Start by marking “Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?” as Want to Read:
Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?

Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?

(Zombie Apocalypse #1)

Inside these pages lies unspeakable horror. Bloodsplattering, brain-impaling, flesh-devouring horror. You’ve probably read your fair share of zombie stories. But this time it’s different. No longer can you sit idle as a bunch of fools make all the wrong moves. All hell is about to break loose—and YOU have a say in humanity’s survival.

You have choices to make.<
Published February 8th 2011 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?

World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 1 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
1,547 books — 4,237 voters
World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoA Plague Upon Your Family by Mark TufoFeed by Mira GrantThe End by Mark Tufo
Best Zombie Books
1,396 books — 2,966 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Beyond this page lies unspeakable horror. Bone-crunching, blood-splattering, brain-impaling horror—the horror of the zombie apocalypse.
Wrong.

I get it, I do. This isn't intended to be taken seriously at all. I mean, it's a choose-your-own-adventure about surviving a zombie apocalypse, for fuck's sakes. But I felt the introductory sentence was reaaaaaally overreaching. There is no unspeakable horror here. It's a whole lot of silliness, a whole lot of stupidity, and really...anyone who's read his or her fair share of zo
Lori
Zombies hit Manhattan while you are in the middle of a corporate company meeting. Quicker than you can blink an eye, they are everywhere. People are panicking. The streets are clogged. And you have to make a decision.

Do you:

(a) Hail a cab?
(b) Walk 12 blocks to the subway and head out to Brooklyn?
(c) Run to your apartment?

This is the moment where all those Zombie books and movies are supposed to mean something. How many times did you sit there, on t
Becky
May 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Zombie lovers
Before we start, a big thank you Max Brallier for sending me a signed copy of this book to review.

That out of the way, I can sum up this review in 5 words: "Yes, it is that awesome."

I love zombies, so when I saw 1) that such a thing as a zombie choose-your-adventure book existed, and 2) that I could get a signed copy to review, I jumped ALL over that! And I'm thrilled that I did. This book is fantastic, cover to cover. Speaking of the cover, it is great. I love the vintage look it has, as if i
Gianfranco Mancini

A funny "Choose your own adventure" game-book set in the start of a zombie apocalypse, main character sometimes reminded me Big Bang Theory's Howard Wolowitz (in the going back to your apartment path he/you has a funny phone call with his mom and load his bag with beers, videogames and Hustler magazines...) and the pop culture/movie references were a blast, but often things just have no sense here: the world is blowing up, zombies are everywhere and you go to a strip-club?

That and the Comic-Con
Sue Moro
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I survived two readings of this book making different choices each time! Watching The Walking Dead payed off! I felt a bit like a kid again reading a choose your own adventure.
Jasmine
Feb 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: american
okay I'm labeling this book as american cause it seemed american and I'm too lazy to put any effort into actually checking.

well I've been having some serious trouble committing to books recently. I mean I love them and I keep wanting to commit them but there are so many and the all look so fun. But I read 20 pages and then I get distracted, or then I get busy, and I can't fucking keep up.

the solution to this ZOMBIES. no not really as established I could really give a crap about zombies. But th
Amber Carson
Feb 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Choose your adventure style book + Adult themes + Zombies = FREAKIN AWESOME!!

In Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse? By Max Brallier You will die over and over and have more fun doing it that you ever thought possible! (Side note- to avoid embarrassing public outburst of laughing out loud and/or cussing when you die, DO NOT read this book in public places)
You and all your friends could read this book and all have different outcomes or endings, your ending will depend on the choice
Bryan
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, horror
A pretty interesting book, but definitely a novelty item. It is pretty grim and gruesome in places, but it's not scary. What the book actually strives to do is serve as an homage to the "geek" side of zombie fandom. (You know... the ones who do more than just watch an occasional zombie movie...)

With that ambition to fulfil, the book does really well as a tribute. There are many references to zombie pop-culture throughout this book. The only time the book seems to go too far into "fan
Shesten Melder
Apr 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, paperback
Plot Sketch: This is a choose-your-own-adventure style book for adults wherein you are a 25-year old male professional working in Manhattan when all of the sudden Mount Sinai is all of the sudden bursting with flesh-eating, blood-spurting zombies and now you get to make choices in the reading to see where they take you.

