Start by marking “Change the Culture, Change the Game: The Breakthrough Strategy for Energizing Your Organization and Creating Accountability for Results” as Want to Read:

A fully revised and updated installment from the bestselling author of The Oz Principle Series.

Two-time New York Times bestselling authors Roger Connors and Tom Smith show how leaders can achieve record-breaking results by quickly and effectively shaping their organizational culture to capitalize on their greatest asset-their people.

Change the Culture, Change the Game joins their cla/>Change
Published January 4th 2011 by Portfolio (first published December 8th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Change the Culture, Change the Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Change the Culture, Change the Game

Start your review of Change the Culture, Change the Game: The Breakthrough Strategy for Energizing Your Organization and Creating Accountability for Results
Denisita
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
I believed in the message and attempted to read this book, but found it much too complex. I couldn't get into the model or pyramid and unfortunately had to bail early on. I'm an avid reader but prefer an easy, understandable read backed my theory and instructions for practice. Might just be too intellectual for my taste.
Andralynn
Jan 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
Okay, so I didn't technically finish this book, but I can tell you that I didn't need to. It says the exact same thing over and over in every chapter. So if you read the intro and the first couple of chapters, you get all the information you need.
Jenifer
Apr 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book is repetitive and ridiculous. I think the authors should have stopped with The Oz Principle. In addition to feeling like I read the same book that I had already read (The Oz Principle), this book made me feel like I was reading a math book. There were maybe three useful things in it.
Robert Chapman
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, leadership
I read this book as a follow-up to The OZ Principle which to this day I consider one of the best books I have ever read relating to business. You could read this book without first having read The OZ Principle, however, I believe you would get far more out of this book having first done so.

The book is great for the same reasons The OZ Principle is - it's great information, provided in a simple and digestible format which allows the reader to start taking immediate action. Don't be fooled by the above statement,
Rebecca
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Interesting premise but the text is clearly predicated on the authors' previous book so reading this feels like coming into a movie half way through.
Annie
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Alright but very repetitive. Great tips and ideas but not sure of the practical use over time.
Julie Spencer
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has certainly taken me a while to read, it is one that I have dipped in and out of, I read it at my leisure and not so much for pleasure.

I've read so many books of late which discuss the importance of accountability. In my youth this was unheard of and it was a given through training and education that accountability was core to the importance of being and attaining a great occupation in the future.

Accountability encourages good practice, it generates a sense of enthusiasm
Tiffany
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'd describe this book as a whitepaper made into a book when it should've stayed a whitepaper. The premise could be summed up with a view visuals in an infographic format with some case studies to provide application. Instead, it drones on for over 200 pages using algebraic equation-like style to convey current state and desired state as if that makes it more mysterious or impressive (C1 to C2, R1 to R2, B1 to B2, etc.). It felt like this book was written just to sell consulting services versus ...more
Esteban
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really interesting approach, presentedwith vast details and examples.
It'd be nice though to have further examples of difficulties encountered during the process, like bosses resisting the changes or playong against it.
Adam
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Concepts are sound and proven but the presentation drags on and is very repetitive from prior writings.
Shane Young
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Senior management
Good book with good concepts. Due to the nature of the book, I feel that the audience is limited to those that want to change the culture and have the power to.
Tracy108
Aug 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: business
Solid information but very, very dry and also quite basic. Includes a lot of sales talk for the authors’ previous book and consulting.
Tamara Whitters
More complex than needed

The overall writing was not as clear as it could be. The authors needed more examples, stories and implementation plans.
Jay Hennessey
UGGG!!!!

Repetitive, Repetitive, Repetitive — worst of all, I was not a huge fan of the content either.
Tony Vynckier
This book introduces a methodology for changing the way people think and act throughout an organization to make certain they achieve their key results.

The main idea this book puts forward is: Changing the company culture is the only way to improve. Roger Connors and Tom Smith clearly state: Either you manage the culture, or it will manage you!

When attempting to modify the corporate ethos and create a sustainable competitive advantage consider four essential ideas:
Soundview Executive Book Summaries
Change the Culture, Change the Game: The Breakthrough Strategy for Energizing Your Organization and Creating Accountability for Results by Roger Connors and Tom Smith was chosen by Soundview Executive Book Summaries as one of the Top 30 Business Books of 2011.

THE SOUNDVIEW REVIEW:

When it comes to accountability, readers would be hard pressed to find two better authors to discuss the subject than Roger Connors and Tom Smith. This book serves as a natural next-step from the pair’s previous best-sellers The Oz Principle, J/>THE
Ravi Warrier
When I first started reading this book a few months back, I put it down after probably the first 2 or 3 pages. I believe, I misunderstood what Roger Conners and Tom Smith were trying to say. But that was months back.

