Start by marking “The Book Of Awesome” as Want to Read:
The Book Of Awesome

The Book Of Awesome (The Book of Awesome #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  9,489 Ratings  ·  1,045 Reviews
Based on the award-winning 10-million-plus-hit blog 1000awesomethings.com, The Book of Awesome is a high five for humanity and a big celebration of life's little moments:

• Popping Bubble Wrap
• Wearing underwear just out of the dryer
• Fixing electronics by smacking them
• Getting called up to the dinner buffet first at a wedding
• Watching The Price Is Right when yo
Paperback, Australia & New Zealand, 394 pages
Published April 15th 2010

To ask other readers questions about The Book Of Awesome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book Of Awesome

Nat
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
“It seems like maybe these tiny little moments make an awesome difference in many of our rushed, jam-packed lives. Maybe we all love snow days, peeling an orange in one shot, and Popping Bubble Wrap.”

I picked this book up at exactly the right time. I had just recently started reading Everyday Sexism, and it ignited a spark within me that I had thought to be long extinguished. I felt such rage at the seeming unfairness of how tragedy was handed out— I actually had to stop reading because I felt s
Dan C.
Jul 23, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
I don't even know where to start with The Book of Awesome. I guess the best place to start is how I acquired this book. My friend Mary sent it to me in the mail last week, thinking I might like it. This isn't the first time that Mary has recommended a book to me, but it is the first time she's ever given me the book she was recommending, with the instructions to pass it on to someone else that might enjoy it when I was done with it.

I can see why you'd want to pass it on after reading it. It's no
Inge
A while ago, I was feeling really depressed, so I decided to order a few books on happiness online. One of them was The Book of Awesome, which is a book filled entirely with "the little pleasures in life" that we take strange satisfaction in, such as popping bubble wrap and the smell of baked goods.

This book has given me tons of smiles, so I thought I'd create a review with 5 awesome things of my own, created in the style of The Book of Awesome.

Your oven smelling like pizza

Eating a slice of pizz
Katie
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: random
This book reminds me a lot of the website "stuff white people like." It's a compilation of short selections about awesome stuff, ranging anywhere from just a few sentences to a few pages. The beauty of this book is that you'll find yourself nodding your head vehemently, saying "Yes. YES. That is awesome. (!)(!)"

Just to get a little idea of what you'll encounter upon reading this, here's a sampling of items from this collection that everyone basically must agree are awesome:

* When you're really
Buggy
Opening Line:"Polar ice caps are melting, hurricanes swirl in the seas,wars are heating up around the world, and the job market is in a deep freeze. Whoa. It's getting pretty ugly out there."

The Book Of Awesome is a really fun idea. Its also a very pretty book, makes a great gift and is being marketed like crazy, I mean its everywhere and yes there are a lot of things included here that made me smile however it really reads better in list form and I’m sure most people did like I did and just ski
Alea
May 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-for-review

If it is not obvious already, The Book of Awesome is.... AWESOME. Whenever you need a laugh, a giggle, a smile a little pick me up, The Book of Awesome is right there waiting for you.

The format of the Book of Awesome is sort of an extended list. Each title describes the awesome thing and then the actual body copy ranging from a word to a few pages details the awesome. Pasricha goes off on a lot of tangents and tells a lot of stories and gives a lot of scenarios but his way with words made me fol
Jessica-Robyn
Jul 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The Book of Awesome is a 393 page reminder that great, AWESOME things come in the most simple of moments.

Through lives small triumphs, moments of easily forgotten fun, guilty giggles, and the tiniest realizations, we spend our time going from one thing to the next and in the shuffle I sometimes forget to really enjoy the things I do. The Book of Awesome goes through those seconds of daily life and finds those situations that we pass by and re-lives, examines, and champions them with all the humo
Rachel
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who appreciate the little things
Of course, the opposite of awesome is un-awesome – which is exactly what it feels like when you have to wait forever in line because there is no other checker to open a new lane or you get a speeding ticket from the cop who was on the side of the road or you hit a bunch of red lights in a row (I always get to about the third and say, out loud in my car, “ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!”) or when your alarm clock blares and you feel like it is way too early for the alarm clock to go off or when you meant to ...more
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Is life getting you down?

Did you have a bad day?

Then you need the Book of Awesome!!

What could be better than taking the simple average every day things in life and rediscovering how awesome they really are?

From bakery air to cat naps. Hitting all the green lights to trick or treating.

Yes... the world is full of little things and with the help of this book you'll turn that frown upside down and stop and smell the awesome.

Brandon
May 16, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, y-u-do-dis
I'm not going to go into a whole lot of detail as it's kind of hard to justify a really long review of this book considering the subject matter.

Just because I have given it 2 stars does not mean that I hated the book either. Judging by the GR rating system, I have selected "it was ok" and that's all it really was.

