Start by marking “The Living Dead Boy” as Want to Read:
The Living Dead Boy

The Living Dead Boy

(The Living Dead Boy #1)

Though no one around him really believes that zombies will one day rise to devour the living, Josh is convinced it just might happen.

When zombies do shamble into his sc
Published August 11th 2010 by Rhiannon Frater

To ask other readers questions about The Living Dead Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Living Dead Boy

World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 1 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
1,579 books — 4,281 voters
World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoRot & Ruin by Jonathan MaberryThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe First Days by Rhiannon Frater
Best Zombie Books Ever
223 books — 320 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Living Dead Boy
Yodamom
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Story 4 stars
Narration 3 stars
Zombies ! On audio ! Bring on the hoards ! Josh is a future hero and he doesn't even know it. At 12 he plays at being a zombie hunter. Josh and his friends have a club, where they watch movies, reading books, preparing for the future. Yes they are bullied at school, labeled the nerds. Then the unthinkable happens, zombies become real, their fantasy becomes reality. The world goes crazy, people die, and these children will have to be the strong ones. They will have t
Kody Boye
Aug 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
There’s an immense amount of praise to be said for an author who can transition from writing horror geared toward adults to horror aimed toward the younger generation. It’s definitely no easy feat, having to, quote unquote, ‘dumb down’ the violence, mature themes and suggestive aspects that make the genre what it is, but I have to say, Rhiannon does it with such skill and finesse, it doesn’t even feel dumbed down.

The novel starts with what most readers will believe to be the zombie apocalypse. B
Kat
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If someone told me that they had read a great zombie book for MG/YA with a 12 year-old main character, I probably would have raised at least one eyebrow at them. Zombie books are gory, violent, disturbing reads - how can a zombie book be written in an appropriate way for kids of that age?

But Rhiannon Frater knows how to writer for her intended audience - and she does this exceedingly well with The Living Dead Boy and The Zombie Hunters. There's a perfect mix of zombies, tension and drama, but it
Carolyn F.
I really like this author. The book was great, I enjoyed the little group of friends. I just wish the book was longer. Loved the short story at the end.
-RadioactiveBookworm-
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Goodreads Synopsis: Josh Rondell is twelve years old and known as the "living dead boy" due to his rampant love of all things zombie. As the head of the Zombie Hunters Club, he's obsessed with preparing for the zombocalypse.

When zombies do shamble into his schoolyard, Josh finds himself the leader of the dwindling band of zombie hunters, and he is charged with pr
Michelle
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

WELL. DONE. RHIANNON.

Every time I finish a Rhiannon Frater book all I want to do is clap! I have loved every book I have read by her. And this book was no exception. How a writer can make you become part of the story your reading is mind blowing to me. And she does it EVERY time!! For a YA book with the protagonist a 12 year old boy, she did absolutely amazing.

Josh and his friends had a Zombie Hunting Club where they would train for the zombie apocalypse. But what they didn't know was what they
Michelle
I really wish my kids were into the whole zombie genre as I am because I would love nothing more than to share this book with them. The youngest seems to be on track for chick lit stuff, the middle one seems to be headed down the best seller route, and the older one only reads during his study halls at school and only Lillian Jackson Braun. So it's just me and I guess you'll have to take my word for it.

This book is defiantly directed towards a younger audience. If you can understand that and dea
Mary
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own, e-book
Rhiannon Frater is most definitely a master at creating believable zombie stories with memorable characters you both identify with and care about.

When you read this you keep in mind it is a YA book but I still kept forgetting that the characters were as young as she was writing them. At first it struck a discordant note for me because I couldn't fathom that children as young as they were (especially the MC) were behaving and thinking the way they were. But when I really stopped and thought about
Audrey
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a good book. I got this one as a freebie so I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The zombified pre-schoolers where a hoot. Even the short story after the book was great.
Eva Leger
Aug 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
4.5 - Okay, I have to be clear here. If I read this without reading Frater's trilogy I'd give this 5 stars. But because I have read the trilogy, and found it absolutely fantastic, I can't give this five stars. Because I liked the trilogy better. Does that make sense? They're not even in my mind even though this is great in it's own right.
I had one tiny little problem with this and that's it and it's fairly minor just because of how this characters part is played out. Josh's little brother is 3
Gerard
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I am a great fan of Rhiannon's adult zombie trilogy and as this is currently on a hiatus I thought I would fill the void. Although primarily aged at younger teens I found it to be a fantastic read (I am 40).

The story follows a group of young kids from the outbreak, their isolation from adults and the loss of loved ones. Through the journey you can see the growth of characters in the face of adversity, the strength of friendship and acceptance. That said, there is plenty of adventure with, of co
Lori
Did you really think I would give this book anything under 5 stars? But honestly, it is not because that I LOVE Rhainnon Frater. I mean I do love her. She's great. But I wouldn't gush about her if she didn't have the writing chops to back it up.
I should warn everyone that while this is still a horror book it is intended for younger readers. I'm not even talking YA. Let's put it this way...I bought this book in paperback for my 8 year old nephew (he loves zombies. I encourage this, of course). I
Crystal Romero
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Let me start out by stating that I absolutely LOVE all of Rhiannon’s zombie novels and own both the self-published version of her zombie trilogy as well as the ones printed by Thor. With this out of the way let me start out by saying that her novel, The Living Dead Boy and the Zombie Hunters is a kid’s book. To label it a young adult book is a bit disingenuous because the style of writing is more for the 8 and under age. If I had a child in this age range I would not want them to read it mainly ...more
Netanella
Rhiannon Frater continues to amaze me with her talent. She can write epic adult zombie fiction, she can write short horror stories, and apparently, she can write young adult horror with equal finesse.

