Start by marking “Happy Birthday, Moon” as Want to Read:
Happy Birthday, Moon

Happy Birthday, Moon

(Moonbear #2)

Bear loves the moon so much that he wants to give him a birthday present. But he doesn't know when his birthday is or what to get him. So Bear goes to have a little chat with the moon. A poetic fantasy, Happy Birthday, Moon has delighted fans for years as a simple yet reassuring celebration of love and friendship. Gently told with warm words and charming illustrations by ...more
Published March 1st 2000 by Aladdin (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Happy Birthday, Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Birthday, Moon

Start your review of Happy Birthday, Moon
Westminster Library
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A real cute book that is good for my daughter’s age (two). I thought this book was originally under a different name so I had the hardest time finding it again. But I did finally find it and it brought back memories of reading it when I was a child.

Find Happy Birthday, Moon at the Westminster Public Library!
Adriana
"When a bear discovers that the moon shares his birthday, he buys the moon a beautiful hat as a present."
Dareen
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet book! A good way to teach students about being selfless.
Fabyan
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: rgd-291
Happy Birthday, Moon is a memorable read. Somehow, it’s simplicity is what make this such a great picture book for children. The story begins with a brown baby bear, named Bear, pondering on the idea to give the moon up in the night sky a birthday present. Bear then attempts to communicate with the moon, hoping to get an idea when the moon’s birthday is or what it likes. When the bear heard no response from the moon, he continued to position himself onto the higher ground until he reached the ...more
Kristy Teague
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
A cute story for younger elementary-aged children. Bear wants to get the moon a birthday present and travels to a high distance to talk to the moon. Full of humor and suspense, the author gives the reader a chance to practice making an "echo sound" to capture what the bear imagines the moon is saying to him in return. Helpful for teaching about giving/generosity, communication and listening, cause and effect.
Ruth Covington
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The art of this book has stuck with me my whole life, and when I think of this book, I remember that chocolate dark bear and the rich deep blue background and the beautiful white shining moon. I was awed by how beautiful and rich these colors and contrasts were, and how soothed and comforted they made me feel.
Jen
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
We're starting to read longer stories at night! This was the first I tried, and it's a good one for the evening. There's a bit about echoes, and it was weird to try and use the same inflection when it was conversational.
Edward Sullivan
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A reissue of this charming classic.
Danielle
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Um, I love this book.
Lacie Ortiz
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, moon, birthdays
This adorable book is about a bear who thinks, "Wouldn't it be nice to give the moon a birthday present". So the bear climbs a tree and tried talking to the moon, the moon didn't respond and bear thought this was because he was too far away. So the bear paddled across the river, hiked through the forest, and climbed the mountains. He figured he was much closer to the moon now, so he showed "Hello" His echo replied back with hello but bear thought it was the moon talking back to him. Bear ended ...more
Willow Schroyer
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
• Happy Birthday Moon by Frank Asch is an adorable picture book that deserves 5/5 stars. The illustrations look like a coloring book page that’s all colored in. Using simple Blue’s greens and Brown’s was perfect for this story. The pages aren’t overpowering with text and often the pictures take over not just one but two pages. The formatting of a yellow outlined white border is perfect to illustrate the Picture book feeling. Page 8 is a perfect example of a text box with a matching yellow border ...more
Susan Barnes
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Bear wants to buy the Moon a birthday present but first he must find out Moon’s birthday. So begins this wonderful story of a generous and kind bear.

Happy Birthday, Moon by Frank Asch was published many years ago, but it is one of my all-time favourites. The cleverly written dialogue creates a humorous situation which culminates to a lovely conclusion.

Frank Asch has also done a great job with the pictures which are simply done and crafted to explain the text.

A delightful children’s book.
Joan
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bear travels to the highest mountain, searching for a birthday gift for his friend, Moon. He’s delighted to learn that he and Moon have the same birthday. Or so it seems . . . .

Young readers will thrill to Bear’s charming adventure as he searches for the right present for Moon. This book, with its appealing illustrations, celebrates friendship and is a perfect book for parents and young children to read and enjoy together.

Highly recommended.
Min
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
A friendly bear wants to give the moon a birthday present. He travels to the mountains so the moon can hear him--he speaks to the moon, and hears the echo of his voice, unbeknownst to him. A very young child would enjoy this best as an older child may spot the mistake with the echo and think him a rather silly bear.

Weston Woods Studio productions, again, makes the static illustrations move and entrance the viewing listener.
Leslie
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This was one of my favorite books as a child and is now one of my children's favorite books. I love it when that happens. The illustrations are simple but cute. The book is simple, but cute. This story highlights the science of the echo.
Karla Winick-Ford
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Admittedly, this is the first moon bear book I have read. I like that it's a birthday book- young children will enjoy.
It's warm and endearing. The text lends itself well to discussion about echos and such. Illustrations were pretty limited and basic. It's imaginative. Worth reading, once.
Lydia Theobald
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-funny
I read this book with the girls I babysit, ages 4 and 6. Throughout the whole book, the six-year-old and I were dying laughing. The four-year-old enjoyed it too. So sweet, so simple, and absolutely hilarious (if you read with kids that have developed their sense of humor).
Kathryn Bergeron
Summary: Bear wants to give moon a birthday gift.

Why I Read This: It was on a list of books that every child should read.

Review: It was cute. That's really all there is. There isn't really a moral, just a story.
Bookworm's Nemesis
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute story. As we were reading it to our daughter, I realized I had read this book when I was little. The moon tries to get as close to the moon and little does he realized who he ends up talking to.
Katelynne
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A cute, funny read. Meant for Pre-K kids, but younger school age kids will enjoy this, too.
Dan
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute story!
The Transmuted Tree
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Red 1st
Peacegal
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute, friendly, and gently surreal.
b.andherbooks
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I loved this book as a young child and for many years thought THIS was "Goodnight Moon." Obviously not, but glad I finally figured it out! I was looking for this title/author for forever!
Milton Louie
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-children
Too me it is kind of a quiet book. Can be a little exciting. [BWH]
Emily
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Clever plot twist in which bear wants to talk to the moon, and finds its voice in his own echo.
Margaret
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Simple, cute book great for a preschooler.
Mary Mcclelland-Teren
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My childhood favorite book. I still have it over 30 years later
Kristina
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: malcolm
Cara
The little bear wanted to get the moon a present when he and the moon started talking, no realizing what he heard was actually an echo. It's a cute, short story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Visitor for Bear
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
  • Where's My Teddy?
  • Ten, Nine, Eight
  • Is Your Mama a Llama?
  • Gregory the Terrible Eater
  • Unicorn Day
  • Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing
  • The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash
  • Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now!
  • Diary of a Spider
  • How Much Is a Million?
  • The Seven Silly Eaters
  • My Papi Has a Motorcycle
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • Another
  • I Will Be Fierce
  • Me And My Fear
Frank Asch is an American children's writer, best known for his Moonbear picture books.

Asch published his first picture book, George's Store, in 1968. The following year he graduated from Cooper Union with a BFA. Since then he has taught at a public school in India, as well as at a Montessori school in the United States, conducted numerous creative workshops for children. He has written over 60

Moonbear (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Moon Bear