Start by marking “Where the Right Went Wrong: How Neoconservatives Subverted the Reagan Revolution and Hijacked the Bush Presidency” as Want to Read:

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  276 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
American Empire is at its apex. We are the sole superpower with no potential challenger for a generation. We can reach any point on the globe with our cruise missiles and smart bombs and our culture penetrates every nook and cranny of the global village. Yet we are now the most hated country on earth, buried beneath a mountain of debt and morally bankrupt.

Where the Right W
Published April 1st 2007 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Where the Right Went Wrong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where the Right Went Wrong

Jessica Frey
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"A rebellion is brewing among principled and populist conservatives about the direction of their country and party."

"The people no longer rule in America. Though our society is democratic, our government is not. The Republic has fallen under a rule of judges."

It is always amazing to me how accurate Pat's words are. He wrote this in 2004, and 13 years later, his words are right on the mark. One of the absolute best things I have ever read is the "The Abdication of Congress and the Rise of the Ju
Cwn_annwn_13
Buchanan is, like Noam Chomsky, Ralph Nader, Amy Goodman, Michael Moore and a few others that slip my mind at the moment, what I would call a system approved rebel, a gatekeeper, or controlled opposition. He says a lot of good things, utters truths that someone in the mainstream or borderline mainstream would never bring up but when you get to the most crucial points or stances they always seem to avoid taking a true offensive against the power structure that they feign opposition against. More ...more
Eric_W
Apr 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: current-affairs
Patrick Buchanan got it right in this book. He writes that Bush's posture after 9/11 is unconstitutional and harmful to the U.S. Nowhere in the Constitution is the president afforded the power of making preemptive war, yet his approach was to declare a virtual battle against evil, rather than going after the perpetrator of the act itself. Ignoring precedent and reality (numerous countries have developed chemical and nuclear capacities in the twentieth century despite U.S. policy to prevent such ...more
John
Jun 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pat Buchanan savages GWBush's Neoconservative foreign policy as a costly and doomed over-reach to create the Pax Americana. His arguments did not rise to isolationism, but he clearly wants us to cease trying to police the world. He portrays the US as being at an “Imperial apogee,” which because of enormous expense, and world and national opposition will inevitably fall from power and pre-eminence. He is very bitter that the Neocons (ex-big government liberals) hijacked the Republican party from ...more
Nathan Tensen
Jun 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Pat Buchanan gets a bum rap. Many liberals hate him for working for Nixon and Reagan and think of him as a racist nationalist. Minus the Reagan stint, many on the right hate him for the same reasons. But it's not all fair. Yes, he's a social conservative and a right-winger, but he is undoubtedly an intelligent guy and has somethings of merit to say. On Israel for instance, his stance is entirely reasonable (that is to criticize the damagingly close relationship the U.S. has with the country even ...more
E.LB
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How Neoconservatives Subverted the Reagan Revolution! Good read, I thought a Conservative was Conservative!! I've been a Conservative all of my adult life and didn't know about Neoconservatives! Now, it all makes sense to me! We keep electing Republicans ( NeoConservatives) but most of them are not any different than Democrats.( Liberals/Socialist). This book will explain when and how it happened.
Jennie -  Webbweaver Reviews
Very interesting read, especially for those interested in politics but also those just interested in the way some societies work.
Phillip W.
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A trenchant critique of the state of the political right, which has not much improved since Buchanan first penned this book. One need not agree with everything Buchanan writes to profit from his analyses, insights, and diagnoses.

The fact remains is that free trade has become an undiluted dogma, the US lacks a coherent industrial policy, and we are in a state of seemingly endless cultural and moral decline. Buchanan scores lacerating points on all these issues. He reminds the reader that the Righ
Tadas Talaikis
May 30, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
In one sentence, it's all jewish, communism, Catholicism and Martin Luther King's fault. Despite it has some good points (we really need good case for conservatism), it mixes with NWO conspiracy theory and I would call for a refund for this book (happens very rarely).

I still hope to see more normal conservatives (and liberals) without neo- premix, who at least allow thought that maybe all idealistic ideologies are wrong, they are just weapons in the hands of interest groups (probably what this b
Eric
Apr 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pat Buchanan does a great job differentiating neocons from traditional conservatives. This was written six years ago (2004) and its remarkable to actually see his predictions come true as far as trade deficits, currency debasements and blowback (terrorism) are concerned.

One idea that was new to me...It was the first time I had heard of a conservative strongly disagree with Milton Freidman and international free trade. But his arguement made sense from a Hamiltonian point of view; free trade amon
Kent
Feb 26, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults who want to understand American politics from a true conservative
Recommended to Kent by: won the book at a GOP meeting
I won this at the Oakville GOP for guessing the 2008 Iowa Caucus results.

I've read other Buchanan books, and I realize he's actually a good author and decent writer.

This book is well researched, more facts and figures than I had expected.

Also, the book gives a good truncated history of Islam from its start. Buchanan also takes time to explain some Chinese history and American history.

This was written in 2004, so the Bush v. Kerry outcome was unknown. The book is already dated, but Buchanan's bla
Skylar Burris
Dec 24, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
Buchanan lambastes the Bush administration and the Republican party, which he believes has abandoned its conservative roots in favor of expanding empire and increasing spending in order to buy votes. Buchanan is a semi-isolationist and a protectionist, and he rejects the free trade mantra that has been more or less accepted by both parties. While I agree with him that the Republican party has strayed from its small-government roots and become just another big government party, I find his economi ...more
J. Ewbank
I normally would read nothing by this author because I do not really care for his politics, at least some of his politics in the past.