I picked up the book again two weeks back and went past my mental barrier just to find that I actually agree to most of the things Conners/Smith has to say about helping organizations and teams develop their culture. The authors have shed light on subjects that usually el
Bob Wallner
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read many negative reviews saying Change The Culture kept repeating themselves. I guess we are all to assume that those reviewers had absolutely no problems making huge cultural changes in their workplaces. For the rest of us, the authors do a great job of getting key points through your head.

This book provides a step by step instruction to get from today to tomorrow.

I listened to the audiobook and my one criticism is the constant use of R1/R2, B1/B2, etc. It was diffic
Apr 06, 2016 added it
I listened to this book on audio and then bought it because I wanted to dig into it more. So I have not "officially" read it. It addresses the need to change the experiences employees and leaders have in order to change their beliefs which drive their actions and ultimately the results. It also addresses holding people accountable for their actions and results, and makes this difficult topic palatable. The book has lots of good graphics that step you through the process and make it easy to skim, ...more
Audrey
Jun 19, 2015 rated it liked it
A read for work, this is based on the Partners in Leadership Culture Change Track. The book is wildly similar to the training (making it consistent). There were for sure a few extra nuggets in here that made it worth reading, but as far as the text itself, a lot of the meat of it can get a little bit jargin-y and at times repetitive, and (for better or worse) the the text is filled with anecdotes.
All in all, I buy in to the theory of culture change and the tools presented by the authors an
Ron
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Yes, it is repetitive, but the authors are reinforcing lessons from previous works. It is designed to build upon earlier concepts and to take the learning to a higher level. It's supposed to be repetitive, at least to a degree. Negative reviews are not fully understanding the purpose and scope of this work. Oz provides the foundation; each successive book expands the learning and intended application.
Dug
Sep 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Part 1 could be reduced to one chapter. Part 2 has more meat.
The book is much more valuable if you have the opportunity to take the class given by Partners In Leadership.
The concepts are simple but challenging to implement and maintain. If senior leadership is not on board to drive the change, it will be waste of time.
Lindsy
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting book on the impact of culture on business results. Good stories of companies that achieved results. Since this was work recommended I am very curious to see it in action. Raised a lot of questions for application to work.
Sean Martin
Nov 02, 2015 rated it liked it
My current employer is going through a culture change at the moment. This book was/is to be our manual.

It provides a good framework for culture change. It also assumes that everyone is and extrovert with a lot of suggestions.
Andrew Sebastian
File Under: Accountability 101
Hemlet Kiai
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mylibrary
Inspiring.
Rick
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Got some nuggets from the book but overall found it difficult to keep all of the terms straight. A more stripped down version might be more helpful.
Mark Bergstrom
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good book that relates well to my current job. Probably would have given it a lower score if my job was not related to Cultural enhancements.
Pete
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
The book includes experience and practical application. Novel views on accountability and results focus, which is often overlooked on this subject.
Paul
Jun 13, 2015 added it
Shelves: professional
Skim read - Culture change through accountability, a leadership best practice.

• Beyond Performance: How Great Organizations Build Ultimate Competitive Advantage
  • Coaching for Leadership: The Practice of Leadership Coaching from the World's Greatest Coaches
  • Performance Dashboards: Measuring, Monitoring, and Managing Your Business
  • Finding the Next Steve Jobs: How to Find, Hire, Keep and Nurture Creative Talent
  • Leading Quietly: An Unorthodox Guide to Doing the Right Thing
  • From Values to Action: The Four Principles of Values-Based Leadership
  • The Essential Deming: Leadership Principles from the Father of Quality
  • The Truth about Leadership: The No-Fads, Heart-Of-The-Matter Facts You Need to Know
  • Leadership Can Be Taught: A Bold Approach for a Complex World
  • Leading in a Culture of Change
  • TouchPoints: Creating Powerful Leadership Connections in the Smallest of Moments
  • Open Leadership
  • Unusually Excellent
  • The Heart of Change: Real-Life Stories of How People Change Their Organizations
  • Making Innovation Work: How to Manage It, Measure It, and Profit from It
  • The Flawless Consulting Fieldbook and Companion: A Guide to Understanding Your Expertise
  • The Lean Enterprise: How Corporations Can Innovate Like Startups
  • Lessons from Private Equity Any Company Can Use
“Every organization has a culture, which either works for you or against you—and” 1 likes
“You might be tempted to appoint a “chief culture officer,” but that would just rob the leadership team of one of its most vital responsibilities. Culture does not change in a “one and done” event, nor is it something you can relegate to your Human Resources department. From long years of experience, we know that the leadership team must shoulder the responsibility of shifting culture. Developing the leadership competency to accelerate the change effectively and then sustain the culture over time is the never-ending role of leadership. You can exclude no one. Culture building will and must involve every single leader in your organization.” 0 likes