Start by marking “Her Way: The Hopes and Ambitions of Hillary Rodham Clinton” as Want to Read:
Her Way: The Hopes and Ambitions of Hillary Rodham Clinton

Her Way: The Hopes and Ambitions of Hillary Rodham Clinton

She is one of the most influential and recognizable figures in our country, perhaps the single most divisive individual in our political landscape. She is the subject of both hagiography and vitriolic smear jobs. But although dozens of books have been written about her, none of them have come close to uncovering the real Hillary-- personal, political, in all her complicati ...more
Published June 19th 2007 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Her Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Way

Start your review of Her Way: The Hopes and Ambitions of Hillary Rodham Clinton
Lobstergirl
Sep 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Corgis
Shelves: own, biography

I know someone, a very liberal Democrat, who refused to consider Hillary Clinton for president in 2008. "Not another Clinton," she moaned. "Haven't we had enough of the Clintons? It just seems like they've been around...forever!" Shortly after, she went to work at the State Department. And became a big fan of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

This book was published in 2007, while Hillary and Barack and all the other Dems were duking it out in the primaries and caucuses.

Scott Rhee
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I’m stating upfront in this review that I am voting for Hillary in November. Clearly, if I had my druthers, I would prefer to be voting for Bernie Sanders, but that’s obviously not going to happen. While I like some of the third party candidates, I will not vote a third party because voting for third parties, in this country, is throwing a vote away. It will also help only in increasing the chances of Donald Trump taking the presidency, and that can never happen.

I could be like milli
Simon
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Just not good. I am not a HRC fan, but this book's attempt to present itself as a "neutral" examination of her career was just silly. The tone of the book is bitchy (and the writing is grindingly bad). The book was pretty obviously an effort to derail her presidential ambitions in 2008. Now that she is reappearing as the potential candidate of the Democratic party in 2016, I am interested in reading about her. This book did very little to answer questions about Mrs. Clinton's fitness to be Presi ...more
Peter Clothier
Dec 04, 2012 rated it liked it
.... Her Way: The Hopes and Ambitions of Hillary Rodham Clinton, an unauthorized biography by Jeff Gerth and John Van Natta Jr., both investigative reporters for the New York Times. As is so often the case, I'm a late-comer to the book, which was published in 2008, before the results of that year's presidential election were known---before, even, Barack Obama became the Democratic nominee. It is still widely assumed in many quarters that Hillary is a show-in for the presidency.

Old ne
Ken Ransom
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
In the first part of this month I read an Op Ed piece by Jeff Gerth about Hillary Clinton having her own email server, rather than using the government one that a Secretary of State would be expected to use.

Jeff Gerth is no stranger to executive-branch scandals. He covered Whitewater when he was a reporter for the New York Times, and his co-author, Don Van Natta Jr., is an investigative journalist for the Times who did quite a bit of reporting about Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky.

Her Way was wr/>Her
Erin
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Conflicted. It's the only name I can give for how I felt throughout the entire reading of this book. A neutral portrayal of a complex woman. At once an incredibly intelligent and effective political actor in her own right, and yet questionable in terms of the ethics or integrity of her methods. I constantly found myself empathizing with Hillary Clinton on one page only to be dissapointed with her on the next. In an election where the success of the Republican candidate threatens to unravel the t ...more
Liz Wood
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought-provoking

2015 has seen a re-emergence of Hillory's drive for the presidency. Of all candidates she is supremely qualified, but she is also very guarded. I hope she can find a way to open herself more to people in general, changing the view that she is cold and unfeeling. This book provides a snapshot of her political developments, but I'm not convinced that the view presented is not slanted.
Marcel
Oct 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
My girlfriend presented this book to me, and I shrugged my shoulders and declared that I am not interested in Hillary Clinton. That would have ended the matter except that there was nothing at all good on television and I had made the mistake of separating myself from my current read. Thus, I soon began reading. This is a real page turner!

