Start by marking “Jamberry” as Want to Read:
Jamberry

Jamberry

This bestselling classic features a berry-loving boy and an endearing rhyme-spouting bear. The fun wordplay and bright paintings with lots of details for young readers to explore make Jamberry a perennial favorite, and this board book edition is a great stocking stuffer.

A small boy and a big friendly bear embark on a berry-picking extravaganza, looking for blueberries, bla
Board Book, 32 pages
Published January 6th 1995 by HarperFestival (first published 1982)

Donovan
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Jamberry makes me hungry, as it should. It contains literally thousands of berries, jams, jellies, pies, tarts, you name it. And a pleasant anthropomorphic bear. There's a cute and, more importantly, un-forced rhyme scheme that lightly dips into the "made up words" Dr. Seuss territory. The artwork is solid. Clean, bright and imaginative. I think Bruce Degen does a good job of subtly encouraging kids to get outside and do something simple yet rewarding in nature, like berry picking, which stimual
Valerie
May 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Holds a special place in my heart--I was reading this book out loud to my 3 year-old niece after her brain surgery and it made her laugh. It was the first response we'd had and it marked the beginning of a turn for the better. I think this book is miraculous.
Emily May
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
The rhyme in this book just works so good. I like it almost as much as my son does. It's amazing how quickly "One berry, Two berry, Pick me a blueberry" gets stuck in your head.
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
This has been one of our children's favorites.

It has wonderful, whimsical illustrations. The words are full of alliteration and made up words. This was a great book with which to challenge my early reading boys with.

A sweet, wonderful book that still makes me smile despite all the times we had to read it.
Terri Lynn
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, children
I read this book years ago when my daughter was younger and reread it regularly now. It is a purely joyful rhyming book that zips off the tongue in a delightful way. The colors burst off the page and there is so much energy here, it makes me want to dance. The berries look luscious and there are so many surprises in the gorgeous art. Read this no matter what age you are and please share it with all of the children in your world just for the joy and pleasure of it.
Jack
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites! RIvetting especially the part where the canoe goes over the damn.
Samantha
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite picture books from when I was a kid.
Kylie Walter
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdg-334
Jamberry is another one of my very favorite primary reader books. As a little girl I read this book too many times to even attempt counting. When I first got it I couldn't actually read it but I had memorized it page by page so I pretended to read it. It is an easy read for beginners and it is absolutely adorable. It really pulls you in with its illustrations, I mean what little kid wouldnt want to be able to run around barefoot eating all sorts of berries and hanging out with a big bear like th ...more
Memi Lecrou
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a silly little story. Though there was less story to it and more silly rhyming. Where it shined was in the illustrations. I had to pause on each page to take in each picture so I didn't miss a thing. Marshmallow cattails, lilypads made of pats of butter, a tree with slices of bread for leaves and of course berries of every kind jam-packed (see what I did there?) throughout. It makes me crave some nice juicy blackberries.

full review available on my blog
Shiloah
This was one of my favorite books growing up. I’ve raised my children on it. Today, while browsing children’s books, I realized our copy has long since flown the coop. We bought another one for the youngest kids to enjoy. I still love it too.
Anne
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, re-read
This was a favorite book of my children when they were little. Today i read it to my grandson and already he loves it, too. "One berry. Two berry. Pick me a blueberry. Hatberry. Shoeberry. In my canoeberry." These words would send him into peels of laughter. Love this book. Don't ever let it go out of print.
Heidi-Marie
A gift for V. from Sis. M. Christiansen. Fun to read aloud--great rhyming. Cute pictures.
Arin
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: liked
Great book! tongue-twisting at times but a fun experience all together!
Amy Buthelezi
This rhyming story is filled with cute, comical pictures of animals and people eating various types of berries. This book is great for teaching colors, animals, and fruits. There are also elements of transportation and music in this story.
Ten_zillions
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ga-pre-k
Jamberry is a book literally about making jam! It introduces a variety of fruit that can make jam. This book would be excellent to accompany a food activity. It is also easy to read and introduces rhymes and rhyming words.

Randi
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amelia-s-books
This will forever be one of my favorite books. I remember reading it with my own mom as a small child, and it was one of the first board books I bought for my own daughter. We still read it several times a week (sometimes several times in a day!) and I never get tired of it.
Katie Fitzgerald
I revisited this book recently for the first time in over 5 years and liked it much more than I ever have before. Bo Peep became completely obsessed with the pictures as well as the rhythm of the text, and when the book is available, she asks for several readings right in a row. Miss Muffet also liked it, and she was making connections between it and other berry books we know, such as Blueberries for Sal.

This review also appears on my blog, Read-at-Home Mom.

