Start by marking “Snow White” as Want to Read:
Snow White

Snow White

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  1,724 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
A princess takes refuge from her wicked stepmother in the cottage of seven dwarfs.
Published November 19th 1991 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Snow White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow White

Miriam
May 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
Text: pretty much the standard story line, a bit on the wordy side.
No idea why the author added the bit about the animals not killing Snow White because she was so pretty. That's right, little girls, being pretty is so important that even wild animals care. No, really, you can pet the bear, honey. You're pretty!
Oh, and the ending was changed so that the evil queen (accidentally? not clear) killed herself.

Illustrations: atmospheric and lovely, although there were some problems with perspective.
MissInformation
Oct 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
I love this story in general, but this is my favorite. It is the most engaging version of this tale I have ever read. It begins with an image of blood smear on snow- setting the tone for the telling (though it is never gruesome, just more "seriously" told). The wicked queen even tries to kill SW 3 times, a fairy tale canon I appreciate. The illustrations have an enchanting lyrical beauty.
Catherine Cunninghan
Snow White is a childhood fairy-tale that many children have grown up with. Disney made this a huge classic but this version brings a slightly different tale to it. We get to see how her mother wished for her to be as she is 'as red as blood, as white as snow and as black as the wood of an ebony tree!'.
Her mother dies after giving birth to her and so doesn't get to see her grow up, but her father remarries for the sake of Snow White. His new wife is extremely jealous of her beauty as her magic
Eunhye Yu
Who would’ve ever thought that there was a different version than the Disney Snow White? I definitely knew about it but I didn’t know how different it would’ve been! I read the story Snow White retold by Josephine Poole and Illustrated by Angela Barret. The story of Disney Snow White is also in this storyline but there are a couple of twists in it. In the beginning we got see how Snow White became, Snow White. Her mother actually wished for Snow White to look like that and then it jumps to the s ...more
Kellie
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Beautiful artwork, romantic from the get-go, sophisticated writing but not over much. An older elementary child would have no problem with comprehension.
Ruth
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love this version of the fairy tale. The illustrations were beautiful.
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This book is exquisite.
Charlotte Smith
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another nice book that I loved with the kids
Mrs B
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful version, both in the direct yet elegant telling and in the gorgeous, intelligent, and imaginative illustration. A couple of questions, though: why does the prince look like everyone else at the final coffin scenes, instead of looking distinguished? He begs Snow White to marry him, but we get no sense of their interaction, never mind why she might want to consent! Amid the coffin-bearers, when the glass lid is finally open, Snow White seems to be looking at no one in particular, and i ...more
Xiaoxiao Zhu
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a thrilling fairy tale! What a romantic love story! What a comforting happy ending! I love this story so much from my childhood until now. To be honest, I have read this book for several times when I still was a child though this book has been translated into Chinese. However, the content in the book hasn't changed, the motion in the book hasn't changed and the characters haven't changed at all, the Chinese edition and English edition are totally same. So when I read this book again, some b ...more
Karly Winters
This is a fairytale-retelling book that is an awful lot like the original. It is about a girl who is born to a king and queen with really pale skin, black hair, and red lips, just as her mother wished for. Yet, the mother dies soon after, and the king remarries to a woman who is, unbeknownst to him, incredibly vain. Eventually, Snow White is taken to the woods where she is spared and finds an empty cottage that ends up belonging to seven little dwarves. They let her stay but constantly warn her ...more
Bhunter2012
Oct 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
I wasn't a huge fan of this version. Maybe I am remembering it differently from when I was a younger, but the Snow White is supposed to only be poisoned by an apple, not a comb and linens too? Oh and she is supposed to be woken up by a Prince, not his servants knocking the poison out of her throat? I just wasn't a huge fan, there is a reason these books are classics, and that is because the story shouldn't chance. But I understand that when things are so old, they tend to change a little each ti ...more
Shelli
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
This retelling of the classic tale of Snow White is a twisted read for sure. It's been a long time since I read the original Brothers Grimm story. I'm sure young readers and listeners will be surprised at the differences between the Disney motion picture adaptation and this one. Snow Whites overly trusting and naive personality practically asks to be murdered by the evil queen. She would most definitely be the first to die in any horror movie.
Alisa
Sep 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: edrd-314
I thought this version of Snow white was really well done. I mostly enjoyed the illustrations because they were detailed and beautiful. There were drawings on each page and they were in the style of realism. It is about A young girl named Snow White who had to run away to a small cottage with dwarfs in the woods. Her stepmother was jealous of her beauty and wanted to kill her. Each time she failed except the last poison apple. The apple came out of her throat and she lived in the end.
Alex
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
The illustrations by Angela Barrett are beautiful, but the story remains the same: A bitter rivalry between stepmother and stepdaughter regarding physical beauty. I don't know how much this interpretation compares with the original, but I think the story line is terribly weak with only a superficial message.
Amanda
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Snow White is one of my least favourite fairy tales, so take my opinions with a grain of salt. I liked the illustrations in the first half of the book the best. I felt the ending was a bit rushed. I would have liked more out of the denoument than we were given.
Mandy Sue
Apr 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, childrens
This version of the story is not written for young children to read. The words are too big for their vocabulary. However, it is well written for you story time. I just recommend reading it once before reading it allowed because the words don't flow smoothly like many children's stories.
Sabrina Osentoski
Snow white is childhood fairy tales that may people grow up with. I would use this book as way for children to see that everyone is different and we shouldn’t be jealous for it. I would also expend this by having the children right and color there own fairy tale.
Dianna
Apr 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Unbelievably beautiful illustrations by Angela Barrett, and a nice (longish) retelling of the fairy tale.
Briynne
Sep 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought of this book randomly while looking through the stuff my brother is reading for his YA/Children's Lit course. Angela Barrett's illustrations are unbelievable. 5 big stars.
Julie
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous!!
Bethany Anne
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the better versions that I have read and so beautifully illustrated.
Jenny
Nov 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Because it is illustrated by the utterly brill Angela Barrett...
Debbie Hoskins
My most favorite book of Angela Barrett's is Anne Frank, but this one is very nice also. Snow White is so beautiful. The snow is nice also.
Jess
What beautiful art! I've had this since I was a child and I'll never get rid of it.
Sandy
  • The Water Of Life: A Tale From The Brothers Grimm
  • The Girl Who Spun Gold
  • Cinderella
  • Melisande
Josephine Poole is the renowned author of several books for children and young adults. Her first book was published in 1961, and she has also written extensively for television. She lives in Somerset.

More about Josephine Poole...