of all the Murrays. They have a neat story and Eric was one of my favorites even if he was...er...vertically challenged.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Highland Hearts
  • Highland Scoundrel (Campbell Trilogy, #3)
  • The Angel and the Highlander (Sinclare Brothers, #3)
  • Desiring the Highlander (The McTiernays, #3)
  • Seducing a Scottish Bride (MacKenzie, #6)
  • Sword of the Highlands (Highlands, #2)
  • The Sinner (The Return of the Highlanders, #2)
  • Highlander Ever After (Nvengaria, #3)
  • Taming the Highland Bride (Devil of the Highlands, #2)
  • The Laird Who Loved Me (MacLean Curse, #5)
  • Highland Hero (Scottish Knights Trilogy, #2)
  • The Irresistible MacRae (The Highland Lords, #3)
  • Return of the Warrior (Brotherhood of the Sword #6)
Hannah Dustin Howell is a best-selling American author of over 40 historical romance novels. Many of her novels are set in medieval Scotland. She also writes under the names Sarah Dustin, Sandra Dustin, and Anna Jennet (see below).

She has also used the following pseudonyms:
Anna Jennet, Sarah Dustin and Sandra Dustin

Murray Family (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Highland Destiny (Murray Family, #1)
  • Highland Honor (Murray Family, #2)
  • Highland Vow (Murray Family, #4)
  • Highland Knight  (Murray Family, #5)
  • Highland Bride (Murray Family, #6 & MacEnroys, #1)
  • Highland Angel (Murray Family, #7)
  • Highland Groom (Murray Family, #8 & MacEnroy, #2)
  • Highland Warrior (Murray Family, #9 & MacEnroy, #3)
  • Highland Conqueror (Murray Family, #10)
  • Highland Champion (Murray Family, #11 & Camerons, #2)