Start by marking “You Might Be a Zombie and Other Bad News” as Want to Read:
You Might Be a Zombie and Other Bad News

You Might Be a Zombie and Other Bad News

You're going to wish you never picked up this book.

Some facts are too terrifying to teach in school. Unfortunately, Cracked.com is more than happy to fill you in:

* A zombie apocalypse? It could happen. 50% of humans are infected with a parasite that can take over your brain.

* The FDA wouldn't let you eat bugs, right? Actually, you might want to put down those jelly beans.
Published January 2011 by Plume Books

To ask other readers questions about You Might Be a Zombie and Other Bad News, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Might Be a Zombie and Other Bad News

Start your review of You Might Be a Zombie and Other Bad News
Nermin
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you're familiar with cracked.com you must already know how awesome and addictive it is. Extremely informative and fun to read, what can possible be better? And if you're an active user, you've probably read most of the articles in this books, but almost half or 18 of the articles are completely new. Some of them are hilarious, some very depressing and some really creepy. And no, this book has nothing or at least not much to do with zombies.

Also buying this book will make you look sexier(or s
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
This book is the #1 resource on Teddy Roosevelt's Bad-Assedness! It's a really funny trivia book that covers many different topics and manages to find interesting and entertaining angles on all of them.

The only disclaimer is that this book can get a little gross from time to time (the very first article is about horrifying insects and what they can do to you), so I wouldn't recommend it for the squeamish. Anyone else, however, should get a lot of good laughs from this book.
Kate Woods Walker
Apr 07, 2011 rated it liked it
It is my habit to read a book like this one as I am reading a more serious, difficult book--thus giving my brain a bite of candy before or after the heaping helping of leafy green vegetable that is a "good" book. And You Might Be a Zombie and Other Bad News by the writers from Cracked.com is a tasty little piece of sugar indeed.

If you are already familiar with the highly entertaining lists at Cracked.com, then you know how addicting and engaging are such pieces as "Four Brainwashing Techniques T
Gerry
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
After reading an avalanche of "fun" science books with titles like "Do bees have knees?" or "How cold is a penguin's chuff", this book was a breath of fresh air. Those familar with the writings of the cracked.com team will know the kind of irreverent humour to expect, and they don't disappoint.

Learn about the forgotten accounts of what Jesus did as a surly teenager (Jesus the child-killing dragon-slayer? Really? :) ) that the powers that be decided to excise from the finished gospels! Discover t
Jordan Rowe
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
I am a huge fan of Cracked.com, but the Book is just like the website, some of it is extremely interesting, but by some, I mean 3-4 articles out of the entire book. Some of it just seemed forced. I would recommend picking this book up at your local Bookstore, reading a few select articles and putting it back, or borrowing it from a friend.

It was just not worth the time, I finished it in about a day, mostly because some of the articles were so boring I skipped them, about things I already knew, o
Chrysanthos
Jan 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I've been a fan of Cracked.com since the site started so i guess it is no surprise i liked the book. Eventhough I don't know how many of the articles are actually scientificaly proven, it's always fun to read them.
Ummu Auni
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ummu Auni by: Limau Nipis
I've downloaded this from http://tuebl.ca for sometimes. And then, given a nudge by Limau Nipis, I read this. Oh my, I breeze through this! All chapters are short and memorable. And the chapter titles are catchy!! For example, Five Fun Things that Will Kill You, or Four Places that's Bad for You to Have Sex, or Terrifying Truths on Child Birth.

Three Colors that Control Your Mind is so hilarious. I never thought that pink would be one of the colours. Associated with feminine, girly things, it act
Ashleigh
You Might Be a Zombie.. is essentially a collection of Cracked.com articles in a book. Articles such as 'The 5 Most Horrifying Bugs in the World' and 'The 6 Most Depressing Film Endings in History'.

If you enjoyed Cracked.com back in it's heyday or love reading clickbait articles, this is for you. It's not exactly award-winning writing or world-class journalism but it's a fun read.