First off, this book is written by investigative reporters, not someone with an ax to grind or a political outlook to defend or castigate. This poi
Martine
May 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Hillary Clinton is a fascinating person and reading about her was very interesting. My only problems with this book were that a lot of it is not devoted to Hillary herself but to her image and that it isn't until the last few pages that the authors really give a balanced view of Hillary. Before that, it's rather negative and everything is explained as a calculated response by Hillary to get the presidency. Though the book makes a real effort to be factual, in those two points the authors' bias d ...more
Rosemary
Jan 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A friend who is also struggling with which Democrat to support for presidential nomination gave me this book. As for all books of this type, it refelcts the biases of the authors. As journalists, they do not like Hiulklary's secretiveness. Confirms that she is very smart, hard working, committed and capable of getting things done. Casts doubt for me on teamwork and transparancy. Of course it is so sad that there does not appear to be anyone in US political arena at this elvel who are clearly above so ...more
Christine
Jul 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: my mother
So far this is a really impressive read---I feel more moved by Hillary now. She reminds me of my mother (same feminist glasses in the old photos). Way to go mom!!

The critical, detached stance of this book makes it possible to not doubt the positive qualities of Hillary. I'm very moved.

Now that I've finished, I would say this is a good perspective on Hillary---objective enough to be balanced. Quite a look at what can happen to idealism when someone tries to live within thi
Laurie Mcclary
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
It was interesting to read about Hilliary, parts of it got long and tiresome, but overall interesting. She has made some mistakes along the way and has not always chosen the higher path (which is no different then the rest of us) but she is a hard worker and very intelligent. The book did me help me to understand why she did not leave Bill when he had his affair with Monica Lewinsky in the White House. I was fascinated to learn that Eleanor Roosevelt is her hero and how she depends on her faith. ...more
Matt
Apr 19, 2015 rated it liked it
A breezy bio of Hillary Clinton, written by investigative journalists without access to Clinton or her inner circle, which leads to A LOT of quotations from her memoir. Much of it is written as an attempt to serve as a corrective against Clinton's own telling of her story. In some ways this is good, but it leads to a lot of fact-checking and nit-picking that doesn't always seem worth it. Good for an overview of Clinton's career up until the 2008 election, but that's about it.
Steve
Feb 21, 2008 rated it liked it
A decent read. As someone who frequently criticizes Senator Clinton, I actually slightly changed my opinion of her after reading this biography. Although she is corrupt, power-hungry and said to be difficult to work for, she is a woman of great accomplishment.

Overall, I felt this was a rather fair portrait of Mrs. Clinton. There are several negative books about her, but this one definitely highlighted her accomplishments along with the scandals.
Kristina
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this to be a fair, critical assessment of HRC. It confirmed for me that she has always stoked a genuine passion for civil rights and social justice, but also a hyperfocus on "winning" the long game in politics that has led to many mistakes and a too-guarded public image, ultimately creating a flawed presidential candidate that the American public disliked and distrusted.
Nancy
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this book a fairly objective look at Hillary Clinton. Granted, she is not perfect and has some character flaws (who doesn't?). But it's also an interesting look at how a modern woman of the Boomer generation perceives how women are treated in this country and how they respond. Good reading and well worth your time before the election.
Cb Sellen
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Do I feel as though I know more about Hilary Clinton? Yes. Do I understand her? No. For any person to get anywhere in politics, it seems to me that a very strong ego is a necessity, and that comes through with her insistence that her name be attached to legislation, her twenty year plan with her husband, and her staying with him as he womanizes.
Angelina Justice
Sep 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Like the woman, the autobiography is a little bit stiff at times and very "political" in the content revealed. Yet it also gave suprising insights into her thoughts and emotions outside of the political arena. I listened to this on cassette and was surprised when my then 10 year old daughter listened along.
Aaron Meier
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Admittedly this book was published prior to 2008, so it's out of date, but I'd been hoping for a bit more insight into who she was.

