Start by marking “Angel of Mercy (Angel of Mercy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Angel of Mercy (Angel of Mercy, #1)

Angel of Mercy

(Angel of Mercy #1)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  1,346 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Heather Barlow has always been idealistic, and now that she has finished high school, she's ready to make a difference in the world. After graduation, she joins a mission group on a hospital mercy ship sailing to Africa. However, Heather is unprepared to face the disease, famine, and misery she encounters.

Ian McCollum is also among the medical staff in Uganda. Ian has left
Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Published December 18th 2007 by Laurel Leaf (first published January 11th 1999)

Abielle
Apr 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this book for the first time at age 13. It is one of the books that helped to shape me into the bookworm I am today.

The story of Heather and Ian almost romance in the African bush is one of the most heart wrenching stories I've ever read. McDaniel is a master of drama, and this book is definitely one of her most emotionally fueled works. Angel of Mercy (and it's sequel, Angel of Hope) are beautifully written accounts of Heather and her sister Amber's travels to Africa upon the Mercy Ship
Cali Jex
Oct 11, 2010 rated it did not like it
One of these things is like all the others. True to the stereotypical Lurlene McDaniel story, this novel is a tale of eighteen-year-old Heather’s search for the greater meaning in life after death. Heather, having left her family as a volunteer to go help small daycares and schools in Africa, immediately meets the strapping young Scottish man named Ian who teaches her how to handle the disease, death and misery she struggles to come to terms with upon coming to Africa. Strengthened by this man, ...more
Brittany Durrant
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Heather graduated high school and now she's going on a Mercy trip to Uganda to help those who are in need. She has always dreamed of doing something like this ever since she was little, so she was excited to be going. What she wasn't prepared for was the suffering she witnessed.
I thought "Angel of Mercy" was an amazing book. I loved every single thing about this book.
I would recommend this book for middle school and up because it's pretty easy to read and it's not that long of a book.
Brianne Durrant
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really like this book because it shows the difference between cultures and how hard some lives are. "Angel Of Mercy" is about Heather going on a trip to Africa and realizing how hard people's lives are. I would recommend this book to Freshman and up because it's an easy book to read.
Stephanie Jachymek
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: novels
Eh. I've had this book sitting around since I was a kid so I decided to finally read it.
I'm not a religious person so right off the bat I'm biased on not being super impressed by the whole thing.
Add in historical inaccuracies and improper facts I'm just not all that sold on this book. (Hutu and Tutsi were a major Rwandan issue, not Sudanese.)
Not to mention, for what the books subject is, I feel it should have focused more on the actual acts of helping people instead of some six month romance. Th
Amber
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was in middle school and loved it, I decided to read it again now as an adult. I am an American living in East Africa, so there was a new connection now. However, I must say that I was very disappointed in some of the misinformation in the book. For example, Swahili is actually not that widely spoken in Uganda, the main languages are actually English and Luganda and While Swahili recently (after the book was written) became an official language, it would not be the langua ...more
Megan
Sep 04, 2010 rated it liked it
In this fiction book, Heather, a charitable girl recently graduated from high school leaves the comfort of her wealthy home in Florida to spend six months assisting at a charity hospital in Uganda. She leaves on the trip with a desire to make a difference in the world, and though she does achieve this goal in the service she renders, an even greater change is made in her as she learns to reach beyond herself and see others for the children of God they are. The trip is physically and emotionally ...more
Danielle
Dec 08, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: eng-420-elective
Lisa
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: africa-reading
I picked this book because it was set in Africa and I needed a quick read for sitting in the waiting room of a doctor's office. Maybe I'm just 25 years too old for this book or maybe the book is wrong on a bunch of levels. I think I probably would have been swept up in the romance and adventure as an adolescent but there's no way I would let my daughter read this book. I don't appreciate the mixed messages. Heather says she didn't come to Africa to fall in love and then she does j yurt st that! ...more
Karen
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dallas-library
Michelle
Jun 03, 2008 rated it liked it
This book was about Heather Barlow traveling to Uganda to help out the local citizens to reach their nessessity. She travelled by ship to reach to Uganda. During the trip, she met a friend named Ian McCollum. Ian was with Heather whenever she is nostalgic for home and grieve when a little child died. Ian and her had faced obstacles that deals with misery, death, diseases and war.
I think it is book was okay but wasn't as good as what I expected. But overall, I learned a lot about how people lived
Kimberly
I grew up being a big fan of Lurlene McDaniel and yet this book was a nice departure from even her usual. I love missions and I've wanted to be involved with Mercy Ships which is a ministry featured in this story! What the characters are involved in and pursuing, in retrospect, contributed to a lot of what I have pursued in the years since (a litte uncannily so--I'm just recalling this book recently). A sick, little orphan baby--check. No plane crashes or time spent on Mercy Ships (though I have ...more
Kirsten
Nov 27, 2009 rated it did not like it
Category: McDaniels

This book is about a girl who sails o Africa on a mission to help those in medical need. She also strives to help people spiritually. The girl, Heather, has many spiritual experiences and meets a lot of interesting people on her journey. I didn't enjoy this book, because it was blatantly didactic and cheesy. I am touched by a book when it indirectly inspires me. I think that indirectness has a better ability to touch people, because they get to choose their feelings instead of
Marie Danielle
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved It! Fabulous!

Theme: Love triumphs over all: hate, selfishness, cruelty, tragedy, death

Theme: Act kindly without seeking ultimate reasons. Practice random acts of kindness.