Read at Baby/Toddler story time on 1/
Samantha Goff
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing!! I really like it and I actually read it to the children at my workplace. It tells about the many different types of berries, how to count as well, and the difference of body parts from animal to humans. This book used age-appropriate language for children who are starting out to read on their own. I believe that the young children will enjoy this book especially if they like berries.
Ruby
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fruits
I think that this is a great book for 2 to 3 year olds because the sentences are very short and they all rhyme in each page.Younger children can definitely benefit from it because it is very short and simple under one category which is berries. The fiction will make it a fun story to review about what kinds of fruits will make good jam.I would like to use it in a unit that has to do with fruits and vegetables.

Extension activity: Children can go around and say how they would make their very own j
midnightfaerie
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This was another one of those books where I didn't really see the allure, but my children absolutely loved it! All of them! My 5 yr old as well as the twin 3 yr olds! Pictures were interesting and fun, colorful, and there was no real story, but funny words made from jam like words, that had them all repeating the funny sounds. As I read it, they all insisted they get their own turn to examine each page. So, it was a winner for us!
Antoinette
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rhyming, math
Its a great book with interesting rhyming and very colorful and imaginative illustrations.I could use this book to help them with rhyming words and math concept ( 1-4).

Learning Experience: I would bring in many different kinds of fresh berries when they are in season.( concrete example) I would invite children to make a simple pattern such as blueberry, strawberry, blueberry.As an extension I would make the pattern a little difficult for example, blueberry, blueberry, raspberry, and so on.
Christina Mack
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wordplay, word-play
Wordplay at its finest resulted in a joyful read of an unbelievable adventure. Would recommend to teachers in pre-k classes everywhere.

Extension: teachers can bring in different flavors of jelly and jam for children to taste test on biscuits.

SD1 Children will use processes of science to actively explore and increase understanding of the environment.
Lori Nii-amassah
I love “Jamberry”. The book follows a little boy and lovable bear as they search for berries. It is full of vibrant colors and joyful rhyme that can capture the attention of any age.

You could extend this book by having your own berry tasting picnic. Make sure you have several different berries for the children to sample. Ask them what they taste like and which one they like the best.
Donna Roy
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A bear looks for berries to make jam. He's so hilarious because every word ends with berry(ex:shoeberry). The bear uses blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries and then a fountain and mountain of berries.

Learning Extension: The children could participate in a taste test, to test the different berries and discuss the colors and taste the berries.
Christie Wild
Oct 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Summary: A little boy walking in the forest meets a big lovalbe bear that takes him on a delicious berry-picking adventure in the magical world of Berryland.
A delicious classic (published in 1983)! Fun. Beautiful. Lyrical. Rhyming. I could read this one over and over. Maybe I'll even memorize it! Shouldn't be too hard at only 111 words.
Mandeep
Apr 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
although i found the sometimes nonsensical rhyming a little off putting, my 2 yr old loves this book. the first time she saw the illustrations her mouth was literally hanging open. the pictures aren't what i normally thought would appeal to her, but the detailed pages with cute character faces making exaggerated expressions really do appeal to her. "boy so happy" she likes to tell me.
Bridget
Sep 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Love it. Every time I read it I want to run across the street and go berry picking, just sometimes the berries aren't in season. Anyhow, it makes berry picking seem like more fun than Dance Dance Revolution somehow.
Kimberly
My son enjoys this one...but I think I enjoy it more. The pictures are a bit too intricate (and not very bright) to really catch his attention, but I love the silly rhyming language and watching his face while I read it out loud to him. I think he'll like it even more as he gets older.
Krystal
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books. I've read it to Lincoln so many time I think both of us can recite it without even looking at the pictures. Cute story, very clever writing. We love to pretend like we pick the berries off of each page and eat them.
Rukia Rogers
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rhyming
This book is a perfect read aloud with young children.Its clever illustrations are full of fun,irony and opportunities for conversations.The book also encompasses a wonderful rhythmic pace,joyful rhymes and is excellent for supporting phonological awareness.
2015 Reading Chal...: Jamberry by Bruce Degan 1 15 Aug 06, 2015 06:28PM

• Sheep in a Jeep
  • Big Red Barn
  • One Pup's Up
  • Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?
  • Silly Sally
  • Barnyard Banter
  • Time for Bed
  • Is Your Mama a Llama?
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • Hug
  • But Not the Hippopotamus
  • The Mitten
  • My Very First Mother Goose
  • A Good Day
Bruce Degen is a children's literature author and illustrator, with over forty books to his credit.

He is probably best known as the illustrator of The Magic School Bus series of books, by Joanna Cole. He has collaborated with Nancy White Charstrom on the popular Jesse Bear books, and the Caldecott Medal winning Commander Toad series by Jane Yolen. Degen has authored Jamberry, Daddy Is a Doodlebug,