Start by marking “Prayers of the Cosmos: Reflections on the Original Meaning of Jesus's Words” as Want to Read:
Prayers of the Cosmos: Reflections on the Original Meaning of Jesus's Words

Prayers of the Cosmos: Reflections on the Original Meaning of Jesus's Words

Neil Douglas-Klotz offers a radical new translation of the words of Jesus Christ with Prayers of the Cosmos. Reinterpreting the Lord’s Prayer and the Beatitudes from the vantage of Middle Eastern mysticism, Douglas-Klotz, the Sufi Founder of the worldwide network of the Dances of Universal Peace, reveals a mystical, feminist, cosmic Christ. Prayers of the Cosmos is a spiri ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by HarperOne (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Prayers of the Cosmos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prayers of the Cosmos

Hope
Sep 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A deceptively simple little book with a paradigm-shifting perspective. Ever wonder what Jesus ACTUALLY said -- in Aramaic, his native language -- when he prayed "Our Father Who Art in Heaven?" Mind-blowing insights into the rich, multi-layered metaphorical nuances of Aramaic -- as opposed to the narrow, rigid and confining Greek tongue -- the language into which the Bible was corseted... Profound. This book literally changed my life.
Karen
Jun 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This wonder by Neil Douglas-Klotz translates the words of Jesus directly from His native tongue, the Aramaic. As we know, his words and prayers were translated to Hebrew, Greek, Latin and English. For example, 1 phrase of the OUR FATHER translates into a number of deeply enriching thoughts. His following book is Blessings of the Cosmos. The come with CDs for listening and meditation. When I first read Prayers Of the cosmos I felt deeply drawn to the person of Jesus thinking,"This is someone I wa ...more
claire
May 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I read this intermittently. It's by my bed for times when it seems right to pick it up again and read part of it. It's an interesting way to reframe religious dogma. We get a taste of what it may have been that the man named Jesus was really trying to convey. For some reason it never feels religious to me at all...it just feels stimulating in mind, body and spirit. Maybe not good for a light read though...if you have any kind of spiritual practice, I would recommend having it around.
Irvina
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
Excellent. Trusting the King James (or other, more modern versions, for that matter) translation of the words of Jesus is a grave mistake. Looking at the the original language is quite the eye opener!
Jude Arnold
Mar 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Neil Douglas Klotz' Prayers of the Cosmos contains the seeds for revolution!
His translation of Jesus' words is much fuller and richer than the King James.
See for yourself! This is just one possible translation of the Lord's Prayer.
"O Birther! Father-Mother of the Cosmos!
"Hear the one Sound that created all others, in this way the Name is hallowed in silence.
"Create your reign of unity now!
"As we find your love in ours, let heaven and nature form a new creation.
"Grant what we need each day in bre
Ivan Benedict
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is an interesting book of meditations, mainly
mainly dealing with the Lord's Prayer and the Beatitudes.
It uses the Aramaic New Testament for translating and
digging at the meanings of words and phrases. Since
these are words of Jesus, and he surely spoke them in
Aramaic, because that was the language of the day in
that place, the nuances that the Aramaic language brings
to the meditation are interesting and probably important.
We have these words in Greek, which is a considerably
different la
Tommy Hill
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
At first, this book was a pretty tough read, it was a little bit difficult to stay interested. There was a point where I thought about putting it down when I wasn't really even through the second page. Once I really got into the book, however, I really actually was intrigued in the possibility that all of the Christian prayers for the past two millennia may have been mistranslated. I then saw the beautiful level of depth that would have been thought to be unthinkable, and at the time I was amaze ...more
Karin
Jan 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book was like having the secret password to a truth hidden in plain sight. I have revisited this book so many times over many years and find new meaning each time. As one deeply interested in both language and truth and how very infrequently the two are married (!) I found this book to be perfect in every way. I cannot believe it has taken me so long to remember to add it to my Goodreads list!!!
Jiri Bryan
Sep 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Years ago I wanted to throw it out. (Dark looking Jesus from the jacket scared me almost to death) But I kept it in the basket. Now Im learning the prayer (sometimes with my wife), step by step. Cool guy, that Yeshua...
Před lety jsem ji chtěl vyhodit. (Temný Ježíš na obálce děsil mne téměř k smrti.) Ale nechal jsem ji v košíku. Učím se teď - krok za krokem - tu modlitbu (někdy s manželkou). Prima kluk, ten Jošua...
Susan Slack
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A transformational book for many who had let their Christianity and faith of all kinds, fade. This translation of the "Lord's Prayer" from Aramaic, the language Jesus probably spoke, into English provides several possibilities of meaning to each line. Also gives pronunciation of the Aramaic. Great work from a scholar and personally spiritual man.
T.O. Weller
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reading and hearing the Lord's Prayer in the original Aramaic is as eye opening as I'd hoped it would be. Now, if only this could fall into the hands of more "literalists", who still think the KJV is the "final word".
Jean Barker
Feb 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Alternative translation of The Lord's Prayer and Beatitudes using aramaic words of Jesus. If one is open to a translation of the Lord's Prayer that doesn't portrait a paternalistic Father, but more of a communicant, I definitely recommend this book.
Maria
Feb 08, 2008 added it
Currently Re-reading this book. I am so drawn to this culture and find the Aramaic translations fascinating and truly soul awakening. Asimple phrase in our language can translate to a full page of amazing, heart warming dialogue in Aramaic!
Jonathan
Nov 21, 2009 added it
Shelves: theology
None
Joan Huenemann Michie
Fascinating - a new look at the Jesus stories
Launchingstars
This is an on going study and daily meditation
Galateia
Jul 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Very mystical and very interesting.
Lindsay
Dec 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful interpretation of these classic versus. Thank you Neil Douglas-Klotz for re-imagining this language -- bringing it closer to the heart.
Kathy
May 13, 2018
Samadhi
Nov 22, 2007
Catherine
rated it did not like it
Feb 23, 2015

• The Cup of Our Life: A Guide for Spiritual Growth
  • Metaphysical Bible Dictionary
  • Original Blessing
  • The Wisdom Jesus: Transforming Heart and Mind
  • The Sins of Scripture: Exposing the Bible's Texts of Hate to Reveal the God of Love
  • Prayer and Temperament
  • The 72 Names of God: Technology for the Soul
  • Here and Now: Living in the Spirit
  • Sanctuary of the Soul: Journey Into Meditative Prayer
  • At the Root of This Longing: Reconciling a Spiritual Hunger and a Feminist Thirst
  • Beauty: The Invisible Embrace
  • Celtic Daily Prayer: Prayers and Readings From the Northumbria Community
  • Reading Judas: The Gospel of Judas and the Shaping of Christianity
  • Earth Prayers: From Around the World: 365 Prayers, Poems, and Invocations for Honoring the Earth
  • Sleeping with Bread: Holding What Gives You Life
  • What's the Least I Can Believe and Still Be a Christian?: A Guide to What Matters Most
  • Stages of Faith: The Psychology of Human Development
Dr. Neil Douglas-Klotz is an internationally known scholar in the fields connecting religious studies and psychology as well as a poet and musician. He is the author of:
*Prayers of the Cosmos: Meditations on the Aramaic Words of Jesus (1990);
*Desert Wisdom: The Middle Eastern Tradition from the Goddess Through the Sufis (1995);
*The Hidden Gospel: Decoding the Spirituality of the Aramaic Jesus (1