Start by marking “The Dark End of the Street” as Want to Read:
The Dark End of the Street

The Dark End of the Street

3.09  ·  Rating details ·  128 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
In one fast-paced story, a strong and aggravated man considers the pretty woman at the bar while he fingers the knife in his pocket. But what becomes of his prey when they move to the bedroom? In another tale, a man remembers the victim of a ghastly murder who visited the same hair salon as he does. And a Don Juan of a protagonist has a hobby of marrying vulnerable women, ...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark End of the Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark End of the Street

Jim
I bought this so I could read one story, the one by Michael Connelly since it is part of the Harry Bosch Universe. The rest are just icing on the cake.

Table of Contents:
Introduction by S.J. Rozan was very short, something I appreciate. Santlofer & Rozan told the authors to give them stories with sex &/or crime. Go!

Dragon's breath by Madison Smartt Bell was tawdry & sad. I didn't like it at all at first. After thinking about it a while, I decided I really hate the message & that's
Kathryn
Jul 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book from First Reads and have really enjoyed it! Many of the stories have a twist such as "Me & Mr. Rafferty." My favorite story is "The Hereditary Thurifer" by Stephen L. Carter. It is longer than some of the others and very detailed. I really did not catch on until the very end of the story! This book would be great to take along on a trip...

Thom (T.E.)
Not at all an intense can-you-top-this collection (as were some of the "Hot Blood" series of story collections where sex was mixed with horror). But I enjoyed this book--almost in spite of itself--for its variety of authors.

Some of the pieces were underdeveloped piffle; others were solid and imaginative. Yet the book stood on its own, because the pair of editors handled the range of authorial voices like a well-focused conductor with an all-star orchestra.

This isn't a great anthology--but it am
Matt
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mickey Haller is back in this great short story about the sly antics of a recently punished lawyer.

When Haller meets his client at her place of work, all seems on the up and up. Add to the mix that she's an exotic dance that Haller wants more than anything, and the lawyer-client relationship might be a little blurry. Still, he wants to do his best and so he forges ahead to get her case dropped and any arrest record expunged. It will take a lot, but Haller's up for the task. Citing statutes and i
Athena
Jul 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
The Dark End of the Street is a good collection of short stories. Some of them are dark and bloody, while others are almost innocent and fluffy. Several of them had me hooked and I had to stay up a few minutes late just to finish reading. My favorite is probably the last: The Creative Writing Murders by Edmund White. Like some of the other stories, it is unclear until the end what is going on and where the characters are headed.
I won a copy through First Reads.
Rick Parsons
A strange series of short stories, a few good ones, but mostly not.
Lena Tumasyan
This collection definitely had some hits, but also some flops. From the title, I was looking forward to reading some dirty, flirty, naughty, and criminal stories. Some were, others not so much.

Some hits were:

ME and Mr Rafferty - short, sweet, and BADASS ending.

Perfect Triangle - about sex, crime, and strippers.

Midnight Stalking was fabulous, about sex and crime in 1939 (perfectly matches title of book).

The Salon - dirty and bad, in a good way.

Creative Writing Murders - deliciously sinister,
Raney Simmon
To view on Vook: Books + Video Games: https://vookthevook.wordpress.com/201...

This collection of stories was an okay read. I enjoyed reading these stories because none of them were too complex for me to understand what was happening.

Each story told from a different perspective, this collection of stories about crime and sex were very intriguing. I found them to be enjoyable because I wasn’t sure what to expect. As someone who enjoys reading fictional stories about crime, I found these to be int
Steve
Jul 11, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some ideas sound good if you don't examine them too closely, and this book is one of them, sort of like the Edsel. Editors/contributors Jonathan Santlofer and S.J. Rozan invited several crime writers and an equal number of literary authors to contribute stories about crime and sex. Santlover also contributes drawings that often have nothing to do with the stories they accompany.

Many of the crime writers seem to think they have to write above themselves, and the literary writers seem to think the
Diann Blakely
"Night Falls in the South," we might term a pair of stories from DARK END OF THE STREET, since the anthology, comprised of specially commissioned pieces, contains contributions by Madison Smartt Bell and the honorary Southerner Amy Hempel. "Greed" was her first chance to work with a murder plot, Hempel reports; but why the "Southern" label? First, we love to shoot, poison, and choke each other, and second, she has spent a considerable amount of time on the faculty of the Sewanee Writers’ Confere ...more
Alexia561
Anthologies are a favorite of mine, as I love discovering new authors and revisiting old favorites! With a collection, there's no buyer's remorse when you realize you don't really care for the book. If you don't like a particular story in an anthology, you just move on to the next one. It's like a literary buffet!

