Start by marking “Marry Me (Reidsville, #2)” as Want to Read:
Marry Me (Reidsville, #2)

Marry Me

(Reidsville #2)

Her Heart Was Locked Away

Rhyne Abbot is fierce, brave, and used to a life of isolation on her father's spread on the outskirts of Reidsville, Colorado. But when, overcome with sickness, she collapses, she knows she must return to town if she is to have any hope of recovery. Only there is no place for her but the new doctor's home, and he wants more than just to heal Rhyne

Published December 1st 2010 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Marry Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marry Me

Misfit
Doctor Coleridge (Cole) Monroe doesn't get on well with the powers that be at the big city hospital (they don't like change and Cole's interest in research in new medical treatments) and accepts a trial position as the town doctor in Reidsville, Colorado. In order not to spoil, I'm not going to tell how and why Cole meets Rhyne Abbot, but she's a young gal who has been sorely abused and Cole might be just the man to heal her.

"You're the first person that ever held me, except for those that held
Elizabeth (Liz)
4.5 stars! This was a wonderful surprise for a free ebook! The beginning caught me completely off guard and captured my attention entirely.

Set in 1880s small-town Colorado, Jo Goodman set the scene early on and brought the town of Reidsville to life. The characters were fleshed out, fascinating, and absorbing. The story was imaginative and compelling. The missing half star is due to the fact that it was undoubtedly slightly too imaginative for that time period. Nevertheless, it was a wholly enjo
willaful
Dec 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is the simplest book I’ve read by Goodman in awhile, and I mean that in the most complimentary way. I often find her plots hard to follow but this one had its share of surprises without being painfully convoluted; even better, the over ornateness of language that bothered me in the first book of this series was largely gone. (You don’t have to have read Never Love A Lawman to follow this one, by the way.)

The story concerns Cole, a dedicated doctor who’s come to live in the small tow
Keri
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
10 Stars! This is one of those books where you read the whole thing with a lump in your throat. If any of you have read Annie's Song, then you know what I am talking about. Cole has come to Riedsville to be the new doctor of the town. Him and that no account Beatty boy are on their way out to meet one of the outliners. On the way Will is prepping Cole the whole way on there on how he needs to handle Runt. He is a prickly thing that Runt. However, when they get there Runt is a really bad place an ...more
Ridley
Thank god that finally ended. The padded out ending was like salt in an open wound.

I'll try to review this at length later. In summary: too much telling, not enough showing, wooden characters, choppy scene changes, a perfunctory romance and a partridge in a pear tree.
Ruthie Knox
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the first book by Goodman I've read, but I doubt it will be the last. I found it surprising, understated, and extremely satisfying. Far from conventional. Really excellent.

I can understand readers who wanted deeper heroine POV and more depth to the love story -- as well as with complaints that the heroine's emotional healing is underdeveloped -- but I was happy with the way the story unfolded. It was never quite what I expected it to be, yet I thoroughly enjoyed the journey.

I noticed som
Mela
"you have to decide what kind of woman you are,” she said. “That’s different from the kind of woman other people think you are. It’s that simple, and it’s that hard. Mostly it’s about not letting folks beat you down."

It was definitely, first of all, a romance. But the historical part of it was above average for the genre (historical romances). I am not totally sure that a doctor in New York in those times could have known so much but I want to think (for the sake of the book) that he could.

I had
Leslie
Dec 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, own
The cover makes me think Marry Me will be a sweet, romantic love story. And at some points it is but it also has a few very dark, disturbing scenes that some readers may find upsetting. I was surprised at what happened to Rhyne since the blurb gives no indication of what a truly horrendous event Rhyne has gone through. Having said that, I did enjoy Rhyne and Cole's interactions when they were able to be themselves, talking and teasing each other. The scenes with just the two of them were some of ...more
Sally906
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
I just couldn't get into this story. I didn't come to care for any of the characters despite the horrendous events that happened to Rhyne. There was SO much potential in the story but it just didn't develop enough for me.

I read the eversion of this book and sometimes the scene changed mid paragraph leaving me lost and confused - very choppy.

I am not sure I will read another book by this author - but never say never.
Noelle
This is the first book by Jo Goodman but it wont be my last. I really loved her writing style, her love scenes were pretty hot, and she made the characters feel real. The one and only complaint that I have is that I wanted Cole (H) to show more outrage, anger, sympathy, anything except his quiet exceptence of what Rhyne's (h) father did to her. I liked her confrontation with her father at the end, however I wanted Rhyne to shoot him. =)

Vanessa Kelly
Feb 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Jo Goodman creates a wonderful historical setting and her characters are believable, thoughtful, and authentic. The heroine, Rhyne Abbot, is very different and very engaging. Goodman is accomplished at getting deep into a character's psyche without long narratives or explanations. She trusts her readers to get it, and I really like that.
Lyuda
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: western
As the first book in the series this was wonderful western character driven romance with strong hero and heroine. There was much more angst in this story with heroine’s life wracked beyond imaginable. The hero was a dream one: gentle, sensitive and strong doctor. The secondary characters are very well developed as well.
Linda
MARRY ME is the second book in the Reidsville series by Jo Goodman. A historical western romance set in 1884 Colorado, this story has a darker side than most love stories. Be sure and read NEVER LOVE A LAWMAN to learn about the townspeople first. You will appreciate this story more.

