Start by marking “Meeting of the Waters” as Want to Read:
Meeting of the Waters

Meeting of the Waters

Meeting of the Waters is a thoughtful, honest love story set during one of America's most explosive racial crises. Porter Stockman, a smart and talented white reporter, finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time on the day a jury acquits four Los Angeles police officers of assaulting Rodney King.
Published December 1st 2002 by Harper Perennial (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Meeting of the Waters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meeting of the Waters

Tiara
Dec 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
The meeting of the waters is an actual natural event that occurs in Brazil. It's where the water from the Solimões River (which is muddy) meets with the dark water from Rio Negro. They run side by side without mixing. I've seen pictures of it, but I hope to see it in person one day. The phenomenon is mentioned in the book and holds much significance to the story itself.

Porter Stockman, a white journalist from Philadelphia, goes to Los Angeles to get the story on the Rodney King riots. While the
Mocha Girl
Oct 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Lee, an African American female, and Porter, a Caucasian male, meet while reporting in the midst of the LA riots where she selflessly saves his life. He is instantly smitten by her beauty and attracted to her strong, self-assured personality. They meet again in Philadelphia when Lee joins his newspaper's staff. He pursues her relentlessly and she reluctantly succumbs to his advances and they fall in love.
Although I thought the story started rather slowly, McLarin makes up for the sluggish start
Monique
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is a good book. But if you're a purveyor of IR Romance that prefers the vast majority of contemporary offerings, this book is not for you. There are not fifty pages of explicit sex scenes. The romance is secondary to the overall social commentary taking place in the story. The characters are not described as wealthy and/or overly (physically) attractive. To me, this is the kind of book, I would like more IR Romances to strive to be (i.e. based in reality). Not to say that this book got it a ...more
Sonya
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book and think it is solid. I think some of the backdrop information the newspaper and the riots while universal hot topics also feel a little like you are on the outside missing crucial pieces to a puzzle and you (the reader) miss some of the relevance of what makes characters angry or emotional. I also think that the relationship is a little stereotypical and falls into the trap that most IR novels do- everybody is against the couple and the responses are so typical you can predi ...more
Muyoka
Jul 11, 2010 rated it liked it
I'm a sucker for romantic novels so the romance aspect of the novel was a plus. However at the end of the book I wasn't really sure about the message McLarin was putting across. She highlights racial issues (that anyone living in America is aware of) but offers no insight on what she thinks is the way forward or even if she thinks anything needs to change. At some point the tone implied that she was satirising the relationship between Lee and Porter. All in all it was an interesting book.
Camille Adams
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Precisely charts those thoughts.
Rachel Smalls
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
If I tried to sum up everything this book covers from family, politics, religion, dating and how race impacts and influences each of those and where the characters Lee and Porter stand, I'd be writing all day. So I'll just give my impression of the novel.

This novel was written sixteen years ago and the tone of race relations has not really progressed or changed from then to now and even from centuries ago. Lee is the self-possessed African American professional woman who doesn't sugarcoat her f
Kristin Swope
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my second read from this author and I really enjoy her. Her endings make you want more and kind of make your own ending in a way, which is both frustrating and freeing at the same time. This is the first IR book I've read so I'm not sure how others are but her descriptions and explanations were very real and relatable. I love her writing and each book I've read I've been able to relate to the characters. This book was both entertaining and informative. I am a big fan of Kim McLarin! And ...more
Monalisa Watkins
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A thoughtful and well written book. Great detail and prose. Need to re-read for specifics but I love Kim McLarin's work.
April Brown
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The review on the front of this book says it best....A love story that challenges you to think. It was very intriguing to read a story on biracial relationships from an African American point of view & how even some in their community look upon it with disdain. Very well written story. I hope there is truly a day when we all see just a couple of lovebirds & not think whether one part of the couple is black or white.
Letitia
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book held some unique insights into the world of inter racial relationships. All those stereotypes that keep us from loving each other. My sister author Martha Southgate has been married for 20 years for a white guy. This book really shed some light on that type of relationship. THere is a special kind of strength needed to make that kind of relationship last.
Danielle
Dec 04, 2008 marked it as to-read
Shelves: deep
I didn't get this book when I saw it at the library, but it sounds terrific - about two journalists - a white man and a black woman, who get romantically involved and must struggle with their feelings about commitment as well as cope with their racial differences. Once I catch up with the other books I have on tap, I want to go back and get this one.
Risha1983
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love this author this was the second book I read and both were really good! Definitely want to read more books by her.
Randy
  • What You Owe Me
  • The Prodigal Husband
  • You Know Better
  • Sittin' in the Front Pew
  • This Bitter Earth (Sugar Lacey, #2)