Start by marking “The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume II” as Want to Read:
The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume II

The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume II (The Works of Edgar Allan Poe "The Raven Edition" #2)

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  3,597 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews

THE ISLAND OF THE FAY
THE ASSIGNATION
THE PIT AND THE PENDULU
Kindle Edition, The Raven Edition
Published August 2nd 2010 (first published 1903)

To ask other readers questions about The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume II

Kenya Wright
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If Edgar was alive I would give him a blow job....

Melanti
A very mixed bag.

This anthology contains many of Poe's most well-known and well-regarded horror stories. Those were excellent, though not quite as good as I remembered them to be.

But it also contains quite a few that are dull enough that they were a chore to read, and at least one that was so impenetrable that I read the same page a dozen times and still barely comprehended what Poe was trying to say.

But I'm glad to have (finally) read "William Wilson", which I've been meaning to read for quit
P
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Purloined letter" is just one example of why so much of Poe's writing has stood the test of time.
He's 'sui generis'.
Marina (Sonnenbarke)
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
What I found out reading this book, and also the first volume of the series, is that my worship of Edgar Allan Poe has waned through the years. I had first read almost all of his short stories as a young adult, and completely fell in love with them. Now, re-reading them, this time in English, I found that, while I still like them a lot, I don't feel such love for them.

There are some stories which are worth all the effort and which are definitely 5 stars for me - I'm thinking of The Pit and the P
Kimberly Duquette
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
“TRUE! nervous, very, very dreadfully nervous I had been and am; but why will you say that I am mad?” And so begins “The Tell-Tale Heart” by Edgar Allan Poe. The images and characters that Poe presented are still captivating today. Known for his dark, gothic themes, Poe’s work was hugely influential to the short story, horror, and mystery, and genres.
B. Zedan
Oct 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Folks who know Poe for what he's known for, but would like to know more
Ah, here are the "classics" of Poe—The Purloined Letter, The Cask of Amontillado, The Masque of the Red Death. But in between are more of those skipping tales of fancy, like The Thousand-and-Second Tale of Scheherezade, wherein she is a smart-ass and it ends badly. And tucked in at the end are two pieces that I was wildly excited about, primarily Landor's Cottage (which The Domain of Arnheim is but a set-up for):

"One thing became more and more evident the longer I gazed: an artist, and one wit
Diana Long
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
In this second volume of short stories, the author takes us though a journey of first person narratives, sometimes he is the ear and at other times he is the voice and always the thoughts of each character as they relate the tale. I was not surprised at the macabre in his works, I was well familiar with them. What I was not expecting in a few was the romantic side of Poe which came out in several of the stories. As my journey continues in discovering Poe I find he was very well educated and broa ...more
Chinook
Oct 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1001, 1-kindle
I think I've now read Poe's most famous stories, which is interesting since I've got vol.s 1, 3 and 4 to go. A few of the stories were really similar to each other - for example The Tell-Tale Heart and the one earlier in the collection where the character does almost exactly the same thing at the end. I do like how he has this long lead up to what's going on because in the good stories, this adds to the suspense. In the ones I liked less though it was really tedious.

Let's blame the baby for the
Justin
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I enjoyed this a lot more than Volume I. The tales were a little darker and more fantastic. It included the Fall of the House of Usher and The Pit and the Pendulum. Someone had made the comment here earlier that it was best to 'stick to the better-known pieces - everything else is mediocre' (Forgive the inexact paraphrase). I found this to be partially true. There were some where I felt Poe was stretching and I felt no resonance or terror at all. There were other stories that I had not heard of ...more
Lanko
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Probably should have read it at night. Also, only contained four short stories, only one really creepy. Can't really complain though, it was free.

Despite saying that and with this rating, Edgar Allan Poe was a true master and an inspiration to the genre. But they could have brought better stories into this.

It's possible it could have been the editing/translation of my version, but again, wasn't exactly a joyful read, except for one really good story. Also felt the ones chosen were a bit repetit
Mimi
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If I have to say something about this masterpiece I think that tiny little box won't fit; because inevitably I'll find myself digging my way through each short story and Poem I've come across; One of the beauties of Poe is that, since his work was all poetry & short stories, you can get everything in a one volume addition like this one.
A must-read. A whole new journey you're going to undergo.
Whitney Watercutter
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to my grandmother, who let me read these out loud for hours. This is where I began reading to people. Nobody else lets me read Poe, though.
Matthias
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Es gibt nichts Besseres nach trüben, ereignislosen Tagen.
Ehna
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: classic, mystery, thriller
It takes a little while to get used to Poe's long and winding style of writing. It is hard to rate this collection as a whole. It contains brilliant stories like The Telltale Heart, The Purloined Letter and The Black Cat - but there are also pieces which I found to be mediocre, and a bit of a chore to read. Overall I am happy to have read this, but the lack of curation makes the reading experience bumpy and uneven. It will satisfy those who want to familiarize themselves with the more unknown wo ...more
Julie
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This was more for the tales I hadn't read before, and I found them tedious and overworked. I'll keep reading the rest of his writing, but this collection felt meh to me.
Noah
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, poetry
This volume has many of Poe's famous classics, and it's easy to see why they are so famous. With his incredible skill, I'm surprised more of his works are not more famous.
Sara
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics-amer, horror
The Purloined Letter 3* - the third of Poe's detective stories following The Murders in the Rue Morgue and The Mystery of Marie Rogêt. The detective stories are not my favorites of his works.

The Thousand-and-second Tale of Scheherazade 2* - this was suppose to be a sequel of One Thousand and One Nights that was suppose to add contemporary events as mysteries in the form of tales told by Scheherazade to the king.

