Start by marking “The Mummy” as Want to Read:

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  165 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
From the moment Lana sees the mummy of the handsome Prince Nefra at the Egyptian exhibit, she gets an eerie feeling. She hears him whisper "Come back, my princess. Come back". One misty night she sees the mummy in the park, chanting the same mysterious words. Soon Lana is trapped between horror and longing, fantasy and reality.
Unknown Binding, 224 pages
Published August 8th 1996 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Mummy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mummy

Ken
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
It’s quite rare for the Point Horror books to tackle ‘monsters’, I quite liked that this was something different.

I liked Lana’s passion for ancient Egypt, she is instantly drawn to the coffin of Prince Nedra.

There’s enough suspense throughout the story as Lana is convinced that the Prince has returned from the dead.
The story races along really quickly, one of the standouts in the series.
Willow
What can I say? I would have LOVED The Mummy when I was eight, keeping the book by my pillow, reading the scary parts over and over again, and wishing there was a sequel.

I’m not eight though, so this wasn’t quite the read I had hoped for. Actually I don’t know what I was hoping for now that I think about it. I had watched the old Boris Karloff 1932 classic over Halloween and I became nostalgic. When Imhotep gets his tongue cut out, and he is buried alive, the look in his eyes is chilling. I long
Sarah-Jayne Briggs
(This review may contain spoilers).

Although I don't actually believe in it, the idea behind reincarnation has always fascinated me. I've read several books which are either outright about it, or - like in this one - merely hint at its possibility.

Point Horror books are simple and easy to read. This book wasn't hugely scary, even though there were a few creepy moments. (Like the scorpions... horrible). I really liked Seti, the cat, in the book.

I could relate quite easily to Lana's obsession with
Kylie
Emma Meade
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn't find Ancient Egypt fascinating and mysterious?
Lana works as a volunteer at her local museum and finds herself drawn again and again to the coffin of Nefra, the handsome Prince who died thousands of years ago. Lana hears him whispering to her. Does he believe her to be his long lost love?
Reincarnation, romance and ancient history. A thrilling read.
Utena
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Real Rating: 3.45

Lana is a lover of anything and everything of Ancient Egyptian history. In the future, she wants to be a Egyptologist. For now, she is volunteering at Denver's Museum of Natural History. There she is working the Egyptian section with the object her obsession - Prince Nefra. She has even cut her hair in an Egptian style bob making her resemblance to Prince Nefra's beloved, Urbena, whose body was stolen years ago by grave robbers, eerie.

Lana starts having dreams of a time long ag
Carmen Tudor
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this when I was much younger and have finally found another copy as an adult. As far as plotting, pacing, characterisation and narrative impact are concerned, I think The Mummy is a cut above other Point Horror and Fear Street titles (which I admit I love). Obviously this is YA at its simplest, but it's also cult YA horror/thriller at its 90s best. Fab.
Heather
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just...excellent from start to finish. I mean the cat is the hero, what's not to love?

I read this for our podcast Teenage Scream, which dissects the best (and worst) of 90s Teen Horror.

Lawona
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mummy

The author had me hooked from the beginning of the book. Barbara had me on the edge of my seat with excitement and wanting to know what was going to happen next.
Layla
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent for a Point Horror! Enjoyed it.
Michelle
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a pretty interesting read. It kept me wanting to find out what happened next in the story.
Courteney
I read this book as a teenager 3 or 4 times, I really did like it. I suspect if I read it now it would seem like exactly what it is... An easy read for a gullible teenager. It's easy for me to identify with the main character (who doesn't love ancient Egypt enough to volunteer at a museum?) and of course there's the super creepy romantic interest that teenagers seem so interested in (ahem: Twilight)... It's an easy book to be enthusiastic about when read and contemplated in a teenage mindset. My ...more
Caitlin
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book when I was eleven as an assignment for my 6th grade English class. The story stuck in my head for years and I finally was able to track it down just before my 24th birthday. Having freshly re-read it, I would highly recommend it to a middle school aged person, which it is written for. It's got all of the things that caught my young eye and which I still enjoy: Ancient Egypt, Reincarnation, a strong female lead, and a cute cat coupled with thriller aspects. It's a great rea ...more
Tara Calaby
It's been so long since I read this that I can't really remember the details.
Lisa
Mar 02, 2017
Zuzana
Oct 14, 2017
Ryan
rated it did not like it
Oct 17, 2017
  • Prom Date
  • The Ripper
  • The Yearbook
  • The Diary
  • Fatal Secrets (Point Horror, #24)
  • The Watcher
  • Krazy 4 U
  • Night School
  • The Surfer
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
Also writes under the name Barbara A. Steiner.