When I first read this book 5 or so years ago, I loved it. Now after maturing slightly, I found it kind of meh.
Brandi
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
"You Might Be a Zombie and Other Bad News" is humorous enough (some sections more than others) and yet mega-creepy in other areas. I now have nightmares about shrieking bullet ants, being decapitated via hippo and having to listen to hours-long recordings of men impersonating Abraham Lincoln. It was a fun read and some of the info is good for freaking out friends.
Bettie
Mar 07, 2011 marked it as lookedinto-decidedagainst
I read The Zombie Survival Guide - it is all the info I need on this subject.
;OP
Linaria
May 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
I was really into Cracked for a while. The humor is juvenile, but fun.

This book will take you through everything from fanfic Jesus stories to deadly bugs, told with in the classic Cracked list style. More than anything, this book is fun if you want to whip out some interesting facts at a party or in a trivia competition.

Some of the lists in this book were pretty obvious (Cute Animal that Can Kill You - Hippo? SHOCKING.) There were some interesting factoids about the bugs and the food you eat. I
Davis Kane
Oct 02, 2012 rated it liked it
You Might Be A Zombie, if you're familiar with their website, doesn't deviate from the formula that made them so popular in the first place. And that's just fine, because it works for them and their lists are entertaining and easy to read bathroom fair. However, I found myself slightly disappointed.

I think that Cracked is one of the most entertaining websites on the internet because it is (mostly) entertaining, not overly-crude, and, most of all, super informative. They churn out articles regula
Särah Nour
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
While I would generally avoid anything with “zombie” in the title, I’m also one who would get my hands on anything having to do with Cracked.com, a site of great wit, humor and surprising educational value. Having You Might Be a Zombie, and Other Bad News in my possession is like having a pocketful of trivia and hilarity whenever I may go.

You Might Be a Zombie, and Other Bad News is a compilation of humor articles written for Cracked.com by writers of various professions. Not only does it take
Mike
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty freaking good. Reads exactly like the blog at Cracked.com; hilarious and smart. It's not something I could sit down and read, but for short trips in the car (as a passenger, of course) and during commercials it was a fun read. Some of the claims are definitely a bit on the wild side, like the whole zombie-parasite claim.

We have a lab here at USF that studies T. gondii, it does not cause zombification, period. While it does affect the olfactory senses of rats, affecting their primary defe
Laci
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor, non-fiction
This is harder to judge than it may seem. The book itself is written in typical, cracked.com style. And even though I usually enjoy it a lot, this time it was complicated.

First of all, I read some of the articles online. So even though they were good (e.g. the one about bugs), they weren't new. And they would be more interesting for someone less knowledgeable. The way the book is crafted counts on reactions of surprise and disbelief of the reader. More often than not, it's pulled off smoothly.
Robin
Jan 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-in-11
There were several parts of this book where I laughed until I thought I would choke. I already love the cracked.com website as my spiritual home, and I finally got tired of the incessant pop-up ads begging me to read their book.

so fine, I bought it over New Year's.

I have thoroughly enjoyed (nearly) every part of it. Like the site, the book is not so much chapters of a narrative as it is short (ish) articles in five to 10 parts. I must admit that I skimmed the article on bugs, and didn't read any
surfmadpig
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Cracked.com is a great specimen of good old worldwidewebbery: funny, original, researched, non-promotional, well-written. Of course all of the web was never so great, but there's still a major qualitative drop these days. We love you, cracked.com, and we need you more than ever. Deliver us from terrible web content!

Random words of wisdom I've underlined in this this book:

"In other words, the platypus is Mother Nature's way of saying, "I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop
Cornerofmadness
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it