I did take pleasure in a few of the entries such as; "Obtaining the perfect milk to cereal ratio", "sleeping with one leg under the covers and one leg out" and "snow falling on Christm
Karen
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: at-bjhs
This book should be read in small doses - essays about various everyday occurances that the author finds "awesome", such as "Perfectly Popped Popcorn", "The feeling of scrunching sand in your feet", and "Sweatpants". These are all great things and this is a fine idea for a blog (which is how it started out), but, as you can imagine, they don't all really lend themselves to great essays. I, too, can appreciate "When there's ice cream left at the bottom of the cone" - I just don't think it warrant ...more
Michelle. D.
Dec 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved, books-i-own
The title is very full of itself. "The book of Awesome"... Well lemme tell you something, it wasn't wrong. This book was so AWESOME! It's not really a story but the way the things were written, was so magical!

Let's bask in it's glory....
Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome!Awesome! Awesome!Awesome!Awesom
Bunny
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-15
Something fascinating happened while I was reading this book.

I started out just reading a few chapters in between the other books I was reading. It's hard to read a book like this straight through, cover to cover, so I was giving myself room, to keep from getting bored or having it feel monotonous.

Then I finished the book I was reading, and decided to try reading straight through, starting Friday morning. Sitting outside with my coffee, the dog running around and rolling in the sun. Being unempl
Christina
Apr 21, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not find this book "AWESOME!"

I understand the concept of counting one's blessings, and being grateful for what one has, and I particularly enjoy the blog, IMMD (It Made My Day).

Yet somehow, The Book of AWESOME brings out the Grinch in me.

I think this book would be more aptly titled, The Book of Pretty Neat, or The Book of Pleasant. Some of the items mentioned are just that, pleasant. Other items, I found myself wondering What is the author talking about? (i.e. "When your sneeze stalls for
Meri
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
Okay, this must be the stupidiest book i have ever read yet the most awesome one. Like seriously.

When someone lands on the hotel you just built in Monopoly.
Taking your bra off after wearing it for hours.
The first scoop out of a jar of peanut butter.

and i could go on.

I smiled like an idiot reading this book and it also made me feel kind of nostalgic.

The last chapter hit me like a train.
Samir Ahmed
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly i would say it is a very nice time pass book and it made me feel good. The great thing about the book is that it covers all aspects of day to day life. It will take you from one topic to totally unrelated brand new topic n scene! And you never know what is going to come next. This is what i like most.
In between, some topics are boring and the author has unnecessarily explained it too much with his own theories, sub types and examples. That's why i am not giving 5 star. However, some aw
Jazmin M
Feb 16, 2017 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The Book Of Awesome
By:Neil Pasricha

I can't remember the last time a book made me giggle or think about my life in a different way.Well honestly I don't really read a lot it is just not my thing, but this book by Neil Pasricha has made me want to read more.The book is about great things that happen to everyday people like you and me but we don't necessarily notice because we are so blessed in North America.

This book is very intriguing and I have really enjoyed this book. The book has made me q
Kathy (Bermudaonion)
Neil Pasricha was just a regular guy, working a regular job, and he thought it would be a great idea to sit back and appreciate the little things in life. In order to focus on that, he decided to start a blog called 1000 Awesome Things, and the rest, as they say, is history.

The Book of Awesome is basically a compilation of things Neil finds to be awesome. The description of each awesome thing is only a page or two and the writing is witty and sharp. Some of the awesome things are silly, some are
Cait Poytress
This was such a warm and fuzzy reading experience. Some of the entries brought with them a heavy dose of nostalgia, while others provoked the surprise and delight of "Hey, I do that too!" recognition. The book works best read in small doses, maybe a handful of entries a day. Any more and you run the risk of it becoming tedious (you're reading what is essentially a list, after all), and that would be a shame. Pasricha's commentary on each entry is sometimes sweet, often blunt (but not obnoxiously ...more
Cathie
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like inspirational posters
It's taken me over 3 years to read this. I could have marked it read in the first day or two but that wouldn't have been truthful. I skimmed over it and shook my head "yes" in many places in those first couple of days, but I didn't read it and the mini essays that accompany each awesome thing listed.

This book is a nice nudge to help you remember that the little things that we do or that happen in our daily lives are the way we view life as being great. Try reading it and not shake your head at
Faye
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Laugh-out-loud funny, tinged with just enough sarcastic nostalgia"

Hmm. A good concept. Unfortunately, that little twinge of sarcasm that's supposed to make this "optimism for the rest of us" (Vancouver Sun) ruins it. If you're going to write a book ( or a website) about the little things in life worth celebrating, why consistently muck it up with just the tiniest twinge of negativity? It's The Secret for people that enjoy being crusty.

