Start by marking “All Your Worth: The Ultimate Lifetime Money Plan” as Want to Read:
All Your Worth: The Ultimate Lifetime Money Plan

All Your Worth: The Ultimate Lifetime Money Plan

This personal finance guide from 2020 Democratic presidential candidate and Massachusetts senator Elizabeth Warren, offers a new way of thinking about and managing your money that will allow you lifelong emotional peace and financial well-being.

You work hard and try to save money, so why is there never enough to cover all the bills, to put some away in your child’s college
Published January 17th 2006 by Free Press (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about All Your Worth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Your Worth

Start your review of All Your Worth: The Ultimate Lifetime Money Plan
Kathy
Jun 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: financial-books
The #1 thing I learned from this book is to divide your expenses into 3 categories; must-haves, wants, and savings.

Your MUST-HAVES should ideally be no more than 50% of your take home pay and include the bills that you would have to keep paying even if you weren't working (housing, utilities, modest food budget, etc). If you keep this number in line, it clears the path for your savings and discretionary income. HUGE lightbulb moment for me once I did my math!

Your SAVINGS should be 20% of your t
Amy
May 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have become *such* an Elizabeth Warren fan. Don't know who she is? She's a Harvard Law Professor (bankruptcy) who is also on the TARP oversight committee. She's done really fascinating studies comparing 1970s finanaces with today's finances and her findings are scary and astounding and worrying. The woman is absolutely brilliant and I'm very intrigued to see what she has to say about what people can do for their own personal finances in light of all the odds they're up against.

Edit: 2017 rerea
Unwisely
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009, non-fiction
I've been reading personal finance books on and off in an attempt to learn about it. The problem is, most of them are either written for a someone who only reads magazines, or are so preachy I find them off-putting. I'm not in debt, so one of the main thrusts of this book is irrelevant to me...but I liked it a lot anyway. Lots of useful stuff, nuts and bolts practical advice, worksheets, delivered in a way that's both informative and supportive. (And...it motivated me to finally call about my 40 ...more
Gwen
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Gwen by: comment section on The Billfold
Elizabeth Warren, you are fantastic. (Even with your association with Dr. Phil...nobody is perfect.) This book showcases her understanding of contemporary financial issues facing the 99%, and you can see her growing concern at the increasing lack of government regulation on the financial industry.

All Your Worth is a stellar book, albeit in places a bit dated, on how to manage your finances, regardless of where you are in life. As a single twentysomething, the chapters on buying a house and disc
Tiffany
Aug 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
So I am trying to learn about how to have a solid financial life...something my parents, and many 30-something's parents, were never able to teach me. This book was recommended by the head of the credit union at Harvard and it's GREAT! It's easy to use and understand and really do-able. I suggest anyone who needs to learn the basics of setting up a financial foundation get this book.

UPDATE: I PAID MY CREDIT CARD OFF!!! I attribute that to this book 100%. This is a MUST get and read and follow bo
Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods*
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Anyone struggling with money or simply worrying about money could do well to read this book. Written before she entered politics, Elizabeth Warren's appreciation for the financial and life difficulties faced by ordinary people comes through here, and it is easy to draw a straight line from her advice in this book to her national economic policies. The book is easy to use and provides sensical reasoning to money management, no matter how little you earn. She accounts for emotions and does away wi ...more
Logan Hughes
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrift, favorites
I knew I would love this and I did! Released two years after The Two Income Trap: Why Middle-Class Mothers and Fathers Are Going Broke, this is exactly what I wanted more of from that book: a practical, step by step road map for what actual individuals and families should DO, given the present economic situation. There are a lot of personal finance books out there, and I've read a lot of them, but this one is one of the best in a lot of ways.

It's balanced
The core of All Your Worth is the balance
Natalie Tyler
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wish that this book had been published 40 years ago. Warren, and her co-author daughter, have a plan for how to allocate one's funds. The plan is practical and simple and makes sense. Many readers may need to begin with financial CPR before they can adopt the plan: 50% of your budget for the MUST HAVE items and 30% for the "want to have" items and 20% for savings.

Some people are in "legacy" debt or in "splurge" debt. Most very dire financial situations are caused by medical bills and/or job lo
Jason
Sep 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
I had been reading several personal financial planning book when I discovered this one. I like the Balanced Money formula they use because it is practical (meaning that is leaves room for your extra expenditures that are wants more so than needs) and it is very do-able. i can say that this book, along with the accompanying worksheets, help you to get a clear view of your present financial situation and assist (step-by-step) in planning for your future. Great stuff all you have to do is get the i ...more
Megan
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m convinced at this point that not only is Elizabeth Warren a genius, her whole orientation is rooted in a deep kindness.
Laura Finazzo
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
It didn’t take much for me to fall in love with Elizabeth Warren. Her progressive politics, her earnest concern for the plight of all Americans, her frustration with policy decisions that routinely reward big finance over honest people, her ability to shut down detractors with facts and heart, her near-obsession with the stories of bankrupt families in an effort to figure out how we can help them… she just makes me swoon.

Warren’s memoir, A Fighting Chance, left me quite smitten with the Massachu
Geof
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: money
Heaven help me, I really enjoyed this book. I don't know if I'd have enjoyed it 10 years ago, but I thought it was valuable now. I wonder if reading it would've helped me avoid some financial mistakes I made: buying a house at a bad time, buying a car immediately after buying that house, and having a third kid shortly thereafter.

