Start by marking “The Book of Man” as Want to Read:
The Book of Man

The Book of Man

Set in the Scottish Third World hidden inside the First, this novel takes a savagely uncompromising and unsentimental look at the true nature of love and friendship in a city that, like its troubled characters, has lost all its old certainties.

London-based writer and single father Kevin Previn returns to his native Glasgow after an absence of ten years, his homecoming pro
Published 2011 by Cracked Sidewalk Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Man

Outlander by Diana GabaldonMacbeth by William ShakespeareDragonfly in Amber by Diana GabaldonThe Winter Sea by Susanna KearsleyVoyager by Diana Gabaldon
Books Set in Scotland
775 books — 587 voters
Garnethill by Denise MinaRob Roy by Walter ScottBuddha Da by Anne DonovanExile by Denise MinaEspedair Street by Iain Banks
Glasgow
38 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Tony Black
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Barry Graham comes from that great generation of Scottish writers like Irvine Welsh, Alan Warner, Gordon Legge and Duncan McLean - all names I admire and whose work I've enjoyed - but for some reason I came late to Graham's own output. The Book of Man was my first introduction and it carries a lot of the hallmarks of the ScotLit brigade: casual drug use; drifting, sofa-surfing characters; warts and all Scottish locations; biting scabrous humour and a deeply-felt pathos ... I was immediately at
Leslie
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think a big reason I enjoyed this book is because it takes place in Glasgow, the city I currently live in. I recognized areas and attitudes within its pages that I encounter often, despite the action taking place decades before I lived here. Graham captures the working class atmosphere that still hovers over this city despite the changes that have taken place. It was interesting.
Ryan Mishap
Sep 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: novel
A writer from Scotland where this novel is set. Friendships, class issues, family relationships, drugs--you wacky kids will probably like it.
saw him and Peter Plate speak here back when Incommunicado Press was still around. I remember the guy from the press pushing me to go get autographs...from the anarchist writer and Graham? I never understood how people involved in punk and anarchist related endeavors never seem to understand what it's all about.
Jeremy Tolbert
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just fantastic writing about going home again.
Christine
Lonely, dirty and beautiful.
Jane Polcen
Tracie
Oct 30, 2016
Sean Bradford
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
a grim portrait of a life flecked with the daily joys that keep one from being lost.
Alicia
Carol Hogan
Jun 10, 2010
Phyllis Peterson
Jan 05, 2014
Barry Graham is what Foucault called an Author Function.

More than a dozen books.

Published in magazines including Harper's, Salon, Narratively, PANK, Northwords Now, Flaunt, Parabola, The Big Click and Nerve.