Dr. Cole Monroe had led a privileged life before an accident caused his younger sister and him to move to Reidsville. The 'whys' and 'reasons' to the move and the accident are explained completely when you read this r
Zoe
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I looooooooove Jo Goodman's characters. There is no other word for it.

Rhyne is a difficult character to write about. Under most writers' hands, they would have turned Rhyne into a bitter fiery man-hating heroine. But Jo Goodman makes me like Rhyne Abbot, feel for her and hope for a happy ending for her.

I have seen other reviewers commenting on how Cole Monroe would be a beta hero, being the cool and collected medical doctor that he was. I am not sure what a beta hero should be. But I didn't ge
Shannon Stacey
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I really did, but...

That's the thing. There's a slight lingering "but" that I can't shake. (Ha. Can't shake my but? Sorry.) Anyway. I recommend the book, but I recommend going into it as revisiting the town of Reidsville more than a straight-up romance. There's actually very little conflict related to the primary romance arc.

And, if I was the heroine, I don't think I would have bounced back quite so easily and quickly emotionally or mentally from all the things that s
Jacqueline J
My first read from this author. It was fine and I read it straight through but it lacked a little something to pull it up more stars. Mostly I think it needed a deeper characterization of the heroine. There was very little in her POV at all. She had had such an unusual upbringing that it definitely felt lacking. We knew practically nothing about how she felt being raised as a boy and now learning to be a female. That element was just skipped over.

The opening scenes of the book really set things
Natalya
Jun 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: abandoned, nook
The beginning drama lures you in with great suspense, smart city doctor who shows his mettle, heartwrenching brutality and a tragic turn of events.  What follows is a new cast of characters showing up and engaging in irrelevant dialogue that skirts the main issue.  Somehow the downtrodden main character is then able to embark on a whole new life, without any traumatic psychological adjustment that was sure to follow.  The drama is good, characters interesting, the plot good enough, but the endle ...more
Dls
Dec 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love Jo Goodman's books and reread them regularly. This one is unusual in that the first 50 pages or so are through the eyes of the hero, not the heroine, and it really works.
I also think Jo Goodman is really good at showing heroines who have been abused physically or sexually come to trust men and enjoy physical pleasure again, and this book falls solidly into that category.
The pace of this book also moves along a little quicker than some of her others.
Dec 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
This is not your typical historical romance, and that is definitely a plus in its favor. It's really, really. good. Don't be put off by the cheesy title or cover art, because the story is a lot deeper than it would have you believe.
Hilcia
I first became acquainted with Reidsville when I read Joe Goodman's Never Love a Lawman in 2009 and couldn't wait to get back there again. I loved revisiting the small mining town of Reidsville, Colorado in the 1800's with all its unusual characters and circumstances, by reading Marry Me. I must point out that although these two books are set in the same town with some characters introduced in the first book, Marry Me can be read as a stand alone novel without a problem.

In 1884, Doctor Coleridge
Dana S
I bought the ebook version, and formatting errors kept getting in way of the story. Sentences kept getting chopped up, so the last word would end up on the next line in its own little paragraph, which was annoying but didn't detract too much from the storytelling. But when paragraphs ran on together, especially quotations, then I would have to pause and figure out who was saying what. After awhile, I stripped the drm off the book, and sat at my computer and edited the book as I read, so when I r ...more
Joy
Feb 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Far be it from me to accuse anyone writing romance of a formula, especially Jo Goodman (whose books I adore). Nevertheless, last year, after reading about 8 of her books in the span of a few months, I did find a common pattern to many of them:

$HEROINE is the walking wounded, a victim of $ONE_SICK_PUPPY who has raped, tortured, or blackmailed her. At the opening of the book, $ONE_SICK_PUPPY is not obviously present, but nevertheless he is present somehow. $HEROINE is so damaged and Goodman is so
Jill Dunlop
Dec 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, own
Marry Me is the second book in Jo Goodman's Reidsville series. Cole Monroe finds himself accepting a position as town doctor for Reidsville, Colorado after his younger, mischievous sister sends the town his impressive resume. One of his first goals as the new doctor is to see all the patients in the town and that includes the recluses who live in the nearby mountains. Cole is escorted by the local deputy, Will “that no account Betty boy” to the Abbott's cabin in the woods. When he gets there he ...more
MB (What she read)
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers who like LaVyrle Spencer's historicals and the like
I am really enjoying the discovery of Jo Goodman! Her books have been amazing so far, and I am glomming them as fast as I can get my hands on them. I pretty much sat down and read this straight through. If I hadn't needed to go to work--so needed SOME sleep--it would have been finished in one setting

