Start by marking “Christopher Columbus and the Afrikan Holocaust: Slavery and the Rise of European Capitalism” as Want to Read:

4.51  ·  Rating details ·  295 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Book by John Henrik Clarke
Published August 14th 2000 by Eworld (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Christopher Columbus and the Afrikan Holocaust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christopher Columbus and the Afrikan Holocaust

kripsoo
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is definitely a masterpiece. Dr. Clarke was truly a genuis, he goes through the slave trade and shows the roles of both various European world imperialist powers, and african empires that played a role in the slave trade and He uses referrences from portuguese and spanyard sources that shows the role of Christopher Colombus and his crew men in the african holocaust as well as the holocaust against the indigenous people of america and He shows how the crusades played a crucial role in t ...more
Monty desai
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OH MY GOD! WHAT A BOOK. IT OPENED MY EYES AND GAVE ME A NEW PERSPECTIVE OF HOW THE NEW WORLD DEVELOPED AND WHAT SLAVE TRADE HAD TO DO WITH WHAT EVERYTHING WE SEE TODAY. WHO CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS REALLY WAS? WAS HE THE REAL ARCHITECTURE AND CREATOR OF AFRICAN AND ASIAN SLAVE TRADE IN THE NEW WORLD? DON'T MISS THIS BOOK FRIENDS. IT'S ONE HELL OF A BOOK. I WON'T GO DEEP AND LEAK ANYTHING, PLEASE BUY OR GET THIS BOOK AND READ IT. YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED.
RYCJ
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An annotated perspective, primarily through citations, captioning the events that precipitated and nurtured slave systems. This certainly is the most condensed, 'familiar' version, of what I learned in the 70's about these historical events, and even more certainly makes for a nice source to use as a reference for finding protracted versions on war and the multifaceted contributors at the roots of caste systems and capitalism.
Brandon White
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strong systemic analysis of how and why the Maafa happened. I wish that Columbus' direct role in it was explained better, it did help me understand why Europe did it, and how it impacted the world greater than most historical events.
Ahonsi
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book was underwhelming. Considering Henrik Clarke's prestigious reputation as a scholar of Black history, that he could put together such a disjointed text is depressing. Also, whoever edited this book needs to be drawn and quartered.
Randall Wallace
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Europe was short of food and realized it needed more spices from the Far East to use as food preservatives. Europe also needed an outlet for it’s own anger and feudalism had been only a lightweight enslavement. Columbus’s greatest achievement to Dr. Clarke is that he is the person who sets into motion western civilization’s most dubious achievement: racism. Outside of the U.S. in South America and the West Indies, and elsewhere blacks had some cultural mobility, but inside America - forget about ...more
Ulysse Colonna
Jun 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
To be avoided at all cost! There are much more serious much better informed books available today.

Sometimes dated, often totally off-charts, this book is a collection on semi-baked ideas and paranoid conspiracy theories that do little to explain how and why trans-atlantic slavery developed in the New World. One can of course relate to the generous ambition of the author (dispelling the myth of the European civilizer, showing slavery for the terrible catastrophy it was, etc.), but the book itself
Kevin Dorival
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved every page of this book. He illustrates why and how our history made African people a powerful race. I'm even more proud to be black. This is a must read for anyone that wants to know the details of 1492, and the lies that our kids (and ourselves) are being taught in schools across the world regarding Columbus and his pirates. Mr. Clarke even challenges us in the last paragraph of the book, and I accept; a memorial for the ancestors that died during the Middle Passage must be built for o ...more
Sameena Mulla
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
A low rating mostly because 1) I am not a fan of polemics; 2) I have read most of the source material and find Clarke playing a bit loose on the interpretation; and 3) the characterization of Africans as monolithic is troubling, even when it comes with the best of intentions. That said, the polemic is powerful, decenters and challenges simplistic historical narratives, and the ending, a call to mourn and memorialize, is surprising and gives one pause.
Karen Brown
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An exceptional account of our history, the plague of Columbus & the Middle Passage, and what we as a people need to do to truly move forward. Recommended for the conscious, the open-minded & the young.
Daniel
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great, passionate introduction to Chattell Slavery study promoting Pan Africanism and a better awareness of the struggle. A&B edition isn't greatly printed though.
William Warbucks
Feb 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
As a consummate student of Dr. Clarke this was just another wonderfully written book by the rebel historian.
William
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A huge fan of Dr. Clarke and his teachings. This is the 1st book I read of his after watching his documentary A Great and Mighty Walk.
Alexis Taylor
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dr John Henrik Clarke does a phenomenal job with giving historical background on the truth behind America's beloved explorers and hero Christopher Columbus by exposing the so-called hero as a rapist racist and murderer of millions of indigenous people. It is wonderful that in the book it takes us to the history of the slave trade and how there is no evidence that Christopher Columbus ever discovered America.i highly recommend this book to African Americans and a wonderful book for all classes.
Shawn Moffett
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Open your third eye. There is a reason for everything.
Kiemon
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
A few inaccuracies concerning WWII but this book was a gem. The fact that we still have this sham holiday every October is beyond comprehension.
Dee
Feb 09, 2012
chimere
Mar 01, 2017
Yoseline Deniz
rated it did not like it
Feb 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The African Origin of Civilization: Myth or Reality
  • Black Genesis: The Prehistoric Origins of Ancient Egypt
  • World's Great Men of Color, Volume I
  • Destruction of Black Civilization: Great Issues of a Race From 4500 B.C. To 2000 A.D.
  • They Came Before Columbus: The African Presence in Ancient America
  • Blueprint for Black Power: A Moral, Political, and Economic Imperative for the Twenty-First Century
  • Stolen Legacy
  • From Babylon to Timbuktu: A History of the Ancient Black Races Including the Black Hebrews
  • African Origins of the Major "Western Religions"
  • When We Ruled: The Ancient and Medieval History of Black Civilisations
  • Yurugu: An African-centered Critique of European Cultural Thought and Behavior
  • Before the Mayflower: A History of Black America
  • The Assassination of Fred Hampton: How the FBI and the Chicago Police Murdered a Black Panther
  • Black Prophetic Fire
  • Nile Valley Contributions to Civilization: Exploding the Myths
  • The West and the Rest of Us: White Predators, Black Slavers and the African Elite
  • The Philosophy and Opinions of Marcus Garvey, Or, Africa for the Africans