Start by marking “When God Says War Is Right: The Christian's Perspective on When and How to Fight” as Want to Read:

Across the centuries, how have Christians who follow the Prince of Peace responded to the recurring reality of war? And what guidance do they offer for believers today–in the midst of global conflict?

In When God Says War Is Right, Dr. Darrell Cole offers thorough and highly readable answers. His expert examination focuses on these topics:
·Relating the character of God with
Published May 5th 2010 by WaterBrook (first published August 20th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about When God Says War Is Right, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When God Says War Is Right

Start your review of When God Says War Is Right: The Christian's Perspective on When and How to Fight
Derrick Jeter
Darrell Cole is workman-like in this overview of the Just War Theory, particularly as articulated by Augustine and John Calvin. As an ethicist and scholar, Cole provides the moral underpinnings and ethical case for war — if the cause and persecution of war meets the classic definition of Just War (jus ad bellum): (1) proper authority must declare and wage war, (2) just cause to engage in war, (3) right intention of force to advance good and avoid evil, (4) last resort to right wrongs after other ...more
Lance Gabrielson
A interesting view of Christian ethics, a must read for people who wonder about religion. The views may been seen as controversial and I suspect that plays a part into its low rating, but dont be deceived! It is an amazing book for all.
Madison Boboltz
May 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Bad scholarship. I would like to read an argument for just war theory that takes a more christocentric approach. Cole relied way too much on Aquinas and Calvin, did not respond to actual pacifistic claims, and his use of scripture is problematic.
Sean McGowan
Very good over view and application of the traditional "just-war" theory.
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am not as staunchly pacifist as I was when I first read this book in 2003, but I still find Cole's conclusions underwhelming. Essentially, he quickly traces the history of just war theory from the early church fathers through Martin Luther and John Calvin, with a few interesting insights (most notable for me is that Tertullian, with whose words Shane Claiborne and others defend a Christian pacifist view, was eventually declared a heretic - there is no indication of the basis for this ...more
Chris Bloom
DISCLOSURE: I served in the Navy for six years, all the time believing I was serving God as well as country. I no longer hold that view.

That said, Cole does a good job of working within his thesis; if you start with the assumption that war can be just, then his arguments are solid. I do not, though, as I cannot perform the mental gymnastics necessary to get "Kill your enemy" from "Love your enemy". This is a useful book for understanding the current American evangelical pro-military mindset, but

Jason
Mar 12, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you happen to be looking for a book where the author used to serve in the military and is attempting to use the Bible to justify and promote war, then this is the book for you! At one point he even argues that killing your enemy in battle can actually be an act of love toward that enemy. Truly ridiculous and blasphemous.
Megan
Dec 10, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I used this as a textbook in a class on the ethics of nonviolence, to counterbalance the other texts we used. Cole presents a logical and well-reased defense of the Just War theory. It was actually an enjoyable read,and well-argued. I don't agree with all of, or most of, his points, but I won't say that he didn't make me think.
Darren Winkelman

• The Line Becomes A River: Dispatches from the Border
  • A Small Revolution
  • Why Religion?: A Personal Story
  • The Descendants
  • Shards of Honour  (Vorkosigan Saga, #1)
  • A Fellowship of Differents: Showing the World God's Design for Life Together