Really what is there to say? Have you read cracked.com? No, go give it a try. Laugh a lot. This is like the website only expanded into longer takes at the subject matter. I looked up some of the things I never heard of and it seems to be right on the money with them. A friend sent me this one and I needed to laugh. This filled the bill. I laughed myself simple over several of them. They give you a title then riff off it, like the titular heading (Toxoplasmosis gondii and yes, it’s true. It’s one
Kelsey Dangelo-Worth
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A collection of random historical, scientific, psychological, religious, literary, pop cultural, and sociological facts in hilarious and engaging readable format. This time, unlike on their website, in tree form! Though not as quite as detailed as their articles on their website, still a great, brilliant, and fascinating read. Though I read their website an average of 15 hours a week, I still found new information to rock my brain and incessantly talk about to friends and acquaintances. Grade: A
Braxton
May 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: someone who hasn't read much of the website
Recommended to Braxton by: Cracked.com
I was a little bit disappointed in this book. I thought it was interesting and funny, much like the website that spawned it. My problem with it was that a lot of the lists were taken from the website, and of the lists written specifically for the book, three or four were put on the site to promote the book, so by the time I got to read the book, I had already read the majority of it. I would have been annoyed if I bought this book instead of checking it out from the library.
Bradley
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
There's not much of a difference between reading this book and reading the list articles on Cracked's website (although I found it a more pleasant read considering there was an ending in sight and I didn't get lost in an endless online "cracked hole." Like with the site's list articles, I wished something that was supposed to be humorous were funnier, but there were a few good zingers.
Jessica
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An extremely entertaining read throughout that was hard to put down. It even offered some insight as to why some people wear tinfoil hats and tissue box shoes... in fact, after reading this you might become one of those people.
Dale Pearl
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013, y2013-june
Comically well written
Easy read
Insightful
Non politically correct
Brilliantly intelligent

What more can a person say? If reading is for fact finding, intellectual growth, and for enjoyment then this book is for you.
Dustin Mullen
Mar 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Just like the site cracked.com, this book has many historical references that are beyond funny, it is a smooth read due to illustrations. It is a great book to read if you have a few hours to burn.
Justin
Dec 25, 2012 rated it liked it
It was a fun easy read, and fairly interesting. It would have received a better star rating if it wasn't for the language used. Not that there was a lot, but it got distracting.
Meghan McD
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a good book... basically like reading cracked.com in book form. :-)
V
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Many returns. Fourth time. Edit:and fifth time
Marla
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book. I enjoyed it a lot.
Kristi
May 01, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So, it probably helped that I listened to the audiobook rather than reading it, I think there would have been many facts that I would have skipped or at least skimmed over. I did like that they were all given in easily digestible groups of information. I really could have done without all the sexual innuendo, a bit here and there is fine for humor, but this seemed to appear at every chapter. It also didn't help that the writer/narrator assumed that the reader must be a heterosexual male as this ...more
Geoff Battle
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd never read any Cracked.com content on the net and this book was a recommendation from a colleague. There is a definitive style that the writers have, an ability to wrap up every single fact with humour. Some of it is witty, some taboo, some geeky (after all, they love the word 'fricking') and all of it hits the mark. The facts therein are well structured and interesting, some rather Americanised, however it's the pinnacle of edutainment - if you like to smile/grin/chuckle whilst you learn. A ...more

• Everything Is Going to Kill Everybody: The Terrifyingly Real Ways the World Wants You Dead
  • How to Fight Presidents: Defending Yourself Against the Badasses Who Ran This Country
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Omnibus, Vol. 2
  • A Brief History of Vice: How Bad Behavior Built Civilization
  • How to Behave Badly in Elizabethan England: A Guide for Knaves, Fools, Harlots, Cuckolds, Drunkards, Liars, Thieves, and Braggarts
  • Holly Banks Full of Angst (Village of Primm #1)
  • Lord Marksman and Vanadis Vol. 02
  • Dork Diaries Box Set (Books 1-6)
  • Lord Marksman and Vanadis Vol. 03
  • Christmas Treat Recipes: Delicious Christmas Cookies, Cakes, Pies, Candies, and Desserts (2017 Edition)
  • The Gathering (Shadow House, #1)
  • Dustbin Baby
  • Lola Rose
  • Professor Gargoyle (Tales from Lovecraft Middle School, #1)
  • Dork Diaries Books 7-9 (Dork Diaries #7-9)
  • Oreos: The Ultimate Recipe Guide - Delicious & Best Selling Recipes
  • The Haunting Hour: Chills in the Dead of Night
  • Personal Effects: Dark Art

News & Interviews

“Sure, at some level scientists know nanobots will destroy mankind. They just can't resist seeing how it happens.” 19 likes
“For refusing to collapse into an earth-devouring black hole under the force of its own staggering density, we dedicate this book to Theodore Roosevelt's left testicle.” 11 likes