Start by marking “Good to Go: A Guide to Preparing for the End of Life” as Want to Read:
Good to Go: A Guide to Preparing for the End of Life

Good to Go: A Guide to Preparing for the End of Life

One of the few things in life that’s certain is death—and here’s a realistic, practical, and even humorous book about preparing for it. From cremation ("Making an Ash of Yourself") to funeral plans (“Plan and Plot Your Own Demise”) to choosing executors and dealing with family relationships, media figure Jo Myers covers it all.  It’s sure to appeal to boomers caring for ag ...more
Published July 6th 2010 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about Good to Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good to Go

Kate McCarthy
Sep 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
With the recent passing of my grandfather, I was finally motivated to learn more about how to plan for end of life care and death. While this book succeeds in providing such information in an approachable way, it is perhaps too casual. It reads like as if it is a letter to a friend without the benefit of a gifted editor to help sort out the bits that are unnecessary tongue wagging, complaints about family grudges, the occasional sexist comment, or advising against the purposeless alphabetical ch ...more
D
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Useful guide for thinking through end-of-life decisions.

Death happens. A good plan helps it happen with fairness, dignity and integrity.

Survivors have a better chance at a happy ending if parents make their wishes known, if they meet with family members as a tight-knit unit, if they have exit plans, and if they leave simple written instructions -- even if the instructions are scribbled on a cocktail napkin!

Middle-aged offspring may act like children when mommy and daddy leave them alone... toget
Senior Seniortopia
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book we recommend heartily for its humorous yet "deadly" serious advice on preparing for the event that will eventually overtake us all. We particularly liked the advice on not involving spouses of children in decisions about parental last wishes; cremation; practice exercises; taking away driving privileges; powers of attorney; hospice; how to help someone dealing with serious illness.

Very accessible and it has an index so you can look up topics of interest.

Gerry
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting book about things everyone should know about preparing for death to make things easier for those who have to deal with your estate.
Naomi
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dying, caregiving
One of the challenges to caregivers and to people who are dying is just how disorienting and confusing the things are that we need to do to prepare - indicating disposal of what we own, clearing up our debts, deciding what do with the remains, and, always, handling relationships under tension in the best ways we can. Death and dying can bring out the worst in people, both survivors fighting with each other and the dying making hard demands and painful or impossible requests. Myers makes an appea ...more
Julie  Capell
I am 53 years old, not that old, but old enough to start thinking about the next stage of life. A friend recommended this book to me. I thought I would read it and then pass it on to other friends. But no, I want to hang onto this book. Written in a very accessible manner, it covers all kinds of end-of-life topics, from how cremation works to picking out songs for a funeral to how to get along with your siblings when dealing with the death of a parent. Simply an excellent guide to the end of lif ...more
Ellen Taylor
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Read this book in one day! Arranged alphabetically (a librarian's dream), it covered many familiar and not-so-familiar aspects of dying and the journey getting there, as well as its aftermath for the survivors. Assuming I'll be the latter for the next few years, I found many practical suggestions from Jo Myers' real-life experiences as the daughter, sister, and friend of the deceased, and how she handled those events. I will be passing this book to my sisters for the eventuality of our dad's dem ...more
Jessica
Jul 12, 2012 rated it liked it
I read this book because the author was coming to our church to talk. Otherwise, I would never have picked it up. However, I'm glad I did. There was a lot of useful information, it was written as entertaininly as possible, and it got me thinking about a lot of things . . . a lot of things I'd rather not think about, to be honest. The book is not only written for those getting closer to death, but for everyone -- because we'll all be facing it someday!
Dereka
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Friends have recommended a different book on the same subject called "The Other Talk" so when I saw this one at the library I picked it up. Did not finish! Did not like! Don't think that is because I am afraid of the subject-- think it is because one chapter was called "put the fun back in funeral"! Now I will get the book I intended to read in the first place.
Fiona
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book gives an insight of the potential stress that are put upon the survivors when one dies. Preplanning for the end of life is very important not only for oneself but also for their family and friends. This books is a must read, the author gives a lot of advices through her own experience in a fun, witty and humorous way.
Kathy
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: loaned-out
I enjoyed this book. Lots of antedotes on the dying process. Good food for thought. Picked up some ideas for handling my parents affairs when they are gone.

Loaned to Carrie 2.3.13
Christy Olesen
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Christy by: Bas Bleu
Highly recommend for anyone facing a loved one's end of life. A great help in planning one's own arrangements. Helpful insight told in a compassionate and light hearted way.
Kitty Tomlinson
Jul 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Practical and helpful book for preparing for death.
Kayne
May 30, 2015 rated it liked it
It's a quick read and has some decent advice. Not heavy reading, considering the subject matter.
Marcia
Sep 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Informative.
Patricia Eichenlaub
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great information delivered in a readable way!
Jo Ann
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Good book on preparing for one's, and other's, deaths. My husband is also reading this, and I think it will be an important jumping off place for good discussions between us.
Eileen Mcclellan
Oct 20, 2012 rated it liked it

This book didn't quite live up to my expectations. It gave a few useful hints, but I was expecting more.
Stefanie Lindeman