A Descent into the Maelström 3* - This was the age of adventure/science fiction and P
Alex H
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Due to my fascination for dark stories that can both scare and intrigue the reader, it was an inevitable fate that I pick up pieces from the genius literary minds of H. P. Lovecraft and of course Edgar Allan Poe. This semester I read The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe by none other than Edgar Allan Poe. I found every story to be similar to an amusement park ride, you get on feeling anxious with the title of the attraction drawing you in and after a thrilling turn of events with surprises aro ...more
Zuzana
Several of the stories are brilliant, several are terribly boring. The rest is good.

1/ The Purloined Letter
the third of Auguste Dupin Tales, not as good as The Murders in the Rue Morgue

2/The Thousand and Second Tale of Scheherazade
the one tale that cost Sheherezade's life

3/A Descent into the Maelstrom
a classic, a sailor recounts how he survived a shipwreck and a great whirlpool

4/ Von Kempelen and his Discovery
a literary hoax in a form of news article, intended to make readers believe that the ph
Bernardo Arcos Álvarez
Tardé casi cuatro meses en leer este libro. Poe fue un genio, de eso no hay duda; tenía una creatividad literalmente endemoniada, un pensamiento original y retorcido. Sin embargo, fue todo un desafío leerlo en inglés, probablemente sea todo un desafío incluso para un angloparlante nativo. Su lenguaje llega a ser tan complicado como el de Shakespeare mismo, sus descripciones kilométricas hacen que uno conozca a la perfección el escenario, mientras en segundo plano se desarrolla la historia, casi ...more
Bionic Jean
Many of these stories have been reviewed separately on my shelves. This volume contains:

The Purloined Letter
The Domain of Arnheim
L
Greg
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book has some real high points and some real humdrum boring parts, but overall it was an enjoyable read. I liked how many of Poe's stories were narrated by murderers, deranged, and delusional characters. At the end you ask yourself what part of it was real and what was in the person's head. Many of these stories I was familiar with even if I hadn't read them all, but there were some hidden gems in here as well. I especially enjoyed The Adventures of A. Gordon Pym, which was EAP's only compl ...more
Adam
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Goodreads didn't seem to have the exact edition of the volume I read but this one is close enough. It really showcases some of Poe's best and most haunting work. The Tell-Tale Heart is still one of my all time favorite short stories. Add that to tales like The Fall of the House of Usher, The Pit and the Pendulum and The Premature Burial, this is a volume guaranteed to keep you up at night. Of course not every story in the volume is fantastic but the ones that are heavily outweight those that are ...more
Loretta
I can't give this a rating because it's not quite the right book. I downloaded a free e-book from kobo, and the only Poe work in it that I recognized was the Raven. The other stuff was...really very not interesting. Some essays on poetry, some strange short stories. I am guessing this is a collection of his early work, but I cannot find the right book/edition in goodreads, nor in Gutenberg. So I will leave this unrated, and try and find some of the good Poe stuff to read, sometime soon.

It was w
Ted Wolf
This volume contains a lot of Poe's best known stories including The Black Cat, The Cask of Amontillado and The Fall of the House of Usher as well as many others. However, there are also some less well known works that are quite dull like the two "sketches" The Domain of Arnheim and Landor's Cottage.

Since this book is in the public domain and therefore available for free, I recommend downloading it and just picking out the most famous stories to read and skipping the others.
Tracie
Sep 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Really, it's overrated. As a huge fan of Gothic literature, I was expecting to see Poe as a hero... really, there isn't anything scary about his books. I tried to like them, I really did, but I couldn't really find anything about them that I enjoyed.

The Raven was excellent, though. One of my favorite poems to date. The perfect mix of mystery, darkness, and suspense.
Rachel
Oct 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give it a 3.5. Some stories were brilliant and others just tedious. Details were warranted in some stories and others it just dragged on and on. But, I am of a different time period so I should probably adjust my feelings about that in relation to the quality of writing which is high. Most enjoyed The Pit and the Pendulum', 'The Black Cat', 'William Wilson' and The Cask of Amontillado'. ...more
Nepeta Leijon
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Edgar Allan Poe is...amazing. He is such a great inspiration in writing. I cannot see how people call him overrated.

He was a genius and yes, I am a huge Poe fan.

His stories are so disturbing and thought provoking that they give me chills. Poe is not scary, he is disturbing, thrilling, but most of all, amazing.
John Cress
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is some great stories in this volume including Tell Tell Heart, The Pit and the Pendulum, the Black Cat, and The Fall of the House of Usher. All 4 of these stories made the volume 2 collection for me. Give this one a whirl if you have time.
Madeline Stone
Some of the stories are very interesting. They are almost all creepy as I expected, those which are not are rambling. It seems Poe did not think it worth his while to rivet his audience with any device but dread. The exception to this was the first chapter, The Purloined Letter.
  • Keats: poems published in 1820
  • Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know
  • Circle of Friends Cookbook - 25 Meatloaf Recipes: Exclusive on-line cookbook
  • The Case of Wagner/Nietzsche Contra Wagner/Selected Aphorisms
  • The Damned
  • Adventure of the Abbey Grange (The Return of Sherlock Holmes, #12)
  • The World Set Free
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Holiday Recipes: 150 Easy Recipes and Gifts From Your Kitchen
More about Edgar Allan Poe

The Works of Edgar Allan Poe "The Raven Edition" (5 books)
  • The Works of Edgar Allan Poe: Volume 1 (The Works of Edgar Allan Poe [Raven Edition] #1)
  • The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 3

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“Not altogether a fool," said G., "but then he's a poet, which I take to be only one remove from a fool.” 3 likes
“it is far more easy to get up than to come down.” 3 likes