This is an interesting book, is very thought provoking if you take the time to really understand what he is saying.

It does raise many questions in my mind. So, all told it was a read that I am glad to have finished and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

For those interested in the political scene, it gives some good information from the conservative point of
Marley
Jul 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a big fan of Patrick Buchanan, but I really enjoyed this book, and have recommended it repeatedly since I read it. Read how the "right" has kicked it's so-called friends and cohorts to the curb to reshape itself as big government pimps while claiming just the opposite. I really wish Pat would just come out and refuse to support the people he clearly has no regard or respect for, but he seems to hae a great need for approval from his former or quasi-former friends.
Adam Spivey
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, politics
Great book, Buchanan makes the case that we burned up all of our good will after 9/11. We should have have isolated the terrorists and worked with Islamic countries that wanted to help us. Instead we went on an ideolgical crusade to Westernize all of the Middle East and alienated our friends. Buchanan demonstrates this is exactly what Al Queda wanted to bring in more recruits. The chapter on China is phenominal. Highly recommend this book.
Taft Babbitt
I have a lot of respect for Buchanan as a critical thinker and conservative. I dont agree with all his assertions but the book puts for some ideas that are worth our reflective consideration. It's hard to know who may be correct as we listen to all these different politicians and their visions and nightmars that the future might hold but most of them have real reasons that they have come to certain conclusions and we should think them through for ourselves.
Teresa
Jul 21, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this for a book club, and I was honestly surprised at how much I agreed with him on his foreign policy stance. Socially, not one iota. He lays down a very good argument for traditional conservatism, and seems to be eerily prescient in terms of Iraq and the economy. I learned a lot about "old school conservatives" and while I don't agree with all of his positions, I learned a lot about the difference between the two types of conservatism.
Kiseruyoru
Sep 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Reads like it's written by a KKK member. We have a couple economic agreements and agreements about how imperialism is un-American (for entirely different reasons), but that's where it ends.

Skip this dross.

Why did I read this twice!? I just threw it on my phone (again), cause it sounds interesting - trust me, it's not. Deleting this shit.
Andrew
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very perceptive book. Although I generally am not a fan of Buchanan, he really nails the problems of the conservative movement and makes some good arguments for a roll-back of the changes caused by the Bush neo-conservative crew.
Clinton
It scared the bejesus out of me to realize I agreed with half the book! But then Buchanan tried to talk about economics, so thankfully reverted to his usual idiocy. But seriously, I agreed with most of what he said in Part 1 of the book - scary. lol
Jeanne
Aug 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an eye-opener to what can happen when we're busy with the day to day. I realize that it may be necessary to take what Pat Buchanan says in the book with a grain of salt but there's probably more truth to it than I feel comfortable acknowledging. Yikes!!
Owen Carver
Good history, bad politics. Patrick is a realist conservative who bashes bush well. This is a good book for Republicans to read. Buchanan cares about the things that Republicans care about.
Roger Singh
Interesting book
Bob Helm
Mar 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buchanan has a great knowledge of political, American, and world history. It's a great read for that alone.
Joe Daniels
would pass on Buchanans conservatives just the same as I'd pass on his Neocons.
Kirk Bower
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't always agree with Buchanan, but you always know where he stands. Have enjoyed his writing. good book.
Chamie
Sep 23, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Ed
Sep 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great insight into the dividing line between conservatives and NeoCons. Well written.
Michael
A good read. I can't agree with everything that Buchanan asserts (who can?), but it was interesting.
Kirk
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read. For anyone that would like a better understanding and perspective of why we are in the mess we're in today, give this a look. I learned a lot.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Rollback: Repealing Big Government Before the Coming Fiscal Collapse
  • The Doctrine of Fascism
  • War on the Middle Class: How the Government, Big Business, and Special Interest Groups Are Waging War on the American Dream and How to Fight Back
  • Running on Empty: How the Democratic and Republican Parties Are Bankrupting Our Future and What Americans Can Do About It
  • The Truth About Hillary: What She Knew, When She Knew It, and How Far She'll Go to Become President
  • What Liberal Media?: The Truth about Bias and the News
  • Man and Technics: A Contribution to a Philosophy of Life
  • Bushworld
  • Why America Slept: The Reasons Behind Our Failure to Prevent 9/11
  • Leftism Revisited: from de Sade and Marx to Hitler and Pol Pot
  • White Identity: Racial Consciousness in the 21st Century
  • Reason: Why Liberals Will Win the Battle for America
  • Marching Toward Hell: America and Islam After Iraq
  • Politics Lost: How American Democracy Was Trivialized by People Who Think You're Stupid
  • The Sorrows of Empire: Militarism, Secrecy, and the End of the Republic (The American Empire Project)
  • My FBI: Bringing Down the Mafia, Investigating Bill Clinton, and Fighting the War on Terror
  • The Conscience of a Conservative
  • Hard Call: Great Decisions and the Extraordinary People Who Made Them
One of America's best known paleoconservatives, Buchanan served as a senior advisor to Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, and Ronald Reagan. He ran for president in 1992, 1996 and 2000. Buchanan is an isolationist on the subject of American foreign policy and believes in a restrictive immigration policy.

More about Patrick J. Buchanan...