Start by marking “The Legend of Drizzt: The Collected Stories” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Drizzt: The Collected Stories

The Legend of Drizzt: The Collected Stories

(The Legend of Drizzt)

Classic short stories that expand the epic Legend of Drizzt!

For years, the Legend of Drizzt has included short stories published in Forgotten Realms anthologies and Dragon magazine. Collected here for the first time are all the classic stories—and one all new tale—by The New York Times best-selling author R.A. Salvatore!

From the startling origin of Drizzt’s panther
Mass Market Paperback, 370 pages
Published February 1st 2011 by Wizards of the Coast

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Drizzt, please sign up.
Stephanie Not even a little bit. R. A. Salvatore creates his own unique and rich world and characters. The only thing the two series have in common is the…moreNot even a little bit. R. A. Salvatore creates his own unique and rich world and characters. The only thing the two series have in common is the medieval type era in which they are set. (less)

Start your review of The Legend of Drizzt: The Collected Stories
Gianfranco Mancini

An excellent anthology collecting R.A. Salvatore's early (and not early) short stories previously published in magazines and other anthologies about Drizzt, the Companions of the Hall and more characters from the Legend of Drizzt saga.
A very good read indeed, but not a good starting point for people who haven't read all the books (at last the ones published before Gauntlgrym) of that years spanning epic fantasy saga.
A must read for old fans of Drizzt & co.

The First Notch: 3 stars

Salvatore's
seak
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, audio
Wizards of the Coast outdid themselves on this one and brought in a cast that's actually hard to believe unless you start listening. It's a free download at the moment, so go at it while it's FREE.

Besides Ice-T, "[o]ther audiobook readers include Felicia Day (The Guild), Melissa Rauch (The Big Bang Theory), Wil Wheaton (Star Trek: The Next Generation), Sean Astin (The Lord of the Rings), David Duchovny (The X-Files), Michael Chiklis (The Shield), Tom Felton (Harry Potter), Greg Grunberg (Heroes)
Travis
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The Legend of Drizzt Anthology: The Collected Stories by R. A. Salvatore

The Legend of Drizzt Anthology: The Collected Stories was released February 2011 and published by Wizards of the Coast LLC. This anthology was edited by Philip Athans. The anthology contains all the short stories that R. A. Salvatore has written that are set in the Forgotten Realms and concern the popular character Drizzt Do'Urden and companions. This anthology is set in the Forgotten Realms setting of Dungeons and Dragons.
Wendy
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, audiobook, gaming
I call myself a geek, and yet, up until last year, I had not watched any Doctor Who. Similarly, I play roleplaying video games, but I have never played Dungeons and Dragons and know very little about the vast lore behind it. Thanks to this book, I have since remedied both of these problems and can now truly fly my geek flag high.

The Legend of Drizzt is a collection of Salvatore's early works, read by a star-studded cast. It is introduced by Salvatore himself, who recognizes the flaws of his
Kristen
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I come out of this audiobook really wanting to read more about Drizzt's adventures. They're just plain fun! A bunch of these followed Artemis and Jarlaxle too. Also fun, but in a different way.

Also, I'm not sure if it's that I've watched a lot of Harmonquest, but Dan Harmon definitely needs to narrate more D&D stories.
AndrewP
This is a collection of short stories about Drizzt and other characters from the books of R. A. Salvatore.

These stories are okay, but most of them centre around a battle or fight and this becomes a bit monotonous after the first three or four. There were some non-combat material that added a bit of interest. Readers who are not familiar with R. A Salvatore's books might find themselves a bit lost as the majority of the stories feature characters from the books. The last story was probably the
Tammie
I listened to this in the car while on vacation. Some of the stories were quite entertaining, while others were rather boring. The writing style was a bit lacking to me, without a whole lot of character development and there were also some fight scenes that could have been very exciting, but were completely dull because of the way they were written. However I am aware these are short stories that tie into several books which I have not read, so I'm not going to be too overly critical of them. ...more
Joel
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
While 14-year old me loved Salvatore, 29 year old me finds it too simplistic, a bit too hamfisted and a bit boring.

