Start by marking “Collected Stories of Guy De Maupassant” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Collected Stories of G...

Guy de Maupassant

Collected Stories of Guy De Maupassant

Collected Stories of Guy de Maupassant is part of the series, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras. Here are some of the remarkable features of Barnes & Noble Classics: New introductions commissioned from today's top writers and
Published February 20th 1985 by Random House Value Publishing (first published January 1st 1927)

Start your review of Collected Stories of Guy De Maupassant
A. J. McMahon
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Guy de Maupassant is very likely the greatest short story writer who ever lived. His gift for capturing whole worlds in just a few pages is without equal. He had the most astonishing imagination allied to a perfect grasp of language. His writing is superbly disciplined, his visual sense is such that he can make you see the scenes he is describing in your mind's eye, and his sense of character is such that the people in his stories are living, breathing, believable characters. Nothing is perfect, ...more
Kari Trenten
A collection of vivid, lively stories, some of which contain colorful, rich characters, interacting with each other, revealing an aspect of life. Others are graphic, incomplete snapshots of cruelty, hypocrisy or intolerance. Perhaps the point of the latter is to shine light upon real life examples of this and expose it. These particular tales left me frustrated, anguished, and unsatisfied, like somehow the story was missing the point of closure. There were cruel stories which broke my heart, yet ...more
Chris
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For the love of Guy de Maupassant

Love is always love, come whence it may. A heart that beats at your approach, an eye that weeps when you go away are things so rare, so sweet, so precious that they must never be despised.
"Miss Harriet"

Widely regarded as the ‘Father of Modern Short Story’ writing, Guy de Maupassant (1850 – 1893) was one of the greatest French writers in the 19th century. His stories strikingly captured various aspects of day-to-day life in France during that time. Many of his
Susan Kraus
Endles stories of seduction, and betrayal. Women are unfathomable playthings. I realize that he was writing about the culture and social set he was involved in, but it was all too much for me. He died of syphilis - I understand why.
Anomander Rake
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Time to write a reivew. I don't feel like it, but the sheer brilliance of Maupassant has forced me to write one. I've read "The Best of Maupassant" a long time ago and I wasn't that impressed. The problem with all those best of collections is that you sometimes miss out on some really amazing things just because the person responsible for putting together the book didn't think they were that great. That is precisely the case here. Most of my favourite stories weren't even included in that ...more
Veysel
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Guy de Maupassant – Otel

Beyaz köpükten kımıl kımıl bir bulut, derin ve ağırlıksız, üzerlerine ses çıkarmadan dökülüyor, yavaş yavaş onları köpükten, kalın ve dilsiz bir şiltenin altında bırakıyordu.

Gün batıyordu. Karlar pembeleşiyor, onların billurlaşmış yüzünde kuru ve dondurucu bir yel zaman zaman canlanıp esiyordu.
Leo
Nov 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh.

I don't see the hype. Ball-of-Fat is told well but, it lacks suspense. I love the social commentary but, it just didn't make it for me. Maupassant also uses sex as a plot device often. Nowadays, in this secular culture, what was once edgy, is now rather tame. Nothing worth reading. But, props for beautiful imagery and poetic language.
Archana
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reading these short stories is a joy. I prolonged it for as long as I could, its over. These stories are ahead of its time and a lot of them question social norms and still deliver a delightful plot.
Alison Peters
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
All a little different - had read The Necklace (surprise ending) and wanted to read more of him.
Michael Sullivan
masterful short stories
Matías
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
geniales relatos cortos
Tanya Morrison
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Perfection of the short story. His ability to note what was going on around him is supreme. I realize that for an observant author every big or small event that occurs lends itself to the compactness of a story with a moral, a laugh, a comment, an unexpected outcome. Learning to guess the game of where a story is going is great fun with a master like Guy de Maupassant. Nothing more relaxing than a volume of best short stories.
Anukriti
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book cannot be reviewed by mortals. I have read hundreds of short story collections- none quite as rich in variety and amazing in character portrayal as Maupassant's tales. I think I need to come up with a superlative for LOVE to describe what infinite reverence and affection I feel for the writer and his work.
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dora's book group selection January 2010.
Franz
Feb 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love de Maupassant's stories: fun, insightful, a little naughty. One of my perennial favorites.
Courtney
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
My favorite short story author
Tamar Nagel
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I can return to these stories again and again and I love them more every time. He understands.
Steven Pohl
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Guy de Maupassant is one of my most favorite short story authors. His writing is crisp, concise, imaginative and very poetic. I am very glad I stumbled upon him in college. Became an instant fan!
Ci
Jun 27, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french
(Reading exercise in French. Only keeping track for learning process)

## Notes
6/27 L'âme étrangere.
Joann
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: classics, fiction
Because I enjoy immersing myself in a fictional universe and living there a while, I am not a huge fan of short stories. These stories are very well written, of course.
Mike Thomas
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love the work here. Read many translations of this wonderful author.
Mally
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved it. Paul's Mistress is probably among my favorite short stories, Maupassant is really an amazing writer. I wish I could read them in French!
Mischa

• Our Town
  • The World's Greatest Short Stories
  • The Social Contract
  • Letters to Iris
  • The Illiad (Classics Illustrated)
  • Il sentiero dei profumi
  • Sans famille
  • The Innocence of Father Brown (Father Brown, #1)
  • The Essential Rumi
  • Roger Federer come esperienza religiosa
  • Niente di vero tranne gli occhi
  • Fuori da un evidente destino
  • Io sono Dio
  • Io uccido
  • Collected Short Stories: Volume 1
  • Quantum Physics for Poets
  • Viaggio al centro della Terra
  • The Mustache
Henri René Albert Guy de Maupassant was a popular 19th-century French writer. He is one of the fathers of the modern short story. A protege of Flaubert, Maupassant's short stories are characterized by their economy of style and their efficient effortless dénouement. He also wrote six short novels. A number of his stories often denote the futility of war and the innocent civilians who get crushed ...more
“Any government has as much of a duty to avoid war as a ship's captain has to avoid a shipwreck."

[On Water]”
14 likes
“Since governments take the right of death over their people, it is not astonishing if the people should sometimes take the right of death over governments."

[On Water]”