And, it might be humorous, but "laugh out loud funny" is rea
Kelly Harmon
This is a book spun off from a Web site, where the author has made a list of "Awesome" things... small things that we can feel good about every day. For instance: peeling an orange in one go, the smell of a new box of crayons and the wave you get when you let someone over in traffic.

All good things...

But, I got really tired of the "AWESOME!" printed at the bottom of the page. And, honestly, I would have been happier just reading a list. I didn't need an essay (even a short essay) about any of th
Jessica
Apr 15, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
After a couple hundred pages I stopped reading the author's explanations and just read the 'awesome' subjects. I smiled at topics such as 'Celebrating Your Pet's Birthday Even Though They Have No Idea What is Going On' and the 'Three-Paycheck Month'. But sentences like 'your corny paws are sitting ugly at the bottom of the You Chain' made me snicker and roll my eyes. Definitely a blog-which makes it merely okay put together as a book. Bathrooms, ahoy.
Garci
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really great, uplifting read! Some of the things the author identifies as AWESOME are obvious (When the thing you are going to buy is already on sale), some of the things that are AWESOME are not so obvious (When you get the milk-to-cereal ratio just right), and some were hilarious and made me laugh out loud (Hearing a stranger fart in public). I found my self smiling through most of it. Recommended read.
Gus
Apr 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, nonfiction
I was having a bad day at work (people...please treat retail employees nicely! We have no control over the store rules and we can't change prices!! Also, if you stay until after we close, then we have to stay even LONGER!) and picked this up to read. So many things in here made me smile! I absolutely loved it. This would make a great present for anyone!
Sandra
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A series of essays (some as short as one paragraph) on various things the author declares as awesome; i.e "Hitting a Bunch of Green Lights in a Row", "Popping Bubble Wrap". Subjective, light, and some may be familiar. A so-so book -- fortunately I got it from the library and did not buy it. I would recommend getting a notebook and writing your own book of awesome.
Pinder
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I skimmed through it. I understand the appeal, and it's not offensive or anything, but more of a book for people who don't read books.
Dallas
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An AWESOME book describing all the little things in life that we overlook that we all find as some of the best things in the world. Its the small things that count.
Monia kamli
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book of awesome is just AWESOME !!! , i couldn't stop smiling and felt grateful for all those little pleasures in life that we take it for granted.
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
AWESOME! This book was so wonderful! It took me awhile because I kept sitting down to read it in segments but when you can just read it a page/story at a time it is AWESOME!
  • A Nation Worth Ranting About
  • A Lifetime of Secrets: A PostSecret Book
  • Show Me How
  • If... Questions for the Game of Life (If..., #1)
  • To-Do List: From Buying Milk to Finding a Soul Mate, What Our Lists Reveal About Us
  • Whiter Shades of Pale: The Stuff White People Like, Coast to Coast, from Seattle's Sweaters to Maine's Microbrews
  • Brick City: Global Icons to Make from Lego
  • Awkward Family Pet Photos
  • Other People's Rejection Letters: Relationship Enders, Career Killers, and 150 Other Letters You'll Be Glad You Didn't Receive
  • The Book of Useless Information
  • Kate & Pippin: An Unlikely Love Story
  • Wreck the Halls: Cake Wrecks Gets "Festive"
  • i am neurotic: (and so are you)
  • Let's Bring Back: An Encyclopedia of Forgotten-Yet-Delightful, Chic, Useful, Curious, and Otherwise Commendable Things from Times Gone By
  • Fail Nation: A Visual Romp Through the World of Epic Fails
  • Why I Hate Canadians
  • The Magic Lamp: Goal Setting for People Who Hate Setting Goals
Hey Goodreads peeps,

Pass me a drink. Let's chill on the ripped couch at the back. I love this place. Book lovers are my favorite people. (And my favorite lovers.)

My name is Neil Pasricha (PASS-REACH-AH) and I'm the New York Times-blah-blah bestselling author of The Happiness Equation and The Book of Awesome series. My books have published a lot of languages I can't read, spent eight years and over
More about Neil Pasricha...

The Book of Awesome (3 books)
  • The Book of (Even More) Awesome

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sous Chef: 24 Hours on the Line
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Three Nights in August: Strategy, Heartbreak, and Joy Inside the Mind of a Manager
    $14.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • WEIRD: Because Normal Isn't Working
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle
  • Why Have Kids?: A New Mom Explores the Truth About Parenting and Happiness
    $5.99 $0.99
“Life is so great that we only get a tiny moment to enjoy everything we see. And that moment is right now. And that moment is counting down. And that moment is always, always fleeting. You will never be as young as you are right now.” 58 likes
“The [Five Second Rule] has many variations, including The Three Second Rule, The Seven Second Rule, and the extremely handy and versatile The However Long It Takes Me to Pick Up This Food Rule.” 39 likes