Start by marking “Too Far” as Want to Read:
Too Far

Too Far

A high school sportswriter gets wind of extreme hazing on the basketball team, and turns to city newsman Ben Mitchell for help. The two will discover just how far a town will go to get a state championship.
Published November 1st 2005 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Too Far, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Far

Laurie Stoll
Feb 25, 2011 Laurie Stoll rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I would have to say that this book was just an average read.
Ice
May 12, 2010 Ice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Most of New York Daily News columnist and ESPN commentator Lupica's work, fiction (Red Zone, etc.) and nonfiction (Summer of '98, etc.), is grounded in the world of sports.

This thriller/mystery tells of a high school basketball team whose winning season is threatened by the murder of its manager, Bobby Ferraro, and allegations of sadistic initiation rites. Former sportswriter and television commentator Ben Mitchell has quit the business and retired to self-imposed exile in South Fork, his Long I
Austin M
Apr 05, 2013 Austin M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have just read the book “Too Far” by Mike Lupica. This book is based off of the events that happened to a excellent basketball team in South Fork, New York. But the events that send this book on the grand journey happened in connecticut where there team manager went missing just as the trip ended. Two days later he was found dead, To the two main characters Ben Mitchell and Sam Perry thought there was more to just the manager ending up dying they thought there was more to the story, And they w ...more
Seth I
Nov 07, 2013 Seth I rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too Far by Mike Lupica is a sports mystery novel that kept me engaged throughout. Generally I lose my interest in sports novels, but Mike Lupica does a good job keeping the reader guessing about what is going to happen next. This novel is mystery about a murder taking place in the small town called South Fork, Connecticut. The basketball team manager Bobby Ferraro is found dead and another member on the team is assaulted. The town thinks it is just boys being boys, but a few people that don’t be ...more
Bruce Snell
This stand-alone novel from Mike Lupica deviates from his norm in that it is not intended for children - it is an adult mystery (3/5 stars). Ben Mitchell is a former big time newsman/sportswriter living in his hometown on Long Island after one of his stories caused him to rethink his career and leave the press. Ben is approached by high school reporter Sam Perry with information that could develop into a major story about hazing gone very wrong, and resulting in the death of the team manager.

Thi
Alisha
Nov 03, 2014 Alisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

My book is called "Too Far" By Mike Lupica, this book isnt as bad as I thought it would be. I did enjoy the language, all the swearing made the book more interesting. The story focuses on this thriller/mystery of a highs school basketball team whose winning season is threatened by the murder of its manager, Bobby Ferraro. Im not quite done just yet, but so far this book is really good. Its definitely a book I would recommend
Christa
Jan 11, 2015 Christa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was good read, though the subject matter might be a bit graphic for some of my Good Reads friends (Megin! Don't read this book!). I always enjoy a book that is centered around sports and I have enjoyed the other books of Mike Lupica's that I have read. I wasn't ever 100% sold on the toughness of the main character. That being said, I would likely read more books about this character. But I read the book in two days, so I must have liked it!
Landin
May 30, 2011 Landin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really know what to expect going into this, having never read any of Lupica's work, only seeing him on TV. His main character, Ben Mitchell, is an amazing badass, crusading for all the old newspaper writers that feel they're being pushed aside and forgotten by the digital age.

Based around basketball but not too "sportsy", it was a fast-paced read that kept me reading on my lunch breaks and at night longer than I normally would. Definitely will look for more by Lupica in the future.
Brooks
Mar 02, 2014 Brooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed how the book went deep into a high school basketball rape scandal. I don't necessarily enjoy the topic, and this book is definitely a challenge for me. I do enjoy basketball, and the story was so well written that I enjoyed it though. I recommend this book.
Tyler Dahlhauser
Oct 14, 2016 Tyler Dahlhauser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book.
Chalese
It was pretty good. More swearing than I like. Pretty suspenseful, can't believe this stuff actually goes on in sports.
Mrspam4ever
It was a good book, I will definitely read more of Lupica's work:)
Bridget Oliver
Bridget Oliver rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2009
Laura rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2009
Doreen
Doreen rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2014
Terry
Terry rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2011
Dan Rinkus
Dan Rinkus rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2012
Bob
Bob rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2014
Robert Laviano
Feb 01, 2016 Robert Laviano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written highschool basketball mystery in eastern LI.
Bob
Bob rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2015
Cody
Cody rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2009
Ellis
Ellis rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2008
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
David
David rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2010
Bkophile
Bkophile rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2015
Danielle Tanguay
Danielle Tanguay rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2014
Roger Hornberger
Roger Hornberger rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2014
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2010
Stanley
Stanley rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2008
  • Her
  • Kings of Infinite Space
  • Beautiful Girls
  • Wanderlust: Real-Life Tales of Adventure and Romance
  • If You Leave Me, Can I Come Too?
  • The Average American: The Extraordinary Search for the Nation's Most Ordinary Citizen
  • Rapture
  • Cosmopolitan: A Bartender's Life
Mike Lupica introduces his new middle-grade series, Mike Lupica's Comeback Kids."
More about Mike Lupica...