Typing that, you realize "There's the rub." Warren/Tyagi's 50-30-20 rule (spend your income in the following proportions: 50% needs, 30% wants, 20% savings) is a nice id
Nora
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is intelligent, well-written and formulates the most common-sense plan about financial management I have ever read. It doesn't matter if you're a poor young professional or a millionaire, or what your expenses/investment/lifestyle choices are - everyone has something to learn from these incredibly smart ladies. They start with the history of financial regulation and how it's influenced the psychology that goes into personal money management. Then they dive into teaching you how to bala ...more
Victoria
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finances
I mostly picked this up just to see how the advice compared to the Dave Ramsey plan we're already using. Basically, most of the advice is really similar, although Warren and Taygi structure their plan differently. They are insistent that in order to be financially successful, your money must be well-balanced between needs, wants, and savings. The problem is when any one of these is out of balance with the rest, and the book gives steps on how to get it back in balance. While I agree, this does d ...more
Ericka Clouther
This is basically Dave Ramsey's plan which I think already existed when this book was written. (Dave published Financial Peace in the 1990s.)

Similarities to Dave: This book is mostly about the evils of credit cards and debt in general. While they don't recommend paying the smallest debt first (classic Dave Ramsey), neither do they insist you pay the highest interest rate debt first.

Bad differences from Dave: The authors suggest doing a bunch of worksheets that I have no interest in whatsoever.
Aug 28, 2008 added it
Recommends it for: ANYONE!
Recommended to Sarah by: Terri Gross' Fresh Air
So I usually read fiction to escape from life, but anything by Elizabeth Warren is a must-read, especially in my field of work (consumer law, specifically, working with people with money and credt problems). This book blew me away, becuase here I am thinking I know so much about money management, yet I honestly don't have a long-term plan (or even a day-to-day plan) for saving money or managing my money. This book lays out a simple realistic plan for getting your money house in order. So vital t ...more
Carolina
Aug 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal-finance
I learned of this book on one of the many personal finance blogs I read, and I was mainly intrigued by its philosophy of allocating "fun money" as part of your budget. My father always stated that if you never have enough money left over to spend on the things you want, you're doing something wrong. On the heels of my father's advice, I felt this book was right up my alley. One of the authors mention that budgeting should be seen like healthy eating: a lifestyle change where balance is needed an ...more
Sammy Lawnchair
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think just about anyone will find the first chapter in this book helpful. It outlines a balanced spending plan of 50% must haves, 30% on wants, and 20% on your future (which in stages may include paying off debt, paying off your home, and saving for retirement.)

The book is a touch dated (published in 2005), but still full of really helpful advice. What I particularly enjoyed is the point it makes of not being judge-y and helping readers get into the best mindset to take control. Good read. I'd
Nikki Morse
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a great book and useful framework on personal accounting and finances - including info on getting out of debt, saving for short and long term goals, and negotiating money matters with your partner. Highly recommend!
Kristi Connell
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book years ago, and I keep coming back to it because the advice and recommendations are still so sound. It’s great for the personal finance newbie - solid information that’s easy to read and understand.
Janice
May 19, 2009 is currently reading it
A good money book if I can pick it up and finish it.
Roxanne Nichols
May 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: money
if you do nothing else but apply the 50-30-20 rule to your life, you will never have to face this sour economy again with trepidation. READ THIS BOOK...LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS, SERIOUSLY!
Marcie
Jun 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2009
Very simple idea for a finance book. I liked the 50-30-20 anti-"latte factor" idea because it suggests that people are not just living to save money, they are using money to enjoy living.
Vicki
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well this is it. This is the one I'll buy and make my budget around. It makes the most sense, seems the most workable, and is also one of the simplest strategies I've read.
Katherine
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
You can't afford not to read this book!
Daisy
Nov 14, 2017 added it
Solid, no-nonsense financial advice from Elizabeth Warren and her daughter.
Sugan
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book will help you a lot of you are already in some financial trouble. And the book explains a approach to get things under control.
Angélica Chacón
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good, concise, vital information for creating a sustainable budget. It read too much like a self help book, but the information it had was worth overlooking that.
Stijn Zanders
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simple and effective advice, will for sure put it to use
Kelly
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
Basic and solid advice for budgeting and how to best use your money. Still mostly relevant almost 20 years after publishing, I feel like an updated version addressing our new gig economy and increased basic living costs would be useful.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Broke Millennial Takes on Investing: A Beginner's Guide to Leveling Up Your Money
  • Get a Financial Life: Personal Finance in Your Twenties and Thirties
  • Broke Millennial: Stop Scraping by and Get Your Financial Life Together
  • Your Money or Your Life
  • Clever Girl Finance: Ditch Debt, Save Money and Build Real Wealth
  • Refinery29 Money Diaries: Everything You've Ever Wanted To Know About Your Finances... And Everyone Else's
  • Set for Life: Dominate Life, Money, and the American Dream
  • The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous & Broke
  • The Index Card: Why Personal Finance Doesn’t Have to Be Complicated
  • The Interpretation of Financial Statements: The Classic 1937 Edition
  • The 30-Day Money Cleanse: Take Control of Your Finances, Manage Your Spending, and De-Stress Your Money for Good
  • The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need: Expanded and Updated Throughout
  • Your Money: The Missing Manual
  • The Debt-Free Spending Plan
  • The Truths We Hold: An American Journey
  • The Wicked Redhead (The Wicked City #2)
  • A Little Bit of Everything For Dummies
  • The Sheer Force of Will Power
Elizabeth Warren (born 1949) is an American academic and politician, and the current senior U.S. Senator from Massachusetts and a Democrat. She is the Leo Gottlieb Professor of Law at Harvard Law School -- where she taught contract law, bankruptcy, and commercial law -- and devoted much of the past three decades to studying the economics of middle class families. In the wake of the 2008-9 financia ...more