Have to admit that sex and crime aren't my usual genres, but because this is an anthology (mainly because Lee Child is one of the authors) I was happy to be given a chance to review thi
Caitlin
May 02, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
This anthology starts with a great idea - get authors at the top of their game from different genres to write a story combining sex and crime. Shouldn't be too hard, right? It seems like lots of really good crime stories have sex at their center - that or money are the classic motives. There are some good writers in here, too - Stephen L. Carter, Lee Child, Michael Connelly, Laura Lippman, Val McDermid, Edmund White - seemed like a safe bet.

Unfortunately the collection is pretty uneven with most
Poietes
Jun 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dark End of the Street is a collection of short stories featuring the work of Lee Child, Joyce Carol Oates, Amy Hempel, Michael Connelly, and many others.

Edited by Jonathan Santlofer and S. J. Rozan, this book includes nineteen stories that take a new look at the old themes of sex and crime, violence and darkness. The stories feature serial killers, characters who fancy themselves killers, wives who have been wronged, cruel sadists, and characters who are just plain pitiable. A few stories r
Alison Hardtmann
Like any collection where the stories have been solicited rather than pulled from already published works, the quality is uneven, with a few feeling uninspired and written at the last minute and others being memorable. Oddly, the best stories in the book were grouped at the back, and included Joyce Carol Oates, who writes about how a girl witnesses how the retelling of an incident in the life of her mother changes over time and who is doing the telling, and Edmund White, whose story involves the ...more
Stephen Heverin
I received this as an advanced reading copy. It was something in an area I don't typically read, but it seemed interesting so I figured I would give it a try. It is a collection of short stories in the crime/sex. Overall, the collection of stories were good - some better than others. There were only two stories in the collection which I did not like, "Dragon's Breath" and "Toytown Assorted". In fact the 2nd of those stories I had to fight my way to get through it. "Dragon's Breath" was the lead ...more
Brittiany
Jun 07, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, 2010
I am always excited to read first-reads books, however I have mixed reviews on this book. The stories were short, perfect for breaks or waiting in the doctor's office, which I really liked. I think the concept was pretty good, giving the authors free-range to write as they wished.

Several of the stories I really liked and then there were a couple I did not. One in particular really ruined the book for me. I was almost afraid to even read beyond it for fear there would be other stories as distaste
Ashley
I was so hoping to like this book more than I did; it seemed like something I would love.

I've never been a huge fan of short stories - I've always feel like they're... stilborn. They seem to be more focused on making a story to fit their ending that twists at the last minute (surprise!); the overall story is neglected in favor of the gimmick. The endings may be interesting, but the actual story falls flat and feels incongruous.

And this may be more of a reflection on me, but I didn't consider the
Cynthia
Jul 16, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This is a collection of short stories whose themes revolve around sex, crime or both. Typically, I don't enjoy short stories, not enough to sink my teeth into, but I had hopes that the short story would lend itself nicely to the subject matter.

Each story was written by a different author. At first, that seemed to be a good thing. The end of each story heralded the start of another, different author with hope that the next one will be worth the time to read. In most instances, I was disappointed.
Ronald Roseborough
Jun 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, murder, sex, crime
This is a collection of mystery stories from some of today's best writers. The theme of the stories revolves around sex and crime. The authors were allowed to run with this theme and some very different stories emerged. Some of the authors present us with story lines that at first seem very familiar, but hold onto your hat because the ride has just begun. By the end of the story we are in an entirely different ballpark, wondering how we got there. Some of the stories are outright violent or sexy ...more
Billjr13
Jun 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Just got this in the mail this morning, I am looking forward to starting it tonight.
Sorry it took so long to review this book, life gets in the way sometimes.
I really enjoyed this book. I am not usually a short story reader but several of these tales have great twists and turns that kept me guessing right up to the end of the story. Most of these are really well written some by some very well know authors. They are pretty intense and fairly graphic (sex and violence, yep as promised) without be
Aug 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
"When we proposed this book to writers from both banks of the stream dividing crime writing and literary writing, we thought we had a particularly alluring idea. Write your heart out on the twin subjects of sex and crime. Define each however you want, take any approach you like. What writer could resist?"
And indeed what reader? I enjoyed reading this compliation of short stories. Some of them were much, much better than others. But, the whole point of a collection like this is that there is som
Kim
May 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book on goodreads today. I'm looking forward to receiving it. Thank you so very much... I just received this book and I'm looking forward to starting to read it. Thankyou again
I really enjoyed this book.
At the beginning I was unsure about it and then as I continued reading I found myself fascinated with the twist and turns all these short sories took. I also enjoyed reading one story and feeling Ah it's alright to reading the next and being in awe feeling WOW, really.
Dana Westcott
May 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Becky McFarlane
Jul 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I won from Goodreads. Normally I am not much for short stories, but this book was an exception. The stories were collected from various authors and included brand new fiction by:

Madison Smart Bell * Lawrence Block * Stephen L. Carter * Lee Child * Michael Connelly * Lynn Freed * James Grady * Amy Hempel * Janice Y.K. Lee * Jonathan Lethem * Laura Lippman * Patrick McCabe * Val McDermid * Joyce Carol Oates * Francine Prose * Abraham Rodriguez, Jr. * S.J. Rozan * Jonathan Santlofer
May 28, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed in this collection of short stories. I picked it up so I could read some stories while reading other books. Some stories had predictable plot twists. Other stories seemed to be written purely for the gratuitous sex and violence. I normally use this kind of collection as an introduction to new authors. However, I will not be seeking out any of these authors based on their short stories.
Jason
May 31, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: most adults
Recommended to Jason by: goodreads first reads
The Dark End of the Street is a collection of short stories with a theme of sex and crime.

Full disclosure - I received this book free from the goodreads first read program.

There were stories I liked, stories I didn't like, stories that captivated, stories that made me think. All in all, I thought it was a good read, not something that you'll sit and read cover to cover at one time, but a good collection of stories nonetheless.
Pam
May 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jill Marquis
I love that goodreads supports my reading addiction with periodically providing me free books.

Alright, I finally finished this. Even though I love collections of short stories, it's much easier to stall. Anyway, I really enjoyed this collection. Some weren't great, some were wonderful and truly surprising. great for mystery lovers.

Jill, I'm mailing this to you later this week.
Georgiann Hennelly
This is a fabulous collection of mystery stories by some of todays best writers. The themes revolve around crime and sex. Some of the stories are out right violent or very sexy some are very explicit, murder , identity theft, bondage, bigamy, and swindling all come into play to make this a fantastic read.
Craig Sisterson
Aug 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
A bit of a mixed bag; some very good crime short stories, and some that are just okay-ish. The better stories tend to, unsurprisingly, be from the more well-known thriller writers; Connelly, McDermid, Child, and Lippman, although some of the lesser-known literary writers also provide very fine tales too.
Bill
Aug 20, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hyped as offering new stories of "crime and sex" by writers of literary fiction and writers of crime fiction, this collection serves neither group well. Other than a droll piece by Edmund White, there's nothing here memorable. Joyce Carol Oates' story is typically well-crafted, but she belabors the point. Some of the other stories are just bad tries at pulp fiction.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Chasing Shadows: A Special Agent's Lifelong Hunt to Bring a Cold War Assassin to Justice
  • Phantom Limb: A Daniel Rinaldi Mystery
  • Caught Dead (Rick Van Lam, #1)
  • The Russian Donation
  • The Rich and the Dead
  • White Time
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume One
  • Godchild (Jack Marconi #2)
  • Atlantis: Egyptian Genesis
  • The Last Leaf: Voices of History's Last-Known Survivors
  • To Kill an Armchair Husband: A Dark Comedy
  • I Am Troy Davis
  • Digital Rapture: The Singularity Anthology
  • Murder Corporation
  • The Animal
  • Interfictions 2: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing
  • Direct Hit (The Blitz Detective #1)
  • Canyon Sacrifice (National Park Mystery #1)
190058
Jonathan Santlofer is the author of five novels and a highly respected artist whose work has been written about and reviewed in the New York Times, Art in America, Artforum, and Arts, and appears in many public, private, and corporate collections. He serves on the board of Yaddo, one of the oldest artist communities in the country. Santlofer lives and works in New York City.
More about Jonathan Santlofer...