The all-star cast narrating this was kinda fun - Ice-T was actually surprisingly good, and Weird Al was fun. In the end, a bit underwhelming.
Kristie
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Well, this was an easy read. I had actually read most of the stories that are collected here. Drizzt is one of my favorite characters of all time, making this really easy and fun to read.
Brian
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
First Notch-**** Strong first story for the collection. The one drawback no Drizzt.
Dark Mirror-***** Action and an interesting look at prejudice.
Third Level-**** Artemis Entreri! A little too perfect and wanted more. However I really wasn't expecting a story devoted to just him that was a nice surprise.
Guenhwyvar-**** Not how I would have thought that wondrous panther came to be. Wanted some more on the Bladesinger and the ranger gone wizard. Full of fantastic magic items. (Made me miss
Billy Rodriguez

Comrades At Odds 4/5

If They Ever Happened Upon My Lair 4/5 *

Bones and Stones 4/5

Iruladoon 4/5 *

-Oh my gosh! I absolutely loved where this story went. I was absolutely pissed at the ending of Ghost King (at what happened), and this makes it known that Salvatore didn't just throw away important (from my view) characters, due to not liking where the Realms were
Josh
Aug 15, 2014 rated it liked it

Huge props to Audible for offering this as a free download! And with an all-star cast! There are some really great voices in this collection, and although some of them seemed to struggle a bit with a few words, for the most part they did an admirable job.

I have only recently started venturing into the world of D&D, so there were a lot of characters that I didn't know. I'm sure that fans of the series will enjoy this immensely. For me, there were some stories that were harder to follow than
Cole
Sep 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Not the best choice for my first venture into the world of Drizzt. I had no idea who the characters were and subsequently was a bit lost. I do have to say though that Wil Wheaton nailed it!
Kathleen
Terrifically fun, this is an excellent audiobook to tune in and out of. The stories are each about an hour long, which is a perfect length for my listening preferences. Some familiarity with Drizzt, Dungeons and Dragons, or fantasy tropes in general would probably help, but the stories do stand alone very well. My favorite might have been the first, wherein a young Bruenor, the dwarf who will eventually be Drizzt's best friend and King of Mythril Hall, and a few of his yet-beardless comrades go ...more
Caroline Eising
I haven't listened to many audiobooks. When listening to recordings I tend to do housework or become absorbed in other tasks, which means my attention can wander. Also, with a book you can go back and re-read a passage that you did not parse the first time around, but with an audio recording that is a difficult thing - too often I went back too far and found my attention had wandered again by the time I got back to the passage that I had missed. So I found that I had to listen to these stories ...more
Donald Reynolds
Nov 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Kelly
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, shorts, fantasy
The introduction by R.A. Salvatore is wonderful. He talks about the journey these stories took him on when he went back to annotate them for the collection, and that is exactly how it feels to read them. I remembered the books they fit between; all those events, all those characters. Again, I marveled at how many plot lines Salvatore has juggled.

I couldn't pick a favourite, but I was pleased to note that nearly every prominent character from the legend was featured, some more than once. I took
Forgotten Realms Queen
Fan-FREAKING-tastic! So many stories and loose ends tied up here!

We're finally caught up with Wulfgar and what he's been doing since he left the Companions in search of his daughter.

Drizzt FINALLY gets closure for Ellafain, the elf maiden who was consumed with a misguided need for vengeance against Drizzt, who Drizzt had no choice but to kill.

Lovely little tidbits of Jarlaxle and Entreri's partnership, and we get to see in full (mostly) Entreri's beginings in Calimport.