The early stuff of her growing up and meeting Bill was interesting, but after the move to Arkansas, it became rehash of previously published reports and and nothing incredibly insightful.
Joseph
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Overall, I found this book enlightening and valuable. It put many events into perspective and filled in the blanks. There were segments that seemed to be dominated by one author in style and tone. Nevertheless, I recommend it.
Lisa
Jul 31, 2007 added it
I started this book but couldn't quite get into it before it was due back to the library. Being that I truly admire Hillary and am all for her in 2008, I will keep this on my list of books to read and hopefully come back to it one day.
Theo
Aug 09, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: politics
Ouch! This unauthorized biography focusing on the aspirations of Hillary Clinton attempts to present itself as neutral toward Hillary. Painfully cruel w/each paragraph's attempt to make her look cold, calculating and insincere.Not worth the read.
Deborah
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting to understand her drive and ambition and understand her reasoning for not abandoning her husband after his well documented affair. A bit drawn out with the processes involved in his attempted impeachment
Noelle
Oct 07, 2009 added it
You read of her early formative years and how she was already closely involved in politics during her high school years. You read about how she met Clinton and I was amazed at how similar both of them are wrt to their political ambitions and interests and intellect. I enjoyed reading it.
Kaytrina
Sep 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Hillary fans!!!!!!!!No one who hates her{obviously out of ignorance!}
Recommended to Kaytrina by: nobody.
I am learning about the woman who I admire most,who,I know could do great things if she was president.
Shirley
Feb 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Despite the controversies, this is one utterly remarkable individual of strength, ambition and determination. What an extraordinary life.
Jamie
Sep 25, 2011 rated it liked it
I don't agree with everything she believes, but hopefully, I can learn from her ambitions.
Tazma52
Jun 09, 2009 rated it liked it
If you are into Hillary Clinton I found this book quite interesting I definitely found it easy to read and learned a lot of things about her.
David Vanness
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-have
Excellant expos`e---now to read her authored copy of 'HER WAY'. ...more
Kristine
Jun 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
i actually really enjoyed learning about the clintons (the good and the bad) in as much of an unbiased was as possible. the authors are investigative reporters and i thought they did a great job.

• My Life, Volume I: The Early Years
  • Sound of Thunder (Courtney #2)
  • Birds of Prey (Courtney #9)
  • Michael Jordan: The Life
  • Just Cool It!: The Climate Crisis and What We Can Do - A Post-Paris Agreement Game Plan
  • The Mind Within the Brain: How We Make Decisions and How Those Decisions Go Wrong
  • The Darkening Age: The Christian Destruction of the Classical World
  • Ponting: At The Close Of Play
  • Men at Work: Australia’s Parenthood Trap (Quarterly Essay #75)
  • Dynasty: The Rise and Fall of the House of Caesar
  • انحراف انقلاب: اعلامیه ۱۲ شهریور ۱۳۵۹ سید ابوالفضل موسوی مجتهد زنجانی
  • در کوچه باغ های نشابور
  • حجاب شرعی در عصر پیامبر
  • عالیجناب سرخپوش و عالیجنابان خاکستری
  • American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War On America
  • Fellow Travelers
  • Running on Empty: How the Democratic and Republican Parties Are Bankrupting Our Future and What Americans Can Do about It
  • The Argument: Billionaires, Bloggers, and the Battle to Remake DemocraticPolitics
  • An African American and Latinx History of the United States
  • Empire: How Britain Made the Modern World
  • Das Leben gestalten mit den Big Five for Life: Das Abenteuer geht weiter (The Big Five for Life 2)
  • Marketing: Real People, Real Choices
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
  • Dinosaurs Rediscovered: The Scientific Revolution in Paleontology
  • On Natural Selection
  • The Big Five for Life
  • Practical Emotional Intelligence & The Enneagram Of Personality 2 In 1: Why EQ And Personality Types Will Help You To Grow And Develop In Ways You May Not Have Ever Considered
  • Psychic: Psychic Development for Beginners: A Clear and Concise Guide on How to Allow and Naturally Develop Your Intuition and Psychic Abilities (Psychic ... Psychic Dreams, Psychic Development)
  • Bed of Roses (Bride Quartet, #2)
  • Devil in a Blue Dress (Easy Rawlins, #1)