Start by marking “Relatively Famous” as Want to Read:
Relatively Famous

Relatively Famous

3.28  ·  Rating details ·  1,684 Ratings  ·  163 Reviews
Relatively Famous delivers Hollywood with heart... High school freshman Dani McKinley's world is rocked when she finds out that she is the daughter of B-list actor and notorious womanizer Mark Ocean. Mark is all too eager to get his acting career back on track, so he follows his agent's advice about cleaning up his image and invites his "new" daughter to spend the summer w ...more
Published July 28th 2010 by Createspace (first published June 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Relatively Famous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Relatively Famous

oliviasbooks
2.5 stars. You like those simple, California-based teen romance movies in which a former no-name girl falls in love with the wrong guy first, gets enveloped into the rich-people-fold, makes everbody ultimately happy and eliminates everybody's problems? Then you'll like this book, although it is even more predictable and a little less dramatic. Hollywood chicklit. Nothing more.

If you are on the lookout for a better mid-thirties-guy-gets-to-know-his-teenage-daughter-story, I recommend Dinner for T
Jim Thomsen
Jul 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author Jessica Park, known for the cuisine-centric cozy mysteries she penned with her mother, Susan Conant, makes two successful debuts here — as a Young Adult author and as a self-published e-book author.

"Relatively Famous" is breezy summer fare that should tickle young teen girls with its tantalizing, authoritative and often hilarious glimpses at beach fashion, the B-film industry and, of course, hot boys. And fifteen-year-old Dani McKinley, the story's central character, makes for a pretty g
Kathryn
Oct 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Check Out Author's Interview !!

I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked this book !
It started as shallow, obnoxious and tragically filled with too much Hollywood, for my taste. But it turned out to be much more than that of course.
It talks about change, friendship, forgiveness, and most of all growing up.

I couldn't help but wonder how the author was going to play out the scene. I guess I'm just one of those who hates tabloids on the outside and secretly loves to sneak on celebrities on t
Diana Francis
Aug 06, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This one just wasn't as good as Flat-Out Love. One of the problems is that the biggest plot issue is completely overlooked in the end. It simply isn't dealt with and that's frustrating.

I also thought this was really choppy, too much head hopping, and the end just wasn't satisfying. I felt there were probably too many plot threads and not enough character development. I was disappointed, sadly. Damn.
Jai
Sam
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read Relatively Famous after falling in love with Jessica Park when I read Flat-Out Love. I never wanted Flat-Out Love to end and thought that I might find the same connection with another book written by Jessica Park. I love her style of writing...she's funny and writes intelligently, but also knows how to pull at your heartstrings. I found that I really liked Relatively Famous, just not as much as Flat-Out Love. RF is a very easy read (like 1 day easy read) and is a very sweet sto ...more
Books
Nov 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was delighted when this book was free for download and promptly loaded it on my kindle to read at a later stage. I’ve seen so many glowing reviews of “Flat Out Love” by Jessica Park, and though I haven’t read it yet, I was excited to start with “Relatively Famous”. Ten percent into the kindle version of “Relatively Famous” I was already disappointed and rolling my eyes like crazy.

In short, this book was honestly and one hundred percent not for me. I can hardly muster up any praise for it. I t
Wanda
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
"Relatively Famous" was a sweet and entertaining read. It's a story about a young teenage girl Dani McKinley that is raised by her single mom who shows a lot of respect to her mom and her mom's boyfriend. Which is surprising, because let's face it. Teenage girls now a days, have nothing but attitude problems. So Dani is your typical teenager who has a best friend and both are a little boy crazy.
Then one day the carpet was snatch from under her feet when she began having paparazzi's chasing her
Jessi
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book - it was a fast, fun read that had me completely spellbound the entire time. I would have read it straight through in one day if I'd had the time to do so. Everything just flowed so naturally and entertainingly. This is the perfect lay-in-bed-and-read book.