Sweet little peice about
Kati
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Salvatore has definitely grown as a writer since his first books, his style is undeniably good now. And yet... with his growth as an author, his books lost any resemblance of hope. His old stories always seemed to end on a positive note, no matter how dire or depressing the situation was, there was always a light at the end of the tunnel. Now? Not anymore. Now it's the other way around - no matter how feel-good the story, it always has to have a dark and/or depressing ending. And it's just not ...more
Caleb M. M.
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a great anthology, all in all. Fantastic voice acting, but that's to be expected, given the talent involved in the making of the audiobook version. There were some stories that didn't really grab my attention as much, but there were others that caught me by the tonsils and wouldn't let me go until they had ripped me right through. My favorite story was "Dark Mirror". I LOVED that one.

Overall, fantastic job as always, R.A. Salvatore. Thanks for the great read. And thanks to the voice
Leslie
These stories probably deserve a higher rating as I found they drew me in even though I have no background in the Drizzt series. However, coming to them as I did, I found each story started with me floundering to figure out what was going on.

This audiobook is not actually a "full cast performance" -- each story had a sole narrator but a different one each time. I liked this approach to audio short stories, which I haven't encountered before.
Janice
I'm not sure why I keep trying to read anthologies. Short stories really aren't my thing. I may have enjoyed this more if I was familiar with Drizzt. I had no background in the storyline. There were some stories I liked, but quite a few were a bit droll.

Part of the problem were the narrators. Just because you're a famous actor doesn't mean you can read a book. Again, some did a great job and others were stilted in their reading.
Joshua Grossman
What an Amazing author with a great way of Challenging his readers to think about their Philosophy of Life. I have never felt like Salvatore has ever pushed his beliefs in any of his stories but he pushes all of his readers to question our own choices in Life!!! Amazing author and I would love just to sit down with him for one hour and have a couple of beers.
john hall
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For those who dearly love Drizzt

The collected stories provide a look at some of the characters that Drizzt encounters within the stories about him. It provides also answers to questions about the companions of the hall.
Timothy Pecoraro
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was happy to be able to listen to the audio version of this book collection for free. And it is wonderful in audio, each story is so different and yet has a similarly familiar ring. Excellent work.
D.
Aug 15, 2014 rated it liked it
A fun little ride and mostly well performed (I listened to the audiobook). Made me nostalgic for D&D.
Jonathan
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Good short stories amounting to a quick but memorable read.
Eric
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good collection, wish I was closer to the material but you don't need to follow it to appreciate the content.
Ash
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Listed to the audiobook with an all-star cast. Most of the stories were good, and most of the narrators great. 4 out of 5
Ryan
Feb 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book
Some of the stories are really good and some of the narration is really good. Just hit or miss a couple times.
Vaginal Fantasy B...: The Legend of Drizzt: The Collected Stories 5 81 Nov 10, 2014 11:46AM
North Vagolinians: D & D 3 5 Oct 05, 2014 05:18PM
The Sundered Book...: The Legend of Drizzt: The Collected Stories [Audiobook] 1 9 Sep 08, 2014 06:58AM

• Elminster: The Making of a Mage (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #1)
  • The Sandman Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Professional Integrity (The Riyria Chronicles, #2.6)
  • Player's Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)
  • Dissolution (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #1)
  • Shadowbred (Forgotten Realms: The Twilight War, #1)
  • The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #1)
  • Twilight Falling (Forgotten Realms: Erevis Cale, #1)
  • Elminster in Myth Drannor (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #2)
  • Nights of the Living Dead: An Anthology
  • Dungeon Master's Guide (Dungeons & Dragons, 5th Edition)
  • The Legend of Huma (Dragonlance: Heroes, #1)
  • Formic Wars: Burning Earth
  • City of the Dead (The Rising #2)
  • Bee & Me
  • The Game of Patterns
  • Oi Duck-billed Platypus!
  • The Girl, the Bear and the Magic Shoes
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best-seller list ...more

The Legend of Drizzt (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Homeland (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1)
  • Exile (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #2)
  • Sojourn (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #3)
  • The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4)
  • Streams of Silver (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #5)
  • The Halfling's Gem (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #6)
  • The Legacy (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #7)
  • Starless Night (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #8)
  • Siege of Darkness (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #9)
  • Passage to Dawn (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #4; Legend of Drizzt, #10)
“My writing is my internal dialogue—” 1 likes