Start by marking “H Is for Home Run: A Baseball Alphabet” as Want to Read:
H Is for Home Run: A Baseball Alphabet

H Is for Home Run: A Baseball Alphabet

Illustrated by Melanie Rose-PoppNow anyone can be one of the "boys or girls of summer" and get a home plate view of America's favorite pastime in "H is for Home Run: A Baseball Alphabet." This new offering in our line of children's alphabet books brings the game of baseball to entertaining and informative life. Sports writer Brad Herzog pairs easy-to-read rhymes with detai ...more
Hardcover
Published March 19th 2004 by Sleeping Bear Press

To ask other readers questions about H Is for Home Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about H Is for Home Run

Alice
Nov 20, 2015 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-25-stars
3.25 stars I like this alphabet series ..some of the letters are a stretch but I get it it! You can just read the story part or you have the margins that are almost a book in themselves!
Mary
May 16, 2017 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
The illustrations were very appealing and I like the idea of using a specific topic to explore the alphabet. But I the content seemed very dry and somewhat uninteresting for the students I was reading to. Therefore, I only gave it three out of five stars.
Jonathan
Aug 25, 2012 Jonathan rated it it was ok
This is a somewhat interesting alphabet book that uses terms, items, and famous people from baseball to represent each letter. Personally, I found the book to be very dull and I think its target audience would be limited to boys in first or second grade, if that. In its favor, the pictures were very pleasing to the eye. The characters displayed were of various races and cultures and there was sense of cultural acceptance in the story.

LEARNING EXPERIENCE:
(This is an activity after the children ha
Alexandria Owens
Sep 18, 2012 Alexandria Owens rated it it was ok
I think that this is a good book for anyone that is really into baseball. I feel like this book is geared more towards male readers and does not appeal to female readers. This book would be a good book to use to teach young children the alphabet because in the book each letter is used to describe the different terms used in baseball. Also, this book has some rhyming and really good illustrations. I rated this book two stars because in my opinion I did not find the book interesting for young read ...more
Donald
Nov 14, 2016 Donald rated it it was amazing
Jj - J is for Jackie Robinson,
who stood for what was right -
to judge on someone's talent,
not if they're black or white.

Great book about a great game! It's almost like two books - the main entry for the letter (like the one above) and then writing in the side columns about other baseball related items of the same letter! And they are written at two different reading levels! So, it reads one way like a child's first alphabet book, and another way as an informational book for older children look
Julie Fischer
OCTOBER, A perfect time to read this book about baseball. Rather boys or girls, baseball is American's game. By going through the letters of the alphabet chilren delight in what they know and learn about a few of the players and as well as the rules of the game. I enjoy these ABC books, my children checked them out often from my classroom library. I hope that they were times when they became a happy family time to get together, readin aloud, and sharing stories as they communicated with their fa ...more
Jessica L.
Jul 14, 2013 Jessica L. rated it liked it
Shelves: abc-pic
This alphabet book will appeal to sports fans. I feel that it can be read in two different manners. Each letter has a simple phrase that accompanies it. Then there is sidebar that goes into more detail and gives a more detailed example of baseball terms that go with the letter.

Theme: alphabet, sports, baseball

It could be read to the students, then have them come up with a a-z list of terms for a different sport.
Zach
Oct 20, 2015 Zach rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
"H Is for Home Run: A Baseball Alphabet" by Brad Herzog was actually my favorite alphabet book growing up. Therefore, I had to give it 5 out of 5 stars. This book is an ABC book that runs through multiple baseball terms and pieces of equipment. As a young kid this was actually very useful to help me understand more advanced baseball terms. I would recommend this book to any child who enjoys sports books.
Falan Miller
Brad Herzog wrote about baseball and incorporated the alphabet. He uses a lot of baseball terms and his illustrations are great.

I liked this book because of the illustrations. My favorite illustration was the one of the little girl hitting a ball off of the tee. The drawings look very real and they are fun to look at.

This book could be used to help children learn the alphabet. Young boys would love this book because it is all about baseball.
Michelle
Feb 17, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: slib-520
H Is For Home Run : A Baseball Alphabet

Herzog, Brad.
Chelsea, MI : Sleeping Bear Press, c2004.
Language : English

ABC book

Although this is an ABC book it is more appropriate for older children. I would recommend this this book to children interested in learning more about baseball. This book could be used in a unit on sports. This story is written in rhyme, but also has a second purpose which is to give facts about baseball. This book is beautifully illustrated.
Sandra Vicars
Sep 05, 2011 Sandra Vicars rated it really liked it
Shelves: rdg-334
An ABC book for all ages. For even the youngest readers and listeners, the alphabet letters are used in poetry including words for each. For older readers and listeners, there are baseball facts associated with each letter as well. This book can be used to build vocabulary and to talk about rhyming words. The pictures are detailed and very colorful. A good read for sports fans.
Todd Freer
Jul 02, 2009 Todd Freer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: concept-book
Concept Book (ABC's) -- wonderful book dealing with the alphabet as it relates to baseball -- like Z is for Zamboni, each margin has additional information about happenings in baseball as they relate to each letter. Published in 2004
Taylor Darst
It is a fun book to learn the alphabet if your children love sports, particularly baseball. It also has some baseball history in it.
Rachelbartholomew
Rachelbartholomew rated it it was ok
May 26, 2011
Carley Robins
Carley Robins rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2008
Miles Nelson
Miles Nelson rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2014
Carrie
Carrie rated it it was ok
Sep 19, 2010
Amie
Amie rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2015
Janice
Janice rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2009
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2017
Shane
Shane rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2014
Sofia
Sofia rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2014
Teresa
Teresa rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2015
Sarah Durham
Sarah Durham rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
Jared &
Jared & rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2012
Marisa Larson
Marisa Larson rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2014
Luann
Luann rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2008
Denis Gaynor
Denis Gaynor rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2015
Elizabeth S
Elizabeth S rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
197991
Brad Herzog is the author of more than three-dozen books for readers of all ages. His children's books include the beautifully-illustrated picture book FRANCIS AND EDDIE (Why Not Books, 2013) and the five-book COUNT ON ME: SPORTS series (Free Spirit Publishing, 2014). His many alphabet picture books for Sleeping Bear Press include H IS FOR HOME RUN and S IS FOR SAVE THE PLANET, which was a finalis ...more
More about Brad Herzog...