The plot also really intrigued me. I loved the idea of a girl discovering that her father is a famous movie star. What girl wouldn't fantasize about the idea of suddenly becoming famous? I loved seeing how Da
Michelle
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I might've given this 2.5 stars if that was an option, but I can't quite manage to round that up to 3 overall. The writing is so simplistic to start, and there is no real hook to keep you reading for a while. However, I was curious about the story line still, and I had read another book by Jessica Park that I thought was good. So, I kept going. It wasn't a great book, but it wasn't awful. I just didn't really feel any connection to the characters. They were just there, and moving about as the au ...more
Jami Leigh
Plot: 1 1/2 stars
Characters: 1 1/2 stars
Style: 2 stars
Pace: 2 stars

In my attempts to read more self-pub and contemporary YA, I picked this up as a freebie. Guess you get what you pay for, in this case. Predictable, trite, and rather dull. Dani's as Mary Sue as they come, with always just the right answers when she needs them, and just enough plot induced stupidity to not realize it and have easily resolved mistakes. Stylistically, dialogue was stiff, awkward, and too on the nose. Ended up serio
Sweetdulci
I first read Flat Out Love by this author, and while the plot became predictable pretty quickly, the characters were engaging and the story unique. Relatively Famous was a bit...meh. I found the characters to be a bit shallow and boring, and I was really just reading to finish the story. On a positive note, Flat Out Love came after this book, so hopefully that's a sign the author is growing and will put out good stories in the future!
Adele
Jul 10, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Woeful.

Sixty pages in decided I couldn't go any further unless a strong editor had made an appearance. She has a fun voice but it just didn't work with the chaotic and shallow nature of the perspectives. Disappointing.
Ashley
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a DNF for me. I couldn't get into the story and all the different viewpoints were giving me a headache. I picked this book up because I loved Flat Out Love, and the writer has changed quite a bit between this one and FOL. Sorry just not for me.
Shari
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this because I liked Jessica Park's other book "flat-out love" but this book I could never get into. Usually I like books written for 15 year olds but not this one.
Helena
Sep 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-and-half-stars
1.5 stars.

I'll give it an extra half a star for the Joshua Jackson reference. Other than that it was very predictable and poorly written. Another one to the 'meh' pile.
Misbah
Jul 17, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bleh. Good story line ruined by flat characters and terrible writing.
Tammy
When an ordinary small-town girl meets her famous father for the first time, a whole new and exciting world is about to unlock its doors for her. The question is, at what cost?

Relatively Famous by Jessica Park
Dani McKinley is a typical teen who lives a perfectly normal, uncomplicated and relatively simple life in Michigan. With a fabulous mom, said mom's chef boyfriend and her best friend Samantha, Dani couldn't ask for anything more.

The problem with normal, however, is that it never stays the s
Cindy
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet YA

Sweet story, quick read. Felt a little "Princess Diaries"-ish and the ending was rushed. Glad Parker didn't use the "mean girls" trope I was expecting when Dani met the Hollywood crowd. Rushed through the "is Mark using Dani" to father of the year. Would be acceptable for older tweens and young teens
Melissa
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
This is quite clearly a debut novel. If you've read Flat Out Love, skip this one...it's overflowing with unfulfilled potential. If you've not read Flat Out Love, head there next--it's 1,000 times better.
Rossana
What would you do if you found out your real dad was a hollywood actor!? alot of teenager's dream come true but not Dani. A really good story but wish there was an epilogue to see what happened the summer after.
Nina Gallegos-skaggs
Cute

Very well written. Cute characters, plot, and setting. I would recommend it to someone else. Very easy read as well.
Robbi Leah  Freeman
A fun beach read but a little unbelievable on the situation and the characters. But I really like most of Jessica Park's books.
Kari Anderson
Feb 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One day she wakes up normal, a freshman in high school, ready for summer break. The next day, there is paparazzi all over her school telling Dani she is the daughter of a famous actor. She’s never known her dad and has always been told he didn’t want a part in her life. The bombshell Mark Ocean immediately responds Dani is not his daughter, but changes his mind, with his career in mind.

So Dani is headed to California for the summer where she is set up with the prettiest, richest girls she’s ever
Yvonne Moncovich
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
California girl

Danielle McKinley is a normal girl from Michigan. Well, normal in that she's 15 years old, goes to school, and has a best friend named Sam. Not so normal in that she has a mom who has a boyfriend but she's never had a dad. She doesn't know who he is, just some guy her mom went to college with who didn't want to be a dad. Or that's what she thought.