Theme: Believe in yourself. To succeed, we must first believe that we can.

Theme: One needs something to believe in, something for which one can have whole-hearted enthusiasm.

Theme: Things are usually not as bad as you think they will be.

Theme: People from other cultures are really very much like us.

Theme: Look for the gol
Alana
Dec 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
Romance

I didn't really enjoy this novel because it was so didactic. The main character is very kind and compassionate and decides to go to Africa on a charity mission. I thought it was a great idea but the way it was executed and written was just boring and unexciting. The characters were to easy to predict and there wasn't any real conflict that made me want to keep reading. I think many would enjoy this novel but I didn't.
Blake
Oct 05, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: engl-420
Missionary Fiction. "Didn't like" it is an understatement. For a novel that criticizes the decadent West, the book sure promotes Western superiority. I couldn’t stand this self-righteous, pretentious book. Every time something went wrong, a quote from the Bible made it right. Horribly didactic. Horribly cheesy. I felt like I was reading a book from the 1950’s. Robert Cormier’s The Chocolate War is more ethical. Awful, really.
Briana
Jun 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Review:
This was a great, quick read. I accidently read Angel of Hope around three years ago not realizing it was the sequel. Angel of Mercy was a very touching and heartfelt book. Lurlene McDaniel's style is one of simplicity but powerfulness. However, I felt the end of the book went by a little too quickly. It was very easy to see why Heather fell in love with Ian.
Jaydi
Feb 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a book about a girl who wants to help the less fortunate so she goes on a trip to Africa. As she sees more and more sick and starving children she begins to lose hope, but a boy she meets restores it...
i really like it so far and reccomend reading Lurlene McDaniel books, she's an awesome author.
Hollydabchotmail.com
Aug 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
A Christian type novel, love story, and a death occurs towards the end. The book was intriguing for a one time read, but I would not read it again. I learned about other beliefs, but the death at the end was disheartening. Lurlene Mcdaniel writes books that deal with tragedies, but tend to be popular among Christian teens.
Erin Brawner
Heather Barlow travels to Africa on a mission trip where she meets Ian. She begins to feel discouraged with the refugee camps and orphanages being overcrowded, Ian is the only person who makes her feel better. This book will help students be thankful for what they have and teach them about the struggles in other countries.
Mary Bronson
I thought this was a very good book. I really enjoyed reading it. I loved Heather as a character it was a very touching, heartwarming, and heartbreaking book. It was a great book about self finding and young love and the sting of heartbreak when losing a love one. I also love Ian as a character as well.
Kaitlin
Jun 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It was really good! I read it when I was a freshman in high school and I really liked it then, It's a teen book but it teaches you things that everyone should learn and that's love to serve others. I wanted to read this book again because well I wanted to read a really good book.
Madison
Aug 19, 2009 rated it liked it
It was awesome to have my favorite quick read lurlene again. Especially after breaking dawn :P I really enjoyed this one! Although it wasn't my favorite. She doesn't make you love these characters as much as she does in other books. This book was very inspiring, though.
Courtney
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
A novel that inspired me when I was a young child and is also still expiring me today. Mission work, spreading the love of Jesus, is something that can be difficult and even dangerous; however, no matter what comes against you, you must remember who's word you stand upon.
Jenna
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is definitely a good read for high school students especially if they are interested in the mission field. Although it is cliché in that Heather travels across the world, find love, and then loses him, it still teaches a great lesson and shows the difference between cultures.
Meg
Dec 13, 2007 rated it liked it
So I thought I was all cool because I read the info about this book on Amazon and it sounded right up my alley.

Well, I went to the library today and read the back of the book, and turns out its so cool and so up my alley that I've already read it lol.
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book made me cry.
Jasmine
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I made me cry. It is a great teen novel about life and our relationship with God.
I loved it!
Callie
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
THE BEST BOOK EVERRR!!!
  • Prisoner of Time (Time Travelers, #3)
  • On My Own (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #4)
  • John G. Paton: Missionary to the New Hebrides
  • The Deep End of Fear (Dark Secrets, #4)
  • The Narrow Road: Stories of Those Who Walk This Road Together
  • Things as They Are: Mission Work in Southern India
  • No Graven Image
  • Scared (On the Edge of the World #1)
  • Mission Possible: The Story of a Wycliffe Missionary
  • Hindenburg, 1937
  • Passport through Darkness: A True Story of Danger and Second Chances
  • Anna and the Duke (The MacLaughlins, #1)
  • Doing Time: Notes from the Undergrad
  • Jesper (Lisa's War, #2)
  • Finding Home: An Imperfect Path to Faith and Family
  • Heart & Soul (Clearwater Crossing, #3)
  • Back to Jerusalem: Three Chinese House Church Leaders Share Their Vision to Complete the Great Commission
  • Too Small to Ignore: Why Children Are the Next Big Thing
Lurlene McDaniel (born c. 1948) is an author who has written over 50 young adult books. She is well known for writing about characters struggling with chronic and terminal illnesses, such as cancer, diabetes, and organ failure.

Other places to find her are...

Angel of Mercy (2 books)
  • Angel of Hope (Angel of Mercy, #2)
“We're all on the journey of a lifetime. God is our shepherd, and we have only to do what He asks of us. Kindness for one another, love for each other, that is what will change the world. Medicine can heal the body. But only God can make well the human soul.” 7 likes