I read a lot of zombie books, and I've read young adult zombie before. Much of it feels like an adolescent and emotional, acne-ridden episode of a Nick, Jr., show. These books leave me feeling old, and worse yet, with no connection to the characters of the story. Not so this story. Although clearly
Josh Hilden
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I need to preface this review with the following statement, I read A LOT of zombie fiction. That being said it is safe for you to assume that I love zombie fiction and am willing to forgive a lot of over used tropes and boring subplots for the sake of a decent zombie yarn.

This book needs no forgiveness.

The Living Dead Boy and the Zombie Hunters is the BEST Young Adult (YA) horror novel I have ever read. Never once in this book did I feel like the story was writing down to the reader. The story i
Lorre
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved The Living Dead Boy! I thought it might be too "young" for me because because the story is centered around pre-teens and I'm in my forties, but I loved it.

The Living Dead Boy is very different from Frater's Pretty When She Dies Trilogy I read a few weeks ago, but as brilliantly written.
I was worrying about thoses kids throughout the book... I was scared with them, cried with them... I felt like I was in that tree house with them, trying to keep safe from the zombies.

There was a little bo
Rachael_a
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really, really enjoyed this book. For the first time in a while, I was finally able to read something that wasn't covered in typos and other errors. I mean, I did find 2 or 3, but overall the editing was pretty great.

I loved this story. I really liked all of the characters and actually cared about them, beginning to end. The only thing I will say is that I did have a hard time fully believing that the 3-year-old would actually say some of the things he said, but then again, I also have a frie
Gayle
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book.

While reading late into the night, my Golden Retriever scraped her nails across the hardwood floor and scared the daylights out of me! I almost had heart failure.

Rhiannon Frater's goal was to write a story that would appeal to both a 12 year old and an adult. Goal achieved! Kudos!

I have preordered and can't wait to read Frater's first installment of 'As The World Dies Zombie Trilogy.'
Bonnie
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rhiannon-frater
I loved this book. I felt as though I was right there with the kids in the story. Experiencing everything right along with them. I actually found myself tearing up at the end. When I finished reading this I literally sat back in my chair and mused about how epic this book would be as a movie. I expected nothing less from this author. Once again, bravo Rhiannon. :)
Glinda Harrison
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombie, apocalyptic, ya
The zombie apocalypse from a kid's point of view. This is a great book for zombie lovers of all ages. Rhiannon Frater captures the a realistic tone that feels totally believable. This version has a bonus short story at the end which is absolutely delightful. If you are an animal lover, you will see that Ms. Frater has a real gift for writing from a dog's point of view. :)
Patricia Noland
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rhiannon-s-books
Awesome book and story line. Was afraid it would be for young readers only but it wasn't. I'm always astounded by the writing style of Rhiannon's and she doesn't let down with this book. recommend to all readers.
Sandy
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies, ya
Although this is a young adult book I didn't want to put it down and finished it in one sitting.
Sofia The Great
Aug 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
I really liked this book and finished it in a day. I really wish there was more, i wanna know what happens afterwards but isn't that the case with most zombie books? Anyways a really enjoyable read.
Tina
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
great for young and old alike!-looking forward to reading more by this author-HAVE ON MY NOOK TO LEND-WHO WANTS IT?
Rosemary
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great read, really enjoyed.
Zack Adamson
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Even though this book deals with Children in a zombie apocalypse, it remains serious.
Toni
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All zombie fans, young and old!
Sigh. I love Rhiannon Frater. Review coming soon...
Kim Moffeit grant
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Having zombie withdrawals after reading the trilogy I tried this one. I loved it too!
Beagle Lover (Avid Reader)
Stan Yan
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
« previous 1 3 next »

• Tumbling Down: A Post-Apocalyptic Novel
  • Outbreak (The Zombie Chronicles, #1)
  • Blood Type Infected 1: No Future For Man (Blood Type : Infected)
  • Heaven's Peak
  • Save the City (An Invasion Universe Novel) (Save the World #1)
  • The Son and Heir: A Memoir
  • Wall of Silence
  • My People, the Amish: The True Story of an Amish Father and Son
  • Somebody Tell Aunt Tillie She's Dead (ToadWitch, #1)
  • Dr. Hugh Mann (Zombie Fallout, #3.5)
  • Darkness Falls (The Secret Bunker, #1)
  • See You Soon
  • Virtual Insanity
  • London (Surviving The Evacuation #1)
  • My Worst Day Ever! (Julia Jones' Diary #1)
  • Loss of Reason (State of Reason, #1)
  • Disruptive Shock (Disruptive Shock #1)
  • The Towers: DS Connolly - Book One (East End Noir Series)
Rhiannon Frater is the award-winning author of the As the World Dies zombie trilogy (Tor) as well as independent works such as The Last Bastion of the Living (declared the #1 Zombie Release of 2012 by Explorations Fantasy Blog and the #1 Zombie Novel of the Decade by B&N Book Blog).

She was born and raised in Texas where she currently resides with her husband and furry children (a.k.a pets).

She l

The Living Dead Boy (3 books)
  • Lost in Texas (The Living Dead Boy #2)
  • Journey Across Zombie Texas (The Living Dead Boy #3)

News & Interviews

“C’mon, you undead turd head!” 0 likes
“The undead would never be tired. But the living would grow weary. Josh’s” 0 likes