When Dani finds out her father is bad action movie star, Mark Ocean, it's a little overwhelming. Suddenly the paparazzi are following
ѦѺ™
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And my dad, you're a great actor but you're a better father. - Angelina Jolie

It doesn't matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was. - Anne Sexton

Danielle McKinley is a typical fifteen-year old and lives comfortably with her mother Leila and Leila's boyfriend Alan in Michigan. everything is routine but not boring or tedious for her until she learns that her absentee father is Mark Ocean - a famous-but-soon-to-be-not-famous action star. Mark needs to jump start his career if he wis
Ambur
Oct 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, own-ebook
This was an amazing and an adorable story. It was fast-paced, with some wonderful characters. It was just the book I needed right now. For Dani it was perpetually sunny in California and right now for me I'm seeing snow.
I loved how Jessica added elements of Hollywood and LA that we all associate with movie stars and other celebrities. The paparazzi, the restaurants where they get 'spotted', the agents, the parties...I was swept up in the LA lifestyle just as much as Dani was, although I may hav
Marian
Short Introduction: Dani has never known her father, but since she's so close to her mother's boyfriend, not knowing her father isn't a big deal. She already has a father figure in her life. The only problem is that her mom is keeping a big secret from her. The true identity of her father is Mark Ocean, an actor known for his outrageous movies and an even more outrageous personal life.

When the truth comes out, the paparazzi immediately come after Dani. Mark denies it at first, but after careful
Rachelle
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dani McKinley finds out that she's related to action star Mark Ocean when the paparazzi start taking photos of her going to school. Mark Ocean denies the rumors of having a daughter until his agent saw Dani as an opportunity for him to get the roles he truly deserves. So he treats Dani to summer vacation to California for a chance to get to know one another. Mark may have his own motives but his daughter's charm is something he can't resist and can't help but love her.

This took me maybe 5-6 hou
Jen
Jul 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Relatively Famous" is, supposedly, the book that got Jessica Park noticed in the literary world. Her more recent work, "Flat-Out Love", "Flat-Out Matt", and "Left Drowning", have garnered her more attention and praise and I actually read those three prior to "Relatively Famous". A note to others: Do NOT save "Relatively Famous" as the last book to read on your Jessica Park TBR pile. Save that precious spot for "Left Drowning". ^.^

This was a pretty good story about a 15-year-old regular teen gir
Young Adult Conte...: #15 Relatively Famous by Jessica Park 2 18 Nov 06, 2013 02:56PM
The Hidden Review...: Relatively Famous [Jessica Park] 4 52 Sep 05, 2013 02:57AM
The Free Book Cha...: Relatively Famous, by Jessica Park 3 16 Jan 05, 2013 09:59PM
Relatively Famous 1 6 Aug 11, 2012 09:51AM
  • Playing Along
  • Kicking Eternity (New Smyrna Beach #3)
  • The Firelight of Maalda (Legend of the Raie'Chaelia, #2)
  • Spectacle
  • The Real Fling
  • Book of Enlightenment (Generations Saga, #1)
  • Refuge (Refuge, #1)
  • Last Flight Out
  • The Queen Bee of Bridgeton (Dancing Dream, #1)
  • Delicate
  • Tats
  • Miss Me Not
  • The Broken Road (The Broken Road, #1)
  • Steamed (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #1)
  • Coming Home (Jackson Falls, #1)
  • While You Were Dead
  • Playing at Forever
  • I Won't Give Up
Jessica is the author of CLEAR, The Left Drowning Series (LEFT DROWNING and RESTLESS WATERS), the New York Times bestselling FLAT-OUT LOVE (& the companion novella FLAT-OUT MATT), FLAT-OUT CELESTE, and RELATIVELY FAMOUS. She lives in New Hampshire where she spends an obscene amount time thinking about rocker boys and their guitars, complex caffeinated beverages, and tropical vacations. On the ...more
More about Jessica Park...