Start by marking “The Music of The Lord of the Rings Films: A Comprehensive Account of Howard Shore's Scores (Book and Rarities CD)” as Want to Read:

4.63  ·  Rating details ·  248 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films Book & CD. Howard Shores Academy Award-winning score for The Lord of the Rings has been hailed as some of the greatest film music ever written. Sweeping in scope, it is an interpretation of J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth as music---an operatic tapestry of cultures,
Published October 5th 2010 by Alfred Music

To ask other readers questions about The Music of The Lord of the Rings Films, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Music of The Lord of the Rings Films

Tom
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This 5 star rating is a combined rating for this book and the Lord of the Rings Complete Recordings CDs, which are three sets comprising a total of 10 discs. I'd really recommend owning the CDs alongside this book.

I can't imagine this book being as good if you didn't own those CDs, as most of its content is a track-by-track musical analysis of the scores. You could try reading the book while watching the movies but the score isn't always up front in the soundtrack, and you might be distracted by
Leaflet
Dec 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tolkien, music, favorites
For serious fans of Shore's LotR music score. Five stars aren't enough for this book ~ I give it a galaxy of stars. Without doubt the best book I've added to my Tolkien library this year, maybe ever.
Under the slipcover, the book is bound in a black cloth cover with the elvish ring inscription embossed in gold. It's basically divided into two parts: Description of the major themes with musical examples, then a mavelously descriptive annotation of the scores for each of the three films. The rariti
Jordan Lahn
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Got my copy signed tonight at the Lord of the Rings in Concert event in New York City.
André Gomes
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Um verdadeiro tratado sobre a banda sonora de uma das sagas mais fascinantes de sempre.
O entendimento da construção dos motivos musicais e a explicação da interligação dos temas à narrativa tornarão a experiência de ver 'O Senhor dos Anéis' numa experiência ainda mais especial.
Para os aficionados pelos filmes e para os amantes da Música em geral !
Devin Garabedian
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The greatest film score ever written gets a deep-dive. After 400 pages and nearly four years, I finally made my way through this dense, incredible volume (while simultaneously listening to the complete recordings, naturally.) I now feel I understand about 1/1000th of this masterpiece.
Aiden Heavilin
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book, one of my favorites. Douglas Adams is such a pleasant, gifted writer, (with a talent for describing music), Howard Shore composed the greatest film score of all time, and there's a CD with rare/bonus tracks. How much more can you ask for?
Nicki Markus
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Music of Lord of the Rings is a wonderful, in-depth look at the score from the amazing film trilogy. Adams presents a fascinating journey through the themes and leitmotifs in the score and this is a gorgeous companion book for fans of the films.

One word of caution though - to fully appreciate this book, I would suggest at least an intermediate understanding of music theory is required as Adams goes into some depth and it would not mean anything to non-musicians who are unfamiliar with the to
Ash Ryan
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: film, music
Fans of Lord of the Rings and film music alike will enjoy this in-depth analysis of Howard Shore's music for the LOTR movies. Adams begins by presenting all the various themes used in the score, then describes how Shore weaves them all together in the films going through each movie from beginning to end. The accompanying demos/rarities CD has some interesting pieces, as well as a conversation between the composer and the author.
Alana
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found it quite an interesting read, even if I didn't understand most of the musical terminology. Listening to the soundtrack while reading really helped too.
Cristina Montes
May 29, 2011 is currently reading it
Great for fans of the LOTR movies who happen to be serious music lovers. Interesting analysis of the LOTR soundtrack.
Jenifer
  • The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Chronicles IV: Cloaks & Daggers
  • The Lord of the Rings Location Guidebook
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Official Movie Guide
  • The Art of The Lord of the Rings
  • A Hobbit Journey: Discovering the Enchantment of J. R. R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
  • Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World
  • The "Hobbit" Companion
  • The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Visual Companion
  • The History of the Hobbit (One-Volume Edition)
  • Complete Guide to Film Scoring
  • Understanding The Lord of the Rings: The Best of Tolkien Criticism
  • J.R.R. Tolkien Audio CD Collection
  • Shadow Government: Surveillance, Secret Wars, and a Global Security State in a Single-Superpower World