Jump to ratings and reviews

Such a Pretty Face: Tales of Power and Abundance

Think of all heroes who have washboard abs Think of all heroines who wear Size 3 Junior Petite. Think again! Come join Gene Wolfe, Elizabeth Anne Scarborough, Jane Yolen, Jody Lynn Nye, and Sharon Lee & Steve Miller, who along with nineteen other authors introduce you to some of the funniest, wildest, sexiest, most powerful, and normal (considering these are science fiction, fantasy, and horror stories) fat people on earth and a few other planets. Meet a pirate named Valkyrie and a cardsharp named Fat Moriah. Meet a xeno-fitness instructor and an earth-mage who don't apologize for taking up space. Meet fat cats on a mission and a very different kind of vampire. Meet characters for whom plus-size is about body size and heart. Brought together in this first-of-its-kind collection are stories that raise the set point on adventure and redraw the picture of the hero along the way. This title includes tales of power and abundance that prove, that heroes and heroines come in all sizes.

304 pages, Paperback

First published May 25, 2000

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Lee Martindale

22 books19 followers
Writer, editor, and activist Lee Martindale has been called “a force of nature” and “Hell on Wheels” for very good reasons. She's edited a groundbreaking anthology (SUCH A PRETTY FACE), released a CD of original filk music (THE LADIES OF TRADE TOWN) and an audiochapbook CD (TO STAND AS WITNESS: THREE ARTHURIAN TALES). Her recent works include PREJUDICE BY THE POUND, a collection of essays and editorials from ten years of Rump Parliament Magazine, and stories in TURN THE OTHER CHICK, CATOPOLIS, WITCH WAY TO THE MALL, WARRIOR WISEWOMAN 2, and FANGS FOR THE MAMMARIES. Lee recently celebrated the release of THE LADIES OF TRADE TOWN, an anthology of genre stories on “the world’s oldest profession” from HarpHaven Publishing.

When not slinging fiction, Lee is a Named Bard, Lifetime Active Member of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (where’s she’s currently on the Board of Directors), a fencing member of the SFWA Musketeers, and a member of the SCA.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (4%)
1 star
1 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 6 of 6 reviews
Profile Image for M.C. Hana.
Author 3 books11 followers
October 26, 2012
Full disclosure: I was one of the original contributors to this anthology, under the pen name Marian Crane.

I came back to this book after ten years, and enjoyed it even more the second time around. Some of the stories spoke more to me than others. It gets three stars from me only because I'm not much of a New Weird reader, and some stories seemed to be preaching too much.

Still, I wish that the publisher had survived long enough to offer a second volume of Martindale's size-wise spec fiction. This one was ahead of its time.
Profile Image for Karen.
236 reviews12 followers
April 18, 2010
More good stories than bad. I prefer fluffy fantasy over edgy sci-fi and most of the stories catered to me. The sci-fi was good, as sci-fi goes but it was more laborious for me to read those. Overall, a decent mix of fat acceptance (and dare I say glorifying?) short stories. For those of us who know our real value and are impatiently waiting for the rest of the world to catch on and get up to speed!
Profile Image for Penniphurr.
133 reviews18 followers
March 22, 2010
Not exactly what I thought but still a good weekend chew. I made the mistake of reading it with Animal plants in the background discussing various animals & bugs eating other animals and bugs and the result was nightmares and a headache. However I do highly recommend the one about vampires. After reading it I entertained myself w/ crossing t with the Twilight characters. If anyone else reads it, do let me know what you think the Cullens would become.
Profile Image for Kate.
515 reviews29 followers
July 23, 2010
I was feeling bad about myself and needed a bit of a boost. This collection of plus-size fairy stories was just what I needed. The collection is mixed in quality, but there are a couple of gems, especially the Elizabeth Anne Scarborough story which I loved and wish it was a full length novel!
Profile Image for Marian.
312 reviews10 followers
July 5, 2009
AN anthology of short short fantasy stories with plus size themes. It was interesting, the stories were too short. Just as you had started to get interested, a punchline and too quickly over--
269 reviews8 followers
June 2, 2012
I enjoyed these stories. A lot. At the same time I was just sad that stories with positive images of fat characters are so uncommon that we needed a special anthology of them.
Displaying 1 - 6 of 6 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.