Start by marking “Such a Pretty Face: Tales of Power and Abundance” as Want to Read:
Such a Pretty Face: Tales of Power and Abundance

Such a Pretty Face: Tales of Power and Abundance

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  49 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Think of all heroes who have washboard abs Think of all heroines who wear Size 3 Junior Petite. Think again! Come join Gene Wolfe, Elizabeth Anne Scarborough, Jane Yolen, Jody Lynn Nye, and Sharon Lee & Steve Miller, who along with nineteen other authors introduce you to some of the funniest, wildest, sexiest, most powerful, and normal (considering these are science ...more
Published May 25th 2000 by Meisha Merlin Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Such a Pretty Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Such a Pretty Face

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Such a Pretty Face: Tales of Power and Abundance
M.C. Hana
Oct 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Full disclosure: I was one of the original contributors to this anthology, under the pen name Marian Crane.

I came back to this book after ten years, and enjoyed it even more the second time around. Some of the stories spoke more to me than others. It gets three stars from me only because I'm not much of a New Weird reader, and some stories seemed to be preaching too much.

Still, I wish that the publisher had survived long enough to offer a second volume of Martindale's size-wise spec fiction.
Karen
Mar 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
More good stories than bad. I prefer fluffy fantasy over edgy sci-fi and most of the stories catered to me. The sci-fi was good, as sci-fi goes but it was more laborious for me to read those. Overall, a decent mix of fat acceptance (and dare I say glorifying?) short stories. For those of us who know our real value and are impatiently waiting for the rest of the world to catch on and get up to speed!
Penniphurr
Mar 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Not exactly what I thought but still a good weekend chew. I made the mistake of reading it with Animal plants in the background discussing various animals & bugs eating other animals and bugs and the result was nightmares and a headache. However I do highly recommend the one about vampires. After reading it I entertained myself w/ crossing t with the Twilight characters. If anyone else reads it, do let me know what you think the Cullens would become.
Kate
I was feeling bad about myself and needed a bit of a boost. This collection of plus-size fairy stories was just what I needed. The collection is mixed in quality, but there are a couple of gems, especially the Elizabeth Anne Scarborough story which I loved and wish it was a full length novel!
Marian
Jul 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-now
AN anthology of short short fantasy stories with plus size themes. It was interesting, the stories were too short. Just as you had started to get interested, a punchline and too quickly over--
JoyfulK
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed these stories. A lot. At the same time I was just sad that stories with positive images of fat characters are so uncommon that we needed a special anthology of them.
Debra
Aug 17, 2008
Line
Sep 07, 2010
Mike C.
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Lawrence Schoen
Aug 15, 2013
Lisa
Mar 03, 2011
Catherine
Feb 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Writer, editor, and activist Lee Martindale has been called “a force of nature” and “Hell on Wheels” for very good reasons. She's edited a groundbreaking anthology (SUCH A PRETTY FACE), released a CD of original filk music (THE LADIES OF TRADE TOWN) and an audiochapbook CD (TO STAND AS WITNESS: THREE ARTHURIAN TALES). Her recent works include PREJUDICE BY THE POUND, a collection of essays and ...more