I can best describe what I like about them by saying what I typically DO NOT like about romances. As my occasional reviews attest, I strongly dislike poorly plotted, poorly written romances with lack
Laura (Kyahgirl)
Jo Goodman is an excellent writer and this book was a good example of her talent for developing deep, interesting characters and describing her world so well that you are 'there'. I really, really wish her titles and covers were better suited to the stories held within the bindings. This book isn't about 'Marry Me' just as 'If his Kiss is Wicked' isn't about wicked kisses. Honestly; what the hell are the publishers thinking? They do a real disservice to their writers when they misrepresent them ...more
Twiggy
Dr Monroe arrives as the new doctor for the town of Reidsville, Colorad, along with his precocious younger sister Whitley. On a trip up the mountains to check on the cantankerous Abbott family, they come across 'Runt' Abbott who is visible unwell. It appears that all is not as it seems and that in fact Runt is having a miscarriage, brought on by her father's maltreatment and that in fact her name is Rhyne. The initial part of the book is taken up with Rhyne's recovery and also her adjustment to ...more
Michele
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Jo Goodman has a gift developing characters that have depth, people you would want for friends. I liked the focus starting with Cole, introducing him and Whitley before meeting Rhyne. The plot had some predictability but the nunances and some elements of the resolution were original and creative. Loved revisiting Reidsville and catching up with the friends of Never Love a Lawman. Goodman's novels are like your children, impossible to pick a favorite.

There is a quirkiness to this story that is wo
Anja
Sep 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: w-az, c
I didn't feel like there was any chemistry and the sparkling dialogue from the first book was missing. There was no indication of romance or even attraction until nearly halfway through the book. The scenes selected also seemed random and felt choppy to me. I'm glad I read it but it felt more like Women's Fiction at times. I definitely don't recommend reading the two books back-to-back like I did. I enjoyed the details about the practice of medicine.
Luvmyfamily
Jan 23, 2015 rated it liked it
I was leery about this book in the beginning because it was almost too descriptive in her miscarriage. I didn't think it would improve but I was wrong. While the book remained a serious book with few lighthearted moments, it was a touching story about a woman who was abused physically and mentally from the first moment she was born. I was happy with the overall plot, and even though I knew the basic idea of what was happening, I didn't know the how so it stayed interesting to me.
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
hmm. first of all trigger warning on this book, it has fairly graphic description of the physical trauma after an assault. But that's not the reason it gets the lower rating. While I tended to like the characters, the actual plot itself was a little all over the place, and the characters reaction to the plot was not altogether psychologically believable. This author either writes really good books or books that are... just not altogether comprehensible.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Free Book Cha...: Marry Me, by Jo Goodman 2 5 Oct 26, 2012 10:07PM
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN 9781420101768 2 122 Oct 01, 2011 07:35AM

• The Pursuit of Pleasure (Dartmouth Brides, #1)
  • Nate (Devils on Horseback,  #1)
  • Conor's Way
  • Wild Desire (Wild, #2)
  • Swept Away
  • Snowy Night Seduction
  • The Matchmakers
  • Love, Unexpectedly (Wild Ride To Love #2)
  • The Mudlark
  • Texas Tender (The Cowboys, #12)
  • Rough Cut (Black and White Collection, #3)
  • Leah and the Bounty Hunter (Men of Defiance, #3)
  • Pieces of Sky (Blood Rose, #1)
  • Big Girls Don't Die (In the Heat of the Night, Book 2)
  • Just a Kiss Away
  • Her Wyoming Man
  • The Brigand Bride (Dangerous Masquerade Collection, #1)
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
To find characters to illustrate my first family saga, I cut out models from the Sears catalogue. I was in fourth grade, but it was a start. In seventh grade I wrote a melodrama about two orphan sisters, one of whom was pregnant. There was also a story about a runaway girl with the unlikely name of Strawberry and one about mistaken identities and an evil blind date. My supportive, but vaguely conc ...more

Reidsville (2 books)
  • Never Love A Lawman (Reidsville, #1)
“It is necessary to know that Cole is a neat-freak. They are both exhausted after a medical situation happens in the story. This is not part of the quote.

"Cole sat at the head of the table at a right angle to Rhyne. He snapped his napkin open and tucked one corner into the collar of his shirt. When Rhyne looked at him in surprise, he said, "You're too busy to do more laundry. I thought I'd try to keep my shirts reasonably clean."
Rhyne continued to stare at him.
"What?" he asked, looking down at himself. "Have I already spilled something?"
"My heart," she said feelingly. "All over you.”
1 likes