Verdict: This book is going to be fantastic for later-teen and adultswho males. But since it's true to its second-person narration - the only style that really works f
Sesana
So you want to write a Choose Your Own Adventure book for grown-ups. Obviously it's going to have a zombie apocalypse theme, right? Of course right!

I have always loved CYOA books. Always. I still make a tiny pile of bookmarks so I can explore every single choice in the whole book and die in as many horrible ways as possible. And I have to say, the choices here are pretty good, and they play fair. Here's a hypothetical example: you are given the choice between getting on a bus out of town or tak
Autumn Moon
Apr 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Can I survive the zombie apocalypse? Well according to the average outcome from my choices while reading this little gem...umm no apparently I can't, unless I team up with a ninja stripper and hide behind her feathered g-string.
This book is the adult version of all those Choose Your Own Adventure books we read and loved in childhood. Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse is the very definition of a fun read. It's a great way to pass some time while waiting in the doctors office. Each adven
Linda
Jun 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wow, I must say this was surprisingly thrilling. I guess the difference between this and other books makes it more exciting. You are the main character. It's all about your choices. I didn't make it the first time around, before eventually I survived. Luckily, humans seem to have as many lives as they want to. Too bad the book wasn't more than 384 pages. It comes off as short, considering you make choices and therefore skip chapters and don't read half of it.

To be able to control the outcome of
Mehsi
4.5 stars! This is quite the original, creative book.

You have choices to make now - lots of them. Moral dilemmas. Strategic decisions. Weapons. Vehicles. Will you be a hero? Or will you cover your own ass at all costs? Will you survive the coming hours, days, weeks, and months? Or will you die amidst the chaos and violence of a zombie uprising?
Or worse of all, will you become one of them...?
The choice is yours. And hey, if you don't make it - you've got no one to blame but/>
Rei
Jul 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on
SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

Following the sad trend of cheesy zombies, this book, along with many of today's zombie-related literature and film, makes zombies seem like a made-for-kids genre, rather than an adult, grotesque, and frightening one.

I grew up watching zombie films and other horror films and thus have a high standard of what is scary. When I was younger, zombies were absolutely horrifying and disturbing. Now they are the latest novelty filled with "cheesiness". Zombies ar
Peep (Pop! Pop!)
Remember those Choose Your Own Adventure (CYOA) books from when you were a kid? Yeah, I don't either. I was like 1 years old when they came out. *snorts* (yeah right). If I had to guess at what they were, again - I was probably too young to know what they were, I'd say they were books where you starred as the main character and you got to choose what you could do next. Your outcome could either be good or bad, based upon your decisions.

When I first started this one, I didn't realize
Joseph
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I got this book from a good friend of mine for my birthday a while back and have been too busy to read it.
But, I've got the day off and I figured, why not?

In this book You are a 25 year old male living in New York with a crappy job and an even crappier apartment with your day to day life being mundane and normal; but today theres a spanner in the works, by spanner I mean zombies.
So as you can tell from the title of this book, you need to use you wit, cunning and overall y
Lexie
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
If you're going to stick the word 'Zombie' into a title, and then leave it up to the (let's face it, confused and unfortunate) masses to save themselves, don't make the endings wimptastic.

The basic endings breakdown in this:
30 Bad Ends: meaning you either die or become a zombie
10 Good Ends: You somehow manage to live relatively content
8 Questionable Ends: You survive, possibly, but the future looks bad
1 The End: The 'True' ending to the book

This book is grues
Brad
Mar 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
Can You Survive the Zombie Apocolypse? is by no means a good book, and I won't even try to glorify it in any way. What I expected when I bought this was that I was about to be in for a tailor made experience filled with many opportunities to exercise my choices. What I got was a couple of quirky choices, and an overall storyline experience that was far too short for my liking. One of the most dissapointing things I found about this book was the absolute disregard for your choices. You are forced ...more
Terry
Feb 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gaming, zombies, gamebook
Quick! The zombies are getting close! Do you try to reload the rifle or pick up the morning star? Hop in a taxi or run for the subway? Duck into Nintendo’s Comic Con booth or hope the Lucasfilm hallway leads to an exit? These are the choices you must make in Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?, a gamebook by Max Brallier, a game writer for Poptropica.com.

The main character is a male 25-year-old New Yorker with a crappy apartment, a crappy job and – frankly – a crappy life. In many
Amanda Lyons
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Choose Your Own Adventure books were a pretty fun part of my early reading experience and this was no exception. What makes a great Choose your own book? A wide variety of endings, possible story lines and great characters to run into along the way. You'll find all of that in Brallier's zombie book making it one of my favorite of this book type.

I don't want to delve too deep into the sort of adventures you're going to have here (after all that's probably one of the more appealing as
Kat
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: udate, zombie
Do you remember the Choose Your Own Adventure books from your childhood/teenage years? They were amongst some of the most popular books in the library when I was in Primary School....all the cool kids had one!

So when I stumbled across this book I had to have it. Now. Right now. And thanks to the magical power of Amazon, I could have it almost now.

This isn't really a book I can review in great detail because, well the ending is different depending on the path you choose! T
Steve Chaput
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Max Brallier actually made a 'choose your own adventure' book interesting and fun. I can only remember reading one other book of this type years ago and got annoyed enough to quit it after getting 'killed' several times. Brallier makes the story interesting and far more than just a different take on zombie novels. The great thing is how different choices will lead to a very different sort of feel. Why some choices are straight horror and action, others are quite humorous. I don't want to give an ...more
Apr 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: para-zombies
Why read: An adult zombie choose your own adventure sounded amazing.

What impressed me: More often than not, the situations in this book felt realistic. Nothing was innovative, with most decisions being those zombie fans have already seen numerous times in movies. But that was part of the fun, getting to make the choices you've seen before for yourself, instead of just thinking the movie characters were some sort of idiots.

What disappointed me: The short answer is no. You
Joe
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was a lot of fun to read. I don't think I have had this much fun reading a book in a very long time. Max Brallier takes you on a survival adventure that rivals many great zombie movies. The choose-your-own-adventure style for a zombie survival book made me feel like this style was created just for this type of book. You are literally right in the middle of all the action. Brallier takes you in so many different directions that are completely unpredictable and sometimes ridiculous (in a ...more
Kaylinn Stormo
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
It was fun but the main guy is a total Dude-bro.
Amanda Davidson
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
It is a super fun read, but was definitely written by a man, with a guy's perspective, which got very obnoxious at times.
David
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Great fun, I lived and died a number of times. The George Romero ending was especially well conceived.
Thomas
May 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, horror, e-book
You're in your mid-forties, with fond memories of the Choose Your Own Adventure books. You especially liked the horror titles (you have fond memories of The Mystery of Chimney Rock), so when you discovered that someone had written and published an adult CYOA book, written around a zombie apocalypse, of course you had to buy it. You figure the author and publisher were counting on it.

The thing is, you still want to read a good story. That's what you liked about the CYOA books to begin
Lissa
I love zombies. And, at least as I kid, I loved "choose your own adventure" books. So I thought that this would be a match made in heaven for me.

Nope.

I didn't read the entire book (it's a choose your own adventure type, and since some of the choices were things that I would never do, I didn't really feel the urge to follow the paths that I wouldn't take), but I took several "tracks." At the end of my first, I was told that I was a cold-hearted monster. Cool. ;)

*Suzy (ereaderuser)*
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
I don't remember having read any of the Choose Your Own Adventure books as a kid. Maybe that's why I enjoyed this book so much. What a fun read! In just one night's sitting I died once, played a hero and saved a bunch of people, and survived an encounter with countless undead and was awaiting rescue. I couldn't wait to get to the point in the story where I would decide what I was going to do next. For the most part the decisions were easy for me. What would I do in real life? Sometimes I faced t ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Zombie Apocalypse! (Zombie Apocalypse, #1)
  • Zombie CSU
  • Zombies: A Field Guide to the Walking Dead
  • A Zombie Apocalypse (A Zombie Apocalypse, #1)
  • Every Sigh, the End
  • After Life
  • Book of the Dead: The Complete History of Zombie Cinema
  • The War of the Worlds: H.G. Wells's Classic Plus Blood, Guts and Zombies
  • Empire (Empire #1)
MAX BRALLIER is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of more than thirty books for children and adults, including the middle-grade monster-zombie series The Last Kids on Earth.

Under the pen name Jack Chabert, he is the author and creator of the Eerie Elementary series and authored the New York Times bestselling Poptropica: Vol 1: Mystery of the Map.

Max is als

Zombie Apocalypse (